• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Special Effect Contest #4 - Path to Mastery

Status
Not open for further replies.
hive-logo-m-png.335473

ct_special-effect-png.323625

contest-png.311487
p_hash-png.311483
4-png.311477

sfx4-banner-png.334890

sfx4-ptm-png.332473

Contestants must create three versions of an effect of their choosing,
each one a more masterful form than the last.

other_rules_and_conditions-png.311513

• No submission may violate any of the site rules.
  • All submissions must follow the current theme. If any model does not fit, a moderator will tell you as soon as possible as to avoid confusion.

sfx-contest-rule-png.332238

• The post containing your final submission must also contain the following:
    • An in-game screenshot showing your submission in action.
    • All files in their appropriate formats - including any textures you might have made.

• You must show at least one unfinished preview of your submission, as proof it is yours.
  • Custom textures that aren't edits of in-game ones must be at least 60% freehand. Contestants must present at least one WIP of said textures.
  • Your submission may not be started/made before the official launch of the contest. This includes any animation, meshes, or textures made by other users before the official launch of the contest and material made by users not participating in the contest.

• Judges may not participate.
  • Your final submission must work in-game and be bug-free.
  • For convenience, you may isolate certain animation phases of your effect (see Death Coil Missile and Death Coil Special Art).
  • Feel free to ask if you have any questions regarding the rules.
If a submission does not follow the model submission rules the creator will be disqualified.
Breaking any of these rules may lead to punishment in the judgement score, up to disqualification from the contest, depending on the weight of the issue. In case of doubts towards a certain rule you are very encouraged to discuss it in the contest thread so others and judges may help with sorting it out.

other_tips-png.326906

• Your entry may be a combination of effect types. For instance, the first effect could be a buff; the second one a small-scale ability; and the final one an ultimate.

other_prizes-png.311512

• 1st place: 40 reputation points.
  • 2nd place: 25 reputation points.
  • 3rd place: 10 reputation points.
  • Entry: 5 reputation points.
  • Judge: 5 reputation points.
The three winners will receive an award icon representing the winning entry.

other_judges-png.311510

other_contest_judging-png.311506

Aesthetics
Are the effects impressive, and made in good measure? Are the animations fluid?/15

Creativity
How inventive and original are the ideas?/15

Integration
How well do the models work in-game? Do they have fitting sounds? Are they excessive to the point of hindering visibility?/15

Theme
How well do the effects fit the theme? Are they cohesive?/15

/60

• Judgement: 70%
  • Poll: 30%
FinalScore = (30*Reached_Votes/POSSIBLE_VOTES) + (70*JudgeScore/100)

other_dates_and_deadline-png.311507

The contest shall begin on 15th October 2019 and conclude on 5th November 2019 GMT (day is included).

Assigned Staff: Heinvers

The Poll | Results

Last edited:
Mostly Magos'. Sometimes mdlvis is involved.
I'm impressed, I had thought you had access to something better. I admire your work even more now. If you've got a minute how do you create rotations over time in magos? I always have trouble getting a plane to make a full 360 rotation over 1 second without looking weird.

I'm impressed, I had thought you had access to something better. I admire your work even more now. If you've got a minute how do you create rotations over time in magos? I always have trouble getting a plane to make a full 360 rotation over 1 second without looking weird.
That's where mdlvis comes in for me. Rotation input is in Quaternion, not degrees, so I either do the rotation with mdlvis, or use an online Euler-to-Quaternion calculator.
I'd ask though if you can see this taking off and ending in success @Mythic ?
I do. :)

Good to have you. :) If that's a particle, you can try making it an XY Quad (at least 1 speed and latitude is required). Sprinkling a bit of color, rings, and smaller particles wouldn't hurt. You could raise quads to minimize ground clipping.

Your entry can be anything, it just has to reflect this:
First Post said:
Contestants must create three versions of an effect of their choosing,
each one a more masterful form than the last.

Level 4
Good to have you. :) If that's a particle, you can try making it an XY Quad (at least 1 speed and latitude is required). Sprinkling a bit of color, rings, and smaller particles wouldn't hurt. You could raise quads to minimize ground clipping.

Your entry can be anything, it just has to reflect this:
it's not a particle, it's actually just one billboarded plane and an omni light :>

But thank you though and I want to participate in this event just for the fun of it :v

Sign me up (for spanking, not SFX creation)
Yes daddy!

I think I want to give a try on this. Gonna do a nature themed aura, despite my newbie sfx skills.

View attachment 336305

So, how does it look? This is the first one out of three, so it's supposed to be underwhelming.
Dude, that's a cool start! The static center could probably slowly rotate as well to give it a living feel.

Hey! I was having some fun playing with a last minute WIP for this. Not sure where it will end up, but I was playing with putting a bunch of ribbons and particles in a circle, maybe to make some kind of fel orb.
We'll see where it ends up.

orb_of_fel-gif.336676

Attachments

• orb_of_fel.gif
    orb_of_fel.gif
    5.1 MB · Views: 509
Status
Not open for further replies.