• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft III Reforged - Community Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bribe

Code Moderator
Level 50
I'd like there to be a built-in damage detection system in the WE - I mean an event that fires in response to any unit taking damage and functions that allow you to easily refer to Damaged Unit, Damaging Unit, Damage Type, Damage Amount and so on. I know that @Bribe and others have done some really amazing work to provide said functionality, but I think that it would be really helpful, especially for novice modders that might try the updated World Editor, to have it available in GUI.

As someone who's put thousands of hours into building systems which try to fill gaps left by the developers, I couldn't agree more. I would love if they integrated some or all of those events and variables. Or at least opened up more API so we can catch even MORE events which currently even systems struggle with.

Right now, for example, I'm mostly finished with an extremely major overhaul of Spell System. I intended to integrate an advanced cooldown system into it so units can have charged abilities, but there is no way to "fake" cooldown regeneration in the system. If Blizzard added charges to abilities similar to items have, it wouldn't be an issue.

As someone who's put thousands of hours into building systems which try to fill gaps left by the developers, I couldn't agree more. I would love if they integrated some or all of those events and variables. Or at least opened up more API so we can catch even MORE events which currently even systems struggle with.

Right now, for example, I'm mostly finished with an extremely major overhaul of Spell System. I intended to integrate an advanced cooldown system into it so units can have charged abilities, but there is no way to "fake" cooldown regeneration in the system. If Blizzard added charges to abilities similar to items have, it wouldn't be an issue.
Yes, including healing detection and absorb detection!

Level 3
It's sort of like trying new food. Some people don't like curry. It doesn't mean curry is bad. It doesn't mean every time you eat curry you're going to hate it. It's just a taste you need to get used to.

Yes taste is relative. Good quality game design turning it into art transcends taste and relativity. It requires skill and most of all a dedicated cohesive team like that which created titles like Starcraft and Warcraft 3. Which is no longer the case. Different people, different company, different game. Just the new Arthas voice-over shows you that.

Blizzard cannot please everyone all of the time. Therefore they should focus first and foremost on enabling us to (self-)please ourselves and everyone else(slight fap fap fap sound in the distance) which is the best way to please everyone most of the time. This means that in terms of novelty and selling-points they should focus on showcasing the removed(from the engine) limitations, rather than changing the work of art itself. Of course some visual update is called-for to pitch before investors, but it needs to be only a respectful update, not an overhaul.

In other words get in the head of Metzen and everyone else back in those years(Blizzard must have memos etc or at least means of getting those contacting past employees most of whom are probably thankfully alive etc.), think of what they wanted and how they were prevented from achieving it due to time, technical etc. limitations of the day, and unleash it.

The trick (Mr. Potter,...(Prometheus reference)) is to pay respect to the ingenious way in which the creators not only managed to get their ideas accross despite the limitations but also used these limitations to their advantage, which is what we mortals now call the charm of the game. As you preserve those, you preserve the soul of the game while allowing it to grow. Thus you fulfil the dreams of your predecessors who inspired you to join the company, become a developer etc.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the sholders of Mountain Giants." Respecting these words doesn`t mean that you don`t change a thing and sell the game for 30 bucks. It means that by honouring what was done before you, you actually do more and do it more efficiently because you don`t waste your time rediscovering the wheel, as in revoicing Arthas as a muscular BMW sporting 20-smth-year-old. What RTS gamer can associate with that? Like, com`on Justin Gross nailed it. Give it to the man. He stuck with us not just because he happened to be there at the time, but because he nailed him - Arthas, poised between the rashness and insecurity of youth.

If Blizzard doesn`t seem inclined to do the above, then we make sure they follow up on the minimum plan which is just enabling us to do the above (and even more).(I should stop lest I continue ranting and drooling over the succubus voice-over and the crypt fiend "chicks into bondage"...)

Last edited:
Level 2
Ok I'm just going to summarize my belief on all of this: I simply do not believe that Blizzard will pull this off in a single year when their first playable alpha was so far removed from the perfection of classic wc3. Their lead designer saying that the pandaren cinematic symbolizes warcraft to HIM when clearly it was nothing like the other warcraft titles, not even WoW... I mean what are we left to think. They are experimenting with our perfect game in ways that will probably lead to a less than perfect game. We all know it, we can feel it. It will be less perfect than the classic.
Even teamcolors which are massively important for the feel of warcraft 3 were completely wrong / insufficient.

SpasMaster

Hosted Project: SC
Level 23
Ok, so I've been thinking for awhile what exactly to put into this review of mine & the feedback that I want to provide. Let me start by saying that the sole concept of a remastering of Warcraft 3 was something that I have always dreamed about and up until a couple of years back seemed like it wasn't ever going to happen. Yet this year's Blizzcon MVP was indeed Warcraft 3: Reforged.

I happen to have a Discord community where people play my map - Sunken City. And after Blizzard started releasing patches, many people in there have asked me if I personally think a Remaster of some sort might come. Not only did I think that it ain't happening, but frankly - I was against it. The reason involves my greatest concern with Warcraft: Reforged and will be the core of the feedback I am about to provide:

The Custom Resources
I have always said that I prefer to have tens of thousands low-res custom resources to use for my projects as opposed to high quality ones, but only the default units. Sure, a melee player would probably not care at all about custom assets, but for us, modders, this is basically what allowed us to create resources that gave Warcraft 3 life for so many years.

By having fans continuously create custom assets, those who consume them felt like there is constantly something new coming their way. There is this feeling when you go into a custom map and you stumble upon something you've never seen before. In a game that is over a decade old. As long as such thing exits, Warcraft can never get old, since it always received new things.

So many maps are designed and built upon the foundation of custom assets. Many popular maps like Gaias Retaliation by @Zwiebelchen or Iceborn by @APproject utilize hundreds if not thousands of custom resources, not all of which (if any) will translate to Warcraft: Reforged. This is a concerning thought, since in a single day plenty of custom maps will inevitably have a chunk of them that remains in the past and another that transitions into the present high quality resources.

Model makers will need some time to learn to use the new tools Blizzard will be providing, but not all of them will be capable to use them. Regardless of what anyone thinks about the models and textures showcased during Blizzcon, these are of very high quality. I personally have hard time imagining the non-professional Warcraft 3 modders transitioning smoothly, even with the tools. I can see some more experienced users like @Tauer having the necessary skill to create models that will be able to stand next to the original models provided by Reforged. However, for many others that may not be the case. I have recently had a conversation with another very talented model maker from Hive, namely @PROXY because I wanted his opinion, as someone who's been creating models for warcraft for a long time and who recently collaborated with me on my project. He happens to have the same exact concern. I hope that over the coming months we get some insight in how exactly those new tools you'll be providing will work so that we can get a better idea regarding how we can adapt.

Personally, I am willing to move forward, because while this is a great concern (for me at least), this is the future of the game and is something that if done correctly will keep the game alive for years to come.

I do, however have a couple of suggestions that can help modders transition more smoothly:
  • As previously mentioned, give us information regarding how and what we will be able to use for future modding, whether it will be texturing, 3D model making, etc.
  • Blizzard has confirmed that skins will be made for certain models. This gave me an idea: Let's assume that after Reforged comes out, none of the previously created assets will be usable and the modders who are willing (and capable) of providing new ones will need some time to learn how to use the new tools. In that case, if Blizzard is willing to create 'alternative' skins for units, this will give map makers like me something to work with, in the absence of the previous massive amount of resources. Let me give some examples:
    • The functionality to use alternative skins for units is already available ingame. As you can see in the images below, you can select different skins for the Priest. In this case a RoC version and a TFT one. Now imagine if we could do things like the ones I will list down in the next points.
      Priest1.png

Priest2.png
    • Footman skins (recolors): Kul'Tiras Footman, Dalaran Footman, Gilnean Footman, Stormwind Footman, etc.
    • Alternative models to existing units, established in WoW lore that you seem to be adopting: Tauren Druid, Blood Elf Demon Hunter, Blood Elf Paladin, Undead Mage, etc.
  • Continue to provide the short explanations to new trigger functions. This is something very important not only for newcomers, but also for veteran modders who are given new functions to work with in the future.
    Triggers.png

My Suggestions & Wishes
Here I will make a list that I will update as I come up with more things over time, containing everything I would like to see.
  • I've seen that Blizzard will give us the possibility to modify the UI. I would love to see that taken to the next level:
    • Let us generate UI windows on the screen at desired locations.
    • Let us customize these windows, but do provide us with default assets & art for them, until modders have came up with alternatives.
    • Let us add intractable buttons into them, leading into things like: Dialogue Windows, Talent Tree Windows, Stat Windows, Additional Command Card Windows, etc.
  • Give us the ability to mess with health/mana bars - change their colors in various ways.
  • Allow zooming into the minimap ingame.

Blizzcon-specific Feedback
I've seen people already talk about this in great detail, but I'll quickly throw my own impressions here:
  • Buildings look great.
  • Some units look very similar to their 'classic' counterpart like: Rifleman, Shaman, Witch Doctor, Blademaster.
  • Others not so much: Grunt, Footman, Knight, Paladin, Arthas.
  • Ghouls seem very off to me. Previously they seemed like they were barely held together by flesh and bones, and in Reforged they look way bulkier and less skinny.
  • I've noticed that with many of the units, Blizzard has decided to modify the animations. While that can be nice, I'd like to see a more smooth and fluid alternative to existing animations, rather than having new ones. The explanation is simple: aside from their looks, Warcraft units have very distinct animations. Even if I see a pitch black silhouette of a Grunt, I'll know it's a Grunt by the way he moves. I would suggest improving the animation, while sticking to it, if that makes sense. Think of what WoW has done for the Character Models after the visual update, animation-wise.

That's all I have for now. I will update this post over time, if I come up with more suggestions/feedback. I do want to state in conclusion that I am very excited about the future of Warcraft and its community and I am hopeful that Blizzard will take it in the right direction.

Last edited:
Level 1
There's like a couple very specific things I'd like added to the engine:
1. The ability to mess with ability cooldowns.
2. More than 6 item slots. Also UI customization for it.

Triceron

Hosted Project: W3CSW
Level 11
Yes taste is relative. Good quality game design turning it into art transcends taste and relativity. It requires skill and most of all a dedicated cohesive team like that which created titles like Starcraft and Warcraft 3. Which is no longer the case. Different people, different company, different game. Just the new Arthas voice-over shows you that.

I beg to differ.

Art does not transcend tastes and relativity. Art is the purist form of subjectivity. A good quality game is not going to be held on the same pedestal by all even if is universally pegged as good.

For us enthusiasts, there are more things that we consider 'sacred' and feel should not be touched. That's okay. But that's not a fault or failing of the developers if things change. Heroes of the Storm is not a lesser game because they used a different voice actor for Anub'arak instead of the original Warcraft 3 actor. You can definitely have an opinion on whether you like the change or not, but that one act doesn't have a lasting impact on the game beyond a personal preference. It doesn't change the core aspect which you've touched upon - the game design.

Aside from the campaign and retooling hit boxes, the actual gameplay of Warcraft 3 is untouched. The aesthetics may not be up to everyone's standards right now, but keeping in mind that this is a new take on the style, it's remained fairly consistent to itself. We should be regarding this game as a new and different soul. The comparisons to the original can not be escaped since this is ultimately a remake, but that doesn't mean that we should place all stakes of success and failure on it for straying too far from the original or 'not adhering to the original vision'. It is not Warcraft 3. It is Reforged. It has its own vision, it is its own soul.

Level 20
1) give us an option to change world editor's langue to english without changing our game's language version. When I want to copy triggers because I need help with something I have to translate them all manually which is really tedious.
2) Don't change the translation from what we had in original WC3. I can't say anything about other translations, but the polish one (old one) is considered iconic, it's widely believed to be one of the best translations ever made. Problem is, most new Blizzard games and books use the hearthstone translation. And at least polish version is really cringy and widely hated. I've heard rumours that there plans to use the hearthstone translation in WC3 reforged. I advise against that, the old translation was one of the things that made WC3 so awesome. And HS translation is really bad (like really, really bad) and would reduce the charm of the game.
3) damage detection system is desperately needed
4) Allow us to order units to use abilities in triggers via variables so we can give them multiple skills based on the same one. It would really help. And give us more customizable proxy abilities like channel

Funny thing is they already have some form of this with the flare and sentinel abilities which you could already use however it'd be nice if we weren't limited to just two abilities, think someone was working on a system to change that already though from what I saw it didn't go public. Basic stuff like this would definately add a lot, hopefully Blizzard takes this into consideration.

Level 17
For me, the remastered graphics and art is only worth a fairly low amount of money. I will usually play the game with classic graphics, as custom maps will have the low poly custom models.
Sure, I'll replay the campaign once again to relive the reworked things, but what's most important for me is:

Custom Games + World Editor

Before SC2 came out I was looking forward to release date hard. Only to find out that Blizzard made a complete amateur mess of the Custom Games feature of SC2.

I'm sure War3's CG lobby is dated, and it could be done better, but if you are going to change it, make carefully sure that you are changing it for the better.

I also want to be able to play on my old maps. Backward compatibility is quite important.

The WC3 World Editor is an excellent, powerful tool. It has its flaws and shortcomings though. JNGP added a lot of cool stuff, implementing most, if not all of JNGP's features into the new editor is a MUST, but even then, some things are just unnecessarily tedious.

From the top of my head, a few examples:
-Importing models is tedious. You should be able to import all the models in a folder with just one click, and WE should set their correct import path.
-Memory Leak hunting should be offered by the world editor. Let's say, there could be an annotation above "endfunction" or whatnot, saying you have 3 memory leaks in this function, and if you alt clicked the endfunction, then WE would automatically paste the code to close the leaks.
-Since the size of models are going to go UP, a few custom models would quickly add up. Will that limit mapmakers?
-It also follows that from now on, when you import a model, you would actually need a low poly version and a "reforged" version of the same model.
-Please remove limit on Terrain options

Also:
I would be more than happy to pay for additional campaigns / expansions, provided they are not just quick cashgrabs, but proper content, with proper story, characters, gameplay, art, music, etc.

Last edited:
Level 6
Nice feature i would interest it:
-add attribute stats gain difference depending hero's primary attribute for this example : 1 Strength gain 25 Hp for strength heroes, and 1 Strength gain 20 Hp only for Agility and Intelligence heroes.
- add status resistance or buff/debuff reduction instead just "clear Buff/debuff" in action trigger.
- add item cooldown in action trigger when taking damage like kelen dagger mechanic in dota2
- add size check unit on boolean ,example : like mountain giant vs footman, if you drag footman with knockback it can travel up to 1200 range, but mountain giant only travel up to 200.

oh yeah almost forgot add JAPANESE SOUND SET for unit!! for anime maps :).

Last edited:
Level 10
Nice feature i would interest it:
-add attribute stats gain difference depend primary attribute like this example : 1 Strength gain 25 Hp for strength heroes, and 1 Strength gain 20 Hp only for Agility and Intelligence heroes.
- add status resistance or buff/debuff reduction instead just "clear Buff/debuff" in action trigger.
- add item cooldown when taking damage like kelen dagger mechanic in dota2
- add size check unit on boolean ,example : like mountain giant vs footman, if you drag footman with knockback it can travel up to 1200 range, but mountain giant only travel up to 200.
Your idea is nice but I'm not fun touching the stats itself... Well it be great if we can do almost anything and touch everything.

Level 16
My Suggestions & Wishes
Here I will make a list that I will update as I come up with more things over time, containing everything I would like to see.
  • I've seen that Blizzard will give us the possibility to modify the UI. I would love to see that taken to the next level:
    • Let us generate UI windows on the screen at desired locations.
    • Let us customize these windows, but do provide us with default assets & art for them, until modders have came up with alternatives.
    • Let us add intractable buttons into them, leading into things like: Dialogue Windows, Talent Tree Windows, Stat Windows, Additional Command Card Windows, etc
I second this. It would be great to make custom interfaces. We wouldn't have to rely on ability command cards, shops items, or circles of power everywhere with floating text labels for everything interface related.

I would also like a native to modify an instance ability's command card position, ability cooldown, tooltip etc.. We currently have a way to target ALL abilities, but this is no good if you have 2 units with the same spell.

- Imagine giving a unit "cooldown reduction"?
- What about our abilities which scale with stats. Imagine dynamically updating the ability tooltip with it's damage amount instead of a formulae?
- Allowing players to shuffle abilities or systems to organize the command card.

Level 2
We all know that are various artists in the warcraft III community so i propose for blizzard. Deliver an early the 3d model editor that they said will be included on the WE early and make a contest for moddeling some asets.

Like building modeling
Unit Modeling and so on

I bet that there are people who would be happy to do it just so his units be included in the game. Also they wouldnt have any cost and get a good model (sorry for my bad english)

Level 5
It would be cool if they add dead physics like they did in HOTS that adds realism and sometimes it's funny too(they could put this feature like optional). Because if the units always dies in the same way the game will look very repetitious, i don't know if this is possible
with the old WC3 engine or at least they should add more than one dead animation for every unit.

Level 1
I understand that the focus of wc3 is micro, but who else agrees that by default the camera is too zoomed in for your liking? On every custom map I had a part in designing, I'd add a zoom out option and it would make the game feel so much better.

Level 8
I think the grunt shoulder armour edge should be a brighter metal color instead of black,and the shoulder armour had better to extrude metal spines,like original painting in warcraft or wow,it will look nice.Moreover,the peon’s feature is not clear,the ear has a bit small .

Attachments

• A3UETDM82G1V0032.jpg
    A3UETDM82G1V0032.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 105
  • A3UETE352G1V0032.jpg
    A3UETE352G1V0032.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 82
  • QQ图片20181105212601.png
    QQ图片20181105212601.png
    548.9 KB · Views: 64
  • QQ图片20181105212903.jpg
    QQ图片20181105212903.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 53
  • QQ图片20181105213222.jpg
    QQ图片20181105213222.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 46
Level 11
4) Allow us to order units to use abilities in triggers via variables so we can give them multiple skills based on the same one. It would really help. And give us more customizable proxy abilities like channel

Isn't ordering units to use abilities viva variables already possible?

Review of gameplay: (Played Reforged at BlizzCon)
It felt good, the game had the look of alpha/beta graphics but they are going in a wonderful direction. The changes to the mission were appropriate, unexpected (having remembered the old one) and enjoyable. I enjoyed most everything about it. My biggest neutral is the change to the unit portrait, not sure if I like it more or less than normal. Aside from collision zones being off on many units/portraits (which I'm sure will be fixed) this was a great opportunity and leaves much to be thankful for. We've been waiting for this a long time and are so excited that the time has come! Please read all comments and suggestions with a reasonable mind, not overwhelmed by our sheer input and know we appreciate everything you get done, regardless of when it is finished or how much got done.

Gameplay Suggestions:
Selection: Allow more than 12 targets to be selected.
Hotkeys: Universalize spell hotkeys with Q,W,E,R,T,Y?

Review of confirmed upgrades:
Providing creators the tool we used to make our models (Thank you! We were in such dire need of a new program)
Units will have distinguishing variations (Wow, nice touch! The more models, the better!)
Male Heroes now have a female version (Random, but I'm excited to see them. Will we get male versions of female heroes?)
More Languages (Doesn't apply to me, but Hive has many cultures and I'm sure they are grateful)
Support continues after release (Wonderful!)
UI decoupling (Good start!)
Everything else (Awesome, thanks so much!)

Editor Suggestions:
Garbage collection (resolving leaks) on more popular or all functions.
Damage detection system.
-
Projectiles: Allow triggers to create, track, change, react to, destroy projectiles. (if the former is not implemented) Allow the spell: Channel to fire a missile.
Object Editor: Allow abilities to load different pre-cast splats, like the ability specific targeting splats in Heroes of the Storm.
-
Import Manager: Auto remove war3imported/ from new imports.
Key Recognition: Enable more/all keys to be recognized for events and such.
-
Sound: Allow the game to play multiple overlapping instances of the same sound file.
Sound: Support more space-efficient sound format(s)
-
Lighting: (May already be done) Allow many more lights to interact with any given space or place a changeable number of interactions per space at our control.
Lighting: Allow objects to ignore lighting or be lit through a more lightweight render.
-
Terrain: A more functional water tool, with a color blend brush. (additional features could include sliders for: Rapids, flow, wave size, rain-drops)
Terrain: Allow a terrain blend feature like SC2.
-
Model/Skin: Allow models to change a skin reference in game and have a skin variation section in the object editor
Model/Skin: Allow game object to change models in game without affecting other factors.
-
UI: Make a flexible build your own / drag and drop UI with scaleable features including item or ability slots
Fonts: Consider adding a few more fonts to the game
-
Mouse: Add the ability to call the mouse position relative to its X, Y position percentages on the screen.
Music: Create a more reliable and replaceable music system
-
Sound Effects: Allow the creation of new sound sets as opposed to the current method of replacing a sound set.
LAN Games: Remove map size limit for LAN games.
-
LAN Games: Allow players to host and join their own game from one computer (for testing purposes)
Buff: Make the buff system a little more robust and programmable (Can't currently change what is considered a good, neutral or bad buff)
-
Lightweight: Add an option to make a very basic doodad that stores as little info as possible (for efficiency)
Support: Allow support/conversion from other modelling programs like Blender.

Last edited:

Jumbo

Hosted Project GR
Level 19
Personally, I would like to see:

-more scary ghouls than what they've shown so far.

-raise selection limit: remove entirely but maybe let pro Melee players decide for melee. I think that removing selection limit from melee as well is probably a good idea, both for (especially) new players and for veterans as a minor convenience booster.

-make meaningful hotkeys for inventory items. Perhaps allow two defaults at the same time: the current numpad and
SHIFT+1-6.

-Don't get entangled by the fanboy web and make a zero creativity release. This is not Starcraft Remastered vol. II and neither should it try to be. I hope that the Blizzard development team will be brave enough to make the game better even if it means initial whining from so called long time fans (been playing this game since 2002 release which doesn't mean one has to dislike changes).

-Reforged is something new. Don't make it just a better graphics version of an old gem. Make it a modern version of that gem instead. Anything else in 2018/2019 is, frankly, a little pathetic. Especially since Blizzard is in a creativity crisis at the moment as seen by the stale design of HOTS, Diablo and Starcraft 2.

Last edited:
Level 4
Just to add my two cents:

TLDR: Please do not muck up the World Editor. Do *not* turn it into the new Galaxy Editor. If you are going to throw away JASS, please allow us something along the lines of Wurst.

Long version:

Like most here, I have developed Warcraft III maps. Not too many, but enough to have used pretty much every menu / functionality in the World Editor. I also tried (emphasis on *tried*) to port one of my maps to Starcraft II and that failed. Why? Because the galaxy editor (for me) was utterly unusable. Terrain editing was improved (for me, but I was never the greatest terrain freak, so others might disagree), but especially the unit editor was completely broken. A heap of needless complexity. Creating or altering a unit took hours of studying to even figure out what I was doing.

Yes, the World Editor has its limitations and drawbacks. Some of them are truly ridiculous to work around. But I beg of you: Do not change the world editor into another galaxy editor. Yes, I am aware that many great maps were made for Starcraft II. I am not doubting the capabilities of the editor. But for me (and most mappers I knew), working with the thing was too damn complicated to be worth the effort.

In particular, I beg you, Blizzard, do not ruin scripting. JASS is a weird language with a great deal of limitations, no argument there. But the way it was done in Starcraft 2, where everything practically had to be done in GUI (unless you were willing to suffer quite some pain to figure out the weird parts of the language and how to implement it). And no, adding a "insert custom script" option was not enough to alleviate this. If you want to see it done to perfection, I can only recommend you take a look at the Wurst language. Developing in this has been an absolute pleasure, because it so nicely decouples the coding from the terrain making. If you ARE going to change the world editor no matter what, please, please, do it in the Wurst style. Leave the object editor simple (or only make it complicated if the user absolutely wishes for it), but do not force GUI coding on those of us who prefer more efficient IDE coding. Ideally, I would love for Wurst to be compatible with the new editor, but if not, please go in a similar direction.

Thank you for reading.

Level 1
make it possible for add ons to include new races, rather than only being playable with specific custom maps or campaigns

as unit upgrades are achieved add different models for each unit upgrade

get rid of a lot of auras on items, personally I found it really irritating when a hero had three auras stacked on top of each other

add starcraft assets to the editor, can't think of a reason why they shouldn't, i also know that the starcraft editor could import models from WoW, hopefully that'll be a thing too

Level 7
Every one focused on the gameplay and HD model things of the reforged. It seems that environment, water and shadow renderings as well as 3D sound effect of the reforged are rarely focused on.

Edit: Are these graphical things improved and satisfactory?

Edit2: Compared with the HD models of units, I noticed that little graphical improvements on the destructables, trees and doodads have been done in the demo reforged game (see the cutting video). Have those models been well reforged? I just concern there will be too much difference between the characters and surrounding environment on graphical details.

Last edited:
Level 5
1) give us an option to change world editor's langue to english without changing our game's language version. When I want to copy triggers because I need help with something I have to translate them all manually which is really tedious.
2) Don't change the translation from what we had in original WC3. I can't say anything about other translations, but the polish one (old one) is considered iconic, it's widely believed to be one of the best translations ever made. Problem is, most new Blizzard games and books use the hearthstone translation. And at least polish version is really cringy and widely hated. I've heard rumours that there plans to use the hearthstone translation in WC3 reforged. I advise against that, the old translation was one of the things that made WC3 so awesome. And HS translation is really bad (like really, really bad) and would reduce the charm of the game.
3) damage detection system is desperately needed
1) Yes. But I need this because of bad translation. No translated one is more easiliy to be understood.
2) It depends on which language the user use. For Chinese, the original translation is like a **** (mistaken Illidan->Illdian; undead->not dead; same name but different translation in different places; many other ridiculous mistakes). I am very happy they retranslate it in the same style as Chinese WOW.
3) YES! YES! YES!
4) I'm afraid they won't do it because the engine not allow them to.

Jumbo

Hosted Project GR
Level 19
Every one focused on the gameplay and HD model things of the reforged. It seems that environment, water and shadow renderings as well as 3D sound effect of the reforged are rarely focused on.

I think that people are generally satisfied with a graphics buff and therefore focus on the aspects that appear more contested - gameplay for instance.

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
For those of you that think the old game looks "better": I respect your opinion, like Pete Stilwell said. The original Warcraft art style was based on Samwise Didier's style. Didier's greatly exaggerated physiques and vibrant, bright color style. If you prefer that you can still play with the old graphics. The developers didn't want to divide the community so they made that available within Reforged :)

I personally really like the new stylized but realistic art style they are going for. It's the face lift that Warcraft needed. True to the Warcraft style. So thanks Brian Sousa (Lead Artist for Warcraft 3: Reforged) and the rest of the art team :)

Level 6
For those of you that think the old game looks "better": I respect your opinion, like Pete Stilwell said. The original Warcraft art style was based on Samwise Didier's style. Didier's greatly exaggerated physiques and vibrant, bright color style. If you prefer that you can still play with the old graphics. The developers didn't want to divide the community so they made that available within Reforged :)

I personally really like the new stylized but realistic art style they are going for. It's the face lift that Warcraft needed. True to the Warcraft style. So thanks Brian Sousa (Lead Artist for Warcraft 3: Reforged) and the rest of the art team :)

When you mentioned Samwise Didier it just reminded me of al the photo's of Didier in Warcraft III. Wonder what they'll do to that.. lol.

Level 11
Of course, those who don't like the new style will be able to switch back to the old graphics, and it was thoughtful of Blizzard to allow this. :)
However, these players will have to pay the same amount of money if they want to enjoy all Reforged features, without having the benefits of a nice visual update. And I think most if not all people would appreciate some graphics upgrade (I would), but many just don't like this particular style. Therefore, I think it's a bit harsh for these people who are being asked to just switch to the old graphics when they would have appreciated a visual upgrade - but not this one.

I personally really like the new stylized but realistic art style they are going for. It's the face lift that Warcraft needed. True to the Warcraft style.
If it were up to me, I would rather have a more realistic or semi-realistic game (though I like Warcraft III stylized style), like Warcraft II or the early WoW. But I would have been delighted with Warcraft III stylized style. However, Blizzard decided to create something in-between. Some units body parts and armour pieces are rather realistic, some aren't at all. Thus units proportions are very uncanny, and it feels really weird, in my opinion. As I said in another thread, it's a matter of taste, I suppose.
But I wouldn't say it is "true to the Warcraft style". It is true to the style since MoP, like the devs said. Never, in the history of Warcraft franchise, characters had such absurd proportions before WoW, more specifically MoP. And it is definitely not true to the style of the game that is being remastered, which is a bit sad, in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong, I'm really excited about Reforged, but campaigns are changing, style is changing, audio is changing, and I'm worried about the game beeing not Warcraft III anymore but some WoW spin-off or something like that. Besides, I'm also a bit annoyed that the style of the franchise changes all the time, a bit of consistency would have been welcome.

Anyway, Reforged is still a work in progress (Pete Stilwell said he wasn't very happy with the terrain and some human units needed a bit of tweaking), so we'll see what awaits us. :)

I assume those areas have yet to be thoroughly worked on by developers. Maybe it should be brought up though, I had just assumed that was for the moment left behind so they could get the full mission up for blizzcon.

Level 5
7) ORIGINAL LORE AND SETTING - NO TO RETCONS

I dearly hope and pray that stick to the original story with much to the Outland storylines in Warcraft 3, and NOT the ridiculous retcons that WoW:BC did to it.
I hope In WC3:Reforged, Illidan takes over the BLACK CITADEL from Magtheridon.

A demonic fortress of Magtheridon in Outland, the BLACK CITADEL, (Original Warcraft 3)
and NOT as a retconned "Black Temple" that used to be like a church for the Draenei or whatever. (WoW retcon)

Speaking of the Draenei:
I hope the draenei race here in the upcoming WC3:Reforged are still what they are truly in Warcraft 3, in which are like the orcs who are shamanistic race and are all natively born from Draenor itself (Original Warcraft 3)

and NOT as a bunch of retconned weird space goats race that came from another planet that somehow are related to the Eredar demons, such as Archimonde and Kil'jaeden??? What??? (WoW retcon)

Outland Map Setting:
I hope the map geography of the original Outland layout in the WC3 loading screen is still the same as what it will be in WC3:Reforged, and NOT as the retconned map geography in WoW: BC with places like Zangarmarsh, or Nagrand, or Terrokar, or whatever.

Other than the fact that Warcraft 3 Outland is the ORIGINAL setting; Outland is suppose to be portrayed as a shattered remains of a dead planet floating in space. In terms of comparison, Warcraft 3 Outland map and tilesets makes a lot more sense for a destroyed planet, than WoW: retconned Outland.

8) BROKEN ISLES - SUNKEN RUINS TILESET

I dearly hope that the tileset for the Broken Isles missions in the WC3: Reforged would still be the same as in the original Warcraft 3 tileset of the SUNKEN RUINS. (IMO, the best tileset of Warcraft 3)

With all the jungle tropical trees, deep blue waters, sandy beaches, and with the great touch of a mossy ancient elvish ruins that came out from the deep.

Not only that it is the most relaxing and peaceful looking tileset for the eyes in Warcraft 3, but also it makes much more sense for an ancient ruin site that was raised from the bottom of the ocean by Gul'dan in Warcraft 2.

With Gul'dan only raising the broken isles from the sea in Warcraft 2 (INCLUDING SURAMAR) in just a nearly 20 year gap to Warcraft 3,
I dearly hope that there will be NO weirdly looking hidden city, or lost civilization that secretly survived after 10k years, like maybe some asspull weirdly looking night elves, or a different breed of tauren or whatever that came in just like a Randy Orton, RKO - FROM OUTTA NOWHERE!....

Oh wait... -_-

Last edited:
Level 2
Warcraft 3 Reforged Wish-list: (Ambitious me. XD)
1. Consistent UI; new and improved icons, model, and spell animation (except the Resurrection Ability of Arthas which is awesome.)
2. New Campaigns that is tailored to WOW Lore starting from WOW Vanilla to Battle for Azeroth and future Releases(in a form of Campaign DLC, if all campaigns are free then it is much loved and preferred.)
3. New and improved World Editor with removed limitations with additional tools, custom video support, C++ or JAVA support for triggers, AI, Custom Spells, etc. (Hope that they won't make the same mistake that they did to Starcraft II Editor)and Custom Models like the ability to import 3DSMax, Blender, etc. models and textures directly to the Editor.
4. New playable races such as the Naga, etc. just like in WOW. (Optional because balancing is never easy job.)
5. Maintained Offline and LAN Playability even if is integrated with Battle.net Launcher
3. Who are out of the game must be able to rejoin the game.
(NetEZ server is known to support this.)
Just like in MOBAs and the Like.
7. Game Optimizations and Map Code Optimizations.
8. Same System requirements with the Classic. (If possible.)

Many More. What do you think guys?

Last edited:
Additional Appreciated changes:

Allow unit movespeed to surpass 522.
Allow a GUI function that can play a sound file based off a string. (Sound - Play: PlayerName.mp3)
Design a function that will allow for the creation of random stat items.
Warcraft 3 Reforged Wish-list: (Ambitious me. XD)
1. Consistent UI; new and improved icons, model, and spell animation (except the Resurrection Ability of Arthas which is awesome.)
2. New Campaigns that is tailored to WOW Lore starting from WOW Vanilla to Battle for Azeroth and future Releases(in a form of Campaign DLC, if all campaigns are free then it is much loved and preferred.)
3. New and improved World Editor with removed limitations with additional tools, custom video support, C++ or JAVA support for triggers, AI, Custom Spells, etc. (Hope that they won't make the same mistake that they did to Starcraft II Editor)and Custom Models like the ability to import 3DSMax, Blender, etc. models and textures directly to the Editor.
4. New playable races such as the Naga, etc. just like in WOW. (Optional because balancing is never easy job.)
5. Maintained Offline and LAN Playability even if is integrated with Battle.net Launcher
Just like in MOBAs and the Like.
7. Game Optimizations and Map Code Optimizations.
8. Same System requirements with the Classic. (If possible.)

Many More. What do you think guys?
These. I support.
more:
A way to dock modules and/or make them tabbed to the side and move the minimap to the right

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
I dearly hope and pray
You're hoping and praying too much. They said they will connect Warcraft III to WoW. Sadly, that means a lot of those things you've mentioned would be how you (and me) won't want them to be.
NO weirdly looking hidden city, or lost civilization that secretly survived after 10k years, like maybe some asspull weirdly looking night elves
Maybe, they'll hint at the Void Elves too :D Let's prepare a cringebag.

Level 4
I would like a re-join system.
Because in case of an internet disconnection the other players cannot rejoin again and the game is ruined after that.

Jumbo

Hosted Project GR
Level 19
Those of us old enough to know how much Warcraft lore and style changed between Warcraft 2 and Warcraft 3 won't be as upset by integration into early Wow lore. Let's face it: Orcs in war1&2 were just bloodthirsty monsters while Wc3 changed that with a story about corruption making them monsters in the first place.
I personally don't mind some changes to the original if it means a more meaningful story. Honestly, I'm not - and neither should anyone else +25 of age be - as impressed by Warcraft lore as I used to be as a kid.
There are indeed some moments of greatness: The fall of Arthas, The rise of the uncorrupted horde under Thrall and Gromm, the recorruption of the latter, and the battle for Mount hyjal, amongst others.

However, even some of the loved moments have poorly written flaws. For instance, why does Arthas - a son of the capable king Terenas - not for 1 moment reflect on his own actions? - this is simply poor writing by young gamer developers who should have let a proper writer take over.

Same goes for ogre alliance with the horde. Honestly, why the heck did the ogres (and forest trolls for that matter) suddenly leave the Horde after Warcraft 2? This is something they should explain properly with extra content in Reforged.
And this can be said in so many other instances as well: Maeiv - seriously does she have a life beside "Illidan, Illidan, Illidan". Childish, one-dimensional writing. It was epic as a 12 year old in the early 00s, but today we have complex story fantasy like GoT and so expect a bit more.

Blizzard are known to dwell on childish good/evil dichotomies in their lore. This was alright when Blizzard was a medium sized developer consisting of geeks in their 20s/early 30s but this is not acceptable any longer after 16-17 years. Therefore: added flavour/lore dialogues to the original campaigns and new custom campaigns would make sense to flesh things out a bit.
Something to bridge the gap between Wc2&3 especially is in order.

Last edited:
Reactions: pyf
Level 15
Something else to consider:

Add mini-races to certain campaign maps. On some missions you have to fight one of the core factions, but there is often a big creep base around for a specific enemy. You could make mini-factions from some of those creep bases. For example, Blizz mentioned the murlocs on one of the missions. Give them a handful of buildings and a couple of different units, and they can function as a proper enemy to destroy rather than some sparse npcs to slap. Obviously this idea isn't just for murlocs, but for various creep enemies ingame, such as the Nerubians during the TFT Arthas campaign.

Level 5
You're hoping and praying too much. They said they will connect Warcraft III to WoW. Sadly, that means a lot of those things you've mentioned would be how you (and me) won't want them to be.

Maybe, they'll hint at the Void Elves too :D Let's prepare a cringebag.

You know, most of us are all hyped by Warcraft 3:Reforged regardless of what it may be or not... We all want to see, buy and try it, and it is that excitement and interest why we all have this community and all, making suggestions of what should or should not...

but then again, if all else fails in what we hope and expect Reforged would be; if lets say they do make it as a WoWcraft 3 game rather than as a Warcraft 3 (especially with regards to the lore/story)...
We can ALWAYS fall back into the original Warcraft 3 nonetheless. A timeless treasure for each of us that will surely never be influenced by any taint of WoW.

They can do whatever they may with Reforged, and even make it more like as a WoW game than a Warcraft game if they want, BUT surely our original Warcraft 3 (and 1 & 2 as well) will never be changed.

Then again, Mr. Pete Stillwell seems to be a pretty cool guy. He seems to be smart, considerate and passionate person, especially with regards to studying all what is in the original Warcraft 3, to how it is going to be brought up in Reforged. So we will see by then....

PS: Void Elves? ah! you mean those weird space goth Dormammu-worshipping elves in WoW? Never thought the legendary heroine Alleria Windrunner of Warcraft 2: Beyond the Dark Portal would be one of them... lol

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Orcs in war1&2 were just bloodthirsty monsters while Wc3 changed that with a story about corruption making them monsters in the first place.
Actually. They were seen like that only in Orcs & Humans (maybe because the story played more from the human perspective). The Orcs & Humans manual depicts the orcs as barbarians/savages and it is written from Garona's perspective which was a member of the Shadow Council which means the story isn't being totally impartial. However she informs about this:
"Our destiny concerning the domination over these lands has been foretold by the clan mystics for hundreds of years."
Proof of barbarism:
"Still we craved more, and decades of constant bickering between clans served to divide our race amongst itself. Soon factions arose, each seeking to control the Orcish domain for themselves. These petty arguments turned to armed conflict, and then to war as the need for conquest burned hot in out blood. If no lands existed that were ruled by enemies, then we would take the lands of our brethren."
So the Warlocks:
"It was during a period of research that the small tear in the dimensional fabric was noticed."
and then:
"More and more warriors were brought through the rift, and with them seemed to come the essence of our world. The Warlocks claimed it was some effect of the portal, but the lands about our entryway soon became as desolate as those of our home." (which means Draenor was already a wasteland by the time they got to Azeroth or it was even a wasteland natively)
and Blackhand was not a puppet but actually a smart leader.
And there was no Sargeras or demon control back then. The Warlock's description says they are the ones controlling demons :p Medivh was some sort of end of days Moses.
Of course, the story is well played this way as things were supposed to develop later which they did in Warcraft II where you actually find out how all things were connected. Who the mysterious woman was (Medivh's mother), why he had nightmares during sleep, why he had the immense power burst which killed his father and sent Medivh into deep sleep, why basically he warned Wrynn III about the coming six years and disappeared.
The mysterious woman returns after the orcs start appearing and Llane becomes king to tell him that she intended for Medivh to be a protector but it failed due to other forces intervening and taking control of her son. She faced Medivh and he banished her making her unable to come fight him again (restraining order :D). She even told Llane that Medivh was responsible for the orcs coming to Azeroth:
"During the battle with his father, he inadvertently opened a gateway to the domain that they, and many other foul creatures, call home. The Orcs are disciples of chaos, however, and not even Medivh has the power to control them."

The Warcraft II manual introduced their "good" side which was turned to evil because of Gul'dan and his allegiance to Kil'jaeden. The story is told from Gul'dan's perspective.
Blackhand was not such a great orc anymore. He was blackmailed by Gul'dan because he helped to put him in charge. I guess, they did this to make Orgrim shine as a great orc instead.
"Even the great War Chief Blackhand was eventually destroyed as his ultimate victory drew near, betrayed by his servant Orgrim Doomhammer."
Even Kil'jaeden was afraid of Medivh that Gul'dan could not contact him anymore when Medivh joined minds with Gul'dan:
"I sought the counsel of Kil’jaeden, but he refused to answer my summons. Somehow I knew that he had forsaken his students because he was afraid of this Medivh."
There's no mention of the Draenei being otherworldly or how they even looked like but that they were all decimated by the orcs:
"Like an elemental force of havoc and destruction we thundered through the lands of the Draenei devastating all that we beheld. Not one life was spared. No building was left standing. The only traces of their existence were the blood-soaked fields they had worked for nearly five thousand years and the rank, acrid smell of the huge victory fires that consumed the bodies of their young. The Draenei were a weak people - hardly worth the effort of our raiding sweep."
This sentence in particular is interesting:
"Though I remained with my people on the dark, red world of the Draenei, I soon learned to project myself into the depths of the Twisting Nether, being driven nearly mad by the whispering chaos contained therein." (whose planet was it again? Did the orcs come to it? It is not explained; the orcs seemed to be there at least for some time?)
but then:
"The destruction of the Draenei left nothing upon which the great beast of war- could feed. After centuries of violence and warfare, we had finally conquered the whole of our world." (it doesn't make sense for the planet to be called, by the orcs, based on the Draenei if they were not natives of it)
Here, Draenor was dying so it wasn't a wasteland from the start (as Orcs & Humans might've implied). The world was dying of too much war and destructive living from what I gathered. The manual states about things happening before Tides of War. In the game, you see that the world is actually dying (in the true sense) because of the many rifts (it was mostly Ner'zhul and co who did it).

Anyways, the point is, few retcons in Warcraft II, more in Warcraft III, more than you can digest in WoW.
So, they were barbaric in the first RTS game, under indirect demonic influence in Warcraft II and direct one (demon's curse) in Warcraft III. Change upon change.
why does Arthas - a son of the capable king Terenas - not for 1 moment reflect on his own actions? - this is simply poor writing by young gamer developers who should have let a proper writer take over.
Because Arthas was meant to be a young and arrogant person. It was the Culling of Stratholme that turned him insane. The things he had to go through changed him. We was so filled with rage and want for vengeance that he didn't think clearly anymore. All he had in mind was to kill Mal'Ganis. Little did he know what was actually going to happen afterwards... (just my two cents).
Same goes for ogre alliance with the horde. Honestly, why the heck did the ogres (and forest trolls for that matter) suddenly leave the Horde after Warcraft 2? This is something they should explain properly with extra content in Reforged.
I guess, this is actually just a gameplay/design choice. They kept the troll and exchanged the Ogre with the Tauren.
The Horde was disbanded after it lost the war on Draenor and Azeroth. The Horde we see in Warcraft III is Thrall's and well, storywise he could've gotten the Ogres back, I guess, but maybe they didn't want to get back anymore. Sure, there could have been an explanation. As for the trolls, I don't know, maybe the same thing. It's weird that in the Orc campaign we get to kill Ogres and non-Darkspear Trolls (again, gameplay element; introducing creatures etc.).
And this can be said in so many other instances as well: Maeiv - seriously does she have a life beside "Illidan, Illidan, Illidan". Childish, one-dimensional writing.
You have to understand the audience Blizzard games are for... Besides, I would be more pissed on Tyrande frankly than Illidan, at least firstly. I understand the reasons. Illidan is one of the biggest night elven traitors of all time. And Maiev was a radical. Illidan was still supposed to do time, maybe for eternity? Moreover, having Illidan free would have been problematic to the night elves in many ways since he could have gone mental anytime while the Well of Eternity was still there.
Something to bridge the gap between Wc2&3 especially is in order.
As how Grom got to Azeroth and didn't die in the incursion of the heroes in the last mission of Beyond the Dark Portal and stuff like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.