1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The poll for Hive's 12th Concept Art Contest is up! Go cast your vote for your favourite genie!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The raddest synthwave tracks were chosen - Check out our Music Contest #12 - Results and congratulate the winners!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Cinematic Contest #6 - 5 minutes free theme

Discussion in 'Contest Archive' started by Archian, Oct 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. APproject

APproject

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Thread has been quiet for few days. So I will post an update of mine. Already cinematic is 1+ minute in. A screenshot from cinematic below, it is the very first sight viewer will see, on this sight name of cinematic will appear, time and place. Landscape is slightly lighter due to the lightning which will appear for a moment and also making landscape brighter for a moment. One actual scene is complete, but I do not wish to spoil it.

I will be putting special effort into sounds, such as realistic and well timed footsteps, random crying, thunder and so on. I will try to focus more on the feel itself rather than a fighting scene. Also experimenting with custom animations, so far so good.
    First View
    [​IMG]

This should not stop you. Find a way around, or change scenario, it really shouldn't stop you, unless of course you are not feeling like making it. How are we going to reach 20 entries like that? :)

2. NightStalker

NightStalker

Resources:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    You've shut the topic AProject :D That is awesome!

3. Radicool

Radicool

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    This looks fantastic. Are you making all these models and animations yourself? I think I should throw in the towel! I can't model, so I use existing resources. That really limits what I can do.

Good luck with your cinematic. I'm looking forward to watching it!

4. Bribe

Bribe

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    I am still going to participate despite the amazing WIP's that I am seeing on here, and I recommend you guys do the same. Do it for the honor. If you give up you are worse than a loser.

5. APproject

APproject

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Thanks, guys. :) Well, I am not making animations and models from scratch, I but edit those to achieve certain result, so it doesn't require lots of knowledge at all, it just takes time. It should really never stop people from competing, anyone can do what I do, those are not miracles after all, turn it into motivation instead. :) I would like to quote Keiji (cinematic contest applies same as terraining one):

6. Gilles

Gilles

Resources:
    Resources:
    What if you gave up before it started? Am I still a loser? : (

7. Bribe

Bribe

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Just make a lousy cinematic, then watch it and add more lousy stuff. Rinse and repeat. You'll get good ideas out because you're brainstorming. Eventually, you have a mess which you can refine into a beautiful sculpture. You're not doing it to win, you're doing it because you can win.

8. i am really looking forward what the contesttant can make in this contest. :)

9. Arad MNK

Arad MNK

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    WIP #3.

Has a VERY bad contrast but In-game it will be OK as I will use
    SetDayNightModels("", "")
    . That's exactly why (
    SetDayNightModels("", "")
    ) I can't use B2M torches, the flame doesn't show up.

WIP #3
    [​IMG]

EDIT: Ahhh... Nevermind. Fixed it in the editor. Flame problem persists.

WIP #4
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

10. APproject

APproject

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Looking good, Arad. :) Yeah, emitters seem to shut down when that function is used. Maybe it uses Wc3 MPQ material for emitters? Because I fixed it for Arechon's Affliction by importing the fire skin separately into import manager and not taking it from MPQ.

11. Loner-Magixxar

Loner-Magixxar

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Why is it that I import a model into my map and the model works fine in the editor but when I start testing the map it turns into a green cube?
    I place the mdx and its blps in the correct path, but still the green cube appears.
    Any help is appreciated.

12. Gilles

Gilles

Resources:
    Resources:
    Which model are you using?

13. Loner-Magixxar

Loner-Magixxar

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    models that i downloaded from hive and some wow models

EDIT: Never mind, I can make do with original warcraft models.

14. Ebisux

Ebisux

Resources:
    Resources:
    Hope you guys dont focus on salvaging HQ models and creating scenery, and ignore the majority of what really makes a cinematic.
    Arguably, the most successful warcraft 3 cinematic uses mostly warcraft 3 models, and cliffs
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fr3lrxg-2mA

15. Gilles

Gilles

Resources:
    Resources:
    And it looks like ass. Honestly, I'd sooner watch a mediocre story that looked as good as one can in wc3, than a great story that looks like that. I know everyone loves a good'ol fashion "graphics aren't everything" circlejerk, but they still count for a lot in my books.

Also I <3 terrain so I'm biased.

16. NightStalker

NightStalker

Resources:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    A good cinematic should have both decent story and decent graphics. But we're talking about war3 here, some people can't find/don't have time to find hq models. And if you put a few hq models in then you'll have to reconsider the rest of the models you'll be putting in. It needs time, and some of us don't have that much. But ofc this is what separates the good and the bad too. Since this is a 5 minutes cinematic contest, I dont think graphics will disturb you much.

17. Gilles

Gilles

Resources:
    Resources:
    Look, Ebisux post just rubbed me the wrong way. Unfortunately I've become sensitive about graphics. I've heard too many people talk about how graphics don't matter or that they don't make a game (hint: they matter to me) and his post just triggered me.

Also he might just be trying to be helpful, but I don't see why he has any reason to think that anyone is sacrificing story or whatever he thinks is "the majority of what really makes a cinematic."

Consider the difference rephrasing his post makes. "Those WIPs look good. If the other aspects of your cinematic live up to those standards, you'll have one amazing entry!"

You make the same point, but I don't get pissy. :p

They will. I wouldn't bother watching something that looks awful.

18. Ebisux

Ebisux

Resources:
    Resources:
    I was just showing my example because it seemed like the conversation on here became focused on models, where people were get discouraged by terrain pictures:
    "I think I should throw in the towel! I can't model, so I use existing resources."
    "I am still going to participate despite the amazing WIP's that I am seeing on here."
    So I just gave an example of a successful cinematic where a single screenshot of a scene wouldnt mean much.

19. The World Is Flat

The World Is Flat

Resources:
    Icons:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I don't want to derail the thread too much, but just on the theory here I'm 100% with you. A cinematic relies heavily on imagery to convey meaning and information. Models that are poor in quality heavily impact the ability of the viewer to become either immersed or even understand whatever narrative you are on.

That being said, I'm actually a fan of the original models. They are mostly composed with clean meshes and well wrapped textures that minimize visual noise. A lot of "HQ" textures and meshes are poorly composed relative to the textures of the game that they are presented within and they have a lot of very contrasted, noisy textures.

The most important thing to understand is that every part of the composition of your cinematic needs to be on the same level or else you're gonna find a bottleneck. You can be pretty and have a decent narrative, but if your audio is horrible, the experience isn't going to be that great. Same with graphics: if you have a good narrative and sound, but your visual experience doesn't hit the mark, the entire composition is not going to be good.

20. APproject

APproject

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    That's true, graphics, sound and nerrative must be the same level, and what I do is not portraying a whole cinematic in my WIPs. In WIPs I just give visual information, that's how I imagine a WIP, because why would I post unit transmissions, voice acting, footsetps in the puddle sounds, spoil important scenery and so on. Terrain and Models are the least spoiling material, that's why I post that and not texts about nerratives or sounds. Demotivation is the least what I want to achieve, if those WIPs demotivate people, I can stop posting it, no problem with me.

Ebisux's posted video contains lots of video editing that is impossible in this contest, I would like to see those visual effects such as blurs and colors or screen size adjustments directly played from Warcraft 3, instead of youtube.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.