• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Special Effect Contest #5 - Highway to Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.
hive-logo-m-png.335473

special-png.337102
effect-png.337106

contest-png.337105
5-png.337104

sfx5-banner-png.337108

highway-to-hell-png.337103

Contestants must dive into the depths of the infernal realms, and return with two effects, tokens to their inner darkness. By demons be driven!

other_rules_and_conditions-png.311513

• No submission may violate any of the site rules.
  • All submissions must follow the current theme. If any model does not fit, a moderator will tell you as soon as possible as to avoid confusion.

sfx5-section-png.337107

• The post containing your final submission must also contain the following:
    • An in-game screenshot showing your submission in action.
    • All files in their appropriate formats - including any textures you might have made.

• You must show at least one unfinished preview of your submission, as proof it is yours.
  • Custom textures that aren't edits of in-game ones must be at least 60% freehand. Contestants must present at least one WIP of said textures.
  • Your submission may not be started/made before the official launch of the contest. This includes any animation, meshes, or textures made by other users before the official launch of the contest and material made by users not participating in the contest.

• Judges may not participate.
  • Your final submission must work in-game and be bug-free.
  • For convenience, you may isolate certain animation phases of your effect (see Death Coil Missile and Death Coil Special Art).

• Feel free to ask if you have any questions regarding the rules.
If a submission does not follow the model submission rules the creator will be disqualified.
Breaking any of these rules may lead to punishment in the judgement score, up to disqualification from the contest, depending on the weight of the issue. In case of doubts towards a certain rule you are very encouraged to discuss it in the contest thread so others and judges may help with sorting it out.

other_prizes-png.311512

• 1st place: 40 reputation points.
  • 2nd place: 25 reputation points.
  • 3rd place: 10 reputation points.
  • Entry: 5 reputation points.
  • Judge: 5 reputation points.
The three winners will receive an award icon representing the winning entry.

other_judges-png.311510

other_contest_judging-png.311506

Aesthetics
Are the effects impressive, and made in good measure? How is the attention to detail?/25

Animations
How natural, smooth, and appropriate are the animations? /15

Creativity
How inventive and original are the ideas? How much skill do the effects demonstrate?/20

Integration
How well do the models work in-game? Do they have fitting sounds? Are they excessive to the point of hindering visibility?/15

Theme
How well do the effects fit the theme?/15

/90

• Judgement: 70%
  • Poll: 30%
FinalScore = (30*Reached_Votes/POSSIBLE_VOTES) + (70*JudgeScore/100)

other_dates_and_deadline-png.311507

The contest shall begin on 10th January 2020 and conclude on 14th February 2020 GMT (day is included).

Assigned Staff: Heinvers

Previous Contest | Poll | Results

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Get ready for some tough competition
Looks good but has to be more visible. The big sphere/explosion is being taken in by the big circle. David's star and the circle of cirlces around it suddenly shift position to the left at the end. The dissipate FX is either too small or too dark to be seen clearly.

So I've got this but I don't know how to make it do what I want. Does anyone know how to force a particle (the hands) to always face straight forward (would be invisible if viewed from directly above) instead of angle with the camera? Also, is there a way to tell the particles to render in layers? For example, bubbles, then hands, then puddle - so that the hands never end up behind the big puddle?
Untitled Project.gif

Level 35
So I've got this but I don't know how to make it do what I want. Does anyone know how to force a particle (the hands) to always face straight forward (would be invisible if viewed from directly above) instead of angle with the camera? Also, is there a way to tell the particles to render in layers? For example, bubbles, then hands, then puddle - so that the hands never end up behind the big puddle?
View attachment 344533

To render layers, modify the priority plane (0 is default). I use - 2 to 2 to create 5 layers of depth for example.

For your arms to render as front-facing from above, you can use particles flagged as Head.

Assuming you have your priority plane setup properly, it should show on top of the puddle.

Cool concept!

To render layers, modify the priority plane (0 is default). I use - 2 to 2 to create 5 layers of depth for example.

For your arms to render as front-facing from above, you can use particles flagged as Head.

Assuming you have your priority plane setup properly, it should show on top of the puddle.

Cool concept!
Awesome, thanks!

I've always dreamed of making a demonic version of Flamestrike.

Preview of the final frame of my second effect, Annihilation.

View attachment 344601

--

P.S. does anyone know how to make the images not take up the full post window?
Crop/resize them or just put them in spoiler tags.

It's damn hot how the caster becomes a dark figure in the flames. <3

It's atmospheric. I like how you slowed the spinning. Fading for the face is spot-on.

Wow, I just realized it. Must be because of the 3 different shockwave effects and the dark ground. I'm pretty sure it affects other units too, so that's a downside.

Thanks for the short review ;)

One little remark I have is that it seems like you're using terrain deformations. Terrain deformations causes heavy lag in big maps with lots of destructables :(

You can avoid this by not using Thunder Clap or War Stomp. This is actually just a normal Thunder Clap with a different effect. If you're talking about the cracked ground, I don't think that one causes lag, as it's just an ubersplat.

I think I might hop in, can't guarantee to finish though ^^

There's my wip

Looks great, but it's kinda low-res.

Status
Not open for further replies.