• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Special Effect Contest #6 - Stairway to Heaven

Status
Not open for further replies.
hive-logo-m-png.335473

special-png.337102
effect-png.337106

contest-png.337105
6-png.347561

sfx6-banner-2-png.347562

sth-png.347565

As we wind on down the road, effect creation calls out to our souls. Contestants must create two light-themed effects.

other_rules_and_conditions-png.311513

• No submission may violate any of the site rules.
  • All submissions must follow the current theme. If any model does not fit, a moderator will tell you as soon as possible as to avoid confusion.

sfx6-section-png.347655

• You must show at least one unfinished preview of your submission, as proof it is yours.
  • Custom textures that aren't edits of in-game ones must be at least 60% freehand. Contestants must present at least one WIP of said textures.
  • Your submission may not be started/made before the official launch of the contest. This includes any animation, meshes, or textures made by other users before the official launch of the contest and material made by users not participating in the contest.
  • Judges may not participate.
  • Your final submission must work in-game and be bug-free.
  • For convenience, you may isolate certain animation phases of your effect (see Death Coil Missile and Death Coil Special Art).
  • Feel free to ask if you have any questions regarding the rules.
If a submission does not follow the model submission rules the creator will be disqualified.
Breaking any of these rules may lead to punishment in the judgement score, up to disqualification from the contest, depending on the weight of the issue. In case of doubts towards a certain rule you are very encouraged to discuss it in the contest thread so others and judges may help with sorting it out.

other_prizes-png.311512

• 1st place: 40 reputation points
  • 2nd place: 30 reputation points
  • 3rd place: 20 reputation points
  • Entry: 10 reputation points
  • Judge: 10 reputation points per entrant
The three winners will receive an award icon representing the winning entry.

other_judges-png.311510

other_contest_judging-png.311506

Aesthetics
Are the effects impressive, and made in good measure? How is the attention to detail?/30

Animations
How natural, smooth, and appropriate are the animations? /15

Creativity
How inventive and original are the ideas?/30

Integration
How well do the models work in-game? Do they have fitting sounds? Are they excessive to the point of hindering visibility?/10

Theme
How well do the effects fit the theme?/15

/100

• Judgement: 70%
  • Poll: 30%
FinalScore = (30*Reached_Votes/TOTAL_VOTES) + (70*Average_Judge_Score/POSSIBLE_SCORE)

other_dates_and_deadline-png.311507

The contest shall begin on 4th July 2020 and conclude on 22nd August 2020 GMT (day included).

Assigned Staff: Mythic

Previous Contest | Poll | Results

Last edited:
Level 16
Just going to express my sheer excitement for this contest :p
(Even though i don't know anything to join)

\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/

Level 17

I intended it to be used as an invulnerability spell like Divine Shield, and the brightness helps indicate that you can't attack the caster.
Oh yeah its fairly obvious it's Divine Shield :) I just think the intensity/saturation is a little high, the Paladin gets lost in the particles, do those geosets have animations with color overlay? Maybe that's why, dunno...or im just crazy:)))

Level 48
Wrath of The Archangels

Well, holy shit. Now there's an old name... Wasn't aware you're still around. :)

I'm not sure yet but I think I might enter this one. Question, can we separate our effect into a couple of models for the purpose of attaching different parts of it to different parts of the target model (e.g a buff that goes on Overhead and Right Hand, Left Hand?).

Last edited:
Level 35
Well, holy shit. Now there's an old name... Wasn't aware you're still around. :)

I'm not sure yet but I think I might enter this one. Question, can we separate our effect into a couple of models for the purpose of attaching different parts of it to different parts of the target model (e.g a buff that goes on Overhead and Right Hand, Left Hand?).

OG's unite!

The contest rules states we can decompose our SFX into separate pieces. It's what I am doing in mine as well.

Level 22
May we have another extension? I have this awesome concept in mind for the second FX but I would require more time. Frankly, I believe we all would love some additional time :)
I second this as well.

WIth another extension, we can unleash more dazzling holy light for all to behold! So yea, another extension would be ideal

Fantastic.

So, here's my concept for the second FX. I call it, Divine Intervention
Birth - An angelic knight falls down from the heavens, unleashing a holy shockwave and poses a victorious stance and the end of the animation.
DI_WIP_B.gif

Stand - The knight then stands still while blessing the area around him, a la Tranquility.
The last frame of the Birth animation

Death - The knight takes flight and returns back to the heavens, unleashing another shockwave but with lighter tones like a supportive ability.
DI_WIP_D.gif

Level 16
Yeah, I dunno I think I'm gonna stick to 2D art, this seems a lot of work for just some effects, aka. I'm all out of ideas :)))

I think your original Holy Aura that looked like a Holy healing Aura with plus signs going up is very unique and something that is not done in the model section.
And you should consider going back to that idea, imo atleast. :p

Last edited:
Fantastic.

So, here's my concept for the second FX. I call it, Divine Intervention
Birth - An angelic knight falls down from the heavens, unleashing a holy shockwave and poses a victorious stance and the end of the animation.

Stand - The knight then stands still while blessing the area around him, a la Tranquility.
The last frame of the Birth animation

Death - The knight takes flight and returns back to the heavens, unleashing another shockwave but with lighter tones like a supportive ability.

Looks awesome! Hope you enter this!

Status
Not open for further replies.