1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Travel to distant realms and encounter scenes unknown to the common folk. The Greatest of Adventures is upon us with the 8th Cinematic Contest. Join in on a fun ride.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 18th Icon Contest is ON! Choose any ingame unit and give him/her Hero abilities. Good luck to all.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Contestants are to create a scene set in the Stone Age. Come and see what you can come up with. We wish you the best of luck!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Colour outside the lines! Techtree Contest #13 is a go. The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Greetings cerebrates, our Swarm needs new spawners that will have numerous children. Join the HIVE's 31st Modeling Contest - Spawners and Spawned! The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Melee Mapping Contest #2 - 1 vs 1

Discussion in 'Contest Archive' started by Mr.Henci, Aug 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr.Henci

Mr.Henci

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Still have a lot of IRL stuff to do, but had some time today, hopefully this weekend will be easy, so I have enought time to work on it.
    WIP#2

WIP2.png

2. Blood Raven

Blood Raven

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Amazing, my map got corrupted. For the third time. And this time all my backups are corrupted aswell.
    Guess this is it for me, unless I can resolve it somehow. I'm gonna open a thread on the forums I guess...

EDIT: If anyone wishes to help, here's the link [Crash] - My melee map got corrupted...
    EDIT2: Got help, all shall be fine and all manner of thing shall be fine.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
  3. Remixer

Remixer

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    For some reason I stopped receiving notifications from this thread, well lets see if I start to re-receive them. Another work-in-progress image from me.

"Something to achieve something great, you need to do less glamorous things."

ContentsImage.jpg

4. RFWH

RFWH

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    @Avahor

I tested out your map.
    My printscreen failed, but here are some bugs:

- at the left side red creep there is a water glitch (sharp corners)
    - the top right Zeppelin Goblin is way too close to the edge and my Shredder spawned stuck in a corner (luckily, he can chop trees but this must be fixed, also there is nothing to obscure the edge of the map, it just looks weird and hard to see it)
    - Seems that the main and second base are far apart but just my opinion.
    - The lizards all over the map have collision and sometimes impede troop movement.
    - The entrance to the first expansion is very tight and sort of hard to see, i would widen it a little.

Otherwise it was a fun play and the layout of the map, in general, makes sense, it is fast paced.
    Yours
    ~~~~

@Blood Raven
    How the hell did you get that skybox background and invisible tiles???????/

5. Avahor

Avahor

Resources:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:

Hey, I've checked and made some improvements. map is updated now
    Answers to your points in yellow.
    Thanks for testing the map!.

- at the left side red creep there is a water glitch (sharp corners)
    Can you show me where is it?
    - the top right Zeppelin Goblin is way too close to the edge and my Shredder spawned stuck in a corner (luckily, he can chop trees but this must be fixed, also there is nothing to obscure the edge of the map, it just looks weird and hard to see it)
    - I relocated some trees and moved the shop location to fix this issue
    - Seems that the main and second base are far apart but just my opinion.
    yeah, this is subjective
    - The lizards all over the map have collision and sometimes impede troop movement.
    All foot critters have collision enabled (16), they are part of map layout. they are useful for some players strategy
    - The entrance to the first expansion is very tight and sort of hard to see, i would widen it a little.
    I've relocated some bad positioned trees, the entrance now is wider

Have a nice day

6. Remixer

Remixer

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Using a sky-sphere instead of a sky-box (Warcraft 3 skybox only has 2 edges) gives you 360-radius sky that covers the Z axis as well. Then import a completely transparent terrain tile into the map (this is called "Alpha Tile") and use a sky texture of your liking. Voi´la

7. Blood Raven

Blood Raven

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Pretty much what Remixer said. I've imported a custom skybox (skysphere) model under the path "Environment\Sky\DalaranSky\DalaranSky.mdx", then created a trigger in the map initialization to set the sky to dalaran sky.
    There are a couple of obvious problems when doing this for melee maps however. The fog of war will apply as a texture to the alpha tile and screw its transparency, so anything below it that is covered in fog will be invisible until you reveal it (luckily the skybox is unaffected). That's why I can't make hanging gardens and huge pillars downwards, which is a shame.

EDIT: Here's my 4th WiP, the outer ring is under construction :D
    I can't help but wonder if I've made the map too big and complicated for 2 players...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
  8. Avahor

Avahor

Resources:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
  9. Arrr

Arrr

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    see you are all doing well, nice. Didn't get notifications for a long time, I thought something went wrong with the contest //

Here is a quick layout wip, nothing too fancy and I don't know if I'll actually go with this one - dropping it here just in case.

@Blood Raven your map does seem really big. Maybe you could create more paths without breaking the theme? I don't know. (you could use invisible platforms and debris doodads to simulate bridges, something along those lines)

Attached Files:

10. JaleVeliki

JaleVeliki

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
  11. RFWH

RFWH

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Does this require the World Editor Plus or whatever? The only tile I can think of is the Twisting Nether tile.
    What is sky sphere?
    Maybe send me a personal message

Yours~~~~

@Arrr looks really good, plz continue!

12. Remixer

Remixer

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    @RFWH
    No, it does not necessarily require World Editor Extended, but it of course helps (marginally).
    Sky sphere is a model - generally Warcraft III uses a sky box model to display the sky. The default sky box is just two planes that rotate around the camera, so that wherever you look, you see the two planes with the texture of the sky (which ever you use). Sky sphere is a sphere-shaped model that like the planes, display the sky texture - to use it you simply import a sky sphere model into your map and "replace" the default sky box model. As the model changes from two (vertical) planes into a sphere, it is able to also cover the top and bottom of the camera-view.

Alpha tile is simply a terrain art texture that is completely transparent (Alpha = 0). The ground that uses the alpha tile texture is also transparent. Usually you would see black void, as the standard sky box model does not cover the "below of the ground" but using sky sphere allows you to display sky beneath the ground, thus giving the immersion that the ground is up in the sky.

EDIT:

Finished my entry. Here is link to the resource: (2) Torn World

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
  13. Ragnaros17

Ragnaros17

Resources:
    Resources:
    , when you uploaded your map to have help with your wc3 file corrupted, I could access to you map and it secrets: muahahahaha!!. just kidding, if you want to know my opinion since you said:

"can't help but wonder if I've made the map too big and complicated for 2 players"

even if is a 160x160 the players are not in the corners so distances can work (I think), a chrono timing how much time do you need to reach X from Y will help too.
    Try to do this, copy paste all units (buildings) and paste them in a new 96x96 map. If they fit your are fine.
    I am working in a 128x128 and I did that to be sure about the distances,

when using ramps, try to use the most wide ramps you can use, or even use normal terrain like Terenas Stand, try that the ramps and paths to be wide, avoid chokepoints and bottlenecks where heroes can be trapped and killed. The 6 ramps of the tavern area seems small.

Great, Lordaeron summer tile-set appeared!!, looks nice.

Seems everything is all well placed for a melee map, I can´t say more until look inside the editor, creeps types and loot.

I saw the layout in the WIP before and I think is very clever, glad that I can see the details inside the map now.

edit:

outland creeps were a surprise, and a lot of doodads, nice work,

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
  14. Kam

Kam

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
  15. The Panda

The Panda

Icon Reviewer

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Just some Scenery.

Attached Files:

• 6.PNG
      6.PNG
      File size:
      5 MB
      Views:
    • 7.PNG
      7.PNG
      File size:
      5.5 MB
      Views:
    • 8.PNG
      8.PNG
      File size:
      5.4 MB
      Views:
  16. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Are the map reviewers allowed or is it endorsed for them to set the proper status of the contest entries in the Maps section?

17. Mr.Henci

Mr.Henci

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    In my opinion, reviews should be allowed like it was during the last contest. It gives mappers idea what can be changed in their map before deadline, so their map can be more polished.

18. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    @Naze you OK with this?

19. The Panda

The Panda

Icon Reviewer

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
  20. Naze

Naze

Arena Moderator

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Resources meant for contests shouldn't be approved/rejected/set to awaiting update before the contest ends.

It is okay to have users giving feedback in this thread or in the resource comments (we're not locking them anymore).

But official reviews by the staff should wait until the contest ends.

That's how we're doing it nowadays.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.