• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hero Contest #7 - Classic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 24
Here's my WIP (sorta) for the Undead faction.

Nathrezim Agent

General Information

Abilities

202905-albums7580-picture88501.png
202905-albums7580-picture88500.jpg
The Nathrezim Agent is a much needed agility-based, short-ranged hero. The Undead faction has three strength-based tanky heroes, which is far too boring in my opinion. Also, the original Dreadlord is hardly to never used in any game, solely on the fact that he just gets overshadowed by all the better options.

For the Nathrezim Agent, I wanted to make a unique and lore-integrating stand on the hero. The Nathrezim are known for their tricky, deception, and their capabilities with teleportation - none of which were presented with the vanilla Dreadlord. These demons are also bound by their own laws to fight as one; thus should have some sort of bond in the battlefield.

I believe that this hero feel fit in fairly well with the rest of the Undead faction. He brings forth the aspects that no other hero there has. His play style can be either solo, commanding, or a dual-role with his brethren. The hero may be solo, like the main role of Undead, this hero is self sustaining; he may remain invisible while still feeding upon the enemies mana. As a commander, he may summon forth an entire army across the enemy base; or use it for a hasty escape. And finally, as a dual-hero, the Agent is made specifically for fighting along side Dreadlords. He has two abilities that work specifically designed to increase the Dreadlord's offensive capabilities. Maybe now the Dreadlord won't be so outrageously underused.

Affiliation: Burning Legion
Role: Support/Attacker
Race: Nathrezim

Strength = 16 + 1.9 Agility = 20 + 2.6(Primary)Intelligence = 16 + 1.5

Movement Speed: 300
Attack Range: 350Attack Cooldown: 2.0 s

202905-albums7580-picture88503.png

Ability Name: Mind War
Ability description
Causes trickery in the mind of enemies in the an area, making them unable to attack for a short time.
LevelDuration Cooldown Mana Cost Range Area of Effect Allowed Targets Effect

6 s15 s75900150Air, Ground, Organic, EnemyPrevents Attacks

9 s15 s75900200Air, Ground, Organic, EnemyPrevents Attacks

12 s15 s75900250Air, Ground, Organic, EnemyPrevents Attacks

202905-albums7580-picture88504.gif

Ability Name: Deceive
Ability description
Infuses the Agent with layers of darkness, making the Agent invisible even when attacking or casting spells. Nearby Dreadlord and the Agent gain additional attack rate while ability is active. Drains mana until deactivated.

N/AToggle25, -10 per sN/A900Self, player's DreadlordShade, +10% attack rate

N/AToggle25, -10 per sN/A900Self, player's DreadlordShade, +20% attack rate

N/AToggle25, -10 per sN/A900Self, player's DreadlordShade, +30% attack rate

202905-albums7580-picture88502.png

Ability Name: Feeding
Ability description
The Agent's vampiric magics drain the mana from enemies he attack, replenishing his own in the process. Nearby Dreadlord gains half as much mana.

N/AN/AN/AN/A900Self, Player's DreadlordDrains 8 mana per strike, nearby Dreadlord receives 4 mana

N/AN/AN/AN/A900Self, Player's DreadlordDrains 12 mana per strike, nearby Dreadlord receives 6 mana

N/AN/AN/AN/A900Self, Player's DreadlordDrains 15 mana per strike, nearby Dreadlord receives 7 mana

202905-albums7580-picture88505.jpg

Ability Name: Summoning (Ultimate)
Ability description
Convene player-units in an area, teleporting them to the current location of the Agent. Summons 3 random unit's in the area to every 3 seconds. Each summons group arrives at the Agent's current location, not the point where it was casted. Lasts for 4 summons.

Duration Cooldown Mana Cost Range Area of Effect Allowed Targets Effect

4 summons120175Infinite500Air, Ground, Player UnitsTeleports 3 player units from a select location to the Nathrezim Agent every 3 seconds

Attachments

• THW.HC7.Wa666r.w3x
    174.7 KB · Views: 56
Last edited by a moderator:

Kazeon

Hosted Project: EC
Level 33
Here's my WIP (sorta) for the Undead faction.

Nathrezim Agent

General Information

Abilities

202905-albums7580-picture88501.png
202905-albums7580-picture88500.jpg
The Nathrezim Agent is a much needed agility-based, short-ranged hero. The Undead faction has three strength-based tanky heroes, which is far too boring in my opinion. Also, the original Dreadlord is hardly to never used in any game, solely on the fact that he just gets overshadowed by all the better options.

For the Nathrezim Agent, I wanted to make a unique and lore-integrating stand on the hero. The Nathrezim are known for their tricky, deception, and their capabilities with teleportation - none of which were presented with the vanilla Dreadlord. These demons are also bound by their own laws to fight as one; thus should have some sort of bond in the battlefield.

I believe that this hero feel fit in fairly well with the rest of the Undead faction. He brings forth the aspects that no other hero there has. His play style can be either solo, commanding, or a dual-role with his brethren. The hero may be solo, like the main role of Undead, this hero is self sustaining; he may remain invisible while still feeding upon the enemies mana. As a commander, he may summon forth an entire army across the enemy base; or use it for a hasty escape. And finally, as a dual-hero, the Agent is made specifically for fighting along side Dreadlords. He has two abilities that work specifically designed to increase the Dreadlord's offensive capabilities. Maybe now the Dreadlord won't be so outrageously underused.

Affiliation: Burning Legion
Role: Support/Attacker
Race: Nathrezim

Strength = 16 + 1.9 Agility = 20 + 2.6(Primary)Intelligence = 16 + 1.5

Movement Speed: 300
Attack Range: 350Attack Cooldown: 2.0 s

202905-albums7580-picture88503.png

Ability Name: Mind War
Ability description
Causes trickery in the mind of enemies in the an area, making them unable to attack for a short time.

6 s15 s75900150Air, Ground, Organic, EnemyPrevents Attacks

9 s15 s75900200Air, Ground, Organic, EnemyPrevents Attacks

12 s15 s75900250Air, Ground, Organic, EnemyPrevents Attacks

202905-albums7580-picture88504.gif

Ability Name: Deceive
Ability description
Infuses the Agent with layers of darkness, making the Agent invisible even when attacking or casting spells. Nearby Dreadlord and the Agent gain additional attack rate while ability is active. Drains mana until deactivated.

N/AToggle25, -10 per sN/A900Self, player's DreadlordShade, +10% attack rate

N/AToggle25, -10 per sN/A900Self, player's DreadlordShade, +20% attack rate

N/AToggle25, -10 per sN/A900Self, player's DreadlordShade, +30% attack rate

202905-albums7580-picture88502.png

Ability Name: Feeding
Ability description
The Agent's vampiric magics drain the mana from enemies he attack, replenishing his own in the process. Nearby Dreadlord gains half as much mana.

N/AN/AN/AN/A900Self, Player's DreadlordDrains 8 mana per strike, nearby Dreadlord receives 4 mana

N/AN/AN/AN/A900Self, Player's DreadlordDrains 12 mana per strike, nearby Dreadlord receives 6 mana

N/AN/AN/AN/A900Self, Player's DreadlordDrains 15 mana per strike, nearby Dreadlord receives 7 mana

202905-albums7580-picture88505.jpg

Ability Name: Summoning (Ultimate)
Ability description
Convene player-units in an area, teleporting them to the current location of the Agent. Summons 3 random unit's in the area to every 3 seconds. Each summons group arrives at the Agent's current location, not the point where it was casted. Lasts for 4 summons.

Duration Cooldown Mana Cost Range Area of Effect Allowed Targets Effect

4 summons120175Infinite500Air, Ground, Player UnitsTeleports 3 player units from a select location to the Nathrezim Agent every 3 seconds

:fp:You should make it cool or I will kill you

Anyway, my Hero's name is Wind Tempest (Proper name: Auorax). It's a night elf Hero which will be replacing Hero Warden. She's a unique ranged Hero with short attack range. Exceptional at agility, has the most agility than the other wc3 Heroes. Has a fast attack rate and high armor, but low at mana and health point. Also have a slightly lower movespeed than the other Heroes. Quite weak at beggining (lv 1).

The first ability I have been working on is her ultimate ability called Hurricane, something like cyclone. And you know what cyclone do.

Haven't been thinking about the other abilities.

Level 14
Aw nonsense! There are plenty of good ideas floating around in the MPQs! In fact, I hope to be writing up a list of some of the better un-used Hero/Unit models up for the 2nd post to help people get ideas.

Besides, users shouldn't be making Hero ideas solely on the basis of custom resources... If the Hero leans too heavily on the aesthetics/art/presentation, that becomes a crutch. Good Hero Design can stand up even with no art.

I didn't say there were no more possibilities, there just aren't any that I'm inspired to make.

My idea does not require the particular models (nor the edited icons from the game for passive ability & hero score-screen icons) to work the way I intend it two - the hero filled out a role I felt the Undead needed to allow for non-hero nuking strategies.

I required the custom models & icons because of my own standards (needs to look its part).

It also doesn't help that I had already started working on it prior to realizing the contest was missing the start date (two abilities roughly framed, missing the trigger-enhanced abilities still)...

//\\==//\\

Level 21
Nerfing time!
I found out that my two skills combined together could destroy an entire army! It would be a disaster so I weakened those spells.
Cross fire damage is now 50/100/150 instead of 80/130/200 as the damage cannot be avoided in most cases
The second skills has been set to 15/25/35 major damage instead of 20/35/50
Now, it's time to work on the third skill and ultimate.

Level 6
My Hero. Undead.

Reincarnated Ghoul [Ghoul Model] [Attack Damage Carry] [Agility]

1st Ability - Flesh Consume [Passive]

- Heals hp for every 8/12/18% of the damage done to enemy units.

2nd Ability - Deadly Claws

- Each attack has a 10% chance to deal 10/30/50 damage to the target.

3rd Ability - Ghoul Rage

- Each time the Ghoul kills a unit. It has a 5% chance to gain a temporary rage for 3/4/5 seconds. Has a 30% chance to Deadly Claws and +10% on Flesh Consume. If the Ghoul is on rage already this skill can't proc.

4th Ability - Smell Death

- Activate skills. For 20 seconds any unit who is below 15% will give Ghoul a 5% attackspeed and 20 damage. Up to 10/20/30 units can be detected. Cooldown 50 seconds. Consume 100 hp to activated. If Ghoul is below 100 hp this skill is free.

Tell me if this skill is OP..

My Hero. Undead.

Reincarnated Ghoul [Ghoul Model] [Attack Damage Carry] [Agility]

1st Ability - Flesh Consume [Passive]

- Heals hp for every 8/12/18% of the damage done to enemy units.

2nd Ability - Deadly Claws

- Each attack has a 10% chance to deal 10/30/50 damage to the target.

3rd Ability - Ghoul Rage

- Each time the Ghoul kills a unit. It has a 5% chance to gain a temporary rage for 3/4/5 seconds. Has a 30% chance to Deadly Claws and +10% on Flesh Consume. If the Ghoul is on rage already this skill can't proc.

4th Ability - Smell Death

- Activate skills. For 20 seconds any unit who is below 15% will give Ghoul a 5% attackspeed and 20 damage. Up to 10/20/30 units can be detected. Cooldown 50 seconds. Consume 100 hp to activated. If Ghoul is below 100 hp this skill is free.

Tell me if this skill is OP..

Is okay on paper. But in game the true balance will appear.

@Almia so excited for your return!

OT: I will go with a Troll instead of Necromancer.

^@Kyrbio, I think it's okay for contestants to use the same model right? As long as no one copied skills, etc?

OT: Troll Masterhunter

Q - Ensnare
Throws a net that ensnares enemies in a line.

W - On the Hunt
Increases attack speed and movement speed for a short time while also resetting the cooldown of Dual Axes.

E - Dual Axes
The Masterhunter throws axes two times with a cooldown.

R - Raging Axes
Each attack (resets either upon changing target or after a critical strike) deals more damage than the previous and has a better chance of being critical (2x), up to 100% bonus damage and 100% critical chance (10 attacks). (400% max damage)

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Wow, it's gotten quite busy! I'll have to respond to the rest of your questions later (though please, "Read the Rules"; nearly all of your questions are answered there).

Will be doing a Gilnean Pack Lord, Bandit lord? I think I'll use Garithos' but it's already taken.
That's totally cool. And don't worry about "things already being taken"; the rules say nothing about "dibs" (i.e. people can't "call ideas/models" & reserve them for themselves), and In-Game is somewhat constrained so I expected there to be a few Heroe submissions that would use the same model; it'll just go to show how creative either of you are as by direct comparison.

Good luck! Looking good so far. : )

Level 13
My Hero:

Name : Yange(Sange+Yasha=Yange xD)
Sub-Name : Polar Warrior
Strength (Primary Attribute) : 21+2.3
Agility : 11+1.5
Intelligence : 11+1.1
Starting HP/MP : 625/165
Starting Damage : 23-33
Starting Armor : 3
Description[2 modes]
Cunning hero, adept at chasing weak heroes and mana. Can learn Ursa Strike, Mana Swipe, Winter's Day and Rage(day) and Haunted(night)

Brother of Ulfassar, Keeper of fallen knight's sword, Yange. And he named himself Yange. Ulfassar always fight with him without no reason. And Ulfassar told to move away from him. So he goes to northrend. During in there, he met Magina and Magina teaches him mana techiniques. And then he met Yurnero and Yurnero teaches him how to omnislash. And suddenly he dream about his brother. Yange quickly moves to his brother in day because he can't feel curse of dream again. When he reaches his village, Villager said that he moved to Sentinel to protect us. And then Yange is now joined Sentinel. Making friendly relations between Ulfassar.

Skills:

1st Ability : Ursa Strike
- Polar Warrior quickly reach target and attack it. Dealing 50/100/150 damage.

2nd Ability : Mana Swipe
- Yange's each attacks destory 10/15/20 mana and deals Intelligence as extra damage to heroes.

3rd Ability : Winter's Day
- Turn time into day for 30 seconds. Each level decrease mana cost.

Ulti Ability[2 spells, change on day and night]
Rage(Day):
- Gives 40% movement speed and 75% attack speed. Trigger at day.

Haunted(Night):
- Reduce Yange's armor by 5 and 20% decreased movement speed.

I've special thanks to Nichilus for his help at my thread. : )

Oh and tell me if this is IMBALANCE!

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
My Hero:

Name : Yange(Sange+Yasha=Yange xD)
Sub-Name : Polar Warrior
Brother of Ulfassar, Keeper of fallen knight's sword, Yange. And he named himself Yange. Ulfassar always fight with him without no reason. And Ulfassar told to move away from him. So he goes to northrend. During in there, he met Magina and Magina teaches him mana techiniques. And then he met Yurnero and Yurnero teaches him how to omnislash. And suddenly he dream about his brother. Yange quickly moves to his brother in day because he can't feel curse of dream again. When he reaches his village, Villager said that he moved to Sentinel to protect us. And then Yange is now joined Sentinel. Making friendly relations between Ulfassar.

Skills:
2nd Ability : Mana Swipe
- Yange's each attacks destory 10/15/20 mana and deals Intelligence as extra damage to heroes.
Oh and tell me if this is IMBALANCE!
I don't know about "imbalance" (time & play-testing will tell that), but I can tell you to check the First Post; your Hero is definitely a bit AoS-styled (you even said so with the 'long description' :p), and this Contest is about making Heroes that fit in with Melee (Standard/Ladder/etc) Heroes, so that might be an issue.

Also, what Faction would host a Tuskarr (I assume)?

Other than that, interesting stuff. : )

Cokemonkey11

Code Reviewer
Level 29
You may use any script or system from a Wc3 Modding-Site's database for your map. This means if you want to use a system you, yourself, have made, it will have to be approved and in the database before the contest's beginning.

What the hell does that mean? I don't want to get all theoretical, but the difference between "systems" and "spells" is totally indefinite - not to mention logic/data duality

What WIP lol.

Yeah, I know it isn't much, it was more of a "I'm working on something rest assured" thing as opposed to a proper WiP. Once all his spells are done and triggered I'll make some screenshots of them.

Oh and by the way Kyrbi0 are you allowed to consult someone with better expertise than myself to check (quality/MUI check) the triggers before I submit?

Mine!
Name : Gairam, The Fate Weaver
Race: Undead
Primary: Agi
Abilities:
1. Time Blanket
Gairam enters a temporal blanket that exists between time frames, pausing the fates of his and everyone that he collides. Units affected by this ability receives damage and causes the effects Gairam applied to be extended, if they are affected.
2.?
3. Age Molt
By manipulating his own time frame, Gairam grows much faster, causing an additional HP regeneration for a short time. After he is fully grown, Gairam molts his own exoskeleton, becoming younger again, causing all buffs he has to be removed.
4. Fate Weave
Gairam manipulates the fate of every enemy, disabling the enemy's regeneration for a short time. Any kind of regeneration, natural, instant or over time, will not affect it's host.

Still thinking for a passive because all of the above are active! XD

@CakeMaster
This is the reason :p

Holy crap Almia that Q is a lot of work! D:
Thumbs up for having the motivation to do that. The ult might be underpowered but the set is pretty solid, surely would be fun to play.
======================
Hero Change;

Arash the Keen - Orc Machinist

Q - Jet Flame
[Toggle] Spawns heavy flames forwards, dealing 20/30/40 damage per second to enemies in a line but draining mana.

W - Firewall
Creates a wall of fire at a target location, lasting for 3 seconds. Enemies that are in it take 10/20/30% more damage and are slowed by 15/20/25%.

E - Combustion
Every three attacks deals 100/120/140% of Agility as bonus damage and grants the Machinist 15/20/25% movement speed for 2 seconds. Attacks against enemies in a Firewall count as two.

R - ?

Level 5
can we use hero model that already used in altar? example i use warden model but modifiy her skill

and can we use attachment to give some effect that differ it from the hero like give it sphere or something in their hand

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Lookin' good, everyone! Shadow Fury and Wa666r, good WIPs! Keep 'em coming, guys.

Also, I've realized (due to my business in life & what happened with the last Contest I hosted) that I simply cannot address each & every poster with the kind of (lengthy) replies & stuff that I like to give (& they deserve); so please don't feel bad if I don't respond directly to you. (Heck, I gotta make my entry, too. :p)

Anyway:

Love Seeker said:
Can I use other's systems?
CakeMaster said:
Wait, are icon recolors allowed?
busterkomo said:
Are we allowed any small model edits, like removing a unit's weapon/banner/etc?
Please check the Rules in the First Post
(Yes, No, No)

Love Seeker said:
... and can I optimize my map?
I don't see why not; it's not in the Rules one way or another, and it's just using a tool to make your map smaller (not substantively change it or utilize outside/custom resources)... But I fail to see why you would need to; is the KB limit that small? "In-Game" contest means filesize limit is nearly a non-issue, methinks.

Edge45 said:
Dang it!, I would have joined this if I was good at spells, >.<#
Well, goodluck to the contestants, :)
Bwaah? Nonsense. You don't have to be good at spells to make this Contest work for you; you just have to be good at Design! There are loads of unused Abilities in the Object Editor that you could take a look at... And as for "minimum 2 triggered abilities", well simply have a "Dummy-Casted" ability and you're set!
What kind of Hero were you thinking of doing?

Kingz said:
Seems Night Elfs are unpopular.

That makes my choice ever so easy.
Joining.
Glad to see you coming around, man. And unfortunately for you, while Night Elves are generally unpopular, that hasn't stopped me from making my nefariously Night Elven plans... Stay tuned. >: )

busterkomo said:
Haven't modded in like 4 years or some stuff but I'm totally in.

Fun fact: I ran the first ever Hero Contest at THW
Schweet! Glad to see some people coming out of the woodwork to come full-circle (mixing euphemisms...). Hope you like how this one goes.

Footman16 said:
Oh and by the way Kyrbi0 are you allowed to consult someone with better expertise than myself to check (quality/MUI check) the triggers before I submit?
Sure, I don't see why not. People, don't get too hung up on the "ENTRANTS MUST GO SOLO" thing; this is a community of collaboration. Now, I think we can all expect that the entry must be physically created (i.e. Editor-work) by you, and I think a majority (if not all) of the actual Design should be from your own mind... But getting some help playtesting? Trigger debugging? Tossing ideas around? That's all fair game, methinks.
(Besides, where do all those "Design (ideas) from your own mind" come from, anyway? 'Creativity' is simply the original/unique/innovative combination of existing elements; conversations you've had, games you've played, books you've read, movies you've seen, etc. So it all comes from someone/thing else originally anyway)

Garfield1337 said:
Cool contest, I'll be watching this.
I might apply for a judge since I have time atm, but not sure yet.
Thanks!
That would be appreciated; we will need Judges (and the more the merrier (to a point)).

Speaking of which, any potential Judges out there, when you 'sign up' please let me know how you feel about & understand the Judging Criteria stated in the First Post; it's very important to us that things are done consistently and fairly, so I wanna feel this out.

Shadow Fury said:
I have 2 question:-
1- Are coloured texts allowed?
2- Can I type "Cooldown" and "Mana cost" for the learn tooltip and Cooldown only for the tooltip or I must follow the basic blizzard style?
1) S...u...r...e? I don't know in what setting they would be used (please let me know), but Blizzard has the golden-yellow Tooltip color, so everyone's should (at least) have that... Do you mean, like, information about the map (like at the beginning), or in the tooltips?

2) I'll say this, you can do whatever you want. However, kinda the point of this Contest is to emulate Blizzard style as closely as possible; see Criteria 1: Theme. If you create really expansive, huge & descriptive Spell tooltips with a rainbow of colors & information, it'll be interesting... But will look really weird next to the regular In-Game heroes of your chosen Faction. This might affect you negatively in the Judging.

Keeping that in mind, we're not going to 'legislate' each & every little decision that is made. (this would go for #1 as well)

Chenralstrasz said:
Revantusks?
Eh, see above (Shadow Fury). When it comes to Contest Rules, I intend to be rather strict; when it comes to things inside the Rules it's up to you. "Theme" & "Role" are major components of the Criteria and are (hopefully) well-explained; if you want to make a Forest Troll hero by all means, go ahead. However, you might struggle in the Judging if you can't adequately rationalize what Forest Trolls are doing in whatever Faction you pick (Orcs being the most logical choice, but they have Darkspear Trolls now, so...)

(Personally, I think Forest Trolls are neat but perhaps better suited (in Wc3:FT) to Neutral Heroes; perhaps save the idea for the (hopefully upcoming if people like this enough) "Neutral Heroes" version of this Contest? :p)

Empirean said:
yey i found turtle (4)rock.w3x
Oh dang, thanks for reminding me about that. I meant to attach that map to the first post (even though anyone who can enter must have World Editor & thus Warcraft 3, & should be able to find it).

Dalvengyr said:
Anyway, my Hero's name is Wind Tempest (Proper name: Auorax). It's a night elf Hero which will be replacing Hero Warden...
I would say something about how having only 1 "Proper Name" is problematic for fitting into Wc3... But see the above (Chen & ShadowFury). Just keep that in mind. : )

More importantly, read the first post; your Hero should not be replacing an existing, in-game Hero, but should instead be supplementing your chosen Faction with an additional, 5th Hero.

Wa666r said:
My WIP: The Nathrezim Agent!
Wow, what a fancy-dancy WIP you got there, man... A few years back, and I'd be right there with you (posting a beautifully-illustrated WIP post)... But nowadays I'm lucky if I have time to make the darn thing. Well anyway...

I really like the level of detail you've put into this (and so fast!), with all the stats, the backstory, the abilities (and their stats/levels). Most importantly I'm glad you're taking Theme & Role so seriously in your design.

Big fan of your usage of in-game stuff; especially love that Urn.

I will say, though, that despite your best efforts, I'm really flaky about a second Dreadlord hero for the Undead (PERSONAL OPINION, not CONTEST LAW :p). Even with the differences between them (icon, black-wing-lines) they are literally identical, and especially from an in-game perspective will be very difficult to tell apart (one of the hallmarks of Blizzard's (good) aesthetic design is that each character (unit, hero, etc) is distinguishable from every other at a distance & in the blink of an eye). Moreover, intra-racial Hero interaction, while neat, seems a bit more fitting to an Altered Melee or even AoS (is he powerful enough to go alone? And/or is the "dual-Dreadlord team-up" too powerful to consider alternate options? etc).

That being said, I think many of your ideas could easily be 'ported' to a differently-styled Hero; a devious Dark Mentalist or Grim Archon or Necromaster Lord or Graven One or Shadow Priest... The Role (mechanics, utility, etc) & most of the abilities could stay, while the "aesthetic wrapper" (Theme) could be modified.

Just my two cents. Keep it up!

Cokemonkey11 said:
What the heck does that mean? I don't want to get all theoretical, but the difference between "systems" and "spells" is totally indefinite - not to mention logic/data duality
Dat-C3 said:
Yeah that rule should be removed/deleted.
u gaiz r 2 smrt 4 me...

This is precisely why I put that Rule in 'underlines', because I wasn't positive about it's implementation. See my earlier post about why this might be a good Rule to keep, Dat-C3... But as for you, CokeMonkey, I'll be honest; I have no friggin' clue. Lol, I would've said "spells are chunks of code that make a specific custom ability" and "systems are stand-alone instances of code that let you do some different things more easily"... But I am realizing that the distinction is not quite so clear-cut as I had hoped. (How are things 'differentiated' here in the Spells Resource Section, then??)

'Spells' are one-night-stands, while 'Systems' are full-on marriages. :p

As in my earlier post, we want to encourage people to create as much as possible 'from scratch'; if, for example, someone were to whip up a Hero utilizing entirely existing Systems & uploaded Spells, that would not be fair to those who slaved over a hot Trigger Editor or JNGP worked hard to make their stuff from scratch.

At the same time, there are certain systems (I believe; again, showing my ignorance as a true Coder) that provide invaluable functionalities & really make life easier for Coders (things like Timers, Damage Detection, Dynamic Hash-Duplex Indexing (<- made that up :p)...?); as long as they are publicly available (i.e. "already uploaded to the site") it makes sense that people can use them.

I think? Let me know. I will definitely ask some questions of my betters about it, though.

can we use hero model that already used in altar? example i use warden model but modifiy her skill

and can we use attachment to give some effect that differ it from the hero like give it sphere or something in their hand
See the above (Shadow Fury, Chen, Dalv, etc). We won't dictate to that level what contestants do, but remember that it will be judged according to Theme & how well it fits in Wc3, and (like with Wa666r), using the same exact model (even with SFX attachments) could prove problematic.

Cokemonkey11

Code Reviewer
Level 29
This is precisely why I put that Rule in 'underlines', because I wasn't positive about it's implementation. See my earlier post about why this might be a good Rule to keep, Dat-C3... But as for you, CokeMonkey, I'll be honest; I have no friggin' clue. Lol, I would've said "spells are chunks of code that make a specific custom ability" and "systems are stand-alone instances of code that let you do some different things more easily"... But I am realizing that the distinction is not quite so clear-cut as I had hoped. (How are things 'differentiated' here in the Spells Resource Section, then??)

As in my earlier post, we want to encourage people to create as much as possible 'from scratch'; if, for example, someone were to whip up a Hero utilizing entirely existing Systems & uploaded Spells, that would not be fair to those who slaved over a hot Trigger Editor or JNGP worked hard to make their stuff from scratch.

So basically you're saying you'd prefer to limit the quality of others' software engineering so that you can make things marginally more difficult for people who want to reuse code?

originality and design are judgment criteria, not line-count and obfuscation. That's just masochistic ;)

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Almia said:
Name : Gairam, The Fate Weaver
Race: Undead
Primary: Agi
Abilities:
1. Time Blanket
Gairam enters a temporal blanket that exists between time frames, pausing the fates of his and everyone that he collides. Units affected by this ability receives damage and causes the effects Gairam applied to be extended, if they are affected.
2.?
3. Age Molt
By manipulating his own time frame, Gairam grows much faster, causing an additional HP regeneration for a short time. After he is fully grown, Gairam molts his own exoskeleton, becoming younger again, causing all buffs he has to be removed.
4. Fate Weave
Gairam manipulates the fate of every enemy, disabling the enemy's regeneration for a short time. Any kind of regeneration, natural, instant or over time, will not affect it's host.

Still thinking for a passive because all of the above are active! XD
CakeMaster said:
======================
Hero Change;

Arash the Keen - Orc Machinist

Q - Jet Flame
[Toggle] Spawns heavy flames forwards, dealing 20/30/40 damage per second to enemies in a line but draining mana.

W - Firewall
Creates a wall of fire at a target location, lasting for 3 seconds. Enemies that are in it take 10/20/30% more damage and are slowed by 15/20/25%.

E - Combustion
Every three attacks deals 100/120/140% of Agility as bonus damage and grants the Machinist 15/20/25% movement speed for 2 seconds. Attacks against enemies in a Firewall count as two.

R - ?
Those both sound really interesting, but I would like to point out that those seem rather "AoS-y" (one Proper Name, a unique & non-repeatable entity, self-centered spells, etc)... Maybe it's just me, but remember the setting for this Contest (i.e. Hero Additions to the Factions).

Also CakeMaster, for an Orc "Machinist" he has an awful lot of 'fire' abilities... :< But it's some neat synergy.

So basically you're saying you'd prefer to limit the quality of others' software engineering so that you can make things marginally more difficult for people who want to reuse code?

originality and design are judgment criteria, not line-count and obfuscation. That's just masochistic ;)
Um no?

I don't know?

VermillionEdict said:
Would a 'custom' soundset, made from other ingame content be okay?
What about cosmetic abilities like Spider Attack, or Lightning Attack, which modify the basic attack graphics.
Good questions... Erg...

1) True, it's not precisely "new" in that it would be made from other in-game "content" (I'm assuming you mean various unit responses (though what could you possibly patch together that would make sense?...))... But I'm afraid that might be flirting the line too much for comfort; it's still an "imported" good that other people don't have access to. Ideally none of the exceptions to the "No Imports // Only In-Game" rule are things anyone couldn't get a hold of (hero glow, dummy model, new borders on icons, etc); this would be a bit beyond that, I'm afraid.

2) I'm rather curious to know what you have/had in mind for this; I've considered messing with Lightning Attack for some of my projects, but Spider Attack has always eluded me (what could it become? what would it be used for? Is it simple to edit/utilize? etc). That being said, I'm kinda leaning away from this as well; it would be a modified artistic resource in the same vein as other custom artwork (though admittedly small). Part of the challenge is resourcefully utilizing in-game stuff; Lightning Attack fits a Gnomish Technomancer or Thunder Lord or a Lightning Mage (perhaps using the Thrall model?) or something... Spider Attack could fit well on a Nerubian Swarm Lord or Night Elven Druid of the Spider or Human Necromaster (perhaps using the KelThuzad Ghost model?) or something.

//EDIT// - I should be more clear: If a user wants to modify an existing in-game ability (such as Spider Attack, Lightning Attack, etc) to create interesting new art assets, that is TOTALLY FINE and in fact A REALLY CREATIVE IDEA. I thought he meant "modifying the resource to create a new, imported asset", which would obviously be 'not allowed'.

Last edited:
Level 25
All submitted entries must have a filename in the format:
THW.HC7.<MyHeroName>.w3x

Makes more sense to be <UserName> than <HeroName>, but hey your rule.

Sure, I don't see why not. People, don't get too hung up on the "ENTRANTS MUST GO SOLO" thing; this is a community of collaboration. Now, I think we can all expect that the entry must be physically created (i.e. Editor-work) by you, and I think a majority (if not all) of the actual Design should be from your own mind... But getting some help playtesting? Trigger debugging? Tossing ideas around? That's all fair game, methinks.

This is really not the way it should be tho.
Asking others to fix your code or optimize it defeats the purpose of actually using it in the final grade of your submission.

It's not paired hero contest lol.
Bug testing is fine as in: i played your submission, spotted a bug doing this.
But shouldn't be fine: your code at line X can/will cause a problem cause of reason Y.
Or we will see the spell section populated by spells from this contest and getting fixed by others.
Others might not see to this point as me but it's how i feel on the subject.

And yeah, we need a better defined rule as Cokemonkey11 and Dat-C3 said or the current one removed imo.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Makes more sense to be <UserName> than <HeroName>, but hey your rule.
Meh, we'll see. I'm not super-sold either way.

Kingz said:
This is really not the way it should be tho.
Asking others to fix your code or optimize it defeats the purpose of actually using it in the final grade of your submission.

It's not paired hero contest lol.
Bug testing is fine as in: i played your submission, spotted a bug doing this.
But shouldn't be fine: your code at line X can/will cause a problem cause of reason Y.
Or we will see the spell section populated by spells from this contest and getting fixed by others.
Others might not see to this point as me but it's how i feel on the subject.
It's a fine line.

"Asking others to fix" or "asking others to optimize", I also disagree with (though the definition of "fix" lies in question). But using an Optimizer (a program we can all download & use) to make things smaller (as unnecessary as that might be)? Sure, why not. Or, if you need help, posting in the WEHZ or the Triggers/Scripts section for help? I mean, where else would they get it? But no, I don't want everyone posting Spells to the Spell Resource section to try & get pointers; that's dumb & unfair (Resource Section(s) being for completed resources). Just like in the Modeling Contests; users shouldn't be submitting their resources there, methinks.

I'm not sure about making it a solid Rule, but if you guys feel it would help, I can put "Spells must not be submitted to Resource Section before end of Contest". Or would that not address the whole issue?

Kyrbi0 said:
u gaiz r 2 smrt 4 me...

Think of it this way...

At the same time, there are certain systems (I believe; again, showing my ignorance as a true Coder) that provide invaluable functionalities & really make life easier for Coders (things like Timers, Damage Detection, Dynamic Hash-Duplex Indexing (<- made that up :p)...?); as long as they are publicly available (i.e. "already uploaded to the site") it makes sense that people can use them.

I think? Let me know. I will definitely ask some questions of my betters about it, though.

Why didn't you just say so, instead of saying what you did you should have said something that encourages people to make their own code. By what you said it meant that we couldn't do anything besides spells that just well simply deal damage or stuff in one trigger and no knockback or anything of the such allowed.

Maybe phrase it as limiting to only major systems allowed such as a damage detection or a unit indexer. My thoughts are to allow major systems but dis-allow smaller ones to follow the same rule as in-game resources so like you said nobody can whip something up like nothing.

Level 1
Well.... mine's a little weird...... A Strength Shaman that is ranged... weird.....

My HEro...

MASTER SHAMAN[/COLORFirewheel

Same as Immolate but when a unit gets near, Pillars of Flames will jut out on the approching enemy until he goes away.
(Pernament)

Earthquake

Shakes the ground on the targeted area, and slowing down anyone in that region

Lightning Strike

Thunder will strike on enemy units at the targeted location

ULTI:

Fire, Earth, Thunder, Heed My Call( Nice name huh?)

Calls upon the Fire to burn around the Shaman, at the same time, lightning will strike around him, and the Earth will crack under the Shaman!!!!

These are me ideas.... about me hero, MASTER SHAMAN

Last edited:

Kazeon

Hosted Project: EC
Level 33
first spell WIP
JASS:
scope FrozenSpellpack

globals
        private constant integer DUMMY_ID = 'h000'
        private constant real SFX_DECAY_TIME = 5.0
    endglobals

private module FrostwaveData

static constant integer SPELL_ID = 'A000'
        static constant integer SHARD_COUNT = 7
        static constant real LAUNCH_Z = 40.0
        static constant real SPEED_MIN = 20.0
        static constant real SPEED_MAX = 50.0
        static constant real ACCELERATION = 5.0
        static constant real TURN_RATE = 6.0 * bj_DEGTORAD
        static constant string MISSILE_PATH = "war3mapImported\\IceBolt.mdx"

static constant method aoe takes integer l returns real
            return 100.0
        endmethod

static constant method damage takes integer l returns real
            return 60.0 * l
        endmethod

static constant method duration takes integer l returns real
            return 2.75
        endmethod

endmodule

native UnitAlive takes unit id returns boolean

private function getDistance takes real x, real y, real xt, real yt returns real
        return SquareRoot((xt - x) * (xt - x) + (yt - y) * (yt - y))
    endfunction

private function getAngle takes real x, real y, real xt, real yt returns real
        return Atan2(yt - y, xt - x)
    endfunction

private function isInBound takes real x, real y returns boolean
        return x >= WorldBounds.minX and x <= WorldBounds.maxX and y >= WorldBounds.minY and y <= WorldBounds.maxY
    endfunction

private struct Freeze

static method apply takes unit u, real dur returns thistype

local thistype this = allocate()

return this
        endmethod

endstruct

scope Frostwave

private module KillShard
            call UnitApplyTimedLife(i.m.u[j], 'BTLF', SFX_DECAY_TIME)
            call DestroyEffect(i.m.e[j])
            set i.m.e[j] = null
            set i.m.u[j] = null
            set i.m.b[j] = false
            set i.m.c = i.m.c - 1
            if i.m.c < 0 then
                call i.m.destroy()
                set b = true
            endif
        endmodule

private struct data extends array
            implement FrostwaveData
            static constant real TAU = bj_PI * 2
            static constant real ANGLE_ADD = TAU/data.SHARD_COUNT
            static constant player PASSIVE = Player(PLAYER_NEUTRAL_PASSIVE)
        endstruct

private keyword Frostwave

private struct IceShard

readonly integer c

readonly real array s[data.SHARD_COUNT]
            readonly real array a[data.SHARD_COUNT]

readonly real array x[data.SHARD_COUNT]
            readonly real array y[data.SHARD_COUNT]

readonly unit array u[data.SHARD_COUNT]

readonly boolean array b[data.SHARD_COUNT]

readonly effect array e[data.SHARD_COUNT]

private static method inRadius takes real x, real y, real xt, real yt, real r returns boolean
                return (x - xt) * (x - xt) + (y - yt) * (y - yt) <= r * r
            endmethod

static method move takes Frostwave i returns boolean

local integer j = 0
                local boolean b = false
                local real a

loop
                    exitwhen j > data.SHARD_COUNT

if i.m.b[j] then
                        set i.m.x[j] = i.m.x[j] + i.m.s[j] * Cos(i.m.a[j])
                        set i.m.y[j] = i.m.y[j] + i.m.s[j] * Sin(i.m.a[j])

if isInBound(i.m.x[j], i.m.y[j]) then
                            if inRadius(i.m.x[j], i.m.y[j], i.tX, i.tY, i.m.s[j]) then
                                implement KillShard
                            else
                                set a = getAngle(i.m.x[j], i.m.y[j], i.tX, i.tY)
                                call SetUnitX(i.m.u[j], i.m.x[j])
                                call SetUnitY(i.m.u[j], i.m.y[j])
                                call SetUnitFacing(i.m.u[j], i.m.a[j] * bj_RADTODEG)

if data.TURN_RATE != 0 and Cos(i.m.a[j] - a) < Cos(data.TURN_RATE) then
                                    if Sin(a - i.m.a[j]) >= 0 then
                                        set i.m.a[j] = i.m.a[j] + data.TURN_RATE
                                    else
                                        set i.m.a[j] = i.m.a[j] - data.TURN_RATE
                                    endif
                                else
                                    set i.m.a[j] = a
                                    set i.m.s[j] = i.m.s[j] + data.ACCELERATION
                                    if i.m.s[j] > data.SPEED_MAX then
                                        set i.m.s[j] = data.SPEED_MAX
                                    endif
                                endif
                            endif
                        else
                            implement KillShard
                        endif
                    endif

set j = j + 1
                endloop

return b
            endmethod

static method create takes real x, real y, real f returns thistype

local thistype this = allocate()
                local integer i = 0

set f = f - data.ANGLE_ADD * (data.SHARD_COUNT/2)

set .c = data.SHARD_COUNT - 1

loop
                    exitwhen i > .c

set .s[i] = data.SPEED_MIN
                    set .a[i] = f
                    set .b[i] = true

set .x[i] = x
                    set .y[i] = y
                    set .u[i] = CreateUnit(data.PASSIVE, DUMMY_ID, x, y, f * bj_RADTODEG)
                    set .e[i] = AddSpecialEffectTarget(data.MISSILE_PATH, .u[i], "origin")

if UnitAddAbility(.u[i], 'Amrf') and UnitRemoveAbility(.u[i], 'Amrf') then
                    endif
                    call SetUnitFlyHeight(.u[i], data.LAUNCH_Z, 0)

set f = f + data.ANGLE_ADD
                    set i = i + 1
                endloop

return this
            endmethod

endstruct

private struct Frostwave extends array

unit c

player p

real tX
            real tY

real a  // AoE
            real d  // Damage
            real r  // Duration

IceShard m

implement CTL
                local boolean b

implement CTLExpire
                set b = IceShard.move(this)
                if b then
                    call destroy()
                endif
            implement CTLEnd

private static method onCast takes nothing returns boolean

local thistype this = create()
                local integer l
                local real a
                local real x
                local real y

set .c = GetTriggerUnit()
                set .p = GetTriggerPlayer()

set x = GetUnitX(.c)
                set y = GetUnitY(.c)
                set .tX = GetSpellTargetX()
                set .tY = GetSpellTargetY()

set l = GetUnitAbilityLevel(.c, data.SPELL_ID)
                set a = getAngle(x, y, .tX, .tY)
                set .m = IceShard.create(x, y, a)

set .d = data.damage(l)
                set .a = data.aoe(l)
                set .r = data.duration(l)

return false
            endmethod

static if not LIBRARY_SpellEffectEvent then
                private static method check takes nothing returns boolean
                    if GetSpellAbilityId() == data.SPELL_ID then
                        call thistype.onCast()
                    endif
                    return false
                endmethod
            endif

private static method onInit takes nothing returns nothing

local trigger t

static if LIBRARY_SpellEffectEvent then
                    call RegisterSpellEffectEvent(data.SPELL_ID, function thistype.onCast)
                else
                    set t = CreateTrigger()
                    call TriggerRegisterAnyUnitEventBJ(t, EVENT_PLAYER_UNIT_SPELL_EFFECT)
                    call TriggerAddCondition(t, Condition(function thistype.check))
                endif

endmethod

endstruct
    endscope

endscope

Status
Not open for further replies.