• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Special Effect Contest #3 - Light and Darkness

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 17
Rising_Dusk said:
You can't just add 2-3 weeks to a deadline and hope for more entries, you only do extensions of like 1 week for people who are already working on their stuff to finish up. You might as well just be milking the community for entries at this point. Just extend for like a week for DvO and that other dude, then close it.

Also, contests existing should depend on the number of completed entries for previous contests of the same type. If only a few people enter special effects contests, then it is obvious that in the future the contest isn't really worth existing, since it'll just feed the same people rep over and over and over again. It's okay if something isn't popular, really; if the community truly wanted this kind of contest, there'd be more entries by now.
Can't agree more!

Also, contests existing should depend on the number of completed entries for previous contests of the same type. If only a few people enter special effects contests, then it is obvious that in the future the contest isn't really worth existing, since it'll just feed the same people rep over and over and over again. It's okay if something isn't popular, really; if the community truly wanted this kind of contest, there'd be more entries by now.

We hadn't had an SFX contest for a long while though.

Here's an aura effect I've made, simply called Aura of Death.

attachment.php

I'll just describe how this animates in a small detail:
- The red circle rotate clockwise slowly.
- The skulls don't move, but they will glow from strong red to invisible to strong red and so on. The skulls are also billboarded, so they will always stare at you all the time.
- The black circles implode as if they were a warp portal.

If your effect is an aura, it must have a Birth and Death animation.

I've check through all Blizzards aura models, and they use Stand animation instead of Birth. These models don't use a Birth animation at all.
And only the Devotion Aura model has a Death animation.

Attachments

• auraofdeath.jpg
    auraofdeath.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 262
I've check through all Blizzards aura models, and they use Stand animation instead of Birth. These models don't use a Birth animation at all.
And only the Devotion Aura model has a Death animation.

Oh hmm.

Like I said, this was the first time I used these rules. I'll go change that.

Also I extended the contest to the first of September!

Level 4
Red and Black..Hemm...EMO xD

I thing auras are the coolest thing in Warcraft,it's like... a thing around us xD lol Gratz to all who did those models and spells :))

Level 17
Dark doesn't really need red... I mean, black is usually an essential, yet can be avoided with extreme creativity...

Red however, imo, is just a color that is easiest to dea with when using black (in addition to purple)... yet you can use many other colors for darkness with good creativity... green for example...

Level 10
Here are all of my model for this contest without new deadline,:grin:
6 Model:
Light:
-Angel Swords
-Falling Light
Dark:
-Hell Hole
-Hell Roots (Entangling Roots Buff)
-Shadow Ball
-Forsaken Place
By the way, i love this deadline:thumbs_up:

Attachments

• Swords.jpg
    Swords.jpg
    704.7 KB · Views: 76
  • Light.jpg
    Light.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 87
  • Hole3.jpg
    Hole3.jpg
    694.6 KB · Views: 78
  • Root.jpg
    Root.jpg
    683.7 KB · Views: 67
  • Ball.jpg
    Ball.jpg
    623.1 KB · Views: 98
  • Place.jpg
    Place.jpg
    917.2 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Level 10
umm... what in gods name are those box things in your "forsaken place" effect? they are.. giant black boxes with red crosses on them..... but... why?
Forsaken Place is the place where be abandoned by Gods,this is the place where every devils borned. As you can see this is unholy cross(Antichrist's symbol) in a black box look like a tomb, and there tombs crushed on the target (Try this model in game and you'll see)
Hell Hole is the place where every soul 'll be burn for eternity
Hell Roots is there hands of hell want to drag target to hell
Shadow Ball is the gravity ball
I dont like new deadline because that is very unfair for me and the other like WTA.Why we must wait for other lazy member??

Last edited:
Level 10
Wouldn't it be better to set the boxes's materials to additive to remove the black parts?
I want the box look like it made from hell material that call "hell steel", The box will look more heavy and more unholy, more sharp,more deadly. Let's imagine 4 tons of steel like this 'll crush your body so easily
Currently looks like 3 of your models have the exact same area texture
If you mention,you 'll see "Falling Light" and "Forsaken Place" are a couple of model look like a boy and a girl are in love,i want call "Falling Light" is Holy Judgment" but WTA already take a "Judgment" name so i want a difference
I want "Forsaken Place" look like a Stonehenge of hell, here is Stonehenge
http://image24.webshots.com/24/0/50/35/38905035FUOvTf_fs.jpg

Last edited:
Level 24
Purple Is your Friend Love him and hug him and call him George [OFFTOPICKLE]

Basically yes Red,black make sweet music together but what about green, purple, blue and Why not "White" instead of Red and black try other colors. Heck orange still needs some attention to stop him from Breaking Vases -.-

Level 4
I may join...

Divine Spirit: a lovely projectile meant to be used in fast motion. I was lazy so I just moved it around with my mouse, as a result, the rings are a little skewed and not perfect in the picture.

Attachments

• DivineSpirit.jpg
    DivineSpirit.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 133
Level 35
No wonder the sfx of Lost Odyssey are so amazing, the game's produced by the creators of FF and thus may have utilized some of its renowned textures (look at Annihilation for instance (the last effect)). Only the sfx artist of FF and KH uses that kind of "light" texture for the cracks in the meteor.

Level 4
I lied. I can't join since I'm going out of town this weekend. As a result, I have a map to work on and no free time to create my last few models. Que triste.

Now I feel like a cock tease. >_>

Level 13
fuck that's nice thought i don't like having blue on top it makes it less evil but o well its vary nice =]

Status
Not open for further replies.