• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Role Playing Game] Acheron

On which RPG Genre this project should be focused the most?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 31
Hey. No, I got into this after Iceborn, few months after Iceborn really. As for the time spent for this project I am not sure. A lot of time I did nothing at all. If I should tell a sum of time required for this so far I guess it would be something like 4-5 months of nonstop work.

I'm sad for not being able to get back to this project soon, because lately so many great opportunities showed up for some decent and professional voice acting.

Level 31
Thanks. :) Hmm, that's a nice idea, I guess some people might get interested. But I am not sure if I could do that. I like to get focused and many times I just sit and think before doing something. But why not to give a slight guide on the map, sounds nice, I will keep it in mind. :)

Level 11
I can't wait for this! Some of your elements inspire me... though I know time is a limiting factor (as I'm also doing a map but more on burning hell-like environment), but hey, I guess nobody's gonna complain your hardwork and beautiful designs!

Level 4
AProject, i will be awfully honest with you. This is not kind words, but honesty.
I think you are too talented, too motivated, too hardworking to just be a freelance (are you?) warcraft 3 developer.
You should really start your own game development company. Find people with the same passion as you do.
Do what like SureAI did with it's Nehrim and Enderal on The Elder Scroll series. Get funding from kickstarter, release a premium DLC, spend money on marketing. If it's this good, then surely someone will buy them. I'm sick of AAA gaming companies made games worse game than indie startup, just better graphics. Money is better spent elsewhere.

No it's not a way to make money. It's how to enjoy your hobby while still making profit and contributing to the society.

Level 11
Don't worry @APproject , my project is also stalling =(. Trying to force myself on working on it every Sunday, but, it seems... hard. I've not yet finished playing your IceBorn, but I am more interested in your Acheron's Affliction, because it somehow resembles my project Kalak'a'hui, but not as great as yours, cuz I don't know how to do hi-def models... I simply import and patch up, and tried to make my story goes interesting and quests becoming less chore-like (if you know what I mean).

Level 21
AProject, i will be awfully honest with you. This is not kind words, but honesty.
I think you are too talented, too motivated, too hardworking to just be a freelance (are you?) warcraft 3 developer.
You should really start your own game development company. Find people with the same passion as you do.
Do what like SureAI did with it's Nehrim and Enderal on The Elder Scroll series. Get funding from kickstarter, release a premium DLC, spend money on marketing. If it's this good, then surely someone will buy them. I'm sick of AAA gaming companies made games worse game than indie startup, just better graphics. Money is better spent elsewhere.

No it's not a way to make money. It's how to enjoy your hobby while still making profit and contributing to the society.

I sympathize with your mocking of most AAA companies and on topic:

Acheron's Affliction somewhat reminds me of Planescape Torment (which i yet have to play through), just darker.
I can see why you started a poll with two core directions. I would have a hard time deciding too, looking at the pictures.

Well i casted my vote and if only for artistic value - this already is impressive.

Level 6
Thank you for your kind words, hauw. I appreciate it. :) This truly sounds attractive, but I already feel angry with myself for not having time to work on this project. Thanks for motivation. :)

Yeah finish this one first you lazy ass ;)

What ... my map ? Dunno what you're talking about !

Level 4
I sympathize with your mocking of most AAA companies and on topic:

Acheron's Affliction somewhat reminds me of Planescape Torment (which i yet have to play through), just darker.
I can see why you started a poll with two core directions. I would have a hard time deciding too, looking at the pictures.

Well i casted my vote and if only for artistic value - this already is impressive.

Yeah... I know your feeling bro, totally.
59$ for bugged base game. 19$ for DLC. 19$ for another DLC + bug fix included. Another 59$ for expansion + bugs included (lol). And after that 19$ for DLC, no bug fix, etc. No passion, money oriented, customer satisfaction not guaranteed.

Level 31
Thanks. :) No, it will not be proportional, because major material is already uploaded and it will not reupload for each 1/3. If I am to make a guess, full map might reach 200 MBs, because cinematics are missing, which will take its piece. Size however could be be easily halved, but then texture quality might suffer, that I do not want to happen. Already saved around 30 MBs just by removing unnecessary animations and rezising oversized textures.

Thanks. :) No, it will not be proportional, because major material is already uploaded and it will not reupload for each 1/3. If I am to make a guess, full map might reach 200 MBs, because cinematics are missing, which will take its piece.
Hmm, that was just a proportional guess. I honestly love that terrains!
Good luck and upload the map faster, man! I'm too eager to see it! ;)
Size however could be be easily halved, but then texture quality might suffer, that I do not want to happen. Already saved around 30 MBs just by removing unnecessary animations and rezising oversized textures.
Yeah, it should have good quality.

Level 31
Thanks, I wish I could release it sooner though. As for the testing, I might pick someone to do the detailed testing as I did with Iceborn. Iceborn was tested by Lordkoon beck then, he did a good job. This time it will most likely be Molaf and someone else, might turn to Lordkoon again if he will be active at that time. When those tests are done and adjustments are made, it will be released.

Level 31
Hey, guys. Dropping by to tell that Azothan is revisiting Iceborn with new series, hopefully it will show more of the gameplay. Episode 3 below:

Watching those series makes me want to get back to mapping so badly, even though free time is not on my side at all. I actually have a decent amount of gameplay complete of Acheron's Affliction, it has been forgotten for a year or so. It lacks basic cosmetics, no cinematics, some voice acting is absent, storyline is sort of in place, but it would be hard to follow without cinematics. A big chunk of game is done, until the fight with Cerberus and then it ends for now.

I was thinking why not to polish some things and let Azothan play this unfinished version, Alpha I would call it. I would not release the map, but there would be Azothan giving it a test, gameplay only, no cinematics, balancing may be off, some bugs may be present and so on, but it would be a nice video for people subscribed to look at. What do you guys think about it?

Level 11
Would be sad if all that effort was wasted right? I could also contact Azothan if you couldn't/can't, shouldn't be a problem though, he checks the comment section.

Hey, guys. Dropping by to tell that Azothan is revisiting Iceborn with new series, hopefully it will show more of the gameplay. Episode 3 below:

Watching those series makes me want to get back to mapping so badly, even though free time is not on my side at all. I actually have a decent amount of gameplay complete of Acheron's Affliction, it has been forgotten for a year or so. It lacks basic cosmetics, no cinematics, some voice acting is absent, storyline is sort of in place, but it would be hard to follow without cinematics. A big chunk of game is done, until the fight with Cerberus and then it ends for now.

I was thinking why not to polish some things and let Azothan play this unfinished version, Alpha I would call it. I would not release the map, but there would be Azothan giving it a test, gameplay only, no cinematics, balancing may be off, some bugs may be present and so on, but it would be a nice video for people subscribed to look at. What do you guys think about it?

I think it's a great idea! It happens too often that you've worked on something and it's often wasted in the end. Regardless if it's finished or not, let Azothan play it and see if people give you some motivation and suggestions.

Sounds good, approved then. :) I may contact Azothan myself, but not sure exactly when, but I will try my best to have it all arranged this year. Map also needs to get prepared and some things needs to get done before sending out, but nothing major.

I'm looking forward to watching your map played. Maybe a Christmas gift? hehe.

Level 31
full

Dropping some new 2D art. This is also going to be used for the map preview image as for now. Going to get loadingscreen done, may be based on Molaf's art.

Also, I am changing the name of the map from Acheron's Affliction to Acheron. Simply because previous name was difficult to spell, difficult to remember, search and so on. It needs simplier name such as Acheron only, just like Iceborn was, simple and effective. Is it possible to change thread's title?

Azothan agreed to give it a shot at the DEMO version, map is almost prepared for him to play. Sadly it misses cinematics and voice acting in some areas.

EDIT: Changed the title.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.