• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Special Effect Contest #3 - Light and Darkness

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hive Workshop Special Effect Contest #3!

icons_5181_btn.jpg
icons_622_btn.jpg
icons_5544_btn.jpg
icons_659_btn.jpg
icons_7274_btn.jpg
icons_6031_btn.jpg

Contest Theme: Light and Darkness

Contestants are to make several special effect models that relate to this theme. You must have at least one of each theme (but they all must follow either one of these two themes (or even both, if you can!))

For example, if contestant A made three light SFX and one dark SFX, that would be acceptable. But if contestant B made two light SFX and one mixed SFX, that would not be acceptable. Contestant B needs at least one dark SFX.

Contest Rules And Conditions
  1. No submission may violate any Hive Workshop site rules.
  2. The effect must follow the current theme. If any model does not fit, a moderator will tell you ASAP as to avoid confusion.
  3. Your effects must have the following required animations:
    • If your effect is a buff (such as Frost Armour), it must have Birth, Stand, and Death animations.
    • If your effect is a one-shot effect (such as Flamestrike), it must have a Birth animation.
    • If your effect is an aura, it must have a Stand animation.
    • If your effect is an area effect (such as Death and Decay), it must have Birth and Stand animations.
  4. If you use a Particle 1 emitter (the kind that uses meshes and not billboarded planes), standard contest rules apply to the extra meshes and they must be included with your submission.
  5. You have to make sure the model is fully and correctly functional in-game.
  6. You must post at least 1 WIP preview before the deadline.
  7. You may make as many models as you want, however pick at least three and at most seven for the final judge's evaluation.
  8. To qualify for entry, you must post your model(s) in .mdx format, and an in-game screenshot of the model.
  9. You must post your entry before the deadline expires and attach it to a post.
  10. You must make the model for this competition, which means that you cannot use old works.

Prizes
  • First Place: 50 reputation points and your entry on an award icon.
  • Second Place: 35 reputation points and an award icon
  • Third Place: 20 reputation points and an award icon

Contest Judging And Voting
  • 67 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
    • Score shall be taken out of 50 points,
      • 15 points for effectiveness - Is the effect too simple? Is it too "busy"? Is the effect's purpose clear?
      • 10 points for texture choices and how well they were used
      • 10 points for geometry (including particle emitters and ribbons) - Does the contestant use each particle effectively and not just "spam" them? Is the mesh well-made and appropriate? Are ribbons used in interesting ways?
      • 5 points for creativity
      • 5 points for mechanics (how the effect looks ingame)
      • 5 points for "other" - Does the effect need an ubersplat? Should it have a sound event object? Is it aligned properly so it does not go through the ground/the attached unit? (as appropriate)
  • 33 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.
  • Final Score = (Judge's Score)*1.3 + (votes/(total votes))*35 = (score)/100

Contest Dates And Deadline

All submissions must be complete and submitted 1 month (4 weeks) after the contest is started.
The contest shall begin on Monday, 27th July 2009 and conclude on Tuesday, 1st September 2009, 0:00 AM, 2009 GMT

As always, tell me if you want to judge!

Last edited:
Level 26
hm....particles 1 emit models.
I might want to create a dark sphere or whatever which would be used to create a nova effect. But this sphere would not count as a individual effect, but as a part of another, bigger one.

Level 26
Sure Ill joint this one too ^^

question though, HOW many models? 1 of each AT LEAST? i dont know if that would work to well if you had people be able to make more than the limit....
How would you judge that if someone made 4 pretty good effects vs 1 extremely good effect. Other than that i like the theme. I just think it should be something more finite say for example "1 of each", that way it is easier to compare entries

Level 26
Sure Ill joint this one too ^^

question though, HOW many models? 1 of each AT LEAST? i dont know if that would work to well if you had people be able to make more than the limit....
How would you judge that if someone made 4 pretty good effects vs 1 extremely good effect. Other than that i like the theme. I just think it should be something more finite say for example "1 of each", that way it is easier to compare entries

take a look at point 6 :D

sexeh ribbons o_o

DonDustin said:
hm....particles 1 emit models.
I might want to create a dark sphere or whatever which would be used to create a nova effect. But this sphere would not count as a individual effect, but as a part of another, bigger one.

Sure, that's okay. I'll add it to the rules.

Level 26
Ah ok. :>
But a "holy" model would have made more sense :p

oh and here is a teaser picture of my first sfx.
The concept of this sfx will be some ressurection.

It will have following animation (if I will be able to create them^_^)
Birth:
1. Angel will fall from the sky ( will contain some ribbon effects)
2. Angel will spread wing near the ground.( some dust particles will be at the ground and you can see some feathers flying around)
3. Angel will bend over the target of the spell
Stand:
Angel will blow some magical dust or something over the target
Death:
Angel will fly to the sky again

Attachments

• Angel_Ressurection.JPG
    Angel_Ressurection.JPG
    15.1 KB · Views: 158
Level 28
Would it be allowed to submitt a test map for all SFX? It would make it alot easier to review them. And there would probably be less people who just look at the stuff in Magos due to lazyness.

P.S.
WILL... (un)holy shit!

EDIT:
Done with the previews for some other stuff.
6 models, together they create a substitute for Mass Teleport or Blink.
Holy Warp
WarpHolyPreview.jpg
Dark Warp
WarpDarkPreview.jpg

And then a little thingy I just got in my head.
Something for Faerie Fire or the Huntress tree owl thingy.
Evil Eye
EyePreview.jpg
Evil Pika
Evil Pika.jpg:crazz:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.