• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft III Reforged - Community Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Don't worry, they said the UI will be customizable, at least in the editor.
And from what I've seen, it's not only the bottom buttons that are small. For building construction, for example, all buttons are the same size.

Nice to hear it, also i watched some videos now and it seems that you can do whatever you want with the UI. Great. Can't wait!

Level 2
Yo this got me interested again.

Best feedback I can give is please allow map makers to add some sort of ranking or levelling system for players to their maps, specially if they are popular in order to have a better matchmaking. Right now the matchmaking is totally random and terrible. Hence why I always preferred Garena back then over Battle.net.

What I mean is right now when some random hosts a lobby you have players from all skill and experience levels placed in together randomly. In dota match for example you have first timers against a guy with 1000+ games and high win rate. Resulting in a lame boring smash where both players end up hating the game. I know some bots show how many games a person totally had but that's kinda useless and has never reallu helped make balanced matches.

For high player- base maps here needs to be at least option for some sort of algorithm that tries to match make balanced custom matches based on player experience and win rate etc, it doesn't necessary even have to be competitive. I've found no matter how fun and balanced a game, it's horrible when the matchmaking is imbalanced.

Also will there be possible new tutorials for map making hopefully? Will Blizz also make some custom maps themselves, I know they made two last time only but they were quite fun! Also will there be possible new soundtracks?

edit: Also the algorithm can calculate the data and give some sort of estimate based on players online and past data on how long a que will be. Sitting in a lobby and praying is not fun, at least an estimate helps lots.

Last edited:
Level 4
Here's the most important things missing from the editor in my opinion:

-Hit detection for missiles (projectiles with triggered effects)

-More advanced Cooldown manipulation

-A better buff (and debuff) system

-A variety of dummy spells or the ability to change spell IDs

-Custom race support (like making a custom race selectable in the lobby)

-Generic-looking spell effects for custom spells

-A lot more environment doodads

-Stackable on-hit effects

-Some better way to create cliffs

-universal tiles and creeps

-Better water (rivers with a stream?)

-custom sound sets for units

-Cave making support (fading ceilings or maybe even caves that can be walked on top of. Bridges that can be walked under)

Stuff i've found from other people that I also support:

- base attack (Including item) mechanic on 'Real' variable for GUI.

Last edited:
Level 10
What about an option that when one imports a bunch of models, it would be possible to tick an option in WE that would automatically create new default doodad/object/unit for every imported model? Would save a lot of time when importing packs with lot of small models

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Add a better tech tree for high elves in undead campaign. They should have their own building and footman models. And the High elf hero in the Fall of Silvermoon should be Anasterian, not a random Archmage (with some extra audio, it's already recorded for WoW 8.1). Same tech tree should be used in the blood elf campaign in TFT.
Or they could just change WoW so that it is a generic Archmage defending it. Yeh makes as much sense as changing WC3 after all...

Considering how little people get to actually play with the Blood Elf tech tree, I am not sure if it is worth the effort to make a fully unique one. Many of the Blood Elf missions do not allow you access to the standard tech tree, or expose you to other tech trees.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
5. The FOG! I hate that the fog option covers the whole map and not parts of the map, like in regions for example. Any chances for more options for it? To have it in regions for example and make it fade by the outline.

6. Music: Same as with fog, but that we can have music in each region we are in, without making other far off players hear it. Any chance we can get Region music?
I'm nearly sure both of these can be achieved using GetLocalPlayer().

And the High elf hero in the Fall of Silvermoon should be Anasterian, not a random Archmage
I agree ^_^
About the techtree. It'd be interesting to see some uniqueness in the techtree. Though, as it was, I did not mind it. Their techtree was a mixture of human and night elf units (footmen, archers, ballistae), with the arcane sanctum units, which combines well with their origins and history. They also had the unique Dragon Hawk.

The stats of their units were also unique back in RoC:
High Elven Swordsmen had -20 hp, +1 armor and attacked about 0.2s faster than regular Footmen;
High Elven Archers had 280 HP, 9-20 piercing damage, no Elune's Grace, and 1.00s attack rate.

In the TFT campaign, the blood elves' swordsmen and archers' stats are, indeed, the same as footmen and patch 1.07 night elf archers.

Last edited:
Level 9
I have seen that they will offer the same tools that made the models of game. They could make (if want and one suggestion) a technology to make models of humanoid, wolves, etc easy to do. Thus, it would continue good culture of the World Editor.

I see Blender tutorials from humanoid and beasts, I think it hard to do. However in the future I will learn to do them in the faculty of game creation and development.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
@stan0033 That's a concept RTS should smarten up and leverage. For another purpose, inclusively: players should be allowed to join in replacement of leavers. This should be possible unless the game has marked that player slot as having been defeated (lost all units, etc).

The mappers' current workaround is to create a force, in the game lobby, holding a pool of substitutes. The downside of this approach is: no one wants to sit idle doing nothing... Possibly for the whole duration of the game.

Level 9
Correct me if I'm wrong.
But Scourge campaign I think has to separate the parties that the player only controls Sylvanas Windrunner and Vampirism, not counting the first. With those of the Arthas and Anub'arak. Since Sylvanas Windrunner and Vampirism become enemies of the Scourge. Also have to change the technologies of the Sylvanas Windrunner army? Putting the Forsaken in place of the Ghouls, etc?

Level 2
PLEASE get Justin Gross back to re-record his lines as Arthas, or at least someone with a similar voice. Patrick Seitz did a poor job of voicing Arthas in WoW, his voice was too deep and lacked emotion. I really don't want him back for Warcraft 3: Reforged.

Level 1
Hello everyone!

I understand that a lot of people have things they want to hear from forum posts, and I suppose if I really wanted my voice to be heard I'd try to cater to those hot button topics, but right now I'd like to talk about my personal feelings regarding a lot of the art choices in Warcraft III Reforged. There are two major things I'd like to talk about: the in-game, in-mission cinematics, and the models for many of the units, which were presented at Blizzcon 2018.

To begin, I'd like to compare the in-mission cinematic that took place at the beginning of the culling in the original Warcraft III (
) to the one that took place in Warcraft III reforged (
Start at 4:42). The first thing I notice is a lot of the background. I can definitely appreciate the increased attention to detail and the close ups between the characters, but I feel those sort of exchanges come at a serious cost. What Warcraft III lacked in animations, it made up for through the environment. Notice the rain in the original cinematic, and the intro shot that clearly highlights its presence at the very start of the cinematic. Notice the way Arthas stands on a tall mound overlooking his comrades when he decrees that the city must be purged (At 1:20 in the video I linked), a hill which he had originally used to get a good view of the city. All those things in the background and in the environment feel so purposeful that the environment around the character hardly feels like background at all. It's as though the environment is a part of the characters themselves. It helps to tell their stories, like rain expressing sadness or height expressing authority.

The cinematic I saw in Warcraft III Reforged seriously lacked that effect. The backgrounds of all the cinematics from start to finish in The Culling felt complacent to me, as though the improved graphics were able to carry the story that we all know and love on their own. The improved graphics, motion, and feel of the characters presented in Reforged were not enough for me to justify this soap opera like style, as I would think of it. I don't like how the camera simply goes back and forth between the characters and the environment has almost nothing to do with the exchanges between the characters. I feel that the way the characters would turn feels too level and robotic. That freakishly large armor on their shoulders is wonderfully reminiscent of other Warcraft games, but it doesn't feel like it's meant for these close up shots to me because it makes motion feel so much less fluent. I say save those close ups for out of mission cinematics and simply leave the in-mission cinematics the way they were, using the updated models. Warcraft III was a perfect game already, I can appreciate the update in graphics but I do not appreciate changes to gameplay or story content. Perhaps improvements to customization in the Editor or custom games are acceptable, but I don't think that serious changes to melee content would be a good idea.

Secondly I'd like to talk about the art choices regarding specific units. Some units that I really liked were the Footmen, Necromancers and the Dreadlord. There is something I do disagree with about all of the models though, and that is their call to be overly realistic. The bodies are not as bulky and broad shouldered as they are in the original Warcraft III, they are more in line with World of Warcraft or Diablo, and this game should not be a remake of any game other than Warcraft III in my opinion. For example, the skeletons and militia are highly reminiscent of the skeletons and militia in Diablo. The helmet of the militia and the wooden shield seems to draw a connection to Captain Rumford and his band of merry men in Tristram in Diablo Three. I think that some of those iconic bulky pauldrons would do the skeletons a lot of good, and shinier armor more akin to the original for the militia. I really loved the thematic uniformity between the units in Warcraft III.

That said, I do acknowledge the very valid statement that, with such complex graphical detail it can become difficult to differentiate between units and therefore each should be made more clearly separable from others, but I think that problem can be solved by simply recoloring. For instance, as Grubby puts it in the video I linked to this post, the footmen were more difficult to identify without that bright outlining on the shield and I think that can be accomplished even with the presence of high graphics. I feel that with serious color differences, such as those that exist between the blueish color of ghouls and redish color of abominations creates a certain discord in the undead force that I feel might actually make things more confusing when those blueish colored ghouls come into contact with say, Night Elves, which are also known for having a similar color skin, or when those militia meet an army of orc units that might have similar leathery brown armor. I feel that having a unity of artistic theme within each race, such as that which exists in the original game, would be much better because in such jumbled mess as a battle having discord within a race's army would worsen the issue I imagine these differences may be trying to address.

Overall, I feel that the game's artistic style draws too much for outside titles such as StarCraft 2, Heroes of the Storm, World of Warcraft, and Diablo III. Take for instance the ghoul. In remastered the ghouls are fleshy and seem especially drawn from World of Warcraft, even if they are lacking that sort of mane of rotting hair that they have in World of Warcraft. The original ghoul seems much more skeletal and has much less flesh, with a clearly visible rib cage and a dedicated, clawing attack that doesn't look more like a flail than an attack. I feel that Warcraft III has an art style all on its own that doesn't have to draw on other sources, and a simple sophistication of that style rather than a completely new art style would be the best choice. After all, a lot of players who will be the consumers of this product will be returning players, and because of that fact I would appreciate something more along the lines of StarCraft Remastered which doesn't take away from the artistic style of the original very much.

Unlike many others, I do like having skins and custom UIs included in the game, because I feel that gives me some control of correcting the artistic problems that I find in the game, but of course I feel that this should be modelled on the original Warcraft III where these can be created and open to modders in the same fashion of the World Editor or JASS code. I doubt of course that is going to happen what with the potential profit of microtransactions and the existing system of skins involved with StarCraft II, but heck, I can dream can't I?

Level 1
oh, and that they change the shape of the (rectangular) regions that can be drawn in any way, I'm tired of having to play tetris with the regions so that the shape of them fits the map

Level 1
I think that would mean changing the engine even further. I don't think they'll do this, at least not too soon even if for custom mapping.
or they dont change the regions, but adds a function in the triggers that let you do same things like if that 2 be one regions

oh, and that they change the shape of the (rectangular) regions that can be drawn in any way, I'm tired of having to play tetris with the regions so that the shape of them fits the map
That I support. I am also tired it tetris regions.

I think that would mean changing the engine even further. I don't think they'll do this, at least not too soon even if for custom mapping.
No it doesn't

Level 20
About the techtree. It'd be interesting to see some uniqueness in the techtree. Though, as it was, I did not mind it. Their techtree was a mixture of human and night elf units (footmen, archers, ballistae), with the arcane sanctum units, which combines well with their origins and history. They also had the unique Dragon Hawk.

The stats of their units were also unique back in RoC:
High Elven Swordsmen had -20 hp, +1 armor and attacked about 0.2s faster than regular Footmen;
High Elven Archers had 280 HP, 9-20 piercing damage, no Elune's Grace, and 1.00s attack rate.

In the TFT campaign, the blood elves' swordsmen and archers' stats are, indeed, the same as footmen and patch 1.07 night elf archers.

I was mostly talking about the models. High elf use beta mage tower for barracks and normal human buildings. Giving them unique buildings would really help the feel of the undead campaign and belf campaign. Also, their footman uses the same model as the human captain. A new model would be nice.

Or they could just change WoW so that it is a generic Archmage defending it. Yeh makes as much sense as changing WC3 after all...

But that archmage screams placeholder. He has no backstory, no quotes, no lore, nothing. He could be replaced with pandaren brewmaster and nobody would notice. They should give Silvermoon a unique hero who can use a reskinned blood mage model with a few tweaks and archmage abilities.

Level 7
Stability improvement for Jass APIs:
1. fewer hackness and better error handling for Jass APIs would be awesome. Some unusual usages and interaction with specific abilities wouldn't bring a game crash hopefully.
2. a string table recycler is really needed, since maps with huge string handling always suffer from being slowed down and unstability due to accumulation of strings even though they are never referenced.

Last edited:
Level 10
- Add background color to world editor so we can change the background color to White or Matt Black.
At night, my eyes get annoyed of white background.
t.jpg

Wrda

Spell Reviewer
Level 26
Remove delay in Goblin Merchant.

I would like to see something like this:
When u select peasant (not carrying any lumber) and you right-click on lumbermill (not damaged) peasant will automatically go to cut woods. Same with Townhall (go to goldmine).
There's absolutely no reason to remove the delay in shops.
What if for some reason people want to right-click on lumbermill to gather some peasants for something else? (Same for townhall)
If one wanted to cut woods, he would just have to right-click a random tree.

Level 4
What about multiple themed "sections" to color with RGB in the editor for every unit, like for example shield/armor or skin/armor/weapon separately, instead of coloring the whole unit at once which looks awkward? Combining 2 or 3 colors could allow for a lot more variety when creating custom units.

Level 3
Thanks Blizzard for the great work on this project! I will gladly pay for it.
Thank you because Reforged is not Remastering, but a new creation. It's time for a fresh air and not just a "graphic update" of a previous game. For that there is the classic game

*Wish list*

Editor
- Option to choose between Classic / Simple Editor and Advanced Editor
- Range and reach separated in Attack 1 and Attack 2
- Add attack 3
- Missiles that do not always hit the target (In the classic game, arrows shot always damage the target, even when the arrow has fallen far from the target) At least one option to enable / disable this
- Option to add "autcast" flag to any skill
- Customizable UI to add more item slots and skill slots and option for select more than 12 units.

Camera
- Option for closer / farther zoom, without restarting with each movement of the scroll wheel. Or at least good easy option in editor

Regions
- "Draw your own region" Literally have the freedom to draw the shape of a region

Models
- I love everything but the the Shoulderpads... More realism in the size of the armors, please guys. A bit of exaggeration or caricature is not bad, but the giant Wow-style shoulder pads are abominable. Please Blizzard, new art yes, but attached to the "reality" of Warcraft 3, and not to Wow and his exaggerated and ridiculous armors :)

Gameplay
- Effects and sounds of "Revives" personalized by race. (It is strange to see Undeads reviving with sound and effect of Angelic Light)
- Snow in buildings in snowy areas

Campaign
- Units / buildings graphically personalized with unique models / icons and according to the corresponding faction
(It is boring to always see the same soldier model with another color, knowing that they are from completely different cultures) like:
+Humans: Dalaran, High Elves, Blood Elves, Kul Tiras, Lordaeron, Dwarves, etc.
+Orcs: The different orc clans
+Undeads: Scorge, Forsaken, demons
+Night Elves: Sentinels, Watchers, Druids, etc.
Simple enough to see that it's the same type of unit, notorious enough to know it's from another culture / faction
- The Wow story in Reforged Campaigns. I will gladly pay more for each episode if it is full of content: factions and / or sub-factions
(commanders maybe?) more story, models, etc. By the way, There you can fix all the mess in history and give a face and a name to the heroes of Azeroth; perhaps an "official" retcon without the meddling of unknown "adventurers", but knowing who was on time and place, as in the previous Warcraft stories. Or at least one "alternative timeline", please!

Business (Because Blizzard is a company that must pay employees and make money)
- A "Community Market" where Content Creators can sell / share their creations, something like Dota 2 does. Blizzard is left with a small commission, cheap prices and small commissions, to continue encouraging the market. Anyway, there will always be someone who will share for free (thank you!) and there will be talented people who can make this their living or an extra
- The expansion campaigns from Wow! Not for Free but not very expensive

Remember: that if the community is very divided on a hot topic, then add both options so that both parties can create their content freely! so everyone will be happy!
Love for you guys; love for you Blizzard!

Camera
- Option for closer / farther zoom, without restarting with each movement of the scroll wheel. Or at least good easy option in editor

That's cool idea

Regions
- "Draw your own region" Literally have the freedom to draw the shape of a region

I vote for this too, but I don't think they will make it.

Gameplay
- Effects and sounds of "Revives" personalized by race. (It is strange to see Undeads reviving with sound and effect of Angelic Light)
- Snow in buildings in snowy areas

Yes, this adds variation.

I support all these, but I am sceptical if they will implement them.

Level 2
- A "Community Market" where Content Creators can sell / share their creations, something like Dota 2 does. Blizzard is left with a small commission, cheap prices and small commissions, to continue encouraging the market. Anyway, there will always be someone who will share for free (thank you!) and there will be talented people who can make this their living or an extra
I really love the DOTA 2 idea but not for Blizzard.
Slowly blizzard is becoming the next EA and Ubisoft who only cares for profit and not the fanbase. Mark Kern was definitely right. He even said "I hate to say it, but what you are seeing is Blizzard not understanding gamers anymore."
So I say this is impossible unless Activision Blizzard realizes their mistakes. One of them happened at Blizzcon 2018 with the Diablo Immortal announcement. For me Blizzard died after Blizzard was renamed Activision Blizzard.

For Every expansion lets say they will release "The Burning Crusade" expansion as a form of DLC. I would definitely pay for it even up to Battle for Azeroth expansion.

Last edited:
Level 16

Remember: that if the community is very divided on a hot topic, then add both options so that both parties can create their content freely! so everyone will be happy!
Love for you guys; love for you Blizzard!

It seems a few people around here support Blizzard adding micro-transactions for extra content like model packs, campaign packs, etc and now I'm seeing paid mini-games.

For: It would be nice to have extra content to work with. Also, paying map makers money for their work could give higher incentive for higher quality maps.
Against: Many people, including myself, do not want to see advertisements in a game they already paid for, nor have features locked away by a dollar sign.

All things considered, I'm generally against micro-transactions. If Blizzard implement a "store" which is a small button containing benign purchases like cosmetic skins for players or custom model packs for map makers (provided model fees wouldn't affect everyday players) then I would be okay with it. Do not put any "featured" "On Sale". bulls**t on my home screen or main menu please.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Level 1
World Editor :
Would be great if models that are not in .mdx format are accepted too. This will encourage more foreign modelers to help custom map developers.
Alternatively, direct modelling software to make .mdx content or whatever the new extension in the reforged would be, will be great.
As a new GUI map developer, I face difficulties in repetitively having to rely on mouse/ spamming Down Arrow key to choose an option. If there are more subsections, then i can quick search with starting letter and complete Actions quicker.
Importing content from multiple maps into a single map has been hard, as some object data overwrite on the previous. It will be great if this is addressed, by letting us choose if we want to overwrite or append to existing data. This should also reflect on the triggers imported from the same file, by changing what the object pointer on the previous map meant , to mean what it currently should after getting imported in the new main map. This saves a lot of time, and unnecessary recreation of the same content from our test maps to main maps could be avoided.

Status
Not open for further replies.