• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

RPG some ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Here is my questions:

1) What do you want from an RPG game
2) Monsters must be MUCH stronger than the main hero or hero must be stronger?
3)custom abilities,selling,buying abilities?
4)ranking at schools of magic,war,archery and etc ?
5)saving system ?
6)map size,map quality,map difficulty
7) Hero XP gaining..(hero gains 0 exp from bandits at the town , but at forest he will gain 1%)
8)Do you really need an epilogue and prologue?
9) secret maps, items?
10) any more suggestions and ask me about everything..

(P.S. [offtopic] happy 2005 year!)

Level 2
I'm not sure if your talking about a rpg or a campaign but I'm assuming RPG (sorry if im wrong :( )

1: Usually in a RPG I like to have a choice when i do something, like should i be good and rescue the villager or be evil and leave them to die. If your going on a set story then give the person a lot to do, like have multiple quests going on at the same time, possibly interfering with each other (again with the choices).

2: At the start the player should struggle to survive, mid-way through they should be strong but still rely on abilities and items to fight the bigger enimies. At the end they should only struggle on bosses at least.

3: In RPG's you need custom abilities to a point, most of the time blizzard's abilities will work if they go along with the character (Example: no paladins with death and decay).
As for buying and selling, I think that's ok for items but abilities should stay with their owners

4: Schools are a very good addition to any RPG as long as they aren't just kill and reward, put some fun mini-games in to make the schools be a fun place to train.

5: Saving is dumb to me, but that's just my opinion. Too many times have I gone into a game and the other players have killed everything and I'm just getting started.
Some forms of saveing are ok though, like saving a score or some high level items that aren't too powerful.

6: The map should be big if it's open. If it's story driven then it really depends on how many people and how long the story is (hopefully long :) ).
In a open RPG, the map quality doesn't matter as long as the players have something to do.
In a story driven RPG it is genrely(sp) better to have a higher quality map because it is smaller and their's not as much to do.
I think I explained difficuly enough lol.

7: I think that caps on exp in certain areas is good, like in an arena it should be lowered but while facing a boss it should be upped(sry but I couldn't find a better word).

8: It depends on the story, if it needs a cinimatic then it should have one, otherwise it should only need a couple sentences in the loading screen.

9: Secrets are always fun, but don't make them powerfull enough to be exploited.

10: If you want your map to stand out, think of something new to put in it or refine an old idea to make it better.

Well I hoped that helped, and if it didn't i just wasted 12 minutes of my life lol.

Level 16
1: unique features
2: progressively strong. Not like enfos where the first is 50 hp, 13-15 to 160000, 50000-50000. Units should match up with the hero's strength, and requires a difficulty, but not so killing a small group leaves him/her seriously injured
3: Custom abilities, but don't be like the retarded mapmaker Julien, who screwed his map by making EVERY single thing, probably even doodads, customized, even when not needed
4: Interesting thought, but you should make challenges to do those
5: Of course
6: Size: Large or Epic, Quality: Good. Difficulty: Depends on how far into game
7: XP only comes from units with levels greater then 3 less of your hero level: A level 6 hero gets exp from level 3 and up creeps
8: Optional, but you need a story
9: No secrets unless they are like a small little hidden chest of gold or something minor
10: None, just do good terrain

Level 5
Unfortunatly, saving features in games is very overused, and, in a lot of games it really has no purpose. In many RPGS, however (such as the one you are going to make), a saving system would be benificial. Make sure to not have it easy to crack, however. Also, instead of just having hero saves, why not incorperate an additional save/load point system? Reward players for playing the game for extended periods of time by not only requiring level requirements for items, but requiring score requirements for some too. For each quest a player completes, add a point to his score. If you need scoring system codes, Emergency has one for heroes, and I have one for integers.

Having buyable abilities could also go along with this saving feature. To have a truly powerful hero make the some of the best abilities buyable, but they have to meet certain class requirements, point system requirements, level requirements, ect.

Level 9
Thanks a LOT for everybody who answered !

The_Lego_Mage
you was great !
you understand me at all ways an you make me a way throw ... ( damn now i need to do a high quality map :D )

About saving system i already did it by my own scripting ( not EZ) and it will consist of:
saving artifacts and campaing items ( cost of artifact will be 0 ) i wanna to make load system that will wok at each map for 15 seconds from the start or unit main hero never will die (i use replacing main hero by loaded hero, but if main hero = 0 than loaded hero restored at the center of a map (i'm too lazy to fix it by removing the loaded hero if "hero" = dead

custom abilities ( i made only 1 ability that main hero may level up )

his rank ( for example now i'm doing a warrior that may choose between church with their paladins and bandits with there stealth and fury)
Emm may be i'll do the 3rd way, the way of a barbarian :D

about schools i'll make some competitions at random time and you'll have a message at all maps that the competition will be soon

about caps of exp i'm thinking now for
towns = 0 % exp
first 10 levels for about 2-8%
boss will give much exp by himself because WE's object editor may change it to unlimited number :D
__() i also want to work with game contants because after playing D&D i remember icewind Dale with there barbarians and a wizard with death touch..
(P.S. i finish all NWN and it's a pity that their max level = 20 , monks rule)

about quests..it will be an impossible hard work to save all quests throw maps and about good\evil side i also remember icewind dale with there quest to kill good king , and when i went to him he gave a quest to kill an evil king:D
Hard of creeps will be changing by triggers and hp from 35 ( first bandits) to for about 2.000 hp with underworld units and demons) also it will depends on defence , atk, magic bonuses and a miss rate :D(without any evasion ability)

last thing need i to share it now to see the coments about what i did ?
because i update that campaing at 20% from 100%
i made a tavern ,weather element.

1 more thing i wana to make global time (if you end one map at night than at next level you also will have a night) ( timing for challanges )

Question about size: what size may have an RPG, because i wanna to use a lot of models for different regions .. Near Vulcano will be fire elementals and some sort of small creeps and worms
at villages will be cows,chickens,sheeps and bandits, so villeges willn't be so unweaponed as they are at WE

Remember only now:

what about some shipping to another islands ?

MRMaestro i already make a high quality trigger for saving buyable abilities. this map is here:

http://www.wc3sear.ch/?p=Maps&ID=3133

but i don't know relly,because i remembmer that i change save\load system several days ago but it could be only for multiboard class bug..

Level 9
Sorry if it will be a bumb 2 top :(

My question is for the same RPG type maps ..about their quests.

What kind of quests will be suggested for this type of maps ?
I mean quests like at "SpellForce:Breath of Winter" game with there fishing nets at the last map ,when the quest have been given at the first one..

or with that quests, that could be cmpleted at the same map.

quests not only for killing , but for gathering , transporting, defending and other things?
add me please,make some suggestions :idea:

Level 4
I got an idea for attributes, rather than leveling and then choosing your stats it should be like this...
1.You have 4 spells Strength,Agility,Intellgence,Dexterity
2.You may gain a point by autocasting the strength spell and when you level you gain a point while it is on autocast.
3.As you level higher the spells gain a level and for example if it is level 2 it would add more points to the stats.

Well thats the new idea for Attribute Points

Please use... it may change all rpg games or not.

Heres what itll change... people use lumber as points some people use and the points dont save or they use dialogs and add but doesnt look like such a great idea.

Level 9
as for now i see 1 big minus of this idea:
hero have 5 slots for magic and 4 of them he will loose by this conditions (str ,int,dex,agi)
and the hero may learn only 1 magic...

as for now i'm trying to make the same trigger as the D&D map use with their 2-nd and 3rd invisiable heroes where 2nd one is an additional spells and the 3rd one is an inventory

Level 7
Hmmm, as far as map size goes. I think a very, very, very large map size is good. (If you are a good terrainer or can hire one.) Only problem with the big map size. (preferable using World Editor Unlimited) Is that many rpgs have players with heros very different levels. So one can be far away, and another may be in the same region. So i suggest making NPC's, with AI. Now for E.G. all NPCs should talk, move, and all. Such as a campaign. I've done this and it really looks quite good. By movement here is an example:
Event: Every 113 seconds of game time.
Condition:
Action: Order (####) unit in (region (#####)) to move to random point in (region (#####))

thats pretty accurate.. Any way. That was my suggestion. :D

Level 9
if your campaign have the same trigger then it bugged.

i say it because i already fix it todays morning when i create the same type market.

the bug is consist by stopping that unit when somebody buy something from him

Fixing of this bug:
delete ability from the unit: choose hero
and add this strings to the trigger:

Event
Unit enters XXX
Condition
Unit entering the XXX equiral : market
Action
Add ability (choose hero) for entering unit
wait random (al al al - bla blabla)
remove ability (choose hero) from entering unit