• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Special Effect Contest #5 - Highway to Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can avoid this by not using Thunder Clap or War Stomp. This is actually just a normal Thunder Clap with a different effect. If you're talking about the cracked ground, I don't think that one causes lag, as it's just an ubersplat.

Looks great, but it's kinda low-res.
Nah I mean terrain deformation (the waves, not the ubersplat). Especially earthquake and shockwave really messes up big maps.

You can see what I mean here: The Fountain of Youth (Evil spells showcase) - YouTube | HIVE

Level 35
Updated the ribbons, and added more lighting.

giphy.gif

Updated the ribbons, and added more lighting.

giphy.gif

Looks really great! Vortex is quite large compared to the actual burst though. I was expecting something bigger to come out.

Anyways, I've decided to remove the spinning runes on my first effect. No visuals, though. Just imagine my latest post without the spinning runes.

Second effect's first WIP:

full

Looks really great! Vortex is quite large compared to the actual burst though. I was expecting something bigger to come out.

Anyways, I've decided to remove the spinning runes on my first effect. No visuals, though. Just imagine my latest post without the spinning runes.

Second effect's first WIP:

full
Good start. I like the stars. :) I assume it's a channeling one this time?

Level 6
Here's a WIP of my first SFX :

DemonicArmor_WIP01.gif

It's intended to be an attachment buff for abilities like Inner Fire or Unholy Frenzy. Works well at the moment using the head attachment on a lot of units. However units like Bloodmage with weird head attachment point won't look great with it, unfortunately.
I don't think I'll change the mask at this point, the black generic glow needs to be bigger/more visible IG, and the wings need a lot of work. I didn't even UV-unwrapped them. I'll make them way smaller, better animations (the GIF displays the Stand animation, I'll probably add some variants to the Stand animation, the Birth animation needs more polish and the Death animation isn't made yet), and a scrolling texture (probably additive red-ish thing) to represent the patagium.

With the custom black generic glow texture the final size will probably be around 75kb.

I haven't started to work on my second SFX, but I was wondering if I could make a SFX like Volcano (an object that can be used as an SFX, but doesn't scream "I'm just a SFX"). Technically Volcano is a doodad, that's why I'm asking.

View attachment 345429

It's intended to be an attachment buff for abilities like Inner Fire or Unholy Frenzy. Works well at the moment using the head attachment on a lot of units. However units like Bloodmage with weird head attachment point won't look great with it, unfortunately.
I don't think I'll change the mask at this point, the black generic glow needs to be bigger/more visible IG, and the wings need a lot of work. I didn't even UV-unwrapped them. I'll make them way smaller, better animations (the GIF displays the Stand animation, I'll probably add some variants to the Stand animation, the Birth animation needs more polish and the Death animation isn't made yet), and a scrolling texture (probably additive red-ish thing) to represent the patagium.

With the custom black generic glow texture the final size will probably be around 75kb.

I haven't started to work on my second SFX, but I was wondering if I could make a SFX like Volcano (an object that can be used as an SFX, but doesn't scream "I'm just a SFX"). Technically Volcano is a doodad, that's why I'm asking.

Whoa, man, that's something else!

Did you make the mask yourself or is it from another model? I'm not really sure if that's a 3d model or a billboared plane.

You're going to have to ask @Mythic for that volcano question.

Level 35

View attachment 345429

Have you tried the Generic Glow Mod from Orb of Corruption to save filesize? Alternatively you can use Black + Blend mode on Flare.blp, or GenericGlow5.blp

Level 6
Second (and probably last) WIP for this SFX.

DemonicArmor_WIP02.gif

Birth ; Death ; Stand (played 3 times) ; Stand 2

Thanks JetFangInferno, I found the perfect texture : Shadow.blp
However, the file's size is now 94kb. I obviously underestimated the size that a second Stand animation would take (I don't think the rigged 96 tris for the patagium are in fault).

I'll probably just polish the particle emitter, and maybe add another one at the beginning of the Birth animation, then this SFX will be ready.

Level 35
Second (and probably last) WIP for this SFX.

View attachment 345472
Birth ; Death ; Stand (played 3 times) ; Stand 2

Thanks JetFangInferno, I found the perfect texture : Shadow.blp
However, the file's size is now 94kb. I obviously underestimated the size that a second Stand animation would take (I don't think the rigged 96 tris for the patagium are in fault).

I'll probably just polish the particle emitter, and maybe add another one at the beginning of the Birth animation, then this SFX will be ready.

Wow clever use of the crystal texture + texture anim for the wings. I'm just a particle nerd so I admire your ability to create stuff from scratch. Dope!

Level 6
So, WIP of my second entry.
I must admit, I lost more than a week working on a different effect that I originally intended to make, but it just... wasn't working as an entry for this contest.
And since I only have 3 days left, it won't be as polished as I would like to.
But anyway, this is an effect intended to be used like Entangling Roots : 2 chains spawning from the ground for the Birth animation, going through the target, and hitting a transparent-ish spectre (not even rigged yet... I'm screwed) who will "bleed" a dark fluid.
On the ground, the 2 planes on top of eachother will be particles (one black fire, and the second one red fire) circling around the target. And some writings too.

Early rough work by the way :

CurseHell_WIP01.png

CurseHell_WIP02.png

WIP of the texture :
CurseHell_texture.png

I don't know which font I will keep for the moment, but one of them won't make it through to the final texture. And I'll probably "draw" (just a quick vectorial shape) the hook for the end of the chains myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.