• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Role Playing Game] Iceborn

Which of the following options would be the most enjoyable for you?

• Long gameplay.

Votes: 38 22.4%
  • Complex ability interaction with each other.

Votes: 15 8.8%
  • Abundance of ability special effects.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Astonishing feel and atmosphere, also a great storyline to follow.

Votes: 81 47.6%
  • More events where mind is put to the test and less of hack'n'slash.

Votes: 25 14.7%
  • Something else. (I would be thankful to be informed about it)

Votes: 4 2.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 31
Thanks, TrollWarlord. :)

Development started since 2012 december and during this time I worked on it only 4 months roughly, because I had two big breaks.

EDIT: Terrain update. This is the place where beginning cinematic may start.
5ar5.png

Level 31
Thanks, Hell_Master. :)

Another update. Cinematic area as well. It reminds me of a boat, perhaps I will give it a name like that. :) To scale it, it is tremendously huge , because this is the place where Boetherians (similar to titans) hangs. Background is rather empty, maybe I will think something out.

i757.png

j161.png

Level 7
Awesome! But I wonder how those models, sound, etc can fit into a map. I mean how much a map can handle those?

Level 23
Yo, my map takes over a minute to save but i've ~45.000 lines of code. But i thought it would take 15min to save ur map. strange
It's the triggers and the generated variables (pre-placed units, destructibles etc) that take the most time. Slamming in the imports will only ever be as slow as your hard drive; it might be noticeable but it won't ever be the killer.

Level 7
Only using a bit of model I assumed? only 140 mb XD How much does sound takes space, is it more than a average model?

Level 31
Music tracks are several MBs and a transmission of 20 seconds is about 600 KBs. Models also take a lot of space, it shouldn't be underestimated. :) I do not aim to increase its size, I just stopped limiting myself, that is why the number is rather high and it keeps growing.

Level 7
I do not aim for increasing its size :p There is one time my map is reach 20mb because i just import 3 songs for the lolz, then my map could not be open in the editor anymore :<

So I had to make a new map :<

Level 31
At the moment not so much time for the development of this project due to rough studies, yet I manage to find some time for it. Next week I am going to Egypt for a week so map is on hold next week for a bit.

I also contacted Ralle and asked about map size limit for uploading here and he said he will make it happen despite limits. :)

What is more, I started editing models and skins even more within time so it opens opportunities for much better terrains. :)

I just can't end news message without a screenie, so here is the WIP of a new area.
2ng2.png

Level 31
After two weeks of a break I am back. Couldn't continue work due to my trip as well as studies, it might still be time consuming though.

To start with, here are some latest reskins. By reskinning model adapts to the theme of this map very well. These are reskinned Gruul, Stone Keeper and Roshan from Dota 2. Also in these screenies a ton of models can be found that are roughly edited or reskinned as well.

Later on there are screenies of an area shown previously as a WIP. Last picture is game camera view. I know, it might look too spacy or empty at this very moment, yet I might add material to it filling it up that is not related with terrain, but gameplay. There will be a puzzle for doors to open.

gnot.png

x7c7.png

u8n1.png

g9a.bmp

Level 30
No wonder your avatar is with relation with the model there, it is in your project. By the way, those are nice reskin though. Terrain might be empty as what you have said but much applause because it still has this great look in it so might as well expect more in its final product.

Reps for the update.

Gwy

Gwy

Level 4
Imo WOW-Rips for wc3 are officially approved from Blizz and Hive.
There was a long discussion 2 years ago.
I know it only because the map "world of ancients" was first rejected beacuase of rips and then approved

Level 31
Thanks, guys, I appreciate it very much. :)

Yes, I edit models and skins for existing WoW rips or regular models from Hive, I also rip models from WoW myself. And yeah, there are models from Dota, but I don't understand how can it be harmful to anyone.

And I edit models, many of them, but I do not deem them as my own, I won't even provide some kind of credit for myself, I do not require it, it is pointless and meaningless. Map itself will be also unprotected and free for anyone to explore or use material from it. I try to be a part of this community without chaining anyone with some kind of illusiuon of rights.

Of course credits will be given for every import with site directed except for few metrials that has its author missing. Do not accept it offensive in any way, I just express my opinion without any other intention. I simply find this credit / game rip issue silly in this kind of its usage.

Concerning the project, I lack time for it greatly. I am having a ton of free time during this weekend, but I forgot to bring my PC from Uni to home, silly me. I hope to get on it soon, yet other activities prevent me from doing so. I was expecting to finish it this year, but sadly with this kind of progress it is impossible to do so.

Level 16
I have been watching this for a little while, and every time, i get more surprised than ever, just speaking of the "breathtaking" terrain, i just can't imagine how much work or the technique the terrain takes, i really can't imagine how all this got together, my breath is taken now xD

Level 31
Thank you very much, guys. It means a lot to me. :)

I do have models from Dota 2, like a few. But to my mind this is really silly to call it illegal, because I do not require money for my work, I do not deem my work as some kind of product made for market, it is just for fun and all free. I may keep these few models and replace them only if staff theatened to reject the map, I'll take the risk, because these models fits really well and it does no harm to anyone after all.

So the terrain expands. This is a path which will lead to 3 other areas. These two archs may lead to these areas as well as the end of this path. Planning to add there really nice two optional quests. By the way, this terrain design area is before the very last one, so everything is coming to an end, I may complete this map within a month or two I hope. Terrain may change as it is not really the final view.

3y94.png

Level 31
They will since it will be so unfair for other maps that got rejected because of imported materials from other games if this get approved.
Yeah, you are right. But I am still taking the risk and changing it if most necessary. Moderators usually don't play at least one third of a map due to time consumption, so I might get away with it if no one complained what a big criminal I am for using a model for NPC who just stand and talk, model that is a forbidden fruit for so *obvious* reasons.

I probably sound like a really bad and stupid person now, but there is just no way I support or understand why it is illegal. This project is nothing official, I don't sell it, it is all for fun and I don't really harm Dota 2 authors in any possible way (by using their material without a permission? Okay, where is the harm now?), more like I show my gratitude and interest in their hard work because I find it worth attention.

Level 28
for using a model for NPC who just stand and talk, model that is a forbidden fruit for so *obvious* reasons.

If you can take the effort to find or rip model with probably a ridiculous file size then why not take the effort to search for a HQ model made by someone specifically for Warcraft 3 but with lower filesize but still fits what you're looking for?

I want to argue more about this topic but I'm already seeing it being pointless if you already really made up your mind. I'll just say good luck and I'll just wait here till its done and play it.

Level 31
If you can take the effort to find or rip model with probably a ridiculous file size then why not take the effort to search for a HQ model made by someone specifically for Warcraft 3 but with lower filesize but still fits what you're looking for?
Some of these illegal models fits the context perfectly, their look represent the atmosphere, personality and basically what they are really well. Certain model look may even change the course of a gameplay, even if one just stand, or is just an enemy attack unit. I could find something else of course, but then it would not be the best option. :)
I want to argue more about this topic but I'm already seeing it being pointless if you already really made up your mind. I'll just say good luck and I'll just wait here till its done and play it.
Why? I want to hear your arguments, I'm open for a discussion and a change only if I am presented with good contra arguments.

Level 30
That is one cool early wip of a terrain. But to suggest, you might want to fill the empty sides with something maybe with a statue or anything that you find great and also you can add some doodads/destructibles at the air seeing from your previous screenshots.

I am getting excited on each screenshot you are posting so good luck, we will see what will turn out of this. This project is really underrated if I can also say, this needs much more attention.

Level 17
Let's say, following the release of your Iceborn I'd download it and make a thread called "Frostborn" where I would mod your map but put in a bunch of new locations and change the quests/features and what not.
Because hey man, what harm do I do to you by using your work without your permission ? I mean, I'm just honoring your hard work if anything.

Would you like that ? :p

Either way, I don't mind your use of the assets as they are clearly implemented in a meaningful way and are beneficial to the overall quality of your mod.
Just keep in mind (no matter how slim the odds are) that you could bring THW some legal ramifications, because shall there be any ownership claims they would be directed towards them rather than you.
Similarly to how Youtube is legally responsible for any copyrighted content on their site shall they fail to take it down following any ownership claims.
So they are fully entitled to reject your mod shall they deem fit.

Level 31
Thanks, Hell_Master, I added some doodads beneath the ground level so it is more filled up.

Would you like that ? :p
I would let that happen and I am sure about that. There must be one thing pointed out though. User who do this should not deem it all as his own work. If one picks my map and says: *I made all of this*, this wouldn't be really fair, but I wouldn't care about it much anyway, because I'd know the truth, I'm giving this open for all and this is in the internet after all. In my situation, I don't call these models mine, I just have them in a map to play certain role because it fits really well, dealing no potent harm.

But I see your point. It is rather sad that some people are primitive enough to complain if anything, that is considered to be theirs, is used somewhere else, what are they trying to achieve? They just cut on its popularity. You probably know that nothing in this world is original, everything is just a modified version of an older version, and by saying everything I mean EVERYTHING. Even Dota has nothing really their own.

Why listening to a song which was downloaded without paying for it and listening to the same song on the radio is so different even if the result is the same, I still hear it. Same with models, these models are being seen in a different game, but result is the same, I still see them. Youtube would not take down all materials that are considered to be illegal, they just can't keep up with all videos, someone has to complain firstly.

All this issue lacks some rational thought in it.

Yet threat to Hive is clear no matter how silly it sounds, because Dota is a free game, right? Probably I'll have to replace these anyway..

Level 28
It is rather sad that some people are primitive enough to complain if anything, that is considered to be theirs, is used somewhere else

This is just sad that you called this people 'primitive' because I know someone here who makes tremendous models solely for his project and one day he just learned that someone took the liberty to rip his models and use it without his concern and the guy was just so sad because he spend bloody hours making those models from scratch and the dude who rip it from his map only took a few minutes to get them without even asking him. I can really understand why the guy got depressed about that since its his hard work and he just didn't expect that his models will be ripped. You can talk freely about people messing around your work because you know to yourself from the start that you'll leave it open source some people doesn't.

So here is my suggestion, why not contact whoever made the models you used from Dota 2 and try to ask for permission? If that is too much of a hassle then just keep this matter a secrecy, I'm not really a RiP hater.

You probably know that nothing in this world is original, everything is just a modified version of an older version, and by saying everything I mean EVERYTHING.

Probably true, but the hours they spend making it is real.

The reason why I'm convincing you to change it is not because its a RIP(heck I'm a moderator on a Ripping site before) its just because Hive doesn't accept maps with RIPS from other game except Blizzard's games.

Level 31
But why the guy was so sad? I still don't really understand. So he worked hard and he wanted to protect it from anyone *Hahaha, this belongs to me and only me, no one can take it, only my map will have it* Why he wanted to protect? He belong to a modding community after all. And asking for permission is usually a positive answer, if one may agree to share, what is the point to really ask. I see people saying *do not do anything without my permission* And when I ask, they always let, so what's the point? And protecting it from anyone is a dim-witted thing to do.

As I said earlier, the most important thing is not to deem someone's else work as their own, which is a lie, but using it in a map, where is a crime here? If I were him, I'd be happy someone found my work interesting enough to be used in their work.

I do not wish to pose any negativity, this is just a discussion and I am glad people involve. :) I see your point, yet this is the problem of author himself, one upload his work into an internet and already doom it to be stolen, edited, etc, because any resource can be deprotected and used towards any purpose.

I'd love to contact the authors of these models, but I have no clue how to. I tried searching for authors, but I just can't find any. :( Or should I contact entire staff?

Level 30
But why the guy was so sad? I still don't really understand. So he worked hard and he wanted to protect it from anyone *Hahaha, this belongs to me and only me, no one can take it, only my map will have it* Why he wanted to protect? He belong to a modding community after all. And asking for permission is usually a positive answer, if one may agree to share, what is the point to really ask. I see people saying *do not do anything without my permission* And when I ask, they always let, so what's the point? And protecting it from anyone is a dim-witted thing to do.

As I said earlier, the most important thing is not to deem someone's else work as their own, which is a lie, but using it in a map, where is a crime here? If I were him, I'd be happy someone found my work interesting enough to be used in their work.

I do not wish to pose any negativity, this is just a discussion and I am glad people involve. :) I see your point, yet this is the problem of author himself, one upload his work into an internet and already doom it to be stolen, edited, etc, because any resource can be deprotected and used towards any purpose.

I'd love to contact the authors of these models, but I have no clue how to. I tried searching for authors, but I just can't find any. :( Or should I contact entire staff?

I think yes, you could just contact the staff through Staff Contact and talk about this problem. Maybe this could be the solution. (I hope AP is referring to the staff of Hive to be sure of my comment)

Level 28
I know you didn't meant this but your statements kinda makes artists who doesn't want to see their models in other games/maps other than for the games/maps that they intended it to be used looks like the bad guy or something. xD (I seriously hope you didn't meant to sound like that
0JfDaNQ.gif
)

Just respect their decision if they don't want it to be used by others since you can already see them in the game they're exclusively made. Its not a written rule but more like a common sense.

Contacting the entire staff or just sending an email to Valve is your best bet.

because any resource can be deprotected and used towards any purpose.

There is no such thing as protected on Warcraft modding thus there is no such this as deprotected resources
gohPUVG.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.