• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

What do you look for in an RPG GAME

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Hello and thank you for the time to read this message. I am creating a multiplayer rpg map and i would like to know what rpg players like urself would like to get out of an rpg. This is to make sure that this map is interesting to all who play it. I'll appreaciate all of the help no matter how little.

Thank You!!!

P.S This is an ORPG map.
-dunex

Level 5
Make lots of different heroes, spells and abilities, items, monsters, and other cool stuff. Have the highest max level possible (usually 10000), and make good looking terrain. Also do just about everything you can to make it so things are different every time you play. Also if possible, make a save/load trigger.

Level 8
1) make custom heroes and custom spells for them,
making a custom spell doesnt mean to change the name for devotion aura to defense aura or anything like that.
also have atleast 5 spells for each hero and a unique fighting style with him like an extra unit ability frenzy or some kind of self buff.
2) make custom items with custom bonuses for them.

3) make quests and special items as a reward for doing them.

4) make/impliment a save/load system

5) add something unique to it so it isnt similiar to other RPGs

6) add a 3rd person camera (optional)

Level 5
1. Don't forget about balanced heroes. In an RPG, its not fun when one or two overpowered characters dominate the game while the rest of the party is useless. This problem can get worse if the overpowered characters get all the kills and thus are a much higher level than the rest of the party.
2. Do not allow tomes to be purchased at shops. This mistake can cause a balance problem called "Tome Craft" in which the game degenerates into who can collect the most tomes (mostly agility).

Level 7
just my opinion, but i don't think you should do an ORPG... stick to a more fulfilling regular RPG... but again just imo

1) Don't use a save/load system -- all it leads to is a 'relatively solo leveling up and item-finding' based game in which everyone is of different levels running around on their own... wait a sec, that's an ORPG, my bad

I guess randomize as much as possible as an ORPG thats about all i can say

Level 3
all this

ive played many rpg's all of them have something good and stuf fi ahte this is what i like...
-mounts diff heroes get diff stuf like orc get kodo's and wi8zard get horses and other orc will get wolf and stuff its awlays fun
-nation or hero?-you can either be a nation and build buildings and stuff...-heroes go around and kill stuff
-clans-im still looking for this-you can make a clan with your friends in the game you buy a house and the house is your clans there is stuff to do like arenas and bonuses if ur in clan that game
-sfx-why u geta weapon it really shows
-custom models-everyone loves dofferent models
-max level-10000
-ill hellp you if u want

Level 6
I have planed a whole bunch of RPGs till now and i think the amount will continue to increase within the coming days, weeks and month.
Therefore i have already got a few nice Ideas for a RPG.

Define RPG

RPG = RolePlayingGame and NOT Hack'n'Slay ( alá Diablo II or such )

get a Storyline

If you want to create a RPG you should get some general story-line ( something like evil vs good in a MidWinter Country most likly leads do HnS instead of RPG, so please think a bit about his important step )

Heroes
Please DO NOT create heroes that have no weaknesses and are only balanced within the amount and speed of damage-dealing. Make them Characters instead of slaying/leveling-machines. Let each of them say a few specific/characteristic senteces during the game, let everyone of 'em have an archiles verse ( something like a firemake hating to cross water and if he does he looses a level for the next 2 minutes, think about it yourself )

Creeps
On the most socalled RPG-Maps i've played the creeps are good for 2 things.
1. Xp
2. money
That is the idea of HnS NOT of RPG. Please mention that every Human, every Elf and, if you want to be truly exact: even every rabit and horse, has it's own character, it's likings dislikings and such.
Please don't decrade townfolk to a something instead of a someones.

Levels & Spells

You have to decide between 2 generally different ways here.
1st - get spells through levels
2nd - get spells throug learning ( from tutors in town 4 xampel )

Hunger, Thirst and Sleep

If you want to make your RPG something truly uniq, and something showing an imaginary reality you should, at least in my opinion, add this feature to your RPG

Limits

Choose your limits wisely.
if you are, for exampel, deciding that your heros are getting stronger not through fighting os such but throug learning from their xp, you may decide to have a max hero level of two but you need 2,000k xp to get there and in the context of this idea, you may spend xp to get spells, hp and such.

Realistics in VR
e.g.
A gathering of 2 houses and a shop may be a village, one is an eremit and 10 or more are a town.
An eremit may be visited by villagers and might even be the target for several pilgrims ( hope thats the right word ^^ not shure about it, sry ).
a town is an attraction to those from country. and a weekly marcet attracks people from very far.
This shall only show you, that you have to think about reality in the proper timeperiod and that you might add an awful lot af reality to your map if you trigger these events carefully and make the normaly deadlike townfolk walk around with their own desires.

Custom Files

In my opinion you don't need ANY Custom files. But the may add a flair to your map wich is missing otherwise.
I myself are first creating the whole "engine" and the basical terrain and such before going to what i call "Cosmetics". That way you'll see much easier what you _realy_ need and what is only a waste of space and time.

------

I hope this short summary of items i am going throug if i plan to create a RPG is showing you enough of the things you wanted to now.
If you sucseed with only a few of these ideas, your RPG will be one of the best ever!

good luck, i'll be watching u *fg*

Level 1
I thank you and am sry for taking this long to repond. Ok your tips are very helpful and i got a genral idea of wut u want.
Now i would like to know if u could tell me which kind of heros and abilities u would like to see. For example do u wanna see a vampire who becomes into A Bat and such and such. Thnx again for your time.

-dunex

Level 2
what i look for is a great rpg wer u pick your hero and i like ones with saving char.

two of my favorite rpgs r ff open rpg and cot's rpg.

In ff open rpg the only thing i dont like or so i think the only thing is that boats cost 8000g.

i think its way too much and i love cot's open rpg
(Curse of Time)
it is good quality, u can pick your hero, u can save your hero, u can get a base/nation.

out of those two i do not know wich 1 to rate the best on the other hand i like cot's...
but i still dont know if that would be my favorite.

a more lower 1 that i kinda like is Sol's.
cot and sol was both made by Waugriff
sol is actually a stupid orcs loser
i dont know why they named it that.
in sols 1 of the only things i dont like is that u cant save your char...

overall i like a goodly made high quality rpg
and most of all i like 1s that u can save your
char although sometimes i enjoy 1s were u cant.
i look for a good rpg because sometimes i play for
hours.
(i wrote a tiny bit long of a post...)

Level 2
In my opinion lots of heroes and abilities are nice, but they're never the thing which make a good rpg.
Good Rpg has a good plot, intresting quests and a living enviroment. By that i mean that if you go to a village the people there are not just standing around without doing anything. And it would be awesome if it would feature the possibility to become a villain or a peacekeeper.

If u could choose your side in the beginning (good or evil) and the two sides would randomly have little wars or such, it would be cool too.

Level 6
ok, it's been a little but right now i have a bit of time again.
I hope you have had a lot of usefull ideas couse of my first posting and right now i have finished the general shape of my own rpg-engine ( just the basic concepts in plain txt no map yet )
I will give you a small hint to the features i want to inklude and to those i would love to see within rpgs made by you:

Spells::
generally i have to say that i want magic to be logical. That means that a warrior cannot throw a fireball but maybe can master his mind in a way that he can guess the enemies attack and therefore evade it much better. But on the other hand i have also to say that i don't like seeing mages with swords and axes running over the map and throw firebalsl withoutr even paying one(1) mana for them ( stantdart attack ).
Therfore i have developed my own äh.. "system" might be the right expression:
Every human(/elf/orc/..) can hit his enemies with his bare hands. Therefore, if you get a weapon, it'll be neccessary to add a wepon model to the hands of that hero/unit. But within this idea it'll be also neccessary to limit the amounts of items of a class a unit can wear to a logical limit. ( 2 one-hand-wepons, 1 two-hand, 1 one-hand + shield, armor, boots, etc. ). But i have lost my aim: back to my spell-system.
First i have to say that you do not choose your hero with one singel action, it's more like a creation-system. First you choose your "body" and give it a name ( should be farely easy this far ) than you choose ( with a dialog pr such ) your class ( maybe first class choosing then body would be usefull, because an archmage as warrior would be truly funny ^^ ). Right after you have choosen class and body you set your attributes ( the min. and max. for each statt and the total of all stat-points will be fixed, the rest might be choosen as wished by the player. ) After you finished that step you choose your profession ( eg. smith/tailor/.. or swordman/paladin/.. or necromancer/elemetarist/.. )
After this step the amount of possible spells should be cut already ( limited through gender, class, profession and stats ). Now there should be one ( or more if neccessary ) dialogues through wich the palyer can choose his/her starting spells/abilities. ( maybe some spell-combining already? )

I hope that this way of creating a char will help you to think about it a little. I would also love, if you have to start as a "normal" person ( just finished academie or such ) and may become stronger or even another race ( vampire for example ) through the game.
Therefore you should think about one(1!) ability ( not spell! ) wich is kinda typical for each race ( night-vision for elves, blood-sucking for vampries, etc. ).

oh and before i forget that:
please don't look at mana like a mystical energy reservoir ( or a battery ^^ ) but mor like some way to tell how much concentration a unit has, or how good it can concentrate at all. ( this will be the only way to allow knights to have mana. otherwise only the "givted-ones" or the ones with "the talent" will/would be able to access this energy.

I do not give you an exact list of spells/abilities ( please don't mix those two! ), but i hope that i have given you an idea how to think about spells/abilities and on what they should base on ( classify magic into "schools" or such will help much! ( even at choosing wich spells to take ^^ ) ).
I will only give you one more, very important tip:
- do not allow, or at least strictly LIMIT PERMANENT CREEP OWNAGE ( like controle or summons ).
- only allow it, if the player has to pay a high price for this ( like permanently loosing hp, mana and/or stat-points )

overall i hope that i have helpoed you much and if you want to add me in icq i will gladly add you as well and continue talking there ^^

Level 7
Lord Raszul said:
ok, it's been a little but right now i have a bit of time again......overall i hope that i have helpoed you much and if you want to add me in icq i will gladly add you as well and continue talking there ^^

you'll like my rpg if i ever finish it :p has a bunch of stuff u just listed, start as a traveller, mana is 'energy/stamina', bare handed till u pickup weapons and it attaches the model, only carrying so much equipment (+weight limits that slow u down), attribute system w/6 attributes, and u choose ur class later which limits ur skills but skills are still based on ur attributes

Level 6
Sounds pretty nice.
Do you also have some kind of "needs-ssystem"? ( like hunger, thirst, sleep ^^ ).
If you even add that than it sounds like perfect.
Just tell me your process, i'll gladly help if oyu want me to and i will of course look very closely to ever bit of process you'll show us.

Level 7
Lord Raszul said:
Sounds pretty nice.
Do you also have some kind of "needs-ssystem"? ( like hunger, thirst, sleep ^^ ).
If you even add that than it sounds like perfect.
Just tell me your process, i'll gladly help if oyu want me to and i will of course look very closely to ever bit of process you'll show us.

theres no required sleeping or thirsting or eating (other than to restore hp), that would just get tedious especially if you were out nowhere and forgot about it earlier in a town... though there are a plethora of crafting/collecting items

i don't really know what you mean by "just tell me your process", but thanks for the help offer, but unless you either A) are good at programming or B) like to write out many many many many strings for the form
XX-T1-T1-T2-T2-T1-XX-XX-R1-R2-R2
XX-XX-T1-T1-T1-XX-XX-R1-R2-R2-lg
XX-lg-fl-XX-XX-XX-XX-XX-R1-R1-R1
r1-r1-r1-r1-r1-r0-XX-XX-XX-XX-XX
etc...
i don't really need help... but i can enlist testing in the future

Level 1
Hmm i thank all of you for the ideas. Lord ur suggestion has crossed my mind and i like that idea so i might use it. Sleep and food/drink will not be a nececity but will have a nice effect if u use them. Btw heros in my rpg will have more then 5 spells. Each type of race/class will have some begining bonuses. I also added an optional pvp system where you can duel only if u accept the challange. But so far im having difficulty making the classes. Because i want this a good rpg i would like to know if u would prefer it a more epic type like WoW or a like a more simple killing everything on sight like D2XP. Btw the first version will be released in 2-3months sry it will take htta long, but im kinda busy during this time. As for the save code system i would u if u can provide me a good one because the current ones are lacking the finess i am looking for (like 300000k characracters long).

Thnx Again and i hope to receive more output.

-dunex

Status
Not open for further replies.