1. Fill your cup and take your pick among the maps best suited for this year's Hive Cup. The 6th Melee Mapping Contest Poll is up!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Shoot to thrill, play to kill. Sate your hunger with the 33rd Modeling Contest!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Do you hear boss music? It's the 17th Mini Mapping Contest!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Warcraft III: Reforged Developer Update - Player Profiles

Discussion in 'Latest Updates and News' started by Mythic, Aug 20, 2020.

1. Bribe

Bribe

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    I used to play melee quite competitively before I got into modding (I'd say the first 7 years I was doing just competitive playing). Never once would I have cared for such a feature as this. I preferred getting to know my own skill within the game, not having some statistics machine spell it out for me. It just looks like a League of Legends feature they made to support WarCraft 3.

Both games would be better without statistics. Just get in, immerse yourself, have a good time doing your best, win or lose, then turn it off when you're done. No looking back.

2. Linaze

Linaze

Resources:
    Models:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    10 years ago this might've been true for a lot of people. These days every competitive game ships with matchmaking, MMR/ELO, leagues and that sort of stuff.
    Regardless: Check any non-modding Warcraft 3 discussion board and it's clear people want these kind of things back.

3. chopinski

chopinski

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Totally agree. I remember when they announced Reforged my excitement about the promised new World Editor/JASS functionallities was over 9000 and then after launch we didn't even get a simple code highlight and code completion. It's good that they are still working on the game, it gives hope that maybe one day Warcraft might become what it was in its glory days, but i think they are focusing in the wrong sections first. Melee is not nearly as popular as custom games and custom campaigns and every single patch so far has only addressed Lobby and Melee improvements. But at least they working on it.

4. MasterBlaster

MasterBlaster

Resources:
    Resources:
    I think the answer is pretty simple - content creators, in particular people like Grubby. If Blizzard improves melee, these people will sing praises to Reforged and say that it's actually quite good now. Due to their reach, that message will probably be heard by a lot more people than any new editor features (most people only care about the results of modding, not the tools that the modders are given to achieve these results, because they can use the former and don't understand the latter).

5. Raven80

Raven80

Resources:
    Resources:
    Blizzard and his stupid priorities.... i guess i will have to wait for custom campaigns option for like 20+ years...

6. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Some dudes recording videos->content creators. More like video recorders.
    Also, Grubby is a pro player.

7. Uncle

Uncle

Resources:
    Resources:
    At least once they're done adding back removed features we can start getting NEW features. Some time in 2022 is my guess.

8. Bribe

Bribe

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    I would like for them to re-add the feature to run this game on Windows Vista with 1GB of RAM, a 1GHz CPU and a 20 year old GPU.

9. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Warcraft III is not yet abandonware->GoG worthy. They will not develop on/for OSs that will not be updated anymore.

10. MasterBlaster

MasterBlaster

Resources:
    Resources:
    That's what youtubers and streamers are pretty widely considered to be, yes.

Being a pro-player doesn't mean that he can't also be a youtuber/streamer (which he is), a.k.a. a content creator.

11. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Semantics sometimes gives too much importance to something that is not what it is named to be.
    Fairly sure there's no need for such a phrase.
    I meant Grubby is important because he's a melee pro player and it's the melee scene that brings money and advertising not custom games/campaigns.

12. Bribe

Bribe

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Of course, but this was more of a tongue-in-cheek remark about re-adding features that were removed. I don't even own a functioning Vista machine anymore, but I did a couple of years ago when I was forced to enter the market for a new laptop (because they simultaneously had dropped support for the Intel GMA that my Windows 10 Netbook had relied on).

13. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Sure. I just hope there will be people/services out there to ensure such survivability in the hundreds and thousands of years to come.

14. MasterBlaster

MasterBlaster

Resources:
    Resources:
    I honestly don't see your point here - Grubby is not important, because he's a pro melee player, but because he's by far the biggest W3 youtuber/streamer, ergo people watch him and care about his opinions, which means that he has a big audience reach and having someone like him be positive about the game is beneficial to changing community perception of Reforged. If Grubby was able to generate the same amount of views while modding or playing custom games, he'd be just as important.

Regardless, since W3's biggest content creator primarily plays melee, investing in that game mode will make him happy, ergo he'll be more positive about the game, which in turn means that his enthusiasm might rub off on his audience and lead to some of it re-buying Reforged or spreading the good word elsewhere.

I've obviously simplified this to just Grubby, but you should get my point - melee scene brings in the views (which is why it gets ad money), so that (plus e-sports potential) is why it got focused first, imo.

15. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I don't think Wtii or any mainly custom games streamers would have the same amount of success in advertising the game. Note that there was only a DotA tournament that made it outside of ladder. All else contests were original game related->melee.
    It's like you're saying people will like bananas more or even start liking them because some internet celebrity says good things about them.

Even Blizzard themselves called Back2Warcraft for advertising, not some custom games streamer.

16. MasterBlaster

MasterBlaster

Resources:
    Resources:
    If custom game streamers had the same amount of fans and/or viewers then yes, they'd absolutely have the same amount of success, because from a marketing point of view it's not that important what you do in the game, but how many people enjoy watching you do it. That's what generates your reach.

Or, I'll tackle it from another angle - let's say I was some hardcore, overpowered melee player and I could beat Grubby every time while drunk and half asleep, but I would not make any videos or stream. Do you honestly think that I'd be more important than Grubby, because I'm more "pro" than he is? No, I wouldn't. And it's the same with Grubby - he's not important, because he happens to play the most popular mode in the game, he's important, because he is popular.

That's exactly how advertising works, though.

Also - from a psychological point of view, your pre-existing attitude towards a product has a very big impact on whether you will enjoy that product or not. So yes, it's possible that you might like bananas more if your favourite internet celebrity says good things about them and makes you believe they're good.

17. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    and a melee player.
    Too bad for banana Reforged.

Oh and most people here on Hiveworkshop, do actually play custom games.

18. MasterBlaster

MasterBlaster

Resources:
    Resources:
    I guess we're going to have to agree to disagree on this one, because to me the fact that he's a melee player on its own has absolutely zero impact on his importance, unless you factor in the fact that playing the most popular game mode helps him be popular, but in which case - what matters is the popularity, not the game mode.

Also, a fun article for you:
    Why do we like what we like?

If our little discussion is Earth, to me this point is somewhere in the Alpha Centauri system :)

Yes, this is me jokingly saying that I don't see how this is relevant in the context of what we were talking about.

P.S. I'm a little obsessed with space stuff lately, sorry :D

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
  19. Mr.Goblin

Mr.Goblin

Art and Graphic Design Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Give us Dynamic Lights, shadows and custom campaigns! thank you!

but yes, some news is better then no news... also happy for the competitive section of warcraft3 melee match. I<d like to think Blizzard made some people happy.... for once.

20. EredarArbeiterYU

EredarArbeiterYU

Resources:
    Resources:
    This please! ^^