• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Role Playing Game] Iceborn

Which of the following options would be the most enjoyable for you?

• Long gameplay.

Votes: 38 22.4%
  • Complex ability interaction with each other.

Votes: 15 8.8%
  • Abundance of ability special effects.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Astonishing feel and atmosphere, also a great storyline to follow.

Votes: 81 47.6%
  • More events where mind is put to the test and less of hack'n'slash.

Votes: 25 14.7%
  • Something else. (I would be thankful to be informed about it)

Votes: 4 2.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 31
Thanks. :)

Wooo, 100th post.

New terrain update. This time I tried something really fresh in my opinion. This type of terrain is not done yet, only half, more updates will come within days I hope. Blue balls are slowly spinning and the lightning beams are sparkling during game, cannot be seen through screenshot.

I am having troubles with Doodads limit, I hope I'll manage to finish map with 3000 doodads & destructibles considering 40% of map is left to be developed, gonna be challenging.

Yes, majority of WoW models, I just could not find any better ones to represent this environment anywhere else. Plus good texture compensate the lack of doodads.

ma0y.png

j92.bmp

ue1.png

ixzq.png

Level 31

No, I don't use JNGP, I use original one, but if I would find it impossible to finish map due to limits, I may turn to it. As for Seth's Reign, I completely fit into the limit and map there was much bigger and more spacy than this one.

I also made a statistics system that records damage dealt, taken, healed, largest hit, items taken, number of spells casted, time elapsed from start etc. It is just for fun to check these stats by typing an exact match chat key word. :)

Could i translate your post and post on my blog?(Attached Original Link)
What do you mean?

Level 28
I also made a statistics system that records damage dealt, taken, healed, largest hit, items taken, number of spells casted, time elapsed from start etc. It is just for fun to check these stats by typing an exact match chat key word. :)

And accompany that with achievements if you reach this and that then that will be really cool.

Level 2
What do you mean?
okay,my bad.
I mean i want to translate this thread to chinese and post on my blog for otherchinese to see this Great Map and AWESOME Terrains!!
so that is why i was asking you could i get your permission to translate.

Level 6
From the video it looks very nice, I'll be waiting for it's release, you are truly one of the best rpg map makers here at the hive.
EDIT: I checked the screenshots, that terrain is really wicked, I envy your terraining skills, just wonderful!

Level 31
okay,my bad.
I mean i want to translate this thread to chinese and post on my blog for otherchinese to see this Great Map and AWESOME Terrains!!
so that is why i was asking you could i get your permission to translate.
I see. Of course you can, I would be even thankful for spreading word about it. :)
From the video it looks very nice, I'll be waiting for it's release, you are truly one of the best rpg map makers here at the hive.
EDIT: I checked the screenshots, that terrain is really wicked, I envy your terraining skills, just wonderful!
Thank you very much, I appreciate it. :)

Level 31
Thanks, sonofjay. :) It is this model, except I removed the fire, in other pictures I changed fire's color to blue.

Thank you, pre1980, I'm glad you liked it. :) Nice, thanks for adding. There will be no beta, only full version. This map is not long in gameplay so I progress rather fast, it won't take much. :) Hopefully I will release it this autumn.

Level 31
Another terrain update.
b4wz.png

bwwh.png

EDIT: Another video is up, this time it displays gameplay concerning a quest. This is not full quest video, only highlights and the riddle that is required to be solved for quest is not shown here. Hope you guys will enjoy this.

Level 30
Seen the video and also your terrain screenshot updates. and Damn! Your update are always worthwhile to look at. The video is looking good and as far as I can see from the main hero, he/she has cool spellset. :D

The terrain as always look damn awesome as ever. Its too perfect. The Music does fit into the game also (well, if that is the music of your map though I hear)

Level 31
Thanks, Hell_Master, for your kind words. :)

EDIT #1: I am improving myself slightly at model editing so I try to edit certain models to fit project's theme. There is one of edited models. What is more, hero may have really cool attachments making it look so overpowered. Also new terrain update coming soon I hope.
May change
qvde.png
EDIT #2: A terrain update. I struggle hard to come up with something new due to lack of models, that is why it took a while. I also turn to model editing just to get better doodads variations. This is a boss fight area, also there will be a cinematic when the main bad guy meets hero and summons the boss.
q7ky.png

mqs5.png

Level 31
what did you use to make a walkable path in the air?
As Hera said, it is an invisible tile. Just to add, it have been taken from Chaosrealm if I recall correctly.
So is the summoned boss that badass lightning guy in your first edit? err.. and that column, isn't that a 3+ mb and a really hq model? Does the game still run smooth will all that placed in one area? >,>
No, boss will be different, the lightning guy may be met in cinematics and ending as a companion of the main evil guy. That column's model is just 121 KB, and two textures, one is 170 KB and other one 46 KB so not really big. I do have some models at 3.5 MB size without taking textures into consideration, but these are Vaanel's models with a ton of animations. Even if that column was 3 MB, I would still use it as I do not care about map's size at all. (Current size 125.7 MB) It runs very smooth and nice.

Oh, I also changed the lightning guy a bit. Cleaned hand from unnecessary model parts, thunderfury now has 3 blades instead of 2 and back attachments now are 4 frozen blades instead of broken thunderfuries.

Level 31
Holy Crap, that cinematic was awesome!
woooooooooooooow from that video i gonna say: THIS IS COOOL!!!.... best wishes to finish it..
Thank you. :)
Are you doing the voice acting for this map alone?
Currently alone, but I manage to make few different voices, perhaps not so good ones if I try to force my throat too much, but some editing tools makes it slightly better. I may add NightElf125 to voice acting, because he did a really good job at Seth's Reign, he also agreed to help once I would ask him. I would involve much more people into this, but there is one problem that stops me from doing so. It really stops me progressing at making map when I give the text and I have to wait at least few weeks to get the recordings, I like to end what I start doing before starting something else. And during Serh's Reign development it was a burden to some point, some people wait really long just to read text in front of a mic, some people do not have access to mic and some just avoid doing it at all and ignore my posts when I ask about it, of course there were people who do it properly. I also avoid adding female characters to a game, because finding a female voice actor is almost impossible, I had to count on my sister last time and still I almost forced her to help, hehe.

Level 19
I'm up for helping with some voice acting once my computer is fixed. I'm not pro, but would categorize myself as having quite some experience.. but then again, this project is most likely finished when that happens, but you can hear me out once things work again, if you still need people at that time :)

Level 9
Looks pretty damn awesome!

Just so you know, you can infact change the walking animation's speed with the editor.

Go to object editor, find your unit and on the right there are fields such as:

Art - Animation - Run Speed
Art - Animation - Walk Speed

The bigger the values are, the slower the animation will go and vice versa, just mess around with the values a bit until it looks better. Just to clarify, this only changes the speed of the animation, not the movement speed itself.

Hope that helps, and good luck. :3

Level 16
I wouldn't have put the SFX option on the list, it's something you should try to do by default :p

To be honest I'd vote for all of them. But if I really had to choose then I'd go with either 2) (as I did) or 4). It doesn't matter how good the storyline, how long the map is and how many puzzles there are if gameplay-wise it's just using 2 spells every 30 seconds and basic attacking inbetween. Or at least for me, that is, since if I want to read a good story then I could as well go with a book without having to bore myself to death to progress. (I hope it's clear that I'm not saying with this that Iceborn is gonna be one of those, I'm just trying to explain how I think and how I look at things).

The screenshots and videos are great, btw, really great job with the terrain and the puzzles. It still amuses me though how sophisticated people are in the cinematics, even the villains :'D

Level 31
Wow. It's been a while since I last visited the hive and you already have another ongoing epic project. :D makes me wanna make some sig/logo for this project. ;)
Good to see you. :) There is no need to do so, but you can give it a shot only if you are willing to, because your work always pleases me. :)
I wouldn't have put the SFX option on the list, it's something you should try to do by default :p
I guess, but currently there are not so many shiny SFX, screen doesn't get flooded with unneccessary SFX as most spells in spell section, I do not hold it as priority, but people seem to like it, hehe.
To be honest I'd vote for all of them. But if I really had to choose then I'd go with either 2) (as I did) or 4). It doesn't matter how good the storyline, how long the map is and how many puzzles there are if gameplay-wise it's just using 2 spells every 30 seconds and basic attacking inbetween. Or at least for me, that is, since if I want to read a good story then I could as well go with a book without having to bore myself to death to progress.
I see, thank you for your thoughts. I'll try to bring up more cinematics into the game as it would give a tight grip on storyline. As for spells, I'll try to make it more interactive and useable, because currently I feel that something is always missing. :O
The screenshots and videos are great, btw, really great job with the terrain and the puzzles. It still amuses me though how sophisticated people are in the cinematics, even the villains :'D

Level 16
I guess, but currently there are not so many shiny SFX, screen doesn't get flooded with unneccessary SFX as most spells in spell section, I do not hold it as priority, but people seem to like it, hehe.

I think it's disgusting when a spell uses like 5843759438753 effects, so yea :'D Cool things can be done with a minimalistic effect count too, by using those and the unit's animations properly.

The poll says "more SFX", so yea, I take it back that it should be default.

Status
Not open for further replies.