• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Solo Mapping Competition #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
- Very attractive reward, for I myself always wanted to get in that buisness!! So, I will put aside all the things I was working on and focus on this contest (First Contest).

- Within 3 days 34 pages of posts and just keep growing, indeed this will be a great contest! I just hope that my confidence and skills will allow me to win.

So, whats the optimal number of traps. 30-40? I don't want to over do or under do.

I would say that depends on the quality of your traps. The end result has to be at least 60 minutes of play time, so that depends on how time consuming your traps are.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well I couldn't find an icon of a Dragon Eye, so I tried to make one myself, pretty terrible if I must say so but whatever it'll do.

7f40237534a85bfe945813e1886a7270_22382.bmp

Level 11
Ok WIP time. 2 are just terrain. One with the runes is a trap place. Not triggered yet, so I can walk on it for now.

Attachments

• WC3ScrnShot_010110_163417_01.jpg
    WC3ScrnShot_010110_163417_01.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 101
  • WC3ScrnShot_010110_163423_02.jpg
    WC3ScrnShot_010110_163423_02.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 112
  • WC3ScrnShot_010110_163433_03.jpg
    WC3ScrnShot_010110_163433_03.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 104
Level 11
Ye, but that is not frost, its crystal. It looks better in game, And I will not have any naga related terrain. This is just an old temple with nothing to do with naga.

And trap is is very simple. Find a way across. Eachtrapdeals150 dmg, so you can't afford mistakes.

I also plan on having real riddles. You find a door, and have to answer a real riddle before you can go thro. Else your stuck.
I planed on having this as a riffle, but its too simple:What color is blue and yellow. But its too easy...
I got an idea for source of em ^^

Level 11
Ok, great, you 2 that spotted solution, pm me them. I will tell you are they right ^^

Just want to know should it be more complicated.

Oh, and if you stared at the picture for 5 minutes, that's long enough. That means I need 11 more puzzles like that an GG ^^

Level 25
Oh, foot activating traps, original :p

Also i dislike the fact people think alike when working on the puzzles, it is not all about putting your foot on the right place lol :3

Anyway it is your choice, i am gonna have unique traps, coded in jass as separate spells :D

Also i am thinking about 30 trap types should be enough, no? :p

EDIT:
@Amigurumi

Looks nice =)

Level 11
Well, I will have puzzles. You will have to answer them so the door opens.
You will have serious traps. They can stop your advance and kill ya. Just like my floor there (redone, harder now, i hope).
There will be also small traps. They are single, simple foot activation.
And I will have puzzles. They will involve moving objects and stuff. I hope I can trigger that xD

Here is a fun fact in my map:

The chandeliers are triggered! xP

They are gonna be made dynamicaly, so they swing around and such :D

I was thinking about triggering waterfalls in my map since I can't find a good waterfall model (only in some rooms). Just make a bunch of small water particles and constantly decrease their flying height until its 0 then remove it.

I don't mean that it's to hard to make, it's to hard for the player. He only have to miss
a pipe with a mouse click, and you have to do the whole thing again.

Just make it so you can't walk off of them

Great.. single player contest didn't know that.
I'm deffo out because I just don't like single player maps. No tention or anything in a single player map. Well then I can safely give away my idea for a map. Maybe I will even make this withoud a contest then.
Try playing "This Wreckage" and I'm sure you'll see what can really be done with single player ;D

Well I couldn't find an icon of a Dragon Eye, so I tried to make one myself, pretty terrible if I must say so but whatever it'll do.

7f40237534a85bfe945813e1886a7270_22382.bmp

Search for Kimberly/Werewulf's dragon icons pack on WC3C. There's a good dragon eye icon in there.

pyritiejobs.gif

I was thinking about triggering waterfalls in my map since I can't find a good waterfall model (only in some rooms). Just make a bunch of small water particles and constantly decrease their flying height until its 0 then remove it.

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/models-530/waterfallfx-49397/ maybe? I think triggering waterfalls is just wasting time

YourNameHere said:
The red light looks neat, is that some model?
yes it is
Kingz said:
It comes from a tunnel, it just can't be viewed from that picture :p

It comes from a shatered tunnel which entrance is destroyed under the presure of the water and there is some debris near that entrance.

Ahhh, I see :p

Level 9
- I started just great! After 3 hours of searching the perfect model/skin to base my whole theme on, I started feeling sick and gave up... I'm working on the story now with success.

- I just wanted to ask ('cause it's my first competition, as I mentioned before) how often and when should I start providing WIP's?

- I started just great! After 3 hours of searching the perfect model/skin to base my whole theme on, I started feeling sick and gave up... I'm working on the story now with success.

- I just wanted to ask ('cause it's my first competition, as I mentioned before) how often and when should I start providing WIP's?

When you feel like it. When you have something to share. Some of your nice terrain, a nice idea for a puzzled you have made or something other. Share, when you feel like it. You just have to show atleast one WiP ;)

WaterfallFX maybe? I think triggering waterfalls is just wasting time

That actually looks worse then the bliz waterfall model if you ask me, also it doesn't solve my problem. I need large VERTICAL waterfalls, which the arch shape of those models can't handle without distorting the crap out of them with the dimensions.

Search for Kimberly/Werewulf's dragon icons pack on WC3C. There's a good dragon eye icon in there.

Well Ill take a look at it, but I'm never going to get better at making icons using other people ones. Yeah I know the one I presented needs a LOT of work, but Ill try fixing it the best I can. If I can't come up with something good by the dead line I'll use the one you showed.

I think it looks a bit ugly, but i can't decide.

Meh, I don't particularly like the UTM waterfall model (as I have already stated) but its up to you.

Here is some water added to the first area :p

I think it looks a bit ugly, but i can't decide.

Try changing the color... maybe you could try changing the material to additive and overlay different colored ones on top of each other
And/or maybe stick WC3's regular waterfall underneath

Also to whoever suggested having "lives" before you have to start the map again: I really hate systems like those but keep in mind people can just save the game so that kinda defeats the purpose of a system like that :/

Level 35
Also to whoever suggested having "lives" before you have to start the map again: I really hate systems like those but keep in mind people can just save the game so that kinda defeats the purpose of a system like that :/

Instead of a live system, why not just have a revive system.. so you will never have to loser it all totally and restart the map when you fail (assuming its a puzzle map that kills.) Yea - saving and loading would work also, but you can spare some time and pain if you forget to save.

Meh, having problems with my statue floating on top of the pressure switches. This statue starts on the switch, and as you can see ends up floating for some odd reason. When your character walks over the same switch it looks fine. The switch starts out dead and is pressed down so why does the statue float?

(Btw, thats from the Free View option I had put in the game, though I think I'm gonna remove it. Doodads start to get buggy when you view them from angles like that)

Attachments

• FloatingStatue.jpg
    FloatingStatue.jpg
    352.2 KB · Views: 122
Status
Not open for further replies.