• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

What to see in an RPG?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Im sure people have asked this question before, but I couldnt find any. I have all the skills needed to make an awesome RPG, but I dont know what I should use them for. Any ideas on what I should put into an RPG? Not an on going rpg, with a save system and everything, just a 1 time play rpg, but I want to make it so good that people will want to play it over and over again. So what do YOU think I should add to accomplish this?

well then, its like an Adventure game

I recommend, you can make one map, then after that, make sequel maps, so people can actually go through Act1, then 2, 3, 4 etc.

For an IDea,

its gotta have a storyline

so for the "First act" add a cinematic in the begining, stating the setting, plot, characters, backgrounds, etc.

im sure you can think of something on that line. perhaps get some friends to help out.

Of course, adventure games must have bosses, minibosses, and items.

I always like games with like a path, with puzzles, many creeps to level off of, but if you don't train enough, the boss will be impossible.

perhaps you can have checkpoints, so that when the hero dies, it will respawn at one.

those are just my ideals.

gl with your map.

Level 7
Thats exactly what I had in mind. Sequels, each game would have a different goal. But I cant even begin to start on sequels until I know what people think of the first. I was thinking the first game would be kind of like a start to a great journey, so the first game would be mostly villages and quests in your home land, going around the region. Then as you get more powerful "something" happens and then game 2 begins. I dont want to give much away, it would be a lot more fun than im making it sound. But I still need Ideas and comments please. P.S. this is not a dungeon rpg.

Level 7
Do you mean have a battle master as the main hero? Im not saying its a bad idea, but can I ask why? If I do make sequels, you become more an more powerful as the games progress and even in the second game you be pretty powerful. Would you want to start out as a sensei just to be powerful or for another reason?

Level 7
I also wanted it to be multiplayer. It will have custom weapons/armor. I doni think a sensei would rly fit into the story line, any other ideas?

Hm, thats another good question... Would people rather have a mutliplayer game, or a single player game that is rly good? If I make this game single player, then my sequals would be multiplayer because they will have a totaly different setting.

Level 11
make the game where u view it from behind the hero. so it is similar to first person. you could also make it where it is not a definite storyline. it is does just go from a -> b -> c make it so make different things could happen depending on what path you choose. for example, if your hero decides to help a man find his cat (cheesey, but i needed a quick thought), then you will eventually go into a dungeon. if your hero decides not to help the cat, after he leaves, he is walking down a road, a cinematic appears, and he is ambushed by bandits. =O this will allow a replay factor into your rpg

Level 7
Good idea, I will deffinetly do that. I will also make two camera views in the game, one, like you said first person/ ots (over the shoulder) view, and the normal view.

Should I make it 1 player or 2 player? If I make it 2 player then it wont be as good, but you wont get lonely and you can have a friend to play the game with. But if its one palyer the game will be MUCH more fun and detailed, but it may get boring after a while because your the only one playing it.

Level 11
also, see if u can make an arena map. make it multiplayer use and it can be for people to compare heroes, fight, ect. it can be a final extension to your game. similar to this one dungeon in Legend of Zelda: The Twilight Princess. as you complete levels, you can go to the arena to re-challenge your opponents for fun (it was in the desert, it was called like Dungeon of Trials or something). you do something like that but have it so players could also battle it out.

Then again, that would require a save option, so maybe it would just be a thing where you re-challenge old bosses for fun.

Level 11
what i mean by arena is a small sized map where, at the end of the game, you can fight the bosses that you fight earlier on in the campaign for fun. they can be stronger, and not necessarily give u items or anything, just for fun

Level 7
Hmm, ill consider it, but I cant focus on that stuff until I have a porper setting and story, so I need some ideas on that plz.
The 3 things I need most:
1. Should it be an rpg or a strategy game where you have to conquer the land with your army.
2. If it is an rpg, should it be mutlipalyer?
3. If it is an RPG, should you instantly start out with power or have to work your way up?

Level 7
Heres what I had in mind. You start off as someone and the country u live in is at war with another and the war has effected you badly. So you go around gathering the strongest people in the land and you attempt to fight back against both countries. Its fantasy, not modern time.

Level 2
Im not smart at making map, infact i never made one

Ideas:
different kind of stats, like in TKoK.

[Hero Info Area]
STR -> [?] (Requirement to Pull/Push/Break Lever/Box/Etc. How to get? each [#?] STR gives 1{Custom})
AGI -> Movement Speed (Gain +[?] MS for each [#?] Agi[Custom{JASS? on other window like TKoK}]
INT -> [?] (Requirement to read rune/glyph/or something| How to get? each [#?] INT gives 1{Custom})

[Custom Stats Area]
STR - (+1 damage for melee on each point in STR & Each 10(melee) or 5(range) point on STR gives +20/10 damage)
AGI - (+1 flee, +? attack speed & Each [#?] AGI gives +? MS)
CON - (+1% hp & every 10 point on CON gives +?HPRegen)
INT - (Magic Damage depends on this stat,
DEX - (+1 damage for range on each point in DEX, -1% cooldown on Spell & Each 5(melee) or 10(range) point on DEX gives +10/20 damage)
[?Statname] (+1.5% to do critical for each point {Both Spells[Stun] And Physical[2 times damage]} & each 10 [?Statname] gives 1% chance to completely evade a(1 time) damage {Spell or Physical}.

How Flee Works:
Flee[A] - DEX = %Miss
Evade:
Each [?Statname] gives permanent 1%, unreducable chance to evade a damage
Magic:
Magic Arrow - Deals 70 damage + 1x INT

[Camera Angle]
Ever played Legacies:Tide of The Serpent?

ill edit if anything comes to mind.

Edit 2:
Inventory system screenshot from Darkwind RPG looks Cool.

Last edited:
Level 7
A lil bump for you...

In a RPG I like a good story with quests, Otherwise it isnt really a role-playing game...
I love when RPG's have attachments such as swords, armor, helmets, etc...

My opinion is mine just saying =]

Status
Not open for further replies.