• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Cinematic Contest #6 - 5 minutes free theme

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
A couple questions for the guys in charge:

1. Could the first place winner split how the prize money is awarded? For example; half of the money is given as a Steam gift card, and the other half is donated to the Hive.

2. Since the cinematic can't exceed 5 minutes, would it still be alright to extend credits past the 5 minute mark?

1. I think it should be possible. I also think it should be possible to split the gift card with a participant. I will talk with the winner about whatever they desire. We are not forcefully restricting any of this and will do what is within our ability when the time comes.

2. I would say yes, but the judges decide. iNfraNe says yes, but let's hear Anitarf too.

Level 7
Normally, credits are included in the runtime of movies, but I wouldn't insist on that. We don't want to encourage a situation where submitted cinematics skimp on the credits in order to add extra seconds to cinematic runtime. Thus, I agree that credits shouldn't count towards the five minute limit.

Level 9
And by the way, here is a WIP compared to an early version.
I used your advice and improved it. Thank you for your feedback.
Untitled.png

And another thing to mention: Is it cool to use floating text for telling the story and the dialogues, just like It's shown in the picture?
The reason behind this choice is to keep the eyes of the watcher on the cinematic itself instead of shifting it to the cinematic dialogue at the bottom and making them miss out the scenes while reading it.

I tried using the code Vladadamm gave us for writing texts anywhere on the screen but it kinda doesn't work! No matter what coordination I gave to the code the text sticks to the left side of the screen like in-game messages.

I won't post any WIPs anymore! Because that will spoil the cinematic for you.

Level 9
You can use custom Fade Filters just with text you want. This way text would look more clean and any font can be used.

I've already ruled out fade filter for two reasons:
1) I'm already using filters for every scene
2) I want the text to be typed gradually letter by letter, can't use fade after fade for every letter.

The best way to keep eyes of viewer from the text is to do the voice acting though.

I don't have anyone to voice act with, even don't have a decent microphone to record them. So, not likely.

Level 31
Every scene has a certain fade filter Faded Out when text appears? Then it won't work indeed. You don't have to voice act yourself or with your microphone, just find someone who will do it for you. Crack, solve and stomp problems, never look for excuses.

Level 6
I'll post this resource again: DisplayCenteredText

To use it: convert a trigger to text, copy&paste this in (make sure you're using JNGP). Then instead of using the standard Game Display Message, use:
either
JASS:
function DisplayCenteredTextToPlayer takes player toPlayer, real y, string message returns nothing
or
JASS:
function DisplayTimedCenteredTextToPlayer takes player toPlayer, real y, real duration, string message returns nothing
examples:
JASS:
call DisplayCenteredTextToPlayer(GetLocalPlayer(),0.,0.,"I'm a centered subtitle!")
call DisplayTimedCenteredTextToPlayer(GetLocalPlayer(),0.,5.,"I'm a centered subtitle that displays for 5 seconds!")

About voiceacting: using a bad microphone with no experience at all in voiceacting will probably make the cine worse instead of better. You'll need condenser microphones with popfilters to do good quality voiceacting, and knowledge on how to make voices seem natural. In general, the technical side of voiceacting is already quite difficult (many tuts on youtube about compression and equalizing). Then there's still the acting part. You'll actually need to ACT to voiceact. Just saying the line is not gonna work.

On the other hand... dialogue without sound is also not good. I think we're dealing with 2 bad options here ;)

Just don't expect to get bonuspoints because you "at least tried" voiceacting. Let's say i'll probably judge bad voiceacting the same as no voiceacting. Of course, if the voiceacting is actually GOOD, that'll win some points!

Last edited:
Level 19
make sure you're using JNGP

I only use vanilla WE can I not use this?

About voiceacting: using a bad microphone with no experience at all in voiceacting will probably make the cine worse instead of better. You'll need condenser microphones with popfilters to do good quality voiceacting, and knowledge on how to make voices seem natural. In general, the technical side of voiceacting is already quite difficult (many tuts on youtube about compression and equalizing). Then there's still the acting part. You'll actually need to ACT to voiceact. Just saying the line is not gonna work.

On the other hand... dialogue without sound is also not good. I think we're dealing with 2 bad options here ;)

I know voice acting is not easy :D Most of the professional voice actors out there took some acting lessons or singing lessons so they know how to act or how to use their voice effectively.

For example, I think I'm a bad actor :D and even though I have knowledge in music I don't know how to use my own voice! But with a better mic I will be able to at least express the feelings through my speech at some amateur level :p

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
If we capture a sound effect, say a whiplash, from a movie or someplace else, are we still required to give credits to the place we captured them?

This brings us directly back to licensing. Once again you have to make sure that you have permission to use this sound. Taking it from a movie you have to buy is most likely against their license.

Level 16
So can we use sound effects that people have uploaded in youtube for everyone or we should get a license for them too?

It depends. If the uploader of the sound effect on youtube said you can use his/her sound/music, then you may do so. If he/she does not mention you can use it, then you must ask them. Sometimes there may be conditions for using their sound which the owner should specify. For example look here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZu4PqYQ734

Somebody asked within the comments section:

"So, are free to use these whooshes in projects or the like? Because I REALLY like one of these and want to use it in an intro."

The owner replied:

"Yes you can use it Please don't forget to Subscribe :)"

So you are allowed to use this woosh sound effect within your cinematic. Don't forget to credit the owner.

Level 7
Don't forget, there were plenty of great silent films made before they figured out how to make sound work. Of course, those relied a lot on the body language of actors which our limited set of animations will find difficult to replicate.

One thing we do have control over is the facing of the head bone. We can add a lot of life to a character with this. We can make them react to events happening around them, we can have them maintain or break eye contact during dialogue, they can look down or up when in thought... You should be moving the heads of the characters just as much if not more than playing their animations.

Level 16
I don't have anyone to voice act with, even don't have a decent microphone to record them. So, not likely.

I'm not going to having voice acting in my cinematic. Voice acting is nice, but it takes a lot of time and resources to do it properly. I've seen plenty of cinematics around with poor voice acting and I think it would have been better if they had written dialogue instead. I don't have any fitting friends to voice act my characters. I'm using floating text to display the speech within my cinematic. Don't worry too much if you choose not to have voice acting. As iNfraNe said, your score won't be affected simply because you choose to have written dialogue.

Level 9
I guess it's gonna take too much time acquiring permission for all the simple (1 second) sound effects that there will be little time for me to complete the cinematic!! Because I use lots of them for every scene.

Maybe I should quit. It seems there is too much in the box when you try to make a cinematic.

PS. And this one last half finished WIP for you.
Untitled.jpg

Last edited:
Level 31
Personally it is extremely annoying for me to read the text in a cinematic, especially when it has A LOT of it. If cinematic has no voice acting, text amount should be minimized, just personal taste. Because viewer focus more on text rather than events, and that just kills it for me, I suppose for other people too.
Maybe I should quit. It seems there is too much in the box when you try to make a cinematic.
Don't. Just make sure it is not licensed and not forbidden to use. Almost all sound effects that are free to download or being posted on such as Youtube (those are usually made for creators such as we are) are free to use for non-profit purposes, such as making this cinematic. If you get a sound effect through a free download, it is always free. Taking sounds from movies is always licensed, so don't do that.

Level 16
I guess it's gonna take too much time acquiring permission for all the simple (1 second) sound effects that there will be little time for me to complete the cinematic!! Because I use lots of them for every scene.

A lot of sound effect videos mention the terms of use within the video's description. A lot don't require you to ask and wait for the authors permission. Keep at it, I'm keen to watch the finished product!

Check out SounfEffectsArchive. Pretty much all his stuff is free to use, even commerically.

Random Sword Sound:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3liPsg21Cg

Use a free program like audacity to crop, copy, amplify, dim or add other effects to sounds.

Audacity Link: http://www.audacityteam.org/

Personally it is extremely annoying for me to read the text in a cinematic, especially when it has A LOT of it. If cinematic has no voice acting, text amount should be minimized, just personal taste. Because viewer focus more on text rather than events, and that just kills it for me, I suppose for other people too.

I definitely agree with you. Voice acting is superior to written dialogue, but only when its done well. In my opinion, poor voice acting will degrade the quality of a cinematic. I can't take a cinematic seriously with unrealistic voice acting.

I watch a bit of subbed anime here and there, so I'm use to reading dialogue. To each their own.

I wonder how I'm gonna find out what is what...

Lol, good luck :)

Deleted member 238226

D

Deleted member 238226

PS. And this one last half finished WIP for you.
View attachment 150839

that castle looks pretty badass. good job.

Level 36
Why are people still using the B2M high res pack, UTM doodads and/or no imports at all
for their terrains, when we've since then gotten amazing resources like:

- The Stone and Sword Pack by Talavaj
- Refuge in Ruin by oGre_
- The most beautiful tiles by Nan0
- The Sc2 Conversion Pack by tobyfat50

I seriously don't get it, all your entries, or most of them anyway, could have looked
so much better with just a little bit more research and a little more work >.>

Come on, guys, you're fighting for $150 here, put your backs into it!

Disclaimer: This complaint does not concern all the participants, just most of you.

Level 9
Why are people still using the B2M high res pack, UTM doodads and/or no imports at all
for their terrains, when we've since then gotten amazing resources like:

- The Stone and Sword Pack by Talavaj
- Refuge in Ruin by oGre_
- The most beautiful tiles by Nan0
- The Sc2 Conversion Pack by tobyfat50

I seriously don't get it, all your entries, or most of them anyway, could have looked
so much better with just a little bit more research and a little more work >.>

Come on, guys, you're fighting for $150 here, put your backs into it!

Disclaimer: This complaint does not concern all the participants, just most of you.

Simply vote for your favorite participant that has used your favorite models.

Level 31
EDIT: It's getting even worse.
I usually have this kind of stuff as well, but it never raise any problem for me. Because when I make one camera, I always put it to use in Triggers and only when I am completely done with that shoot, I move to another camera, so this way it is easy to track camera names and you don't need to struggle searching for the right angle (basically working with 1-2 at the time). If you put many cameras prematurely, it is really a disaster, at least it would be for me.
Simply vote for your favorite participant that has used your favorite models.
You completely missed his point.

Level 9
You completely missed his point.
On the contrary, I know what he's trying to say. But I've already mentioned in this thread that this is a WC3/SC2 not a WoW or elder scrolls or whatever mod contest. So, some people like me want to stay true to WC3 and use other models only if they can't find a proper model in WC3 or Hive.
I think there's nothing that he doesn't get!

Level 31
WC3 is only an engine we are using to come up with cinematic, this contest has no rule of making it WC3 themed. I am going with 17th century realistic portrayal of plague epidemic, this got nothing to do with WC3, same goes for models, there is no rule to make it look oldschool WC3, use anything you wish as long as it is licensed.

You can use anything you wish, if you deem WC3 themed models is good for you - go ahead, it is your choice. But no one will vote for the usage of better models just because it has better texture, what is important - the end result. Make something great with WC3 themed models and no HQ model will match you, you are simply more likely to do better with HQ models, it is easier to get a better end result, just that.

Level 36
But I've already mentioned in this thread that this is a WC3/SC2 not a WoW or elder scrolls or whatever mod contest.

It is quite possible to make a warcraft themed entry with high quality models, you don't
have to commit to the crude looking, 12 year old models that the editor offers for that.
And, besides, using community made models and doodads is a way of promoting the
modding community. But hey, it's your entry, you can make whatever you want.

I just don't think you'll win the money-bag that way, is all.
And I wanted to inform people of the amazing resources available
to them through a little unconventional means. (Not in the model's
section.)

Good luck, though, anyhow!

Level 11
Just my thoughts, and agreeing with Keiji - At the very least you should consider using the UTM 3.0 (or 4.0) from the terrain board for this contest if it's allowed, (I don't see why it wouldn't be).

I think the resources available and time allowed to everyone for a prize like this give you no excuse to use the standard editor and models/doodads etc, regardless of how well the story is written. It would be different if this contest were 10 years ago, but there's simply so much more available now to make high quality cinematics that it's hard to justify not utilizing those resources.

However do what you feel is the best for you... I will admit that Story is better in a lot of cases.

Level 11
I agree with AP, it does look kind of flat and I also think you could add pebbles or small rocks to the road to add detail.
This is just an opinion, but I also think you may have a few too many lamp posts. Other than that I think it looks very nice Arad, good job.

On another note, I think this scene could look really awesome in darkness with some fog.

Level 7
The lamp posts seem a bit short compared to the houses. There also seem to be a bit too many, as has been already mentioned. I'd remove half of them in an alternating pattern.

Level 28
Hey guys I was lurking at this thread for some months now and got really excited about your entries! Ideas started to come and go as I saw your stuff and now I decided I'm joining too :D

I fooled around the editor this week and came up with this WIP

The terrain is preliminary, I'm more concerned with getting the actions triggered at the moment.
attachment.php

I've also made the preliminar version of the preview image, as I came up with the script and the title of the cinematic

attachment.php

Now... it is time to rush! (I'm just hoping I'll end it before the deadline hehehe)

Attachments

• WIP.png
    WIP.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 318
  • Poster512x512.png
    Poster512x512.png
    308.8 KB · Views: 327
Level 17
Looks great. I hope even more join this :)

EDIT: Thanks to Tobyfat50, now I can have the waterfall reflection... YES.

EDIT 2: Is the WIP better now, or worse?
Added Pebbles (thanks Tobyfat50!) and bumps and removed some light posts and made them bigger.

attachment.php

Attachments

• WIP 16.PNG
    WIP 16.PNG
    2.6 MB · Views: 294
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.