• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Role Playing Game] Iceborn

Which of the following options would be the most enjoyable for you?

• Long gameplay.

Votes: 38 22.4%
  • Complex ability interaction with each other.

Votes: 15 8.8%
  • Abundance of ability special effects.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Astonishing feel and atmosphere, also a great storyline to follow.

Votes: 81 47.6%
  • More events where mind is put to the test and less of hack'n'slash.

Votes: 25 14.7%
  • Something else. (I would be thankful to be informed about it)

Votes: 4 2.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 31
197699-albums4412-picture73605.png

Art by AL0NE

MAP HAS BEEN RELEASED

Iceborn is a fully voice acted and quite difficult single player RPG by APproject. Puzzle elements, unique environment, intense RPG action and a completely custum plot is what Iceborn has to offer at its best. Its storyline is marked with the spice of ego, treachery, love, grief, soreness and blind courage. Take a role of frost spellcaster and dive into the cold and charming world of Frostsky that may demand observation, puzzle solving and combat skills. Simple, but effective, systems are also a fine feature of Iceborn. Different kind of leveling, universality of spells, method of gaining them and a strong link to Hero's attributes may certainly provide a decision based experience.

Map's progress: 100% COMPLETED (Current size: 186.4 MB) (2014-04-15)

Release date: 2014 04 21

Trailer Video

GV5txZz.png

7ov5zQm.png

R1dMifJ.png

lFilmWe.png

MPFJOwg.png

mhIldg5.png

TUA3TUO.png

ROxLKZG.png

PSXZTI8.png

zQQb7hl.png

T8zfCFT.png

Last edited:
Level 31
Awesome terrain, looking forward to seeing another map from you!
Impressive terrain as always!
Good luck with it!
nice nice....terain was AMAZING>>>> GOOd job.....
Looking forward for the release :)
Thanks, I appreciate it. :)
That terrain. It's pretty hard to believe that it's playable, yet it is.
Yes it is, but I am having troubles with it due to transpirant tile, there are no ground at some points and sight goes into distance. Having troubles with doodads popping from no where as well as Far Z, have to increase it constantly. It is also three times harder to deal with what is beneath ground texture than only upper part, for me at least, hehe.

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

Yes it is, but I am having troubles with it due to transpirant tile, there are no ground at some points and sight goes into distance. Having troubles with doodads popping from no where as well as Far Z, have to increase it constantly. It is also three times harder to deal with what is beneath ground texture than only upper part, for me at least, hehe.

Yeah, I've encountered that one as well. I tried a lot of stuff in an attempt to fix it but in the end, I just dropped it as it was too time-consuming to find loopholes in the use. This is why I respect you so much, you are as determined as one could be :)

Level 31
Awesome terrain, like the way u used the doodads. :)
Here goes another well-made and awesome project. Good luck to your project, APproject!
Thank you. :)
Yeah, I've encountered that one as well. I tried a lot of stuff in an attempt to fix it but in the end, I just dropped it as it was too time-consuming to find loopholes in the use. This is why I respect you so much, you are as determined as one could be :)
I appreciate it. What I do is I take a ground tile doodad by Daelin, scale it to 5000 or more and lower it deep beneath texture, it is covered with fog and there are no black spots if Far Z is set to slightly larger one.

Level 31
Looks kickass man, as always.

I just love how you take existing doodads and make completly new structures out of them.

And if you need some models again, just tell me ;)
Thanks, PROXY. Of course, your help might be valuable. I'll let you know if I am in need of a model. :)
You sure do have lots of supporters that is willing to make you some resources for your game and I think it is a matter of trust and now I understand why not to abandon a project easily...
Well, you can interpret it this way too.

EDIT: Terrain update. Sight from far looks rather messy, so I took another picture of ingame look.
view1o.png

24259148.png

Level 28
The hell with that huge filesize? You can reduce WoW model's filesize by 50-60% with a few effort like optimizing all the texture and removing(properly) the unneeded animations. I'm pretty sure you can trim a lot of filesize if you do that.

EDIT:

Is it coincident that you made a icey cold terrain for this project and my latest map have a hot and hellish terrain?

Level 31
Perhaps it would reduce it greatly, especially when these models contain a ton of unnecessary animations indeed, but I have no clue how to do it.

Perhaps, most likely a coincidence. I was planning to do this few months ago, but I was busy with Seth's Reign at that moment.

Level 19
You can also optimize it the textures too by opening Warcraft 3 Viewer, opening the .blp texture and convert it to .tga/.bmp/.jpg, and make sure you set the depth always to 32 bits. Then convert the .tga/.bmp/.jpg file back to a .blp, overwrite it if you want, and, this is the important part, pick the quality of the compression, which should be around 40-85.medium doodads/units where I want to retain the quality. Just experiment with the values, and try to keep a backup of the original .blp file.

For models, use the MDX Squisher. It compresses mdx files, but only when they are imported or placed in your maps mpq/the map itself. You would see no difference in filesize if its not imported in the map itself first.

Level 19
I just sometimes place it in a high(er) quality to be on the safe side. I scare myself sometimes with that texture compression topic.

For animation removal, use this nifty tool from the almighty Oinkerwinkle (I think):
Anim Remover.

You need MDLX also for this, which is what I use. Convert your MDX to MDL by using MDLX and open it with the Anim Remover under the input tab, then pick the animation to be removed. After, open the output tab (...), then type in the new filename. Do not open anything, just type in the new filename, say from "UberModel" to "UberModelNew". Click remove. It won't say anything, and dont expect it to say anything. Convert the new model from .mdl to .mdx using MDLX, then you can view it in Magos! Tried, tested and it worked. Models with custom animations have lower filesizes when removing some anims.

Level 14
Nice! Seth's Reign now this. How do you find the time haha? Anyway, the terrain looks pretty epic and very original (compared to anything I've seen). Keep up the good work. +rep

Edit: looks like I'll have to give you some rep as soon as I 'spread some around'. I guess I just like your stuff.

Level 31
Not much currently. Going very slowly, I may get to it next week when I get more free time.

EDIT: Development is currently stopped due to time and interest lack. This month I am having exam session at my university as well. It is shut down until I come back for it after a break. It is not fully abandoned, just on hold.

Last edited:
Level 31
Summer exam session is over soon and I may get onto this project. I've been working a little for past few weeks, made quests, secrets, systems, map's mechanics and story is still under development as it develope during creation of map itself, there are not many premature decisions deciding what kind of game it will be. I am trying to make all quests as unique as possible, story and background original and tons of secrets that may require to use head much more than hack'n'slash game.

Now it goes like this: making a game and quests as I want and so only then I may generalize the shape of storyline, etc. Going full on improvisation. Next update may be more concentrated on what direction game may turn, also new terrain screenies.

Level 30
Wow, thought its abandoned but its here. Very nice! How about making the story like in Warcraft Lore like getting a legendary artifact like of a Sword, Froustmourne but name it Iceborn. Just a random wild guess that came into me.

Level 31
Thanks for the ideas, but I was thinking about something more complicated, something more of few conflicts mixed into one, perhaps battle for resources and old wounds between heads of cults. I'll see how it will go.

Just to reveal something, I can show one of spells. It will be the most universal spell. It's stats may also be adjusted within time so it may change in the final release, but overally it will be same idea.

icons_8320_btn.jpg

0lp8.jpg

Level 19
You could still have the same ulterior motive, but just change the way it is done.
Usually, in those legendary artifact that change change the face of the earth stories, a hero goes into a journey to find an artifact or just discovers it with a party of usually 3-5 heroes. One of the party members, maybe even the hero, betrays all the others and possibly kills one party member, fueling the remaining party member/s rage. That last surviving hero typically seeks the aid of someone else then boom, he either wins in an epic manner or just dies.

I suggest you use the formula of the Heroes Journey, made by Joseph Campbell here.

Last edited:

bethmachine

Banned
Level 8
Awesome terrain AP I looking forward to this map.Just for intrest I loved Seths Rain and still do I am stuck on this part in the map where I can't seem to get into the second temple but for some reason it still does not want to open I have everything they asked for but still does not open any solution to this I been trying to make it that I typed the words oin the scroll on the chatbox I am still trying till date to make it work.

Level 31
I suggest you use the formula of the Heroes Journey, made by Joseph Campbell here.
This formula might work as it adds complexity and changing events to any storyline.
Nice that you didn't give up on this.
This is breath-taking!
Dis iz wc5.
Awesome terrain AP I looking forward to this map
Thanks, I appreciate it. :)
I am stuck on this part in the map where I can't seem to get into the second temple
Well, it would be best if you asked it at Map's comment section and not here, but it's ok. You must have a translated text given by Ebo at village, then you must have it in your inventory and follow the wall of these huge stone blocks to the west of settlement until you approach two rotated stone heads, hero may automatically start speaking and doors may open within seconds. Good luck with it.

EDIT: Here are some new terrain sights, 2 from the gameplay point of view and 1 from far. More may come witihin few days I hope.
7r5m.png

zo4.png

16h4.png

Status
Not open for further replies.