1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. The Highway to Hell has been laid open. Come along and participate in the 5th Special Effect Contest.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Hero Contest #7 - Classic

Discussion in 'Contest Archive' started by Kyrbi0, Aug 28, 2014.

1. A Void

A Void

Resources:
    Models:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    So they say.. You are being childish with that "over", "capt obvious"- how old are you? twelve? nevertheless I will respect the rules and will ignore you with no further notice. PS: Your grammar is failing. :)

Sry Off-Topic

2. Footman16

Footman16

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Isn't that a custom model made from the BETA files?

3. A Void

A Void

Resources:
    Models:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Yes it is, it was made by Kuhneghetz. I will recreate the alpha Ranger hero from the alpha version of Warcraft III. It will include custom model, abilities and icons.

4. Footman16

Footman16

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I know you're doing this deliberately but still...

5. Heinvers

Heinvers

Arena Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Resources:
    You always try to bypass rules!

6. Footman16

Footman16

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    No, he doesn't try to bypass them at all he blatantly breaks them because he likes to cause a storm when there's no need.

7. A Void

A Void

Resources:
    Models:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Well, then I will just use in-game ranger model. :)

8. Footman16

Footman16

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Didn't ask; don't care.

EDIT: Kyrbi0 when it says two spells must be trigger enhanced, what does that mean? Does it mean I can make the entire spell based off of a standard ability and then just use a trigger to make an effect or what?

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  9. Bannar

Bannar

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    At least two spells must be enhanced - you need to work on them a bit e.g use some GUI triggering or do some scripting.
    Hero Contest is more of a "generic" contest - instead of focusing on one thing, you are forced to work on many different things - concept, spells, idea behind, name, art, effects etc. - and don't forget to connect them together.

The impression your hero gives, is very strong argument towards winning the whole contest, thats why you don't really want to miss a thing :)

10. Footman16

Footman16

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Oh I know all this but I want to know to which extent they must be trigger/script enhanced. Whether it's creating a Special effect, the spell's effects themselves all of the above or anything else I may have missed.

11. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Guys, just leave A Void alone. If he wants to break the rules, his submission will be disqualified and that's that. The Rules are available for all to read.

@A Void, I'm glad to see someone using the schweet Ranger model. Good luck; please try to avoid riling people up.

Since it doesn't indicate (& due to some other factors, i.e. people I don't want to 'scare away' from this Contest), I would interpret that to mean any level of Triggering is acceptable. Even as simple as a Dummy-Cast-ed ability or a Trigger which adds SFX to an existing Spell is "trigger-enhanced".

Of course, with that in mind, using the bare minimum of coding might not net you a very good score in "originality" unless you're really resourceful... Just something to keep in mind. : )

12. Bannar

Bannar

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Don't be afraid to ask for help in Trigger & Scripts or World Editor Help Zone. We may not code/do stuff for you, but we are allowed to help you achieving your goal.

13. Cokemonkey11

Cokemonkey11

Wurst Reviewer

Resources:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Someone needs to address the elephant in the room. The contest has been set incorrectly with at least one incorrect rule. All these hero-related posts are fine and dandy, but also ignorant. If someone doesn't mend the problems this contest will never be peak standard.

14. jonhysone

jonhysone

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I will join the contest.
    My goal is to complete a hero :
    Name : Hell Master
    Spells : Super Nova - Nova Spray - Phoenix Rush - Hell Rush ( They are all done and bugfree )

I may miss posting my hero but actually because of school and Baccalaureate (High School Certificate) and bullshit, but however, I join this.

15. Kingz

Kingz

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Ergh done as in done before this contest?

16. busterkomo

busterkomo

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    That should probably be replaced by a 'Shard' struct array.

17. Quilnez

Quilnez

Resources:
    Icons:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    you are right :) thanks!

18. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    I made an Edited addition to this post that might be of interest...

I'll be honest, I could almost see a pure Furbolg in the NE race, but a "Polar Furbolg"? Might be too much of a stretch.

Once again, though, we're not going to come down hard on whether or not it fits Thematically; that'll be for the Judges to decide (and/or penalize). I'm more concerned that people are making Heroes that are Mechanically fitting (i.e. Role) to Warcraft 3 Heroes, since that's sorta the point of the Contest.

Look, I appreciate your comments & that you want to see this Contest succeed (as do I); we have that in common. So let's make the most of that commonality rather than what sets us apart.

I have, as I said I would, sent out a message 'to my betters' to try & get some good advice on the subject (I'm awaiting a reply). More importantly, rather than "calling out" the problem repeatedly, consider responding to the various ideas that have been suggested...

Or perhaps more importantly, we could've used your thoughts on the write-up that has been sitting around for almost an entire year... I openly admitted to needing some help on the coding bits.

19. Direfury

Direfury

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    I guess I'm in, though I won't be able to do much triggering for my Hero. I'd actually managed to work a side-effect of one of the abilities' triggered components into a form of counterplay against another of this Hero. However, if I reach a point where no matter what I do, I can't make the ability work as intended, and can't find any workarounds, I'm out.

Hopefully that doesn't happen, and I can stay 'til the end. Anyway, here, I've already set up the kit.

My submission so far
    [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/SHZVc2k.png[/IMG]
    Tala Starseer - the High Elf Arcanist
    The Arcanist is an AoE damage dealer, best kept in the backline, raining down arcane magic upon her enemies, preferably with a troop of Spellbreakers at the front, who aren't at risk of being killed by her assault. The Arcanist was a Sorceress of great skill and immense power. This immense power is hard to control, and her magicks run the risk of causing great harm to her allies.

Tala excels at defending allied bases, and facing large enemy forces. Her abilities are Stormshiver, Starburst, Nourish and Polymastery.

Basic Attack animation
    Arcane Mana Beam
    [​IMG]

With every attack, the Arcanist fires a beam of energy at her enemies.

Stormshiver
    [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/p9aOqTE.png[/IMG]
    [​IMG]Stormshiver:
    Mana Cost - 40/65/90
    Cooldown - 5/3.75/2.5
    [Level 1/2/3] - The Arcanist calls down a bolt of lightning, dealing upto 100/175/250 damage to any enemy units caught within the blast radius [100].

Stormshiver is an excellent damage ability later in the game, when the Arcanist has a larger mana pool, although if not used carefully, can easily kill allied units.
    Starburst
    [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/0Ra74JN.png[/IMG]
    [​IMG]Starburst:
    Mana Cost - 60/70/80
    Cooldown - 10/10/10
    [Level 1/2/3] - Summons 3/5/7 Starchildren, who then flock to the Arcanist, lasting 7 seconds.

The Starchildren will move to explode near whoever the Arcanist attacks, dealing upto 150/250/350 damage to enemy units around them.

Starburst is an interesting spell, which summons a number of Starchildren. These children can be controlled for 7 seconds before disappearing, but will default to following the Arcanist, and attacking either the enemy she targets first, or whoever they can get to if she is ordered to "Attack Move" to an area.
    Nourish
    [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/mmCIQ4C.png[/IMG]
    [​IMG]Nourish:
    Mana Cost - 75/75/75
    Cooldown - 10/12.5/15
    [Level 1/2/3] - After a short delay, the Arcanist lets out a surge of magical energy, increasing all nearby allied units' health regeneration, mana regeneration, aswell as increasing their armor by 5, while reducing their Damage by 25% for 10 seconds.

While being Nourished, the Arcanist gains +5 Agility, Intelligence and Strength.
    Once Nourish dispels, it can disrupt nearby Arcanists' own Nourished Agility, Intelligence and Strength.

Nourish has the potential to greatly affect the outcome of an upcoming battle. After a brief channeling, the Arcanist buffs all nearby allied units, granting them extremely rapid regeneration and a huge armor boost, while briefly reducing the damage they can do.
    Polymastery
    [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/uIQucBq.png[/IMG]
    [​IMG]Polymastery:
    Mana Cost - 250
    Cooldown - 180
    [Level 1] - The Arcanist summons a small horde of her polymorphed enemies, appearing in the sky in fifteen waves. Each falling Sheep deals 100 damage to nearby units.

Polymastery is an interesting spell, with rather grim implications. This ability has a very long channel time, and can heavily damage a large portion of enemy or allied bases. Battles fought within the Polymastery AoE should consist mostly of Spellbreakers under your or your allies' control, else you run the risk of killing or wounding a sizable chunk of both armies.

All that's left for me now to do is to balance the Hero out. Currently, their early game is surprisingly weak, but their lategame is very powerful if they aren't pressured by their enemies. Most of their spells have some form of casting delay.

One such ability provides them with enough mana regeneration to more than make up for the initial mana cost, and given enough time they can quickly regenerate their own mana pool. If you let them be for long enough, they can unleash a massive barrage of magic upon you, with their full mana bar.

20. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    I'll be perfectly honest... I didn't know you had it in you, man. I am really impressed (and I swear, I'm not just saying that to butter you up for a Request (But now that you mention it... :D)). That is a really cohesive, interesting & especially Warcraft-y hero. I love how you (& others) are really maximizing the innovation by rockin' those "hidden icons", and I'm really liking the little artistic additions (lightning balls, mana-beam-attack). Also, you're abilities are interestingly-named, simple, yet effective, and carry a reasonable Theme with great Role.

- "Stormshiver" is good for just raw damage ((nearly) every Hero needs some form of DD or DoT, I've found).
    - "Starburst" I love because I was totally thinking about remaking the classic D&D-style "Magic Missile" (i.e. controllable arcane bolts). If you're not already, think about using the 'hidden' Wisp model for the SFX.
    - "Nourish" is neat because I love supportive spells with a downside, and while I'm not so sure about stat-boosting (only the Tinker does it AFAIK, and it's only as an Ultimate alternate-form), I like the interplay.
    - "Polymastery" is nifty because it's a solid element of Unit -> Hero design; take the spells of the original & "max them out" (i.e. Banshee: Possession -> Dark Ranger: Charm... Shaman: Purge/Lightning Shield -> Far Seer: Chain Lightning... etc). So turning "Polymorph" into something useful is a really great way to go, methinks.

I only have very few critiques:
    • I'd honestly just switch to using the Jaina model; not only will it look cooler/more unique/more Heroic, but it fits just as well (Jaina always seemed like a "super-sorceress" to me anyways). I know it won't fit so well with those thunder-balls, but meh.
    • I love "Starburst" (yum, lol), "Nourish" (though maybe more on a Druid/Healer hero) and "Polymastery" (catchy)... "Stormshiver" is the only odd one out. It's also nifty, but since it doesn't involve frost at all, just seems a little... odd. What about "Call Thunder" or "Arcane Strike" or "Electrozap" (lame...) or "Power Word: Damage" or "Skysizzle" or "Skystrike"?
    • I'm sure you're aware, but while "Tala Starseer" is a great start, don't forget to make several other Proper Names (otherwise she'll be more fitting to an AoS).
    • I'm curious which base spell you used for Nourish (hopefully you've avoided buffs-not-stacking), but I think I see you're problem-workaround thing you're talking about; you check across the map/area for any other Starseer heroes with the raised stats & then remove them.
      To be honest, considering what I said above, I don't think you'd go wrong in just removing the stat-bonus altogether. Would save you a lot of head-ache, as well.
    • Polymastery is cool & interesting (see above)... But after the first 2, I'm kinda feeling that your Hero is a bit 'burned out' for Direct Damage. 3 out of 4 of your Heroe's abilities deal Direct Damage in one form or another... And while I appreciate that may be her Role (style/mechanics/etc), I think it can be taken too far. Take a look at the Firelord; he's a guy all about "dealing damage" (even says so in the tooltip) but Blizzard did it in 4 interesting ways, rather than "DD-DD-?-DD".
      Since you're making a sort of generic High Elf "super-sorceress", the sky is seriously the limit; you can make abilities out of arcane energy, teleportation, transmogrifying, magic missile, shields, eidolons, etc (Theme)... You can make abilities that feature buffing, debuffing, dispelling, disabling, channeling, summons, etc (Role)...
      What I'd consider is to 1) Refine the Role (perhaps "dealing damage" is insufficient, perhaps not), and then 2) Consider some replacement/modified abilities. Honestly I think "Nourish" and "Starburst" are probably perfect as is... While I like "Polymastery" I feel it could perhaps be different (i.e. not just about Damage). But maybe. an AoE Polymorph wouldn't be too far amiss, mayhaps (perhaps with an additional temporary AoE stun/slow?).
      Heck, taking some inspiration from the Diablo 3 "Wizard" class wouldn't be too far amiss either. Lots of good stuff there. That and ancient D&D texts.

Keep it up, guys!