1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Cinematic Contest #6 - 5 minutes free theme

Discussion in 'Contest Archive' started by Archian, Oct 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chaosy

Chaosy

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I do not use WoW rips in that picture. But yes, they are allowed.

2. Radicool

Radicool

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Interesting how much effort people are putting into their terrains. I hope terrain isn't going to be too important in reviewing process. Its like a movie being rated for its CGI and special effects.

I've always put a focus on developing characters and storyline...

3. Chaosy

Chaosy

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    There is a 5 minute limit, so focusing on story is a bit hard with such a small time frame.

I am yet to read a good (book/novel) story in less than 300 pages, so good luck making it in 100.
    Might be personal preference, idk.

4. iNfraNe

iNfraNe

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Hey guys,

I think it's wonderful that this is getting so much attention! I really hope that we're going to see some "next-gen" warcraft 3 cines coming up. I'm very interested in seeing what you all can come up with.

I'd like to give some general tips on the cinematic making. First of all, there's the technical side of things. At wc3c I long ago posted a general tips thread. This thread might be slightly outdated, but I would like to point out the technical tricks that are available. They are mostly based on you, the maker, controlling every single aspect of the cine (e.g., you should not let warcraft 3 decide which stand animation your character is going to perform). Besides the tips in this thread I would strongly urge you to use either Anitarf's cinematic system (link in first post), or at least to avoid waits, as he pointed out.

A few more tips:
    - camera angles are generally at eye level, as Ani also pointed out. Every other camera angle should serve a specific purpose. For example, to demonstrate the height of a certain cliff, or to demonstrate the huge number of soldiers in an army. In addition, one should avoid abrupt changes in camera movement, with the exception of an instant camera change. The cinema workshop by Anitarf provides a camera movement system which is very powerful. For those working without the cinema workshop, I would advice to avoid panning a camera without instantly changing it beforehand, so as to avoid abrupt changes.

- more on cameras: choose your angles wisely. A camera angle should not surprise the viewer, but should follow up logically on the last one. Once the viewer is unsure what he is looking at, he will spend his focus on deciphering the scene, instead of enjoying the film.

- characters should behave as if they are actually alive. What I mean is, they will react to events in a way that makes sense. This can occur in several situations. For instance, when two characters have a conversation, don't just let the models stand there and play their stand animation while you play a sound of them "talking". The characters can look to different places, maybe walk around a bit. If you require custom animations (which is likely in this case), then make them. Another example is in a 1v1 fight scene. In a 1v1 fight scene, both characters are trying to kill/hurt the other. They are going to do this at the same time. I cannot stress enough that at any point during the entire 5 minutes of the cinematic, the characters on screen should currently be performing an action scripted by you.

- terrain and ambience have a huge impact on the overall feeling of the scene, but only the combination thereof with appropriate music can "tie the room together". Think about the feeling you want to convey and choose terrain/sounds based on that. Try to avoid lengthy terrain show-off sections, we're not remaking planet earth in 5 minutes ;). Low-poly models at the front of the scene do kinda bring down the overall feel, so I would advice against using those in front.

That's all I can think of at the moment. Keep in mind these are just tips. Of course great cines can be made which break my "rules", so if you disagree with something, please prove me wrong! :)

5. APproject

APproject

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    As for 5 minutes story, I would suggest going with characters that are already well known such as Warcraft or WoW lore based (or Sc2 and so on), those characters already has their own story so introductions are not needed for those characters, therefore time is saved. But I fear this way it may lose originality in some sense, or not at all, since this is warcraft community.

Great tips, iNfraNe.

6. Bribe

Bribe

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Keep in mind that Pixar created a better love story in 7 minutes than Twilight did with 5 films.

7. Chaosy

Chaosy

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I could create a better love story than Twilight with a single sentence.

"The end."

Since this did only disappoint you a little bit, you'll likely give it 1/10 or 0/10. Which is better than Twilight which is -1000/10

8. Wietlol

Wietlol

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    But Chaosy, in a book you can make the pages enormous and the text size this small (smaller).
    Which would mean that with 100 pages, you can actually have a 10k page book.

Ofcourse we can speed things up... but that would be horrible in a movie.

9. Arad MNK

Arad MNK

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Can't figure the whole CinemaWorkshop out -__-

Gotta create my own system :p

10. APproject

APproject

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Tiny update on model part. Don't have a tight grip on scenario yet, but I decided to go with plague doctor during epidemic theme. Just a WIP main character mask below, skin may change.

[​IMG]

11. The Algerien

The Algerien

Resources:
    Resources:
    Iceborn maker is part of this? God help us all :goblin_jawdrop:

12. Lambdadelta

Lambdadelta

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Wow. That prize :p Good luck!

And omg Anitarf + Infrane are judges!

I hope to see some amazing cinematics later!

13. Arad MNK

Arad MNK

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Worked on Systems mainly today, and removed LOTS of BJ's. Gonna Work on the Cinematic itself for an hour. WIP's soon.

14. APproject

APproject

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I think I'm done with Plague Doctor model. I even uploaded it here. I know it is rough on some spots, but that's the best I could do.
    Plague Doctor Model
    [​IMG]

15. WhiteFang

WhiteFang

Resources:
    Resources:
    Creepy....

16. Chaosy

Chaosy

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I swear it took me 5 seconds before I noticed you wrote "creepy" and not "crappy" lol

17. WhiteFang

WhiteFang

Resources:
    Resources:
    I would never insult APproject,nor any creator,or their work since I'm lazy and son unmotivated I have more unfinished projects in my WCIII folder than I have hair on my head...

18. that is very neat :)

19. JnM

JnM

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    A warcraft 3 cinematic contest in 2015-2016? Sign me up, I'm feeling like a kid again.

Hats off to Infrane and Anitarf for still kicking around and initiating these fun projects!

20. The World Is Flat

The World Is Flat

Resources:
    Icons:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Looking forward to all the sweet entries!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.