• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hero Contest #7 - Classic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 25
It would be great if someone makes a strength NE hero because they don't have any! I hope this Wild Master is strength.

It is! That's what I'm thinking. Also, Kyrbi0, maybe we can change the portrait angle so It can be different than the original model, that's not changing the model physically anyway, just asking, since heroes that will have the same portraits(and model, just the texture is different haha) as the buildings will be weird.

Ok, two more "WiPs" One showing the Grand Marshall's second ability which buffs allies and a little action shot.

Attachments

• Cry Havoc Ability.png
    Cry Havoc Ability.png
    161.2 KB · Views: 117
  • Screen shot 2014-09-06 at 12.50.24.png
    Screen shot 2014-09-06 at 12.50.24.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 146
Level 30
I'll add some of my ideas, might join in and complete mine earlier.

stormreaver.gif

I'll use this guy

I'll name him Strom Thunderstare (based from the word "Storm")

He'll join in the Orc race as a support/dps or dps/support. I'll be using mostly Object Editor only and just a few triggers. :thumbs_up:

Level 25
Wouldn't that make him a Warrior-Healer?
Druids tend to lean more towards healing, just saying.

Druid of the Claw is a heavy melee unit for NE, with some healing properties.
My idea is that a Primal Druid focuses on being a tanky unit which does offer a form of rejuvenation properties but not in the usual way.

Anyway WIP of the first ability:

Primal Fury

Enter an enraged state inflicting a penalty to health regeneration while providing increased attack speed and life steal. Can be recast resulting in life steal and health regeneration penalties to stack up to 3 times.

Level 1 - Causes this unit to attack 20% faster and inflicts a -2 hp regeneration penalty but gives a 10% life leech.
Level 2 - Causes this unit to attack 30% faster and inflicts a -3 hp regeneration penalty but gives a 15% life leech.
Level 3 - Causes this unit to attack 40% faster and inflicts a -4 hp regeneration penalty but gives a 20% life leech.

So with 3 stacks of level 3 primal fury the Druid would attack 40% faster with a -12 hp/second penalty to his regeneration with a 60% life leech.
Might tune in the numbers but i am kinda going with the idea that this Druid's healing abilities require you to somehow damage your enemies, making him a tank that needs to constantly attack in order to rejuvenate himself opposed to just slapping him with armor/life regen/heal.
As in the druid is more in contact with a beastly behavior, thus the Primal part.

I think he meant that melee map heroes have more than one name. Anyways I think I'll settle with a Watcher, less icon worries.

Q - Sentinel
Sends an owl towards a target location, applying a DoT to enemies in the area (95/150/205 over 3 seconds) and revealing them.

W - Moonshard
Sends two bolts on the edge of a cone (farther aims reduce cone width), slowing enemies hit by 20/25/30% for 3 seconds and dealing 80/135/190.

E - Bouncing Glaive
Attacks will bounce back at the High Watcher's position when they starting bouncing. If she catches them, she gains 30/45/60% attack speed for 3 seconds.

R - ?

Level 25
What do you mean by just one name? I just followed every Warcraft 3 hero's standard proper names and give it my own, also its a ranged.

Well, In all that can ask that, It's you! Nah, a melee map is a map made with just fiddling with some terrains and creeps and let the races build and fight blabla, and yes, it needs to have more than one. Interesting hero anyway.

@A Void, Interesting...

What do you mean by just one name? I just followed every Warcraft 3 hero's standard proper names and give it my own, also its a ranged.

You said his name was Strom Thunderstare, that's one name most heroes have 11-13 with the TFT heroes having 9.

Also when I said melee I meant melee map hero not that he was melee.

Lol, you noticed that? I deleted it immediately after posting.

It appeared on my CP twice. :D

OT: I can't think of an ultimate for my High Watcher, I guess I'll spend 90% of remaining contest time thinking about it. :<

Changes

Q - Wayward Assault
Sends an owl towards a target location, dealing 90/145/200 damage over 3 seconds to the first enemy it hits and revealing it. The High Watcher moves faster when facing it.

Level 21
Time to show some further WIPs on my Fire Knight
Proper names so far:-

- Blazinor - Flamewarth
- Grothal - Hellfire
- Searion - Magthor
- Fieros

Abilities:-

Cross Fire
Creates bursting flames in the shape of a cross, dealing 60/110/170 damage to all enemy units within them.

Hell Strikes
Conjures 4 flame strikes in front of the Fire Knight, each dealing 10/20/30 damage per second for 2 seconds and reducing movement speed by 60% for 3 seconds. Units in the remaining fire will take an extra 5/10/15 damage per second.

Fire Barrier
Creates a wall of fire in front of the Fire Knight, burning enemy units for 10/15/20 damage, reducing their attack speed by 10%/20%/30% and lighting them on fire, taking an additional 5/10/15 damage per second for 5 seconds.

Infernal Chaos
Work in Progress here... but it will be related to stun or armor reduction or anything else I can think of.

I've come up with a new ultimate.
The name'll remain "Polymastery", however, the Arcanist will summon a single polymorphed sheep, who will fall to the ground, becoming bloated with arcane energy. All enemy units near the sheep when it hits the ground will be briefly polymorphed.

After a brief delay, the massive sheep will explode.

I just need to figure out how I'd make it work now; I'm thinking that I can do it with a dummy unit and buff detection.

Kazeon

Hosted Project: EC
Level 33
The name'll remain "Polymastery", however, the Arcanist will summon a single polymorphed sheep, who will fall to the ground, becoming bloated with arcane energy. All enemy units near the sheep when it hits the ground will be briefly polymorphed.

Doesn't make sense, do you mean all polymorphed units got exploded and die? You said there is only one falling sheep. :/

koboldgeomancer.gif

Hero Name: Kobold Geomancer
Abilities: Slow, Abolish Magic, Reflection, Shape-Shift.

koboldgeomancer.gif

Slow - Slows targeted unit.
Abolish Magic - deals damage to summoned units and dispels magic.
Reflection Image - creates a reflection aka "illusion" of the targeted unit. Similar to the Mirror Image spell.
Shape-Shift (Ultimate) - Shape-Shifts your hero into the targeted unit/hero for 1 minute.

In which Race shall tha Kobold be? :eek:

It will be in the Tavern, since the map (4)TurtleRock.w3x has tavern I decided that my hero will be able to be summoned from it.. a Neutral hero.

I hope.. tavern heroes are allowed..

you may want to give your hero a new title.

I don't think so.

With good planning & execution, the end result will be worthy of taking a spot in the Faction Altars!

You may choose to create a hero for any of the primary Factions (i.e. Alliance, Horde, Scourge, and Sentinels).
Main post. But getting the tavern in will actually make the idea range broader. (Nagaaaa)

Kazeon

Hosted Project: EC
Level 33
I think the rule is clear enough. Just try to follow it :)
You may choose to create a hero for any of the primary Factions (i.e. Alliance, Horde, Scourge, and Sentinels). You are to create the fifth hero for that race, including skills fitting of that hero and that race. You will need to consider how that hero balances with the other heroes in the race and how it impacts the metagame of melee as a whole. It might sound scary, but with solid work and design you can pull through with a winner!
Your hero must be a hero for one of the four melee factions' altars. (Human, Orc, Undead, Night Elf)

Cokemonkey11

Spell Reviewer
Level 29
I have two working (but incomplete) spells now. Attached is my WIP.

R6mAbvk.jpg
Blessed Ranger: The Blessed Ranger is thematically a kind
of ranged cleric; she is a battle hero with inherent supportive
abilities, especially related to healing allies.

In implementation, the blessed ranger is actually a very
combat-centric hero, and her ability to heal her allies is heavily
reliant on her ability to stick to enemy heroes and lay down
damage. Featuring agility as a primary stat, abilities that boost
attack rate and damage, and a reset mechanic, the Blessed
Ranger is set to provide a high-action, micro-heavy play-style.
vCXJBhJ.jpg
Arcane Arrows: When activated, the next basic attack deals
5/10/15 + 2/2.5/3% of the target's maximum health bonus
damage. If the target is a hero, another arcane arrow is
immediately readied, and the Blessed Archer restores 15/20/25
mana.

Lasts 7 seconds.
AdMa6iP.jpg
Forrestwalk: Passively grants 8/12/16 bonus agility while
within 500 of a live tree. Additionally, Forrestwalk provides
vision over trees and cliffs.
PzVCQc0.jpg
Holy Sigil: Description not yet revealed
PzVCQc0.jpg
Pure Dexterity: Description not yet revealed
[TD]
[TD]
[TD]

Attachments

• THW.HC7.BlessedRanger.w3x
    191.5 KB · Views: 62
Level 25
mana.

Lasts 7 seconds.

Seems a bit too weak for creep camps and generally not worth using at all.
More suited for an AoS than melee imo since it seems like a dueling skill.
Maybe rework it to % of missing health and ready an arrow if it kills the unit? Makes it better for clearing camps as an execution skill.

Seems a bit overpowered (the vision). Also agility provides a ton of attack speed / armor so maybe rework it to flat damage instead?
It's basically a wall hack single point wonder skill, Fog of War is a big thing in melee, vision is everything. This skill makes every other hero fade in existence.

Cokemonkey11

Spell Reviewer
Level 29
Seems a bit too weak for creep camps and generally not worth using at all.
More suited for an AoS than melee imo since it seems like a dueling skill.
Maybe rework it to % of missing health and ready an arrow if it kills the unit? Makes it better for clearing camps as an execution skill.

It has a fairly low mana cost and a short cooldown, and you're right, it is a dueling skill. Dueling heroes exist in wc3 as well. I'm considering making the bonus proc on creeps above level 5 as well.

Seems a bit overpowered (the vision). Also agility provides a ton of attack speed / armor so maybe rework it to flat damage instead?
It's basically a wall hack single point wonder skill, Fog of War is a big thing in melee, vision is everything. This skill makes every other hero fade in existence.

The vision is essentially just a flying unit (dummy) locked at the position of the ranger. I can tweak the dummy's vision radius to maintain balance.

I may remove the agility, if only to replace it with attack speed. That part is very important as it synergizes with Arcane Arrows.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
It is! That's what I'm thinking. Also, Kyrbi0, maybe we can change the portrait angle so It can be different than the original model, that's not changing the model physically anyway, just asking, since heroes that will have the same portraits(and model, just the texture is different haha) as the buildings will be weird.
Sorry, man. Changing the Portrait model would be just like changing the actual model; requiring a re-import. Camera angle isn't that bad, right? : )

I'll add some of my ideas, might join in and complete mine earlier.

stormreaver.gif

I'll use this guy

I'll name him Strom Thunderstare (based from the word "Storm")

He'll join in the Orc race as a support/dps or dps/support. I'll be using mostly Object Editor only and just a few triggers. :thumbs_up:
Ah good! Glad to see someone using that great campaign model!

My idea is exactly this, and so far is called Primal Druid.
Aw shucks, that's no good. That's what I'm (basically) doing too. Ah well, we'll have to compare. : )

I think he meant that melee map heroes have more than one name. Anyways I think I'll settle with a Watcher, less icon worries.

Q - Sentinel
Sends an owl towards a target location, applying a DoT to enemies in the area (95/150/205 over 3 seconds) and revealing them.

W - Moonshard
Sends two bolts on the edge of a cone (farther aims reduce cone width), slowing enemies hit by 20/25/30% for 3 seconds and dealing 80/135/190.

E - Bouncing Glaive
Attacks will bounce back at the High Watcher's position when they starting bouncing. If she catches them, she gains 30/45/60% attack speed for 3 seconds.

R - ?
I like it so far (& that you are (ostensibly) going with the neat campaign "Runner" model)... But how in the word does a flying owl deal DoT?? :p

Ok, I am changing my hero, the reason is that this contest requires everything to be from in-game resources. Since my Ranger used too many models extracted from beta Wc3 it was just not acceptable. My new hero will be involved in illusions and shape-shifting, it will use most of the in-game resources.
Hopefully it uses only in-game resources (aside from what is expressly allowed), as that is the point of this Contest. :<

That being said, don't feel like you have to change entirely. The (Sylvanas) Ranger model is a great model to go with (despite the fact that someone else is too).

I've come up with a new ultimate.

I just need to figure out how I'd make it work now; I'm thinking that I can do it with a dummy unit and buff detection.
Bwahaha. Sounds ridiculous & diabolical.

I'd say a simple "unit is summoned - summoned unit = giant sheep - pick every unit in AoE around summoned unit: create dummy caster, order to cast Polymorph" trigger would work, right? The sheep can be invincible but have negative HP regen so it "dies" (according to your time-table (wait, scratch that; it's a summon so it can just die by it's timer)), and then a simple passive "AoE damage upon death" ability will deal the damage.

It will be in the Tavern, since the map (4)TurtleRock.w3x has tavern I decided that my hero will be able to be summoned from it.. a Neutral hero.

I hope.. tavern heroes are allowed..
Please refer to some of the other poster's answers. This Contest is entirely and specifically not a Tavern-hero Contest; those are great & I hope to run one soon/after this, but this is a "Faction/Racial/Altar" Hero Contest. Kinda says it in bold, big, colored font.

Please, just humor us. Read the main post at least once or twice & then get started. If anything in the first post is unclear feel free to ask... But you are asking question after question that is directly answered by the Contest Rules.

I have two working (but incomplete) spells now. Attached is my WIP.

R6mAbvk.jpg
Blessed Ranger: The Blessed Ranger is thematically a kind
of ranged cleric; she is a battle hero with inherent supportive
abilities, especially related to healing allies.

In implementation, the blessed ranger is actually a very
combat-centric hero, and her ability to heal her allies is heavily
reliant on her ability to stick to enemy heroes and lay down
damage. Featuring agility as a primary stat, abilities that boost
attack rate and damage, and a reset mechanic, the Blessed
Ranger is set to provide a high-action, micro-heavy play-style.
vCXJBhJ.jpg
mana.

Lasts 7 seconds.
AdMa6iP.jpg
PzVCQc0.jpg
Holy Sigil: Description not yet revealed
PzVCQc0.jpg
Pure Dexterity: Description not yet revealed
[TD]
[TD]
[TD]
I may not love your abilities (Themes, mainly; as aforementioned); but I love the time & thought you've put into the Role & Theme of your hero in general.

(And DANGIT! You did what I was hoping to do; put up "partial WIPs" to keep people interested (with "question-mark" icons & everything)!! Curse you. :p)

Would you just care to read the main post one time god damn it.
Thank you. : )

Level 25
Soo...Here's a screenshot of what I wanted to be my hero....

Purple.jpg

And here's his first spell:

Nature's Children(will be renamed)-Roots himself to the ground for 30 seconds, creating several treants to attack your enemies that lasts for 30 seconds, duh? and if the hero move, they will dissapear. Suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.