• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

WARCRAFT III: REFORGED PATCH NOTES

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 20
they did announce diablo immortal, remaster will split their revenues
Not really. Immortal will most likely be a freemium game, just like other mobile titles, i.e. free to play plus greedy microtransactions. The audience for that doesn't mix with the core D2 fanbase all that much. Plus, freemium games make the bulk of their money from "big spenders", who are unlikely to leave once they make a sufficient investment. Losing other, i.e. more casual, players would be pretty insignificant in terms of Immortal's revenue numbers.

if you still hope for remaster
There's a difference between thinking something might happen and hoping that it will :)

Level 16
This is my favourite recent bug report so far. Unbelievable. Who were those who defended SD in rEfoRGed?

More SD related issues:

I'm still baffled by Blizzards capacity to destroy two games with one shot. It's like shooting yourself in both feet at the same time. They should've at least aimed for the head. I'd like to see something like this happen to WoW, and then maybe we'd get the support we need to fucking drown Blizzard for this sin.

Level 20
Diablo 3 was actually a side project, and they were in no rush to release it.
Your logic is backwards - developing games is costly. No company is going to provide years worth of funding and development resources to a project unless they think it's a major one. And Diablo 3 was in development for many years, ergo - it was a big project. Maybe not as big as WoW, but still definetely up there.

Level 5
I'm glad peeps buried the hatchet. No need for bloodshed on hive.
You just need to throw rocks at Blizztard and Bobby Kotick.

no no no
do not jump into his claim i have never accused such, i did say others join his wagon not he recruited others to his wagon

this is the exact thing thats been going on so much through this whole thing

I did jump on the hate reforged bandwagon. Not on the 'drakpanda is a fanboy' wagon.

bad! BAD STAFF!
dont incite things

Lol.

NO! no more mobile shit, diablo was bad enough

As I stated before, we learned how Activizard is a company like its competition... and its doing all the things the competition is doing.

Your logic is backwards - developing games is costly. No company is going to provide years worth of funding and development resources to a project unless they think it's a major one. And Diablo 3 was in development for many years, ergo - it was a big project. Maybe not as big as WoW, but still definetely up there.

You're still off. Not even a major project is enough to convince sponsors and shareholders.
You have to talk MICROTRANSACTIONS - LOOT BOXES - GAMBLING FOR KIDS - PATIENCE TEST GAMES

Then, and only then do you make shareholders wet. And those are the people in the back who give all the
bad decisions about development, especially with lil fat piggy on the top like Bobby Kotick making it all go to shit.

Level 9
I think they should just refund the game to everyone and restore the classic client then cancel Wc3 Refunded by removing it from battle.net launcher. I do not want them to patch it this week to fix bugs as some people here want. I just want them to remaster wc3 once again from scratch. I want them to remaster the game like they remastered starcraft.
Edit: TLDR Blizz should:
1) Restore the classic client
2) Refund and cancel Reforged...Remove it from Bnet client and forget it
3) Remaster wc3 again with Blizzard quality

Last edited:
Level 20
I think they should just refund the game to everyone and restore the classic client then cancel Wc3 Refunded by removing it from battle.net launcher.
Your expectations are very unrealistic - there's no way they are going to completely remake Reforged. The best we can hope for is that eventually they will bring back all the missing features, stabilize the game and fix inconsistencies between Reforged SD and Classic. Maybe touch up on graphics a bit too, if we're lucky.

P.S. I'm ready to take the hammer :p

Level 5
My bad, should have clarified that my "major" project I meant one that brings in a lot of money.

Good point. Its either all the money or no money.

You're all acting like kids lol. Next off-topic post (i.e not about the patch notes) is getting the hammer.

It's hammer time?

Your expectations are very unrealistic - there's no way they are going to completely remake Reforged. The best we can hope for is that eventually they will bring back all the missing features, stabilize the game and fix inconsistencies between Reforged SD and Classic. Maybe touch up on graphics a bit too, if we're lucky.

P.S. I'm ready to take the hammer :p

They will eventually patch it, but by that time maybe EA will make more games with loot boxes
and everyone will forget warcraft 3 unfinished ever existed.

That's lost invested money.

Yep.

And be done with this site as well if censorship ensues.

Yep. I mean, its already hammer time.

uhhh any word on desync issue that some maps have?

kinda want to get back into working on my shitmaps again but the two i was working on both insta desync omegalul

Same here, all Bobby Kotick jokes aside, I also want to upload my shit maps in reforged, as broken as cesspool as it is.
Do I just, save the map with the new editor ? And upload it where? How? I have so many questions!!!

Level 9
That doesn't work. Starcraft had sprites and no 3d models as far as i can remember. That is why they had to upgrade the engine and mess up classic graphics. Well.. they didn't have to. You know what i mean
They could have done that...You know what I mean...

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
They could have done that...You know what I mean...

Looks blurry af.

1) Restore the classic client
2) Refund and cancel Reforged...Remove it from Bnet client and forget it
3) Remaster wc3 again with Blizzard quality

2 and 3 wont happen, it does not make any amount of sense.
Who in their right mind would spend millions on development only to either remove it or start over completely which effective gains them the same result.
It would either double the development cost which simply wont pass by the economics department, or it would be throwing millions down the drain which also hardly would be approved.

The first option feels like it should be doable with minimal work but with some drawbacks, but I don't think they will do that either.

Last edited:

Ardenaso

HD Model Reviewer
Level 32
When did they actually follow advice?

I made a post in the official forums begging Blizzard to fix the inconsistencies and lo! the Darkspear and Stratholme suggestions were actually answered

Then the whole thing becomes more hilarious and sad, Activision-Blizzard have been on their hand and knees trying to entice the Chinese market, and they gave a flying fuck about their efforts, i'm going to guess that the next step to get a gain from Reforged assets is a mobile game.

Yeh it was same with World of Warcraft mists of PANDAria :)
Blizzard selling themself as shameless whore but chinese did not care :)

It's even earlier than that: the reason why the Blood Elves joined the Horde because the Chinese players pressured Blizzard into putting a "pretty female race" for their in-game wives.

I mean they had one job:
a) make W3 HD and not touch anything else OR (especially not touch old W3)
b) make W4

Many of us actually wanted two separate campaigns:
  • one with Classic campaign with just HD graphics, same voices, same doodad vomit in Lordaeron, same chapters and none reworked - this one would be the historical relic, a time capsule, to showcase the old campaign - and to appease the purists
  • one with Reforged campaign with updated voices, all reworked chapters, new voicelines and dialogues - to appease the WoW fanboys and those looking for more built-in assets like models, skins, doodads, terrains, voicelines, etc.

Level 4
Most Chinese players don't give a fxxx about which Wc3 version is the official one.They are used to downloading pirate version(earlier than 1.27) to play at multiple 3rd-party platforms.Take a look at the screenshot of our twitch-like site:

View attachment 346007
As you can see,none of our streamers are playing Reforged.Only those who have signed some contracts with Blizzard/Netease are willing to stream Reforged occasionally.Oh by the way,never mind the numbers of our live audience,you know,we Chinese are really good at faking numbers.

On the other hand,Netease Platform,the official agent of Blizzard in mainland China,is still supporting 1.27a with tons of microtransactions.One or two registered companies have been established recently to promote the monetizing of custom maps.So...unfortunately yeah,the new EULA seems like a shxx paper to Chinese players.

From my point of view,yes they do.The motive of initiating project Wc3:R was always about Chinese market.

Remember these threads?
China:Warcraft 3 Social Media Account Activated
1.27 has been confirmed
The Future of Warcraft

Well, that explains it, they're after Chinabux and everyone else has to be the guinea pigs for their broken game.

It looks like it's intended to get the Chinese players off classic versions and onto a DRM locked platform by killing off the classic client altogether. Chances are they will get Netease to kill off 1.27 as well, and who knows about non-Chinese servers like Eurobattle?

And since it's shown that they happily pirate the game, Actiblizzion will hold on to online DRM like Gollum coated in krazy glue. Truly a sad day for game archivists.

Last edited:
Level 16

"Not bad at all" Sounds like one of those infomercials.

Guys, I remember a game that went to a sale a short time after launch. They did this because the game was very unsuccesful at launch. Do you think Reforged will go to sale soon? If so, how much is it going to be?

Knowing Blizzard, I'd say that is way off their usual act. But really anything is possible at this point.

Out of curiosity, is Metacritic banned in China? Because that's where it would actually have an effect on Actiblizzion.
Afaik, as others have mentioned, China just don't give a fuck about Reforged.
Other:
Want to talk about inconsistencies? In the Prologue, bonus campaign, where players fight the naga witch: The siege golems have fortified defense and siege attack, but they can only attack buildings. Yes it was sad to watch them roll around in awkwardness whilst it looked totally bugged.

Level 6
is Metacritic banned in China?
No,Metacritic is not banned,but only a few Chinese players have left comments and scored Wc3:R on that site.Thanks god,or Metacritic would have suffered from the power of our 50 cent army.

There are two kinds of Wc3 players in China:Those who are still playing pirate version on 3rd-party platforms don't care(or don't even bother to realize) the current mess,they represent the majority of Chinese players.However the minority,who were eager to enjoy the fresh-new-no-microtransaction version,are just as upset as you guys.Refunding is also a hot topic in Chinese communities of Warcraft.

Level 3
Don't forget Blizzard bans use of the word "booty", completely forgetting the fact "Booty Bay" is a major city in WoW and one of the main maps in Warcraft 3

Reminds me of a few years ago when they tried to ban one Youtuber named "Lazypeon" because the word "peon" might be offensive despite the fact "lazy peons" are literally quest NPCs in the WoW orc starting area

Level 13
Three (edit: Four) more datamined models missing in game:
889854.jpg

889867.jpg

889903.jpg
889865.jpg
I can understand about some creeps, but this! They are the main protagonists of not one, but two Campaigns. I mean c'mo Blizzard. This just doesn't make any sense!!!

To me this shows just how much the devs cared about the game. Of course the suits are mostly to blame, but the devs deserve some scorching as well!

Edit: Here is Bellular basically explaining the whole sitch about Reforged (*cough*trasing it*cough*), apart from saying that only the suits are to blame (imo the devs are as well, maybe not as much, but still) he basically says it all:

Last edited:
Level 10
Intro

Its been two years since I posted on here. So I will first off by saying "Hello I am back!"

And to start off with my impression : Yes Reforged is bad. Warcraft 3 is Dead!

I honestly do not care, I tried it for an hour, got a refund and haven't looked back. So most of this is just me gathering information from friends, peers, and just general commentary. An hour of play is pretty generous to only gain from a game, but after several game-breaking bugs. I called it quits. Why? Because there were no changes to the campaigns, and all the missing features I had encountered just made me feel. Yeah this isn't for me. (Graphical or otherwise)

I had little to no hope for the release of this remaster. Because I wasn't sure what it was... was it a remaster? or a remake?

Honestly the difference between the two is pretty drastic. The marketing sure didn't help in that regard in terms of what it really was. Or any material accompanying the games prior release.

So what was it?

First off, the patch itself downgrades the game which is pretty sucky. Losing my custom campaigns I had worked for the last two years, and lan support is the main reason I am posting on here. All my friends and I would get together every month and play a lan game of warcraft 3. Now we don't have that luxury its gone. And now we can't even use our own custom maps cause we use them for gameplay prototypes for our games. (which is a really common tactic by the way for game development!) Plus its also fun to have a workable proto-prototype and see mechanics we would enjoy having. Now we have to move our planning to tabletop simulator and most of our fun times with friends away from warcraft and blizzard products as most of us have a bad taste in our mouth with the EULA and patch itself.

My friends and I studied Digital Animation, I can tell you right off the models and objects lack a cohesive art direction. Individually the models are beautiful, but ingame side by side with other models, they lack any real sense of unity that the original models had. Buildings feel extremely clunky in their design, and death animations linger a bit too long for them really and look more like legos falling apart than a building. Explosions and Sound Effects are basically the same which sounds really clunky with these new models. There is a tonal difference between the sounds which makes them appear very cartoony to the point of hilarity. Yet all death animations have new sounds! Except for the combat sounds!

The Terrian is abysmal to the point of hilarity. There is no way that the terrain is remastered to any decent industry standard. I could take a photo of the grass outside and make a better texture in five minutes. There is also the detailing on the map feeling very flat in their placement. They just replaced models for no rhyme or reason, they put no effort into re-adjusting the maps to fit the new models or textures.

Campaigns - The Campaigns are exactly the same except for five or six missions? And introducing new bugs! My favorite one is you can now camp malganis for unlimited belts of strength. Then there are also the issues overall with the mechanical nature of the game, there are wider open spaces that you cannot take advantage of as there is no flanking damage or updates to the base game mechanics. It is exactly the same gameplay and exact same game as before.

The UI is basic, bland, and uninteresting, as a UX designer, I wonder if they spent any meaningful time on it, but as I can see they haven't. It was clearly rushed...

So is it a remaster? Or a Remake? It is a Remaster, the fact they promised more is a bit disingenuous and hilarious but I expected as much. It was overpromised which is a tale as old as 2017. Every game that promises too much is bound to fail. This project was steeped with scope creep the which I have seen in Fallout 76 and No Man's Sky. The overhyping drowned any chance this game had before it even had time to prove itself.

Conclusion

This game speaks to me like a game that was half baked. It was released before it was ready, it might've been because they needed a first quarterly release for financial reasons. It feels unfinished in that it was not tested in any meaningful way past the few things players had access to. Models, Textures, Maps, Campaigns all seem half-finished and detailed, graphics options are completely missing. It reminds me quite a bit about the release of Bioware's Mistakes (Andromeda, Anthem) or any rushed game from the past 20 years. A lot of promise but a horrible landing.

I am left with a bad taste in my mouth. For which I am okay for getting banned from this post and what I have said. I honestly cannot go back and play one of my favorite games ever because of this remaster. That is disappointing but what is more disappointing is what the game could've been. How many missing original dev maps that were planned for the original warcraft 3. The number of quests that are missing in the original game that were disabled because of lack of time. They will now never see the light of day. So many incredible details that will never be experienced by players. So many useless models that were added into the game that will never be used in any meaningful way by a skilled developer.

This will be the first experience for a lot of fledgling players, and the longevity of the game will now be put into question. Whether this will kill the already small group of mapmakers left, I don't know. Now I don't think its worth really going into detail what they could do to change it, they had an opportunity and they missed the mark. Releasing a game before its finished is a death sentence for most games, whether Blizzard can pull this off and repairing this bridge. It will be an interesting story indeed to hear.

Whether they update it or come out with patches really doesn't matter, as a well known Dev would say "With any bad press the most important actions are the ones you take after, your actions speak louder than words." I hope they go into media silence and just work on their game as any good dev would. Absorbing both good criticism and bad ones, and developing an awesome game from that data. Up to this point, I will keep an eye on the game and will be consistently sending them my damn resume.

- Regards

StormWarriors2

I dont know as I have never seen someone using them in wc3. They were wc3 assets Blizz made for starcraft 2 in early 2010s and they were able to do a perfect job.

@Chaosy, @YourArthas and @deepstrasz Here is a HD quality video of these assets:

We got those assets converted to wc3 so yeah they are useable and epic, those were made by the studio I've mentioned DragonFly Studios

Level 3
Why the hell Blizzard even approve those model style and terrain standing together . Compare to similar 3rd person game like Torchlight , it have way better terrain and model.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Level 10
Ok, i'm reading a bunch of bullshit about the EULA changes in the past few days. I mean come on, who goes all the way and tries to create an IP in wc3? People are paranoidic rambling about "not having another dota" while there are games like HoN, which was almost a dota clone at the beginning, which cannot, even if that EULA existed, be touched by a copyright claim. I mean come on, as if copyright (or patents, for that matter) are not piss easy to dodge. Luckily, you cannot copyright mechanics and gameplay elements. So even if you make in wc3 a working prototype of a later game, as long as you leave it a gameplay prototype (without specific looks and feel of the game) you can go forward to make a real game out of it.

I can understand that the signal.this sends towards the community is bullshit and i completely agree with that. But i just don't see how this will, in reality, affect anyone in the mapping community. Except when someone tries to make harmfull content.

Now, if blizzard would bring out a model editor, i would never touch that, even with a ten foot pole...

Level 9
We got those assets converted to wc3 so yeah they are useable and epic, those were made by the studio I've mentioned DragonFly Studios
I just did some research on Dragonfly Studios and found out that they have made a 3d Arthas fan-art for Warcraft. Arthas in Reforged should have looked like that instead of a guy ripped from an anime game.
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/NlJ61
EDIT: Blizz should be ashamed as Dragonfly made this Arthas model for free. Yes no one paid them to make this model. Shame Blizztard!

Level 30
Just quoting this from my own personal status.

I don't know what to say. I can't play anymore Warcraft 3 just because of the Reforged patch. I don't have my redeem code with me anymore seeing I didn't bind it back then (which is like a decade, lol). It's either I'm forced to buy Reforged to have new TFT and ROC codes (which I won't be doing soon since the negative reception for Reforged and how buggy it is in the meantime. Will probably wait for patches.) OR just not play in the meantime which is sad.

And weirdly, my txt file ROC and TFT codes on my Warcraft 3 Directory are marked as redeemed even if I didn't redeem it yet. The best way is honestly to go customer service but seeing I had a bad experience with Blizzard customer service way back 2013-2014 on Diablo 3 (falsely flagged as a hacker when in fact, I'm the one who is hacked, lol), I'll just wait out for patches for Reforged. RIP.

How the mighty have fallen indeed. Blizzard needs to get their shit together, to be honest. I express much discontent on what has happened with Reforged seeing how I loved Warcraft 3 classic and how it has turned into this....uh, abomination.

Last edited:
Level 13
Guys, I remember a game that went to a sale a short time after launch. They did this because the game was very unsuccesful at launch. Do you think Reforged will go to sale soon? If so, how much is it going to be?
I think so. I doubt that pretty much anyone is going to buy the game now, at the current state and price. So, I'm not surprised at all that they're refusing refunds. People who got their refunds before the release, got them. Now when it's obviouse that the gmae is over priced and trashed by pretty much anyone, it's unrealistic for them to give refunds.

I think that a fair price for a graphic pack, with not too many bugs and decent preformans, for me at least, would be circa 15€. And for a graphics pack with many bugs and not that good preformance, circa 10€. At least for now, I won't be paying more, it's just not worth it for me. Not that saving 15€ to 20€ is gonna change or affect my life in any way, it's just about the principals, and my thank you for the faulse advertisement and basically abandoning the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.