• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Once upon an RPG - Demo (new map release)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Greetings,

My name is The Hegemuffin and I am a newcomer to these forums. However, I would like to publicize, if I may, my newest map project, "Once upon an RPG."

This single player campaign, as it will eventually become, is currently in the format of a demo map, namely the first chapter of said campaign. However, the map is highly polished, if not finished, and I believe it lends itself to enjoyable play, even at this stage of development.

The main idea behind releasing the demo is to give players an idea of what they should expect when I come out with the full map. Once upon an RPG is by far the most unique map idea I have ever had, and it is something that I believe has never been done before in Warcraft. Yes, it is an RPG, but only in terms of the storyline and plot. Intrinsically, it is a puzzle map, and thus it is highly centered around "figuring" things out as opposed to "fighting" things out. Thus, while there are quests to receive and missions to complete, as with any single player campaign, the focus is on realizing "how" to do them instead of just microing your way to victory.

Obviously, it utilizes the Warcraft III engine, which is primarily a fighter's tool. Still, most of the puzzles and specifically the fights are engineered so that you'll never have to "solve" anything by defeating a boss in combat. You may have to kill a boss, but it will always be very obvious when you can or cannot defeat something; the trick is finding out what you have to do first in order to make that defeat possible.

I apologize for being vague, but as it's a puzzle map, I don't want to give away that much at this point. All I urge you to do is play it through and give it a shot. I only gave such a detailed explanation because I foresaw players getting frustrated, and so I'll make this disclaimer right now. You will get frustrated unless you are an intuitive genius at puzzle games. Yet my hope is that however difficult the puzzles are (and they are intended to be difficult - some clues are left purposefully vague), they will be just as rewarding when you finally solve them.

Most importantly, I am always at your service.

You may download the map here.

Oh, and one last thing: The map obviously has a strong basis in literary reference, which was the primary inspiration for this project. It is also the other factor that makes this map so unique, and I hope that you can appreciate the references as was intended.

The Hegemuffin

P.S. Please, no spoilers! This is a single player map, and most of you will only play it once. The very game design does not lend itself to replayability. Thus, I urge all of you, don't post any spoilers in our outside of this thread unless you mark them with spoiler tags and change the color appropriately. If you're really stuck on one part, you can also PM me so as not to risk inadvertantly giving away something or even presenting the temptation of looking at spoilers to people who haven't yet completed the map. I will be open to all questions. Thank you.

edit 1: 11:05 EST - I will be posting regular edits each time I update the map. Whenever you have something to comment or a critique to make, please be sure to check the timestamp of the latest release to ensure that your post is relevant. I know, it can be tedious to download the map again and check to see if the issue has been resolved, but I will try to post changelogs as well so as to eliminate this kind of annoyance. More importantly, though, it saves everyone the confusion of having to synchronize with map versions and such.

Status
Not open for further replies.