• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Role Playing Game] Iceborn

Which of the following options would be the most enjoyable for you?

• Long gameplay.

Votes: 38 22.4%
  • Complex ability interaction with each other.

Votes: 15 8.8%
  • Abundance of ability special effects.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Astonishing feel and atmosphere, also a great storyline to follow.

Votes: 81 47.6%
  • More events where mind is put to the test and less of hack'n'slash.

Votes: 25 14.7%
  • Something else. (I would be thankful to be informed about it)

Votes: 4 2.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 31
Not bad guys, no. I just criticise all this issue because it lacks some rational thought in it. Even though I don't really see much sense in all these decisions, I respect it, otherwise I wouldn't be willing to contact Valve, which I will try to do soon. By saying protected resources, I meant resources that are put into a protected map, or protected resource as in terms of permission need.

Level 31
I wrote the letter to Valve yesturday, but still no response. I guess I picked the wrong email to send, wasn't really sure which one to pick. If no response within several days, I'll try something else.

Another terrain area, this looks like one big mess, but it is good from game camera point of view. There will be one of the last optional quests. Just a sudden environment change during these dark tunnels.
0vsd.png

Level 30
You are right, it was a sudden change at the type of environment but it is quite good though messy. I like the doodads/destructibles you used but again, it is quite messy. I do not even know if it's playable on that state.

But good job nonethless and keep going!

Level 31
Just a small spoiler:

I've been working on one quest for past two days and quest's reward is the dragon, which can be summoned for one minute with certain cooldown. Dragon itself is on his own, it keeps close to hero as a body guard for that minute. It has some nice lightning spells, planning to add even more. Here it is in the action, small screenie below:

kuw8.png

Level 31
Thanks. :)

New terrain after 6 hours of nonstop work today. There will be a puzzle for quest and in the end of this area will be a chest with pretty nice treasures and the last spell that can be learnt.

500 doodads left for the limit, so I will be forced to use Jass NewGen Pack for unlimited use of doodads once limit is reached.

And some of the notable statistics at this very point:

Total imported files: 1509 (185,790 KB)
Custom sounds: 185
Custom doodads: 343

plcv.png

akg1.png

wx6a.png

f5rr.png

Level 31
Thanks. :)

What? You're still not over the limit? This map has shown great progress that it should have exceeded the doodad limit by now.
I tried my best to make terrain with the least amount of doodads because I wasn't planning to use Jass NewGen. Areas looks full of doodads yet there are only like 200-300 doodads per area because of doodads big scale and so on.
maybe you should use the alpha tile on the ground there anyway? would be epic.
What do you mean? :)

Level 31
Some times i would wonder why wouldn't i use doodads instead of tilesets! But i'm still not sure...
Well, it takes valuable doodad space of course and most importantly time and effort, yet it opens many times bigger opportunities for the terrain and environment art. But I suppose this method can be applied usually only to flat areas or stairs, you can't make a typical nature picture, like forest, using doodads for ground, right?

Level 31
But alpha tile is everywhere there, you can't see any other tile. :goblin_jawdrop:

EDIT: Or do you mean those white blanks beneath the ground level? These are to cover The Black, because if nothing's there, the nothing is not covered with fog, so I must put something what could be covered with fog. In that picture fog start is set to quite far, that is why a bit of it is visible.

Level 30
While we know the fact that this is edited and all, I still say that this is just purely awesome. The art is really great and soothing to look at for me because of how neat it is. I also liked that you added the title logo already and a border for the introduction box.

Overall, nice job and keep up the good work. Don't say that you suck at this because you have definitely made a great job here!

Level 31
There will be no testing I guess, well maybe, not decided yet. That's the main problem, I fear many people may find it too hard because there are many challenging puzzles and it is impossible to continue if stuck, so impatient people might be an issue.

Also this map may not be replayable due to puzzles that do not change and are always the same, so if someone finish the game, all puzzles are known well and it would be boring to go through it again. Since there will be two game modes, perhaps in the future I will try to adapt puzzles to more difficult version of the game.

I do not want to sound offensive, but I do not make maps for everyone. There will be no easy walkthrough and only people who has what it takes may finish it without any cheating. Same story with Seth's Reign, but I hope to get less backfire from this project, hehe.

Level 31
Very few puzzles could be set to random, rest not really, because I would need to change the entire concept, some puzzles are based on understanding how it works, if you get it, then it is easy to solve, so no matter if I change stuff to random, if concept of it is known, it is easy to solve. Most of puzzles are like that though.

Hmm, here won't be more on that than in Seth's Reign, but world is much more linear and not spacy, so path where to go gonna be clear, yet rarely there will be a notice that a puzzle is met, you will have to figure it out on yourself. :) The goal is to go and do it, explore, try everything, and not to wait for some *clear point on map where to go* that many new rpgs are notable of. If I had to compare Skyrim and Morrowind in terms of depth and quality of gameplay, Skyrim is children game.

EDIT: I have been trying to contact Valve for a while, yet I failed to do so every single time. So I tried digging deeper in the forums about all this copyright issue of Dota models in Warcraft and PurgeandFire directed me straight to what I needed. Here is the thread. What is based on Steam Subscriber Agreement, it is fine to use their material as long as it is used non-commercially and not for merchandise.

Here are the quotes from the agreement:
G. Restrictions on Use of Software

You may not use the Software for any purpose other than the permitted access to Steam and your Subscriptions, and to make personal, non-commercial use of your Subscriptions, except as otherwise permitted by this Agreement or applicable Subscription Terms. Except as otherwise permitted under this Agreement (including any Subscription Terms or Rules of Use), or under applicable law notwithstanding these restrictions, you may not, in whole or in part, copy, photocopy, reproduce, publish, distribute, translate, reverse engineer, derive source code from, modify, disassemble, decompile, create derivative works based on, or remove any proprietary notices or labels from the Software or any software accessed via Steam without the prior consent, in writing, of Valve.
C. License to Use Valve Developer Tools

Your Subscription(s) may include access to various Valve tools that can be used to create content ("Developer Tools"). Some examples include: the Valve software development kit (the "SDK") for a version of the computer game engine known as "Source" (the "Source Engine") and the associated Valve Hammer editor, The Source® Filmmaker Software, or in-game tools through which you can edit or create derivative works of a Valve game. Particular Developer Tools (for example, The Source® Filmmaker Software) may be distributed with separate Subscription Terms that are different from the rules set forth in this Section. Otherwise, you may use the Developer Tools, and you may use, reproduce, publish, perform, display and distribute any content you create using the Developer Tools, however you wish, but solely on a non-commercial basis.
I may present this argument once map is released in order to let Dota 2 models stay in the project. I have contacted Ralle already and he approved it by the modification of Hive resource rules:
  • Ripped resources from other games are not allowed to be used, unless they are from another Blizzard Entertainment game or if their license permits the use in maps (proper proof for this use must be put in the description).

Level 31
I appreciate it, hope this finding will open doors for Dota resources for everyone. :)

EDIT: This is the last room of this type of terrain area. I didn't mention yet, but game will be set into 4 acts / parts, this area in an end to act 3, after this the last act begins when the final clash between good and corrupted may occur. Act 3 is full of puzzles, puzzle after puzzle, while act 4 may be more action-orientated.

I also finished all spells for a hero and almost all items, maybe not almost, but 100% sure. Will see how it goes. Spells do not have levels and it might be acquired only through an item found on the way so only now spells are finished.

So in this area will be also a puzzle, after it a boss may appear for a fight. This puzzle will be different from others by its way of solving, player will have to count on sounds in order to solve it. Oh, and I love these statues.
mku4.png

5gw0.png

8fla.png

Level 30
Great and high quality terrain as always from you, APproject. I just cant say anything of a suggestion to this because of great it is that I cant even find a single fault in it.

It is also good that there are also some puzzles in here because plain hack n slash is quite boring. Your ideas of puzzle are also quite amazing!

Great job on this and keep going!

Level 31
There will be two modes, Normal and Advanced. But it would not affect the difficulty of puzzles, only the strength of enemies. I avoid all kind of easy modes, because people pick easy ALL THE TIME and since this game is not likely replayable, there will be no easy walkthrough.

Thanks, Hell_Master. :)

because people pick easy ALL THE TIME and since this game is not likely replayable, there will be no easy walkthrough.
I like that you chose to!
Advanced i guess that would be Hard right?
there will be no easy walkthrough.
So we will spend a lot of time figuring out this and that while avoiding to be killed. That's great man:D

Level 7
Picking Advanced and keep on saving each time I walk XD

Btw, puzzles sounds tempting.. XD

Level 31
Advanced i guess that would be Hard right?
Yes, I avoid word Hard, because it is really not attractive to pick, so I use word Advanced.
So we will spend a lot of time figuring out this and that while avoiding to be killed
Not necessarily, it may depend much on how you play, but advanced mode may push you to the limits in terms of hack'n'slash.
something tells me he will use prevent save system
No no, saving is vital. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.