• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Cinematic Contest #6 - 5 minutes free theme

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 17
Do they look like real brothers now?

attachment.php

Attachments

• WIP 20.PNG
    WIP 20.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 352
Level 31
The child looks better, much better, but the head size difference looks really odd. It is normal for kids to have big heads compared to the rest of body, but not for adult's physique, such as Villager has. I guess the child needs his head scaled down, the easiest fix I suppose.

Do they look like real brothers now?

attachment.php

Remind me again why haven't you just used two villager models, smashed some Stanakin trademark skins on them using re-wrap option from a modelling program? 'would've looked miles better than the current endeavor.

That child model marks the very chill of sanity from strike one.

Level 31
but where shall I post it?
In previous contests it was enough to attach your map to the post saying it is your final entry, I think it is okay to do this way again, yet some of guys suggested it is better to upload in the map section, in this case just drop the link to it in your post. I guess both ways are really okay.

Haven't seen you around for a while, TwoVenomous, good to see you again. :)

Deleted member 238226

D

Deleted member 238226

Holidays are going to keep me very busy over the next week, so this is a rough outline of my cinematic. I still plan to finish the underwater terrain and add more events in the space area.

beautiful. just beautiful.

Level 35
Holidays are going to keep me very busy over the next week, so this is a rough outline of my cinematic. I still plan to finish the underwater terrain and add more events in the space area.

The ice-bear pup walks backwards into the water - it that on purpose? As it looks rather unrealistic, thus clashing with your style. There is also a slight issue with its walking animation speed when it exits the cave.
Other than that, I like the mood it tries to set and your experimentation with appearance/scene.

Level 31
Truly unique cinematic, Tickles. It really plays your style and looks really good and smooth. From my personal point of view I perhaps would like to see more zoomed in action rather than from a far perspective, also few scenes could use more camera angles instead of one long pan. But that's minor in my opinion, showing events from far gives that feeling of how small the cub is. Well done, looking forward to the final product. :)

Level 25
Anyone knows how to make a floating text with some degree of transparency? I couldn't find any results searching the web.

BTW That's a cute lovely cinematic there Tickles :) Good job!
Thanks :psmile: And you can give it transparency if you disable its permanence. If the text was created with transparency, then disabling its permanance should instantly give it its transparency.
The ice-bear pup walks backwards into the water - it that on purpose? As it looks rather unrealistic, thus clashing with your style. There is also a slight issue with its walking animation speed when it exits the cave.
Other than that, I like the mood it tries to set and your experimentation with appearance/scene.
Originally I was going to have the cub slip and then slide into the water, but I ended up having him backing away from the wolf instead. I'll see if I can make it flow more naturally.
From my personal point of view I perhaps would like to see more zoomed in action rather than from a far perspective, also few scenes could use more camera angles instead of one long pan.
Yeah, I felt like I was repeating too much of that like I did in the last contest. Lazy Tickles is lazy, but luckily there's still time to pry him off his lazy butt and do better camera work!
Well done Tickles. You cinematic is great! Did you compose this music yourself? Is this a synthetic orchestra or did you perform the piano piece yourself? Very surreal.
Thank you! And I wish I could make music like that myself, but I'm still learning. It was made by Lucas King. I just cut a couple of his songs into parts to fit them into different scenes.

Level 7
It doesn't HAVE to last five minutes, you know. If you can make it work in 4 minutes 30 seconds that's just fine. :)

Level 31
I almost managed to fit mine into 4:59, had to cut on few seconds though, but it did no harm, and it still feels very short. I also added over a minute of crediting, it was okay for previous contest so I guess it will do this time as well. So in all its 6+ mins.

Level 31
Well, there are some great world accepted novels with under 50 pages. :) But yeah, I believe to fit in 5 minutes one has to grasp a story background which is already known to viewer (for example, my plot of plague epidemic in europe, or Warcraft plot), this way one can move directly into actions so there is no need for introductions, therefore it saves several minutes. Will post a video of my entry next week, so perhaps some useful suggestions will help to improve it in the remaining days.

Level 22
Who are our contestants?

Likely/Confirmed Contestants

Aproject
Twinkles (Submitting Glistening Heart)
Radicool
Arad MNK
DatnessX (Submitted Resident Evil)

Maybes

Proxy
Loner-Magixxar
Chaosy

Have I missed, or misrepresented anyone?

The amount of incorrect spelling of usernames in that post is too damn high.

Also, I doubt Chaosy would join.

And I think Warseeker will join.

Level 35
I was planning to post a video next week, but screw it, it is almost a next week. So this is currently my final product, suggestions and critique is appreciated, so that it can change until the deadline

Is there a particular reason you fade to black, with a door sound, instead of having the door open, then fade? That doesn't create the most logical transition to the next scene. As it is now, the scene kinda stops during the fade to black.

In the scene with wagon, one of the doctors walking encounters some small rocks, that clearly passes through his foot. I would adjust the rocks to avoid that problem.

The crying lady near the wagon is too still. For the amount of crying she should move more.. all I can judge that she is doing now is some very faint movement of her arm.. Given that the scene lingers on her, it becomes noticeable.. Making some slight head movement, or similar would be enough.

I like the red cross painting and the detail with the paint brush.. but what is that wood square just below the windows next to the "painting doctor"? It doesn't align with the rest of the building, or at least not the windows.

When the doctor falls to his knees, it appears as if the sound is delayed. The crying and sound of the staff? (Realized now that it was the mask) hitting the ground only sounds after the cut, thus making an odd pause between the cries.

The last doctor carrying the body has hit hands go above the hands of the corpse, before exiting the scene and the running woman following them has a wrong looking running animation speed (noticeable feet slip).

The final scene with the dying doctor, unsure if its intentional, but if he is still supposed to look alive, he needs to move a little, not just be a prop. Its fine after the other person shows up and he moves his head.

All of this are details and suggestions for improvements, the overall story is an interesting premise and not something I've seen in a wc3 cinematic before. :wcool:

Naked female, that surprised me

Level 31
Thank you for your take on this, Baron. It does have those little detail flaws, I may try to adjust those.
Is there a particular reason you fade to black, with a door sound, instead of having the door open, then fade?
Yeah, I have to use this trick to avoid doors going through the doctor, at the same time doctor had to be close enough for his hand to knock. Moving him back wouldn't look good in my opinion.
but what is that wood square just below the windows next to the "painting doctor"?
It is just a wooden box. I did not align it with the rest just for the sake of reality, people place things not aligned, mess is natural. :)
hitting the ground only sounds after the cut, thus making an odd pause between the cries.
Another trick to avoid falling mask animation which had to be done.
but if he is still supposed to look alive, he needs to move a little,
Yeah, perhaps some slight movement would be okay, but he just leans back, looks at nothing in the distance, thinking about what awaits him, he is frozen in the moment with his thoughts, that was the prime idea behind this.

Level 19
Who are our contestants?

Aproject
Radicool
Arad MNK

Maybes

Proxy
Loner-Magixxar
Chaosy

Have I missed, or misrepresented anyone?

You have missed me but I'm unlikely to be able to finish now even with an extended deadline if it was done.

And APproject your work is amazing, I only wished it was longer so you could have explained the story in a better and detailed way but only 5 mins is accepted :D Details and custom animations are great. And the voice acting was done great as well and the music was good too maybe not too capturing but it was good. I would rate it 5/5 10/10 (I would rate it a perfect 5/7 LoL Brendan :p)

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
Remember to submit the map:

Rules said:
How to Enter
  • Each entrant shall submit one (1) map which has been designed from the World Editor in either Blizzard's "Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos" or "WarCraft III: The Frozen Throne" products.
  • You can use whichever World Editor add-on, as long as the cinematic can be played in the standard version of "Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos" or "Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne" products.
  • To submit a map, submit your entry in the official contest thread. This requires a Hive account, so you must be a member of our community to participate.

Level 35
Also consider me a maybe.. a very maybe.

Thank you for your take on this, Baron. It does have those little detail flaws, I may try to adjust those.
Glad you could use them.. it is all just minor stuff.

Yeah, I have to use this trick to avoid doors going through the doctor, at the same time doctor had to be close enough for his hand to knock. Moving him back wouldn't look good in my opinion.

Understandable.. But I would just be ignoring fire safety rules, which I safely assume weren't applied back then, and have the door open the other way.

It is just a wooden box. I did not align it with the rest just for the sake of reality, people place things not aligned, mess is natural. :)

I yea, I notice the bench now.. due to it slightly intersecting with the bench and matching the color of the house I didn't notice that the box was placed on the bench.

Another trick to avoid falling mask animation which had to be done.

But couldn't you still have the crying continue without the longer break?

Yeah, perhaps some slight movement would be okay, but he just leans back, looks at nothing in the distance, thinking about what awaits him, he is frozen in the moment with his thoughts, that was the prime idea behind this.

Yea, its just the utter lack of movement makes him seem more dead than alive. Admittedly that also lead me to maybe get another possible ending out of it, where it is not another doctor coming in, but death himself - thus his sudden ability to move.

Level 16

APproject (Submitted The Struggle)
Radicool
Arad MNK

Possible Contestants

Proxy
Loner-Magixxar
Chaosy
RED BARON
NightStalker06698
I was planning to post a video next week, but screw it, it is almost a next week. So this is currently my final product, suggestions and critique is appreciated, so that it can change until the deadline.

Looks great. Impressed with all your custom animations. You've done well to paint a picture of the time, but I feel your cinematic could have developed the main character a little more, perhaps by involving him in some kind of other epidemic related activity which expresses this. But hey, it's 5 minute cinematic so its hard to fit as much as you want in these things. You've done really well :)

Level 31
But couldn't you still have the crying continue without the longer break?
What do you mean? The mask fell and instantly he started to cry, or it is something else in your mind?
Yea, its just the utter lack of movement makes him seem more dead than alive. Admittedly that also lead me to maybe get another possible ending out of it, where it is not another doctor coming in, but death himself - thus his sudden ability to move.
But in reality it is easy to stand frozen, I mean in reality human can stand without moving at all, almost frozen as a photo, just very very slight movement to sides that are barely visible, but in WC3 I guess some more movement is needed. As for the ending, I think dying is a bit cliche, so I avoided that. Instead, since sickness became more visible on him, Searchers spotted him being sick, so it is all over already. When Searcher comes and sees the sick or the dead, you know what is going to happen. This ending was more of symbolic idea. :)
Looks great. Impressed with all your custom animations. You've done well to paint a picture of the time, but I feel your cinematic could have developed the main character a little more, perhaps by involving him in some kind of other epidemic related activity which expresses this. But hey, it's 5 minute cinematic so its hard to fit as much as you want in these things. You've done really well :)
Thank you. :) Indeed, main character could have been developed more deeply. What I had in mind at start is the portrayal of one of attempts to heal the sick, which would show how desperate and ridiculous times were. I had in mind at least 2 victims to be visited, at least one with healing attempt, but since it was 5 minutes - it was really impossible. 10 minutes would have made a big difference. :)
Remember to submit the map:
Of course. Will do in 2016.

Level 8

APproject (Submitted The Struggle)
Radicool
Arad MNK

Possible Contestants

Proxy
Loner-Magixxar
Chaosy
RED BARON
NightStalker06698

I might join but I might miss the deadline. Hoping it will be extended but I gotta know soon.

Last edited:
Level 9
This has been my schedule for past couple of days.
Wake up
Breakfast
Edit
Lunch
Edit
Dinner
More Edit
Sleep!
And I'm currently skipping my job!!
Clear enough?
Still I haven't reached the main battle part which takes a LOT of coding and custom animations!
Of course my problems are mine alone, but 2-3 more days is not a big deal I guess!

Status
Not open for further replies.