• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hero Contest #7 - Classic

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're basically doing the same thing I did, using a similar ingame model with a different color scheme.

Still, it looks corrupted, so that may cost you some points, it doesn't quite fit in. You may wanna do what I've done, adding cosmetic effects to help your hero both stand out and fit their theme.

NOTE:
I just had a bit of an idea. Perhaps you could use the Impale ability, create a 'shockwave' that summons a treant whenever it strikes an enemy unit. That'd be pretty cool.

Level 25
You're basically doing the same thing I did, using a similar ingame model with a different color scheme.

Still, it looks corrupted, so that may cost you some points, it doesn't quite fit in. You may wanna do what I've done, adding cosmetic effects to help your hero both stand out and fit their theme.

NOTE:
I just had a bit of an idea. Perhaps you could use the Impale ability, create a 'shockwave' that summons a treant whenever it strikes an enemy unit. That'd be pretty cool.

Thanks! Those are nice ideas. But some ancients are really purple

Watchers suck, hero change for the seventh time. Theme might be contested...

Night Ranger
Q - Fetter
Shoots an arrow with a net, rooting the first enemy it hits for 3/4/5 seconds and dealing 80/135/190 damage to it.

W - Penetrating Shot
Every three attacks shoot an arrow towards the target that damages enemies it hits by 60/100/140.

E - Slide
Dashes towards a target point, increasing attackspeed by 30/45/60% for 3 seconds.

R - Trueshot
Fires an arrow that travels across the map, dealing 250 damage to the first unit it hits. This increases by 15% for every 1000 range travelled, and up to 25% more based on how close the target is to the arrow path. If this kills a hero, the cooldown resets.

Cokemonkey11

Spell Reviewer
Level 29
I may not love your abilities (Themes, mainly; as aforementioned); but I love the time & thought you've put into the Role & Theme of your hero in general.

Yeah, hybrid themes are harder to grasp, and generally produce a less cohesive result than the alternative, but I was able to describe it in one sentence, so I think it's reasonable for now.

A modified version of an existing in-game icon to increase functionality ONLY (i.e. creating a Passive-version, or Autocast-version, or Regular-version, etc); i.e. only Border-change.

Simple hue adjustments (recolors) are not allowed then, correct? It would be useful to turn a yellow icon slightly green, for example.

WIP:
Probably I coded it in GUI(lots of reports to be made in my school which is college)
Fate Weave:
  • FW Init
    • Events
      • Map initialization
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • -------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------- --------
      • -------- Configuration --------
      • -------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------- --------
      • -------- How long does the effect last? --------
      • Set FW_Duration = 5.00
      • -------- How far can units be affected? --------
      • Set FW_Radius = 750.00
      • -------- SFX --------
      • -------- On Cast Effect(Caster) --------
      • Set FW_OnCastSFX = Abilities\Spells\Demon\DarkPortal\DarkPortalTarget.mdl
      • Set FW_OnCastAttach = foot
      • -------- On Cast Effect(Enemy) --------
      • Set FW_OnCastEnemySFX = Abilities\Spells\Human\Slow\SlowCaster.mdl
      • Set FW_OnCastEnemyAttach = overhead
      • -------- On Loop Effect(Enemy) --------
      • Set FW_OnLoopSFX = Abilities\Spells\Orc\EtherealForm\SpiritWalkerChange.mdl
      • Set FW_OnLoopAttach = chest
  • FW Cast
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to Fate Weave
    • Actions
      • Set FW_Caster = (Triggering unit)
      • Special Effect - Create a special effect attached to the FW_OnCastAttach of FW_Caster using FW_OnCastSFX
      • Special Effect - Destroy (Last created special effect)
      • Set FW_Point = (Position of FW_Caster)
      • Set FW_EnemyGroup = (Units within FW_Radius of FW_Point)
      • Set FW_Owner = (Owner of FW_Caster)
      • Unit Group - Pick every unit in FW_EnemyGroup and do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • Set FW_Picked = (Picked unit)
          • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
            • If - Conditions
              • And - All (Conditions) are true
                • Conditions
                  • (FW_Picked is A structure) Not equal to True
                  • (FW_Picked is Magic Immune) Not equal to True
                  • (FW_Picked belongs to an enemy of FW_Owner) Equal to True
                  • (FW_Picked is alive) Equal to True
            • Then - Actions
              • Set FW_Count = (FW_Count + 1)
              • Set FW_Unit[FW_Count] = FW_Picked
              • Special Effect - Create a special effect attached to the FW_OnCastEnemyAttach of FW_Picked using FW_OnCastEnemySFX
              • Special Effect - Create a special effect attached to the FW_OnLoopAttach of FW_Picked using FW_OnLoopSFX
              • Set FW_Effect[FW_Count] = (Last created special effect)
              • Set FW_PrevLife[FW_Count] = (Life of FW_Picked)
              • Set FW_Time[FW_Count] = FW_Duration
                • If - Conditions
                  • FW_Count Equal to 1
                • Then - Actions
                  • Trigger - Turn on FW Loop <gen>
                • Else - Actions
            • Else - Actions
      • Custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_FW_Point)
      • Custom script: call DestroyGroup(udg_FW_EnemyGroup)
  • FW Loop
    • Events
      • Time - Every 0.03 seconds of game time
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • For each (Integer FW_I) from 1 to FW_Count, do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
            • If - Conditions
                • Conditions
                  • (FW_Unit[FW_I] is alive) Equal to True
                  • FW_Time[FW_I] Greater than 0.00
            • Then - Actions
              • Set FW_CurrentLife = (Life of FW_Unit[FW_I])
                • If - Conditions
                  • FW_CurrentLife Less than FW_PrevLife[FW_I]
                • Then - Actions
                  • Set FW_PrevLife[FW_I] = FW_CurrentLife
                • Else - Actions
              • Unit - Set life of FW_Unit[FW_I] to FW_PrevLife[FW_I]
              • Set FW_Time[FW_I] = (FW_Time[FW_I] - 0.03)
              • Special Effect - Destroy FW_Effect[FW_I]
              • Special Effect - Create a special effect attached to the FW_OnLoopAttach of FW_Unit[FW_I] using FW_OnLoopSFX
              • Set FW_Effect[FW_I] = (Last created special effect)
            • Else - Actions
              • Special Effect - Destroy FW_Effect[FW_I]
              • Set FW_PrevLife[FW_I] = FW_PrevLife[FW_Count]
              • Set FW_Effect[FW_I] = FW_Effect[FW_Count]
              • Set FW_Time[FW_I] = FW_Time[FW_Count]
              • Set FW_Unit[FW_I] = FW_Unit[FW_Count]
              • Set FW_Count = (FW_Count - 1)
                • If - Conditions
                  • FW_Count Equal to 0
                • Then - Actions
                  • Trigger - Turn off (This trigger)
                • Else - Actions
Age Molt:
  • AM Init
    • Events
      • Map initialization
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • -------- Configuration --------
      • -------- How long does the spell last? --------
      • Set AM_DurationBase = 2.00
      • Set AM_DurationInc = 1.00
      • -------- How much life per second? --------
      • Set AM_HealthBase = 25.00
      • Set AM_HealthInc = 25.00
      • -------- How often does the regeneration occur? (In a second) --------
      • Set AM_RegenFrames = 10
      • -------- SFX --------
      • -------- On Cast Effect --------
      • Set AM_OnCastSFX = Abilities\Spells\Undead\ReplenishHealth\ReplenishHealthCasterOverhead.mdl
      • Set AM_OnCastAttach = overhead
      • -------- On Loop Effect --------
      • Set AM_OnLoopSFX = Objects\Spawnmodels\Undead\UndeadBlood\UndeadBloodCryptFiend.mdl
      • Set AM_OnLoopAttach = chest
      • Set AM_OnLoopFrames = 10
      • -------- On Rebirth Effect --------
      • Set AM_OnBirthSFX = Abilities\Spells\Undead\AnimateDead\AnimateDeadTarget.mdl
      • -------- Maximum Unit Appearance --------
      • Set AM_FinalScale = 200.00
      • Set AM_MoltAlpha = 50.00
  • AM Cast
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to Age Molt
    • Actions
      • Set AM_Count = (AM_Count + 1)
      • Set AM_Caster = (Triggering unit)
      • Set AM_Level = (Level of Age Molt for AM_Caster)
      • Set AM_MaxDur[AM_Count] = (AM_DurationBase + (AM_DurationInc x (Real(AM_Level))))
      • Set AM_Duration[AM_Count] = 0.00
      • Set AM_Regen[AM_Count] = (AM_HealthBase + (AM_HealthInc x (Real(AM_Level))))
      • Set AM_RegenFrame[AM_Count] = (1.00 / (Real(AM_RegenFrames)))
      • Set AM_EffectFrame[AM_Count] = (1.00 / (Real(AM_OnLoopFrames)))
      • Special Effect - Create a special effect attached to the AM_OnCastAttach of AM_Caster using AM_OnCastSFX
      • Set AM_Unit[AM_Count] = AM_Caster
        • If - Conditions
          • AM_Count Equal to 1
        • Then - Actions
          • Trigger - Turn on AM Loop <gen>
        • Else - Actions
  • AM Loop
    • Events
      • Time - Every 0.03 seconds of game time
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • For each (Integer AM_I) from 1 to AM_Count, do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
            • If - Conditions
                • Conditions
                  • AM_Duration[AM_I] Less than or equal to AM_MaxDur[AM_I]
                  • (AM_Unit[AM_I] is alive) Equal to True
            • Then - Actions
              • Set AM_Duration[AM_I] = (AM_Duration[AM_I] + 0.03)
                • If - Conditions
                  • AM_RegenFrame[AM_I] Less than or equal to 0.00
                • Then - Actions
                  • Set AM_RegenFrame[AM_I] = (1.00 / (Real(AM_RegenFrames)))
                  • Unit - Set life of AM_Unit[AM_I] to ((Life of AM_Unit[AM_I]) + (AM_Regen[AM_I] / (Real(AM_RegenFrames))))
                • Else - Actions
                  • Set AM_RegenFrame[AM_I] = (AM_RegenFrame[AM_I] - 0.03)
                • If - Conditions
                  • AM_EffectFrame[AM_I] Less than or equal to 0.00
                • Then - Actions
                  • Set AM_EffectFrame[AM_I] = (1.00 / (Real(AM_OnLoopFrames)))
                  • Special Effect - Create a special effect attached to the AM_OnLoopAttach of AM_Unit[AM_I] using AM_OnLoopSFX
                • Else - Actions
                  • Set AM_EffectFrame[AM_I] = (AM_EffectFrame[AM_I] - 0.03)
              • Set AM_Percent = (AM_Duration[AM_I] / AM_MaxDur[AM_I])
              • Animation - Change AM_Unit[AM_I]'s size to ((100.00 + ((AM_FinalScale - 100.00) x AM_Percent))%, 0.00%, 0.00%) of its original size
            • Else - Actions
              • Animation - Change AM_Unit[AM_I]'s size to (100.00%, 0.00%, 0.00%) of its original size
              • Set AM_Position = (Position of AM_Unit[AM_I])
              • Unit - Create 1 TB Shadow Dummy for (Owner of AM_Unit[AM_I]) at AM_Position facing (Facing of AM_Unit[AM_I]) degrees
              • Animation - Change (Last created unit)'s size to (AM_FinalScale%, 0.00%, 0.00%) of its original size
              • Animation - Change (Last created unit)'s vertex coloring to (100.00%, 100.00%, 100.00%) with AM_MoltAlpha% transparency
              • Unit - Add a 3.00 second Generic expiration timer to (Last created unit)
              • Animation - Play (Last created unit)'s death animation
              • Special Effect - Create a special effect at AM_Position using AM_OnBirthSFX
              • Custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_AM_Position)
              • Unit - Remove All buffs from AM_Unit[AM_I]
              • Set AM_Duration[AM_I] = AM_Duration[AM_Count]
              • Set AM_MaxDur[AM_I] = AM_MaxDur[AM_Count]
              • Set AM_RegenFrame[AM_I] = AM_RegenFrame[AM_Count]
              • Set AM_EffectFrame[AM_I] = AM_EffectFrame[AM_Count]
              • Set AM_Regen[AM_I] = AM_Regen[AM_Count]
              • Set AM_Unit[AM_I] = AM_Unit[AM_Count]
              • Set AM_Count = (AM_Count - 1)
                • If - Conditions
                  • AM_Count Equal to 0
                • Then - Actions
                  • Trigger - Turn off (This trigger)
                • Else - Actions
Will add doc soon.
Yep, those are short codes. Besides, Melee heroes doesn't have to be complex, it just needs simplicity and the most important is : it's contribution to the team.

Attachments

• HC 7.w3x
    211.6 KB · Views: 106
Yeah i had those ideas but they to me seem worn out kinda.

Why not try a passive? Something like... Every time the Primal Druid kills an enemy unit, they quickly regenerate <Amount per Level> Health and <Amount per level> Mana over 5/5/5 Seconds.

Maybe an enhanced AoE buff, like a heroic Roar, that does something if you use it while Regenerating from your passive. Maybe lower enemy Movespeed or Armor if they're in range of the Roar.

Those seem primal, try that? There's the "Summon Treant" effect, too, you could probably use that for an offensive/defensive skill. This help?

Level 25
I want to come up with the skill that uses the Primal Fury effect in some way.
So far i have that skill planned and the passive:

Natural Balance

Grants neary allies a passive 7/14/21% move speed and makes them regenerate life when attacking an enemy with more health than they have.
Allies regenerate 15/25/35 health when attacking an enemy unit with more health than theirs.

Tho im not sure if this is the way to go yet, idk.
Treants are already there with the Keeper of the Grove, druids of the claw already have an aoe buff so adding more might make it too broken.
I want it to be a self sustain tank with some utility simmilar to paladin, but all i can come up with is boring morph/self buff skills so far.
And tanks need some kind of a CC to make them a threat, and all i can think of is something like a thunderclap or something with roots, which is also annoying me.

Might switch to a different hero idea if i don't get more inspiration soon :>

How about some sort of targeted melee attack? Deals <Amount per level> Damage, and heals <Half of said amount>. Low cooldown, low mana cost, mana is refunded and the cooldown is reset if it kills an enemy unit. Or, if you don't want the cooldown to reset, what if killing an enemy unit with the ability granted your Druid a temporary aura? How's that for utility?

Level 25
How about some sort of targeted melee attack? Deals <Amount per level> Damage, and heals <Half of said amount>. Low cooldown, low mana cost, mana is refunded and the cooldown is reset if it kills an enemy unit. Or, if you don't want the cooldown to reset, what if killing an enemy unit with the ability granted your Druid a temporary aura? How's that for utility?

You can't reset a specific ability on a unit sadly.
The druid already has 2 sustain skills, adding another would be too much.

I have thought about a targeted melee attack, but having a hard time making it original a lot.
Maybe something like:

Cleaves the targets in front of the druid causing a bleeding effect. While bleeding units suffer a penalty to movement speed, attack speed and lose hp rapidly. Strength of the cleave is amplified by number of Primal Fury stacks.

Might work, however an ultimate must be something exceptional so if i cannot think of a good idea on it the hero might get scrapped.

Level 25
Sure:

Enter an enraged state inflicting a penalty to health regeneration while providing increased attack speed and life steal. Can be recast resulting in life steal and health regeneration penalties to stack up to 3 times.

Level 1 - Causes this unit to attack 20% faster and inflicts a -2 hp regeneration penalty but gives a 10% life leech.
Level 2 - Causes this unit to attack 30% faster and inflicts a -3 hp regeneration penalty but gives a 15% life leech.
Level 3 - Causes this unit to attack 40% faster and inflicts a -4 hp regeneration penalty but gives a 20% life leech.

So with 3 stacks of level 3 primal fury the Druid would attack 40% faster with a -12 hp/second penalty to his regeneration with a 60% life leech.
Might tune in the numbers but i am kinda going with the idea that this Druid's healing abilities require you to somehow damage your enemies, making him a tank that needs to constantly attack in order to rejuvenate himself opposed to just slapping him with armor/life regen/heal.
As in the druid is more in contact with a beastly behavior, thus the Primal part.

Natural Balance

Grants neary allies a passive 7/14/21% move speed and makes them regenerate life when attacking an enemy with more health than they have.
Allies regenerate 15/25/35 health when attacking an enemy unit with more health than theirs.

Cleaves the targets in front of the druid causing a bleeding effect. While bleeding units suffer a penalty to movement speed, attack speed and lose hp rapidly. Strength of the cleave is amplified by number of Primal Fury stacks.

Well, the Night Elves have quite a bit of magical damage. Maybe your ultimate could be a "Primal Howl" that would debuff all nearby organic enemy units, amplifying magic damage dealt to them by a set amount. If an allied unit kills one of these debuffed enemies, they regenerate some mana/health. A small amount, like 25 health and 30 mana.

This means your Druids become quite a bit stronger, and so do your Faerie Dragons.

Level 17
Sure:

Enter an enraged state inflicting a penalty to health regeneration while providing increased attack speed and life steal. Can be recast resulting in life steal and health regeneration penalties to stack up to 3 times.

Level 1 - Causes this unit to attack 20% faster and inflicts a -2 hp regeneration penalty but gives a 10% life leech.
Level 2 - Causes this unit to attack 30% faster and inflicts a -3 hp regeneration penalty but gives a 15% life leech.
Level 3 - Causes this unit to attack 40% faster and inflicts a -4 hp regeneration penalty but gives a 20% life leech.

So with 3 stacks of level 3 primal fury the Druid would attack 40% faster with a -12 hp/second penalty to his regeneration with a 60% life leech.
Might tune in the numbers but i am kinda going with the idea that this Druid's healing abilities require you to somehow damage your enemies, making him a tank that needs to constantly attack in order to rejuvenate himself opposed to just slapping him with armor/life regen/heal.
As in the druid is more in contact with a beastly behavior, thus the Primal part.

Natural Balance

is no one coming up with something dull like spells that just give some flat buff like holy light or storm bolt thats all that is required for melle maps guys :thumbs_up:
these are good ideas btw

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Cokemonkey11 said:
Simple hue adjustments (recolors) are not allowed then, correct? It would be useful to turn a yellow icon slightly green, for example.
Correct (they are not). I too would love to do some recolors for my purposes, but alas. "Next" Contest, though, could be Custom Resources (or heck, Team-based and then you have an Artist-buddy to do all that!).

Speaking of which, I'm strongly considering removing the "Dissipate anim fix" exception to the "No Imports" rule, because it's hard not to justify Portrait mods after that as well (slippery slope). Kinda trying to avoid having (almost) anything in the Import Editor.

Almia said:
WIP:
Probably I coded it in GUI(lots of reports to be made in my school which is college)

Fate Weave:
Age Molt:

Will add doc soon.
Woah, that's... surprising & impressive. I had no idea such complex interactions could be done with GUI as "simple" as that (I don't mean to devalue your work, of course). I would've thought time-lapse stuff would've been leaky & problematic, if not impossible, in pure GUI. Crazy.

Almia said:
Yep those are short codes. Besides, Melee heroes doesn't have to be complex, it just needs simplicity and the most important is : it's contribution to the team.
That's exactly right. Heroes in Wc3, while certainly important and meant to embody some level of micromanagement, are still only a part of the whole; they can't require too much clicking or thinking to operate well with an entire army.

Now Heroes do range the spectrum from "essentially figureheads" (i.e. the Tauren Chieftain, with 2 AoE DD's & 2 passives, essentially exists only to exist, tank, and deal damage) to "micro-intensive twitch-fests" (i.e. the Warden, with all 4 active abilities, each of which is situational & half of which have long tooltips (lots of effects)). One also notices that the early, RoC-era heroes tend to be a lot simpler (TC, Paladin, MK, Far Seer, PotM, etc) with few complicated standouts... While RoC introduced (almost unilaterally) more complex Heroes: both Racially (Blood Mage & Warden are great examples; Crypt Lord, while single-minded in Role (i.e. TAAAAANK) has a bevy of abilities to accomplish it; Shadow Hunter isn't crazy complex, but with 4 activated abilities, each diverse...) and Neutrally (many of the Tavern Heroes are relatively complex (minus the Beastmaster, lawl)). In fact, the 'latest' additions (lol, 2004) of Tinker, Alchemist & Firelord are some of the most (relatively-)complex & AoS-style Heroes around.

Just goes to show that, while we are all making "Heroes to be put into Melee/Ladder/Standard Wc3", there is some variability in the idea. And while a Hero like the Tauren Chieftain or Mountain King would be perfectly fitting, useful & precedented... Let's be honest, it'd be rather boring, so many of us will incorporate at least a little extra complexity to our Heroes (if only for the purposes of the Contest).

But yeah, I agree. :p

~~

On another note, I don't know if you want to release your (WIP) map to the masses so early... You're free to do so, of course, but many of us are 'playing our cards close' to maintain the element of surprise. : )

Kingz said:
Might scrape my Primal Druid idea, cannot think of the last 2 abilities for the life of me.
Well I can't lie; one less contestant doing the same race (NE), same attribute (STR), and same class (Druid) would be good for me... But still, don't despair. : )

Off the top of my head, I would submit that, while interesting, many of your abilities are rather complex. See the above discussion with Almia. If you can't describe in one or two lines what it does, watch out (at the very least, there shouldn't be too many of them on your Hero). Now of course, there are exceptions (as I noted); Warden, Firelord, Blood Mage, Tinker, etc... So take the above with a grain of salt.

• The first & greatest concern should be the Role and Theme; you've already nailed both ("burly mega feral Bear Druid" and "up-front tanker & support-class", I believe), so then it's all about coming up with abilities that fit & emphasize both. Bonus points if you can create 2 natural "skill-trees" (ala an "Army Support" Paladin (Holy Light/Devotion Aura) or a "Self-Support" Paladin (Divine Shield/Devotion Aura); an "Assassin" Warden (Shadow Strike/Blink) or a "Mobile DD Warrior" Warden (Fan of Knives/Blink)).
  • Important also is differentiating it from the Keeper of the Grove, the up-to-this-point "go-to" Night Elf Hero for "Druidic-type magicks". So I would avoid Treants, Roots, etc; perhaps even Flora in general (stick to Fauna & Ferocity (lol, sounds like a video game company)).
  • That being said, since you're essentially going with a "Hero-ized" version of the Druid of the Claw (an idea I'm totally a fan of; don't think I use that term disparagingly :p), it's always a good/cool idea to base some abilities off of the attributes & abilities of the base unit (similar to Banshee: Possession -> Dark Ranger: Charm... Tauren: Pulverize -> Tauren Chieftain: Warstomp... Huntress: Sentry Owl -> PotM: Owl Scout... etc). Since the original guy had Rejuvenation (HoT, emphasized long-term, important-unit Healing), Roar (AoE damage buff, emphasized groups & attacking to deal damage), and Mark of the Claw (morph -> bear with better attack stats & survivability but reduced spellcraft)... Well, that's not a bad place to start.
  • Consider, perhaps, a mix between the Crypt Lord (massive tank who tanks with tanky abilities, TANK TANK TANK) & the... Ah dannae. Beastmaster (summon support)? Dreadlord (caster support)? Shadow Hunter (healing & disable support)? Paladin (healing & buff support)? Take your pick.
  • A good Passive is a good place to start; assuming this guy doesn't have too much INT (though maybe he should), the player will want an 'easy out' option: perhaps "Rending Claws" or "Primal Ferocity" or something, with a Chance-On-Attack 'bleed' effect or psuedo-Stunning effect (<- the latter is good for Tanking; disable his immediate enemy). Alternatively a "thick bear skin"-type ability, some kind of "Spiked Carapace"-style defensive self-buff, or a "Bite the Hand that Feeds You"-style "Counterattack"...
  • Past that, perhaps a mix between "Roar" & "Rejuvenation" (to make room for something else, & to be creative); a medium/large AoE buff that increases HP regen & attack (speed? damage?)? Something. Then again, emphasizing that "long-term/important target Healing", perhaps a "Self-Rejuvenation" with additional Mana Regeneration?... OH YEAH, "Hibernate!" Makes him a bit more Defensive than Offensive, but having him hunker down to a restful Druidic "Sleep" to regain crazy HP/MP is totally fitting. (Also fits Bears in general).
  • Past that, I know it may sound dumb/obvious/too simple, but some kind of souped-up "Bear-form" morph could be really cool; just imagine a ferocious DIRE BEAR busting outta that puny Night Elf frame to tear up some foes... Could be temporary (i.e. Metamorphosis... Eww, maybe not) to emphasize the fleeting nature & strength of the spell (spell immunity? AoE splash damage? self-buff Frenzy? etc).
  • Ooh, a Hero-version of "Frenzy" wouldn't be too far amiss... :p Or perhaps, considering more "Bear-ish" aspects, like Climbing, Running, Sniffing, and Pic-a-nic Basket Stealing. :p Also, "Beastmaster" soundset FTW. xD
  • //EDIT// - On a somewhat separate note, one thing to realize is that this Hero isn't being created 'in a vacuum'; rather, we must consider the effect on the race as a whole. "No duh", you & I would say, but I've already neglected to consider that; re-creating Roar & Rejuvenation as I have. Consider instead the power of Synergy (vs. Comboes, like the Breath of Fire/Drunken Haze thing; Comboes are cool, but a little heavy-handed). Perhaps since one would already have DotC's Roaring to give boosted damage, perhaps the Primal Druid (to synergize with that) would have some kind of self/AoE-buff that would increase attack speed (good on it's own, but devastating in conjunction with regular Roar). Or since your DotC's will be Rejuvenating, consider a spell that gives a (buffed?) ally greater Movespeed & Defense (thus allowing them to benefit even more from Rejuvenation). A simple "+Attack speed" Aura, for those raging Bear-form Druids?
    And what about other units (like Direfury pointed out); perhaps an "Amplify Damage" spell which increases magical/physical damage on the target (good for focus-firing from the guys the Primal Druid is tanking for)... Or a melee-range Disable, to allow more Bears/Mountain Giants/etc to group up on a target?

Anyway, those are just some thoughts. I think your design so far is interesting... This is just how I would approach it, given your parameters. Good luck!

Kazeon

Hosted Project: EC
Level 33
My Hero's first performance. hohoho...
melee.jpg
(Guess am I Undead or Night Elf? :grin:)

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Right! and thanks :)

Anyway, are we allowed to ask for users' opinions about our Heroes? (Is it too imbalanced or what...)

Um, of course?... Why else would we have the thread & the WIPs?

Also, I like the idea of a Hero-Banshee for the Undead (surprising lack of "ghosts" in the Undead race, personally)... But you appear to have filled her with Ice/Frost-type abilities. Sure, it fits for "Ghosts" and "(Blizzard's) Undead", but the UD already have a Hero chock-full of frost-spells (i.e. the Lich; 2/4), so bleh. Mix it up, perhaps?

Woah, that's... surprising & impressive. I had no idea such complex interactions could be done with GUI as "simple" as that (I don't mean to devalue your work, of course). I would've thought time-lapse stuff would've been leaky & problematic, if not impossible, in pure GUI. Crazy.

That's exactly right. Heroes in Wc3, while certainly important and meant to embody some level of micromanagement, are still only a part of the whole; they can't require too much clicking or thinking to operate well with an entire army.

Now Heroes do range the spectrum from "essentially figureheads" (i.e. the Tauren Chieftain, with 2 AoE DD's & 2 passives, essentially exists only to exist, tank, and deal damage) to "micro-intensive twitch-fests" (i.e. the Warden, with all 4 active abilities, each of which is situational & half of which have long tooltips (lots of effects)). One also notices that the early, RoC-era heroes tend to be a lot simpler (TC, Paladin, MK, Far Seer, PotM, etc) with few complicated standouts... While RoC introduced (almost unilaterally) more complex Heroes: both Racially (Blood Mage & Warden are great examples; Crypt Lord, while single-minded in Role (i.e. TAAAAANK) has a bevy of abilities to accomplish it; Shadow Hunter isn't crazy complex, but with 4 activated abilities, each diverse...) and Neutrally (many of the Tavern Heroes are relatively complex (minus the Beastmaster, lawl)). In fact, the 'latest' additions (lol, 2004) of Tinker, Alchemist & Firelord are some of the most (relatively-)complex & AoS-style Heroes around.

Just goes to show that, while we are all making "Heroes to be put into Melee/Ladder/Standard Wc3", there is some variability in the idea. And while a Hero like the Tauren Chieftain or Mountain King would be perfectly fitting, useful & precedented... Let's be honest, it'd be rather boring, so many of us will incorporate at least a little extra complexity to our Heroes (if only for the purposes of the Contest).

But yeah, I agree. :p

Thanky :D

Yup, duration extensions. Kudos for having the motivation to do this.
Yep... Lots of Loops

Kazeon

Level 33
Um, of course?... Why else would we have the thread & the WIPs?

Also, I like the idea of a Hero-Banshee for the Undead (surprising lack of "ghosts" in the Undead race, personally)... But you appear to have filled her with Ice/Frost-type abilities. Sure, it fits for "Ghosts" and "(Blizzard's) Undead", but the UD already have a Hero chock-full of frost-spells (i.e. the Lich; 2/4), so bleh. Mix it up, perhaps?

It has 3/4 ice magics actually. And her 3rd ability is not completely an ice spell. It's a blink, with freeze. :p

Also at first, I made this Hero to replace that Lich :( I thought our heroes will replace one hero's position in the altar. And I missed this line:
You are to create the fifth hero for that race
:(

But, don't worry. Even with 3/4 slowing abilities, she is still quite weak.

Why not take inspiration from the D2 Necromancers' curses? Add in an ability that confuses an enemy unit; forces them to attack an ally.
I don't play D2 :( It's a good idea but I don't know which ability I must replace with. Her first 3 abilities are corresponding each others. And her ultimate is just right (revives some corpses as muntant). Give me a time.

Thanks for suggestions!

Kazeon

Level 33
Having another frost magic user won't give many creativity points, that's the biggest issue that has been raised so far. Maybe take a look at the Destroyer, Necromancer and Banshee units, study their abilities, and try to figure out a way to customize your Hero, make their kit unique; different from the other Undead heroes.

Meaby you haven't heard about my Hero's story. She is Sylvanas Windrunner herself, the Dark Ranger, the Dark Lady, the Banshee Queen. If you have read about Forsaken faction, yes, she is their queen. And she's adept at ice thingies, not sure though.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Direfury speaks truth on all counts.

Dalvengyr said:
Meaby you haven't heard about my Hero's story. She is Sylvanas Windrunner herself, the Dark Ranger, the Dark Lady, the Banshee Queen. And she's adept at ice thingies, not sure though.
Well that's two problems right there. #1, Sylvanas didn't use Ice Magicks (at least, not much beyond the generic "chill of the grave" or something); that was all Liches & stuff. She had Ghost/Curse/-style magicks (or at least, I think she should)... #2, If this is the Sylvanas, that means there's only 1 of her... And Warcraft Heroes are most importantly "repeatable". i.e. Paladins & Archmages, Death Knights & Liches; they are powerful & rare, but their factions (HU/UD) can field multiples of them (thus allowing up to 12 separate Human players to each get a (different) Paladin).

So stick with "super-Banshee-hero"... Heck, you could even steal the (great) name of "Banshee Queen" (or "Wraith Lord" or "Wraith Queen" or "Phantasm" or whatever), because it's then done more as "inspiration" rather than "direct copying"... But don't claim that it's the one-and-only Windrunner.

Kazeon

Level 33
Woops, maybe I should submit this Hero at another Hero Contest, I completely forgot about the melee concept :p Blizzard didn't tell what she can actually do, what's her abilities, etc. I got confused, but since the Windrunner has Cold Arrow ability, then I thought she's good at ice thingy. It's good that I didn't add passive frost attack to her :p

Am I need to remake everything? :( It's been 1200 lines of code lol

EDIT:
Remaking..... \o/ (cz I have a bunch of ideas here :grin:) Second thought, no

Last edited:
Messed around this evening and worked on a Arch-Druid hero concept (hero version of druids).

It's still kinda buggy, and the legality of submitting it would need to be assessed because it currently runs on the Heaven's Fall v2 script library imported into the map (which is primarily Vexorian's Caster System and Spell Template System).

So, to reiterate, this attachment is totally just a WIP.

Attachments

• THW.HC7.Archdruid.w3x
    399.8 KB · Views: 53

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Woops, maybe I should submit this Hero at another Hero Contest, I completely forgot about the melee concept :p Blizzard didn't tell what she can actually do, what's her abilities, etc. I got confused, but since the Windrunner has Cold Arrow ability, then I thought she's good at ice thingy. It's good that I didn't add passive frost attack to her :p

Am I need to remake everything? :( It's been 1200 lines of code lol

EDIT:
Remaking..... \o/ (cz I have a bunch of ideas here :grin:) Second thought, no
Do what you want... But this Hero is fully submittable to this Contest. Just change it so it's a "one-of-many" type of Hero; give her a bunch a proper names that sound cool, & if you have any "lore" or "descriptions" on her spells or the map, change them. Like I said, a "super-Banshee Ghost Hero" is pretty cool.

Personally, I'd also consider reworking the spells (heck, even just change the icons & tooltips; you may not even have to change (many/all) the effects of the spells), because a bunch of Frost Spells on a (pseudo-)Caster UD Hero, like we said, is a little overdone.

Messed around this evening and worked on a Arch-Druid hero concept (hero version of druids).

It's still kinda buggy, and the legality of submitting it would need to be assessed because it currently runs on the Heaven's Fall v2 script library imported into the map (which is primarily Vexorian's Caster System and Spell Template System).

So, to reiterate, this attachment is totally just a WIP.
Awwwwww crap.

That's what I get for "playing my cards close"... Someone up & does the EXACT Hero I'm doing. :<

We even spelled the name the same way. With any luck we used the same model... Welp, looks like I gotta do a rework. x/

Oh, right. I think I will upload my Hero again (in the melee map)

There is demo mode there so don't worry
Feel free to upload here, but remember the actual "Submission" process (outlined on the First Post in the Rules: Pastebin & PM).

Also, I hope by "demo mode" you mean "easy way to test out the Hero".

Awwwwww crap.

That's what I get for "playing my cards close"... Someone up & does the EXACT Hero I'm doing. :<

We even spelled the name the same way. With any luck we used the same model... Welp, looks like I gotta do a rework. x/

My hero was just the mess-around fun of a single evening, and I don't think it should be reason for you to have to change what you were doing. Seeing this, I could probably just make another hero for a different race or something.

Contest rules question:

Thinking about this contest, I made some hero glow models and tried sticking them on things. I'm sure this has already been done, but my question is how many different hero glow models we might be allowed to import for one entry. It says in the rules "A custom "Hero Glow" model (Chest, Weapon, etc) for use in making Unit models into better-fitting Hero models." But, what if we wanted to use 2 models?

For example, all of the glowing units in the attached pictures were accomplished with only 2 models per unit. Almost every single unit has the exact same glow ability, except for 3 or so that have a modified version with a bigger glow.

Attachments

• Hero_Glow.png
    Hero_Glow.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 104
  • Hero_glow2.png
    Hero_glow2.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 122
Status
Not open for further replies.