• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Feedback] Compiled List of 1.30 / 1.29 Bugs & Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
Another widescreen bug. This one is not in-game; it's in the game menus (including single player and bnet).

Text input widgets have a glitch regarding moving the text cursor with the mouse. Again, it seems weirdly offset by the different aspect ratio. You can type in some text in a chat room text input widget, then try to drag select part of the text with the mouse. The text cursor and the mouse cursor will NOT be in the same position on the screen.

Other widgets (buttons/etc) seem to work fine.

EDIT: Included screenshot. Taken with the left mouse button held down, drag selecting the text.

Attachments

• dragselect.png
    dragselect.png
    1,014.4 KB · Views: 262
Level 31
Looks like it is not the textures that messed up, but lighting. Maybe it got something to do with ingame model Ratation angles, because those models that are in picture are most likely rotated. Looks like when it gets rotated, it drops a massive shadow which makes no sense. Must be a lighting bug or something. Are those bugs being/will be adressed?

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
There is a fatal issue with the editor loading object data from the Campaign Editor.
I was just trying to apply an upgrade I created for my campaign to a unit, resulting in a crash.
First off: Since the campaign file is still unable to get its object data from itself, it is required to open a map of that campaign.
Else you are not able to even pick any of the custom object data as requirement or research.
Everything else, like adding them to

The window appeared just as usual, but as soon as I clicked the "Add Tech Item" button, the World Editor crashed.
I have tested this with all maps of the campaign.

Upon further investigation, I noticed that this is not limited to "Upgrades Used" but also applies to "Researches Available" and even "Requirements".
I also noticed that all of the custom campaigns created by me are affected, not just one.
I am unable to expand the custom techtree. I cannot add any upgrades to units or to buildings; I cannot even change the requirements for any unit, ability or upgrade.

I can also say that my campaign is not the only one affected, I downloaded Rise of the Blood Elves by tomoraider and noticed that it has the same issue.

I am not sure if I can do that or ANYTHING related to campaign making when I have no access to the freaking custom techtree.

Last edited:
Looks like it is not the textures that messed up, but lighting. Maybe it got something to do with ingame model Ratation angles, because those models that are in picture are most likely rotated. Looks like when it gets rotated, it drops a massive shadow which makes no sense. Must be a lighting bug or something. Are those bugs being/will be adressed?

Are you sure? Many maps now have models with black textures and it's not due to the lighting, it's from BLP images with fake mipmaps.

Level 31
Are you sure? Many maps now have models with black textures and it's not due to the lighting, it's from BLP images with fake mipmaps.
My map was up since 2014 and no issues were found. When 1.29 popped up, some models went like 99% black. Not fully black, but with strong shadow that is nearly black. All with the same version of the map that functioned normally since 2016. So yes, I am completely sure it has something to do with the patch lighting. Maybe it got something to do with model settings, maybe some parameters are no longer normally recognised by the system. But the fact is that some of those models went dark with the release of the patch.

Level 10
I have the same problem too. Is Blizzard aware of this issue?

Doubt it. This is most likely just a pet project of a handful of their staffers. No chance Blizzard redirects any notable amount of resources into a game that aint makin them a penny no more. I know there are alternative tools that allowed placing more objects and makin bigger maps already. Maybe people creating these tools will know how to help.

Level 14
Alternate version of my idea in case other one causes issues - if map is 12 players and older than 1.29(hence it doesnt use 13 to 16 slots) why not make the game assume these players slots to be respective neutral slots in triggers and forces and AI, this would fix it for all older maps that rely on that, because there is virtually no way to update all of them, they are either very tighly protected so even if it gets unprotected it will prolly turn out blank and broken and there are just too many maps out there to do that, so it's better to make game assume stuff like this when loading the map and using players from 13th to 16th as respective neutral forces - passive, hostile, victim and extra.....or replace them with such, this way all old map's triggers will work and load and run....

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Doubt it. This is most likely just a pet project of a handful of their staffers. No chance Blizzard redirects any notable amount of resources into a game that aint makin them a penny no more.
You know, you could actually ask that question of someone who knows, rather than assuming. But more importantly, have you been ignoring things the last few years? Blizzard created a "Classic Games" department; it's of unknown size, and certainly nothing compared to the vastness of the rest of Blizzard, but it's not nothing.

Level 2
The chat in the custom game lobby loses focus when you are changing team or colour and you have to manually click on chat widget to be able to write a chat message again. It doesn't happen when you are changing race or handicap (example). It also happens when you click anywhere in the area of menu where player slots are displayed.

Also team and colour are resetting to default if you click on their button for the 2nd time until you click on the chat (example). That behavior occurs only for those two settings.

That bug doesn't happen in the last PTR build (1.29.0.8920).

Level 7
Anyone else having issues with custom tile textures crashing world editor? When I load up a map that works fine in 1.28 world editor crashes while loading the custom tile textures. My custom cliff textures work, however, so is it just a very specific kind of texture that crashes the editor I wonder.

I got it to work after removing all the custom tiles but the aesthetics get a big downgrade.

Anyone else having issues with custom tile textures crashing world editor? When I load up a map that works fine in 1.28 world editor crashes while loading the custom tile textures. My custom cliff textures work, however, so is it just a very specific kind of texture that crashes the editor I wonder.

I got it to work after removing all the custom tiles but the aesthetics get a big downgrade.

Yes it's due to BLP files with fake mipmaps. Resave your textures in BLPLab and they will work again.

Level 7
That seems to have solved it, cheers TriggerHappy.

And keytal, can't you open the map in earlier versions? Otherwise you could use an MPQ editor to access the imported files.

Level 4
Well guys ... I am going to be honest with you here. I know HIVE does not like ppl who mix WC3 with WoW assets but since I brought something to life (with this technique) that I am sure alot of you guys enjoyed I hope I won't be thrown at. I made the machinima War of the Ancietns - Well of Eternity and now I am working on something grand like that again. For that I am having maps with so many imported files that I don't think it is even possible to fix them one by one. I am talking about tens of thousands of files here ... so if the editor cannot open the files I am pretty much screwed. And since this time the cinematic experience would be interactive I want the map to run on the newest patch, so downgrading is not an option :( Months/years of working here ...

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
For that I am having maps with so many imported files that I don't think it is even possible to fix them one by one. I am talking about tens of thousands of files here ... so if the editor cannot open the files I am pretty much screwed. And since this time the cinematic experience would be interactive I want the map to run on the newest patch, so downgrading is not an option :( Months/years of working here ...
Wait for a messianic patch or just use the previous version of the editor hoping the map(s) will work on newer patches. My maps seem to be working on this patch whether saved with a 1.27-1.28 version or the current 1.29 one. I am referring to ingame. Loading with the editor works as I've probably not imported any of the buggy resources yet.

Level 20
Well guys ... I am going to be honest with you here. I know HIVE does not like ppl who mix WC3 with WoW assets but since I brought something to life (with this technique) that I am sure alot of you guys enjoyed I hope I won't be thrown at. I made the machinima War of the Ancietns - Well of Eternity and now I am working on something grand like that again. For that I am having maps with so many imported files that I don't think it is even possible to fix them one by one. I am talking about tens of thousands of files here ... so if the editor cannot open the files I am pretty much screwed. And since this time the cinematic experience would be interactive I want the map to run on the newest patch, so downgrading is not an option :( Months/years of working here ...
There's no need to be overly dramatic about it since BLPlab can automate batch conversions. Part of your solution can be automated, which is more than what other people can say about their issues.

DON'T convert all your textures by hand, that's the slow and inefficient way.

Level 4
Requesting any field of an attack index which is disabled returns 0. Those fields can't be rewritten either.
vJASS:
call BJDebugMsg(I2S(BlzGetUnitBaseDamage(u,disabledIndex))) //returns 0
call BJDebugMsg(I2S(BlzUnitDiceNumber(u,disabledIndex))) //returns 0
call BJDebugMsg(I2S(BlzUnitDiceSides(u,disabledIndex))) //returns 0
//etc.

Level 13
When using 16:9 1920x1080 everything is in 4:3 aspect ratio even in game everything is squished to the middle and multiboards etc. I would honestly rather have it just stretched like it used to be if i knew they were going to half ass it.. Does anyone know if they plan to fix this?

It broke every game i had out but they were easy fixes because of players 13-16 becoming actual players.

how do i use native DeleteHeroAbility: takes unit whichUnit, integer abilCode returns nothing ? not seeing it in the gui list? (haven't map edited in a while and dont remember jass much)

Also in W.E you cant just click on the mini map in the top left and scroll around fast in a large map, VERY annoying.. :/

Last edited:
Level 4
There's no need to be overly dramatic about it since BLPlab can automate batch conversions. Part of your solution can be automated, which is more than what other people can say about their issues.

DON'T convert all your textures by hand, that's the slow and inefficient way.

Hi there,

I saw you have an actual idea about how to fix my problem and if you would be so kind to tell me the steps I have to do I would be grateful.

I don't really know about the technicalities, I just know that I can't access to my maps. That is why I seem to be overly dramatic.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT:

Just read on the official forums that they are fixing the texture issue ... however I've heard the whole trigger system is broken now as well.

Last edited:
Level 1
Mouse events return coordinates of map points, what might be wrong in my opinion or at least not enough (because you can rotate the camera and point mouse at the sky, what returns 0,0)

I think it should return coordinates related to screen view, not the map points themselves (or provide new natives for that)

Wrda

Spell Reviewer
Level 26
It seems like no one talked about this, but the game text messages position is kind of middle-left centered, and should be at full left of the screen. It is extremely annoying to have text in the center because it blocks the view.
Now about the widescreen, I've played with several people including random and they just don't like it, looks unproportionate, and would rather return how it was before, there is also no reason for it to have been implemented.
Remove white colour, it's the worst colour to be added since each player in his screen mini map is white.
Coal colour won't work, it is difficult to see on mini map with some specific tiles like dark grass, leaves, grass trim.
make Navy colour a bit darker.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Remove white colour, it's the worst colour to be added since each player in his screen mini map is white.
Coal colour won't work, it is difficult to see on mini map with some specific tiles like dark grass, leaves, grass trim.
make Navy colour a bit darker.
Colours are mostly fine. Now they just need to make user units another colour on the minimap or change that of white on the minimap.

Now about the widescreen, I've played with several people including random and they just don't like it, looks unproportionate, and would rather return how it was before, there is also no reason for it to have been implemented.

No it was disproportionate and stretched before. It is displaying correct now and the game view looks much better. You are probably used to playing the stretched version for a long time. They could have an option to position the minimap and command card to the bottom corners, though.

Mouse events return coordinates of map points, what might be wrong in my opinion or at least not enough (because you can rotate the camera and point mouse at the sky, what returns 0,0)

I think it should return coordinates related to screen view, not the map points themselves (or provide new natives for that)

I agree. Also, please make them async so there is no delay. We can sync what we need ourselves manually. The current mouse natives are very fast in multiplayer, although I think you can tell it's not instant.

Wrda

Spell Reviewer
Level 26
Colours are mostly fine. Now they just need to make user units another colour on the minimap or change that of white on the minimap.
I have 2 questions for you: How often do you play warcraft? How long do you play it?
Judging on what you said it looks like you don't play it much.
I've been playing Warcraft 3 for 9 years and I've always been white in mini-map whatever colour I was (like everyone else), and that has its logic, so why change that now? Don't tell me "because they introduced white colour" because it's not true since user player was always white and changing that now would only cause more confusion to every player when it was fine before. Get rid of white colour as player is a must, it is even hard to see it in world editor near the unit pallete.
They should use another colour instead like a dark yellow: 939300 in RRGGBB hex code.
Emerald colour is not very well distinguished from dark green, needs to be modified.

No it was disproportionate and stretched before. It is displaying correct now and the game view looks much better. You are probably used to playing the stretched version for a long time. They could have an option to position the minimap and command card to the bottom corners, though.
Yes, the empty space makes it weird.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Yeah same thing here. And it also says that i don't have direct x 8.1 or higher, which is obviously false.
btw. that direct x error makes it impossible for me to testmap out of WE...
I trust there are no DirectX / Direct3D files in your WC3 folder?

If no, then maybe you should reinstall the DirectX End-user Runtime:
- Download DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer from Official Microsoft Download Center
- Download DirectX End-User Runtimes (June 2010) from Official Microsoft Download Center

The full end-user redistributable will do a force install of all the DirectX components. Please uncompress in a new folder the contents of the archive, and then manually launch the file DXSETUP.exe

Hi guys,

Need some help on hosting with ghost++, the game version.

I keep getting a message of
"logon failed - game version is too old, disconnecting"

I tried to change the custom_war3version to
leave empty, 29, 29.0, 29.0.9055, 29.1, 1.29.....
still no luck

btw, I have the storm and game .dll ready and extracted blizzard.j and common.j from war3.mpq

can somebody please help me?

Thank you

Have you already read this?
GHost changes in patch 1.29 - Eurobattle.net WiKi

They are mentioning war3x.mpq, not war3.mpq

Level 11
You can't cut more than once a trigger in trigger editor before having to copy paste every trigger you need to move or restart the world editor.

Level 4
2 Things:

1st: Attribute Text showing out of Place after alt-Tabbing.
View attachment 296653

2nd:
native 'IsUnitInvulnerable' should be named "IsUnitVULNERABLE" because it returns true if the unit is VULNERABLE and returns false if the Unit is invulnerable.
IsUnitInvulnerable works better because there's a native for making a unit Invulnerable.

Odd thing about BlzUnitCancelTimedLife; it still has that buggy behavior that was already reported.

When calling UnitCancelTimedLife on a summoned unit, the summoned unit immediately dies.

This is on the main patch, not PTR.

It used to only kill hero units IIRC. I remember re-testing it and the bug was no longer there. Guess I will test again.

Level 5
Engineering Upgrade seems to be bugged when used in a specific (admittedly rather obscure) way. for a given engineering upgrade spell and a given unit, if the engineering upgrade (or a spell based on it) has:
- at least 2 levels
- for a level except level 1, has a replacement rule in the first ability set (DataC) that does not apply to that unit (i.e causes no abilities to change; happens when the engineering upgrade is used to make permanent changes by reversing the rule order so that the change happens only once on removal)
- for the same level as above, has a replacement rule in the second ability set (DataD) that is invalid (i.e empty or abilities that dont exist)
(- curiously, the other 2 sets (DataE and DataF) are fine and do not cause any problems regardless of their values)

then giving it to that unit and leveling it to that level (no matter if through triggers or the skill menu) will cause the engineering upgrade to replace itself with a different ability. After that, engineering upgrade will be gone, any replacements that should have still been done in set 3 or 4 are skipped. basically, your day is ruined.

the ability it gets replaced with has a face as an icon (BTNTemp.blp) and the tooltip "Tool tip missing!". if using a spell level reset tome to turn it into the actual spell (spells replaced by engineering upgrade keep most of their properties if the spell was already leveled), it also shows that it has no actual command card item, has "Tool tip missing!" in the levelup tooltip as well and can be leveled indefinitely without actually ever gaining a level.

worst part is that that face looks like its smugly laughing at your misfortune.

can be worked around by filling DataD for all levels 2 and above with existent but unused spells.

i'm 100% sure that this behavior is new in 1.29 as it bugged out my map that worked perfectly fine before the patch (and now works fine again after applying the workaround).

Wrda

Spell Reviewer
Level 26
One of the most annoying issues is when you are in a lobby of a game and you click anywhere on the rectangle of the teams and players it will remove that line thing (don't know the proper name, but it's the line that flashes and disappears repeatedly) from chat which means you aren't able to type and if you press "a" it will look like you left the lobby.
Also when you click on the teams name to swap colour it will move your cursor off to the black sided margins.

Level 16
I have an issue where I can't launch the World Editor without a CD inserted. Though the actual game will launch without the CD. This is annoying since my laptop doesn't have a CD drive, and who uses CDs anymore anyway?

Here's the error without a CD:

cd-key-1-png.296818

Here's the error when I mount a virtual image of Warcraft 3 the Frozen Throne:

cd-key-2-png.296819

I've tried on a couple of different computer and get the same result. World Editor will launch if I get a portable CD drive and insert the physical CD. Anyone else have this problem?

Level 5
Don't know if anyone else experienced this, but since the patch and since opening my custom map in the new editor: everytime i load the map, there is a 10-15 seconds heavy lag until it gets cleared. It seems to have something to do with units placed, because if i remove every single unit, no lag happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.