• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Feedback] Request Features for JASS and the World Editor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
GetAbilityHotkey
SetAbilityHotkey

GetUnitTypeTooltip
SetUnitTypeTooltipExtended
SetUnitTypeGoldCost
GetUnitTypeGoldCost
SetUnitTypeLumberCost
GetUnitTypeLumberCost
GetUnitTypeIcon
SetUnitTypeIcon

SetUnitIcon
GetUnitIcon

SetUnitAttackRange
GetUnitAttackRange

----------------------------------------------

Allow the creation of GUI functions that can be selected in GUI.

JASS:
!gui // Alternativly that public functions inside libraries end up in the custom functions list automatically.
/**
        There should also be a way to add comments to the trigger.
*/
function Foo takes integer a, integer b, integer c returns nothing
    // stuff
endfunction
!endgui
This should then be valid:
  • Foo(1, 2, 3)
and no need for:
  • Custom script: call Foo(1, 2, 3)
The function foo should now have been generated and be selectable by users under "Custom Functions" in the trigger list, this way system creators can create GUI systems without having to use global variables and trigger wrappers. I cannot think of anything that would enhance the toolkit of regular GUI users more than this could and bridge the gap between those that use vjass and those that don't.

The same concept could be applicable to struct as custom variable definitions but custom functions is the core feature and would be enough to create proper wrappers.

Last edited:
I realize this has nothing to do with JASS or the WE, but here are some things I'd like to see in the new model finalizer, at least in comparison with Magos'/MDLvis:

- Option for particles to face the direction they're flying
- Support for quad faces
- Option to change particle emitter facing without resorting to animating helpers
- Model viewer where ribbons work
- Model viewer that can simulate motion to preview particle and ribbon trails
- Model viewer that can support game lighting

- Introduce force fields
- Allow more than three particle segments
- Allow animated ribbon emission rate and life span
- Y-Billboard ribbons
- Model space option for ribbons

- Model viewer that can change bone/object hierarchy and duplicate
- Allow saving animated translations and rotations for cameras
- Allow naming of geosets, their anims, and materials
- Allow saving animated textures
- Allow functional saving between mdl/mdx (Magos' only works halfway)

World Editor:
- Allow attack range to be independent of Acquisition Range

Last edited:
Level 24
Tooltip descriptions addition:
(idk what it's called, hyperlink?) mousing over something like "Throw a dagger that causes 12 damage and causes the target to Bleed for 5 seconds." Mousing over the selected text brings up a small text box with a description or linked variable!

GUI Additions: More so in the flavor of wow or Ultima Online (Yes, bags within bags within bags withing bags.)
  • Movable windows that can be manipulated similar to WOW
  • Minimized/Maximize
  • Movable!
  • Items drag and drop
  • Dropping items outside of window drops them on the ground
Unit Ability Options
  • Data field - for whether or not targeting aggro's the unit
  • Data field - Does the cast reveal the target's location?
  • Data field - Does ability require caster to animate (i.e. cast firebolt without stopping it's current order)
  • Data field - AI - Ability Aggressiveness (i.e. how much does this unit like to cast?)
  • Data field - AI - Priority Targets (Hero / Summon / Etc)
  • Data field - AI - Casting personality (i.e. "Defensive" will cast on targets taking damage similar to frost armor, "Offensive" will target only when attacking similar to inner fire, "MageBane" will target units casting abilities, Etc (and of course triggers to add or manipulate this.)
  • Data field - Damage Type (piercing / chaos / Etc) [ & Triggers to add or modify such types.]
  • Data field - Damage Extended (normal / universal) [ along with triggers to modify or add custom variants (LOOKING AT YOU ACID/FIRE/MIND/POISON TYPES!
  • Data field - Ignore Armor X armor & boolean to ignore armor completely
  • Data field - Ability Charges (casts before going on cooldown)
  • - X seconds to recharge X amount of charges
Ability Changes:
  • Inner Fire - Data field increased regeneration (negative values will from -0.01 to -1.00 will lower affected unit's regeneration rate.)
  • Mana Shield - Data field - Ignore Armor boolean
Trigger Changes:
  • Lightning affects : Please make the gui have the x1 y1 z1 & x2 y2 z2 please
  • Move Unit - Interrupt order boolean
  • Move Unit - Ignore pathing
  • Variable - Custom value of Buff/specialeffect/ETC!!!
  • Special Effect - *Facing of Special Effect (I.e. Where the point is on the arrow, or the 'Front' of the model.)
  • Special Effect - Saturation (Make something brighter!!!)
  • MODEL - CHANGE TEXTURE PATH
  • MODEL - ADD ATTACHMENT POINT XYZ (for adding trailing effects to missiles or units lacking, or units without blood mage orbs.)

This one was too long and needed it's own place to stand:
  • Data field - Secondary Cast, Third, Fourth, & ETC
    (this one is difficult to understand but, lets take viktor's "Death Ray" from league of legends for example, the first "cast" is the set a point, the "secondary cast" comes up to decide the direction in which his laser will travel.)

Last edited:

Wrda

Spell Reviewer
Level 26
(idk what it's called, hyperlink?) mousing over something like "Throw a dagger that causes 12 damage and causes the target to Bleed for 5 seconds." Mousing over the selected text brings up a small text box with a description or linked variable!
What's the point of bringing a small text box from another big box when hovering with mouse there? Why not just write everything in one? What does even a linked variable mean in this context?

• Data field - AI - Ability Aggressiveness (i.e. how much does this unit like to cast?)
  • Lightning affects : Please make the gui have the x1 y1 z1 & x2 y2 z2 please
  • Move Unit - Interrupt order boolean
  • Move Unit - Ignore pathing
  • Data field - Secondary Cast, Third, Fourth, & ETC
    (this one is difficult to understand but, lets take viktor's "Death Ray" from league of legends for example, the first "cast" is the set a point, the "secondary cast" comes up to decide the direction in which his laser will travel.)
  • What...? What's its range?
  • No please don't, just add the z and z2 please.
  • redundant, unnecessary
  • redundant, unnecessary
  • People who don't play LoL have no idea who and what is "Death Ray", do you mean this field is to determine if the ability is a unit cast type, point cast type or instant cast type instead? Should be Data field - Ability Cast Type

• People who don't play LoL have no idea who and what is "Death Ray", do you mean this field is to determine if the ability is a unit cast type, point cast type or instant cast type instead? Should be Data field - Ability Cast Type
To determine whether or not an ability requires more than one activation before being cast, and how many of these activations it requires.

Level 24
What's the point of bringing a small text box from another big box when hovering with mouse there? Why not just write everything in one? What does even a linked variable mean in this context?

In effort to remove redundancy and shorten tooltips from being walls of text, I don't want a three week course and orientation class to understand each and every game's mechanics.
  • No please don't, just add the z and z2 please.
  • redundant, unnecessary
  • redundant, unnecessary
  • A value of 1 - 10 would be simple, 1 being rarely casts, & 10 being casts at every opportunity, or some value that represents this, however majority of spells would benefit from having control over how often they are cast from a computer player
  • A valid point, however I will take options over restrictions
  • Default Unit - Move interrupts the unit's current order
  • I would like to have control when it decides to move a unit elsewhere than I design
  • I stated clearly that it was difficult to explain, try this link.
There's an ugly name for this sort of posting... how familiar

1543923023828-png.316061

Wrda

Spell Reviewer
Level 26
In effort to remove redundancy and shorten tooltips from being walls of text, I don't want a three week course and orientation class to understand each and every game's mechanics.
Then don't make a wall of text? Seems simple. Walls of text just waste players' time and occupy a significant portion of the screen, small boxes of text would just do the same, doesn't seem worth it...so whoever does those tooltips should just have common sense.
  • A valid point, however I will take options over restrictions
  • Default Unit - Move interrupts the unit's current order
  • I would like to have control when it decides to move a unit elsewhere than I design
  • I stated clearly that it was difficult to explain, try this link.
  • It has nothing to do with restrictions, it is just coherence, if create - lightning effect already has 2 locations, then adding z1 and z2 would be good, but changing it to x1, y1, x2, y2 would be stupid since most GUI actions have locations
  • So? Use SetUnitX and Y then... (duh)
    • Unit - Turn collision for Dumb Request 000 <gen> Off
    magic.
  • Must be hard for you to type "amount of charges before casting an ability"
There's an ugly name for this sort of posting... how familiar

1543923023828-png.316061

Are you done talking to the mirror?
Besides...when will they add TESH to the editor? Shouldn't be that hard since Sharpcraft and jngp had it.

The frequency at which the AI will order the unit to cast spells. Which part was incomprehensible?

Then don't make a wall of text? Seems simple. Walls of text just waste players' time and occupy a significant portion of the screen, small boxes of text would just do the same, doesn't seem worth it...so whoever does those tooltips should just have common sense.

Tooltip links will make the map more accessible by providing players an opportunity to learn about its mechanics as they're encountered in gameplay.

As for this question:
The point is to give people a choice whether they want to see the linked info or not. Multiple links in a tooltip could easily clog the screen.
The linked variable/s could be strings, text perhaps accompanied by an icon.

So? Use SetUnitX and Y then... (duh)

• Unit - Turn collision for Dumb Request 000 <gen> Off
magic.
I hope you realize that these requests are not implying these things can't be done, rather, it's the requester asking for an easier way to accomplish them. Both requests would save clicks and lines in GUI.

Level 12
Data field - Secondary Cast, Third, Fourth, & ETC
To determine whether or not an ability requires more than one activation before being cast, and how many of these activations it requires.
People who don't play LoL have no idea who and what is "Death Ray", do you mean this field is to determine if the ability is a unit cast type, point cast type or instant cast type instead? Should be Data field - Ability Cast Type
Check 0:21

Being able to do things like that would be very nice.

Currently one has to mimic it by using dummy abilities, press once on one location, then get a new ability and press again on a second location, etc. and that's a lot clunkier and can get weird if the player cancels/presses the escape key.

p.s. I think that without custom indicators it would lose a lot of its uses though

Level 5
How to stop AI from issuing orders if the player slot was assigned to computer before starting the game?
SetPlayerController(,PLAYER_CONTROL_NONE) doesn't work.
Even kicking computer player out the game (call RemovePlayer(,PLAYER_GAME_RESULT_DEFEAT)) doesn't help.

Level 11
Even if I guess this has already been suggested, I would like a feature to easily add custom resources (oil, iron, stone, mana...), in addition to existing resources, not as a replacement.

Also, this is not a suggestion for the editor, but I think it would be useful: an option to display ally and enemy HP bars with different colours, so you can distinguish more easily your own units from other players' units (it can really be a mess when having many units in the battlefield)

Level 12
Now the original (previous) thread is almost 2 years old already so I can't remember if this has already been suggested or not, but it would be nice if one could rotate buildings (both with triggers and in the world editor).

Currently to rotate buildings in the world editor the workaround is to temporarily turn the building into a unit, rotate it, and then turn it back into a building. That gets quite tedious.

As for rotating buildings ingame, if you want to rotate a building (for example one that has just been built by a worker), you have to remove that building and create a new one at the same place.

Level 11
I'd like more sounds options. For example, it would be nice to have separate sound types so you can switch on/off or turn up or down the volume more easily:
  • All sounds
  • Game sounds
  • Music
    • In-game music
    • Music in cutscenes
    • Music in the game menu / in battle.net
  • Voices
    • Units voices
    • Voices in cutscenes and dialogs
  • Ambient sounds

Also, don't know if it would be possible or even if it is relevant, but:
  • Wait action that is actually accurate, so mappers don't have to find ways to circumvent its current inaccuracy (maybe as a new and distinct Wait action, so it doesn't break existing maps)
  • Automatically remove leaks, instead of having mappers forced to do it (forget that)

Edit: for the record, here is a list of all other suggestions I have made so far:
  • Allow advanced building menus, like Warcraft 2 and Starcraft: one primary building menu and one secondary building menu (and maybe more).
  • Increase the max number of units selection (up to 24? 36? Unlimited? Using tabs like Starcraft II?). If not for melee, at least as an option for custom maps.
  • Facilitate creation and use of custom resources (oil, stone, iron, food, magic...), in addition to existing gold and lumber.
  • Allow creation of custom energy types for units, in addition to mana: rage, energy, ammo, fuel... Custom energy types would have customisable colours, different text when hovering over it, etc.
  • In Sound Editor, allow the creation of custom soundsets
  • For Reforged, it would be fantastic to have new models from the old games: reforged WC1 and WC2 models (units, buildings, spells).
  • Allow multiple languages managing: wherever there is text (map description, object editor, triggers displaying text (quests, dialogs, floating text…), make an option to display one or more columns with the text equivalent in other language(s). Also, allow to manage multiple languages for custom soundsets (for example, I'd like to use Warcraft 2 soundsets in English and in French, depending on the version of the game you play on
  • Give an option to allow units to switch between attack 1 and attack 2 depending on the distance of the target. For example, a hunter could automatically use melee attacks against close units, and ranged attacks against distant units.
  • Take advantage of widescreen support to add new features such as extra slots of action buttons, or even extra slots of hero inventory
  • An option to keep doodads' altitude when copying-pasting them would be nice
  • An option to display ally and enemy bars with different colours, so you can distinguish more easily your own units from other players' units (it can really be a mess when having many units in the battlefield)
  • In the object editor, for items, add a boolean field "Stackable", to make charged items easily stacked. (I made a system to do it once, it worked but it was a hell of a pain. There are other systems doing that too, but they require vJass and complicated stuff, they're not easy to handle for beginners. A simple box to check and voila. And you won't have to do it for every single map in your campaign. )
  • I'd like to be able to have shared triggers and variables within a campaign. That would be a nice quality of life improvement when having many triggers that you need in every single map of a campaign (especially if you need to modify something).

Last edited:
Level 11
No, not this, sometimes you want to save a location in a variable and use it for a while. Removing leaks automatically makes you lose control of certain purposes.
Ok thanks, I didn't think of that. Maybe having something easier than a custom script then? Custom scripts are not newbie-friendly. I've been tinkering with the editor since the game came out, and I found out about leaks only a few years ago (shortly after I came across the Hive, actually). Since I'm not an experienced mapper, even now I'm still not totally comfortable with the concept of leaks (and I often forget to deal with them in my maps). Something more accessible for newcomers would be nice :)

Wrda

Spell Reviewer
Level 26
Ok thanks, I didn't think of that. Maybe having something easier than a custom script then? Custom scripts are not newbie-friendly. I've been tinkering with the editor since the game came out, and I found out about leaks only a few years ago (shortly after I came across the Hive, actually). Since I'm not an experienced mapper, even now I'm still not totally comfortable with the concept of leaks (and I often forget to deal with them in my maps). Something more accessible for newcomers would be nice :)
Yes they aren't newbie-friendly. Sure we really would like that the leak removal stuff was available also in a GUI action besides custom script. In fact I think the that idea has been spotted but didn't really get much attention, but it would be really a great benefit for everyone. There were already some leak removal stuff like destroy lightning in GUI, so why not add more?:D

Level 24
On the topic of basic GUI variable/leak handling, here's some suggestions:
  • Variable - x.xx second "life span/expiration timer" for unitgroup/location/playergroup/Etc
  • Variable - Deadman's Switch- Attach (udg_SpecificVariable) to (last created unit) - [Attached Variable's Values will be cleared if the unit Dies, Decays, or Removed from the Game.]
  • Variable - Attachment to general things like FloatingText/SpecialEffects/UnitGroup/Etc that are cleared when the attached item is destroyed.
  • Variable - Clear all attached Variables on Unit/Floating/Sp.ef./UGroup/Etc
  • Variable - x.xx second "Expiration" to all attached variables on Unit/Floating/Sp.ef./UGroup/Etc
  • Variable - Reset "Expiration" on (udg_SpecificVariable [OR] ALL) variables attached to Unit/Floating/Sp.ef./UGroup/Etc
  • Variable - Modify/Clear Values of (udg_SpecificVariable [OR] ALL) Attached Variables containing VALUE - (i.e. change all variables containing specific unit's Custom Value, akin to the hashtable version.

INB4 redundant & unnecessary

Level 18
Reposting my suggestions here based on Sieben's and Killcide's posts:

Interface:

In settings enable the ability to pick between the Reign of Chaos and
The Frozen Throne interface(ROC feels much better for me for example due
to the colors).

Add a disable (only menu) sounds/music checkboxes, similar to the HOTKEYS CTRL S/CTRL M that exist, however it would be more intuitive.

Add a list to filter hosted maps per game type:
(Other, Melee, Hero Defense, Hero Arena, Tower Defense, Tower Wars,
RPG, Risk, Mini-Game, Campaign, Castle Defense)
(These categories were taken from epicwar and altered a bit to remove redundant ones, plus added risk which is a very very popular game mode).

Hosting:
  • Allow ping to be seen in the hosted lobbies like in starcraft remastered.
  • Allow hosts to reserve a slot to a certain username.
  • Allow hosts to specify if they want to enable votestart command in case he goes afk.
  • In addition to banlist give us a mutelist (and we are able to visualize them somewhere, same goes to banlist).

Based on experience on hosting these past 3 months, I must say that the way that the hosting works is very annoying, you HAVE to close all slots and open 2 by 2 in order to get your map filled, and people get annoyed at you for doing that even though it's the only way to get a game starting.

Game list definitely needs some work, including removing previously hosted games (for some reason they appear in gray as "closed"), and have maps be on top of the List based on amount of REAL players in the game (don't count computers or closed slots/reserved), why would this help? because it would mean that hosting would work as a sort of "Queue" in which all maps get to be on top until they start, much more fair, and reduces the abuse (and how annoying it is) of closing/open slots.

Editor/Game:

• Remove doodad limit per map or increase it to JNGP levels.
  • Remove or increase NEUTRAL buildings limit to JNGP levels.
  • Object merger.
  • Colorizer or add native support for coloring in the editor.
  • GUI to just "hiding" a multiboard row (it still calculates and everything, so the logic keeps being simple, however it just doesn't show it, it takes a lot more effort and is much less beginner friendly to do a multiboard based on players in the game at every moment).
  • Modular UI
  • Add (maybe) the ability to migrate terrain from a map to another (or)
    migrate everything but the map to another map (including import routes)
    (We get an option to either mix the units with the ones already existing
    or replace them entirely).
  • Allow us to create custom unit race folders (abilities and other stuff too)
    and be able to right click copy/paste entire folders with races to duplicate them.
  • Give us the ability to add Attack/Defense types in addition to the ones already in-game, or at least at the very minimum add a couple extra Attack/Defense types that are "unused" (in case having a dynamic one would mess with too much stuff), so many maps would benefit from this.
  • Allow us to create folders for imports and such.
  • Reduce the amount of clicks needed per action in the world editor, this is due to the editor being made a long time ago, but you shouldn't have to double click to edit for example the import path but rather when you click on it the textbox becomes active, this would be much faster, also don't make the entire list go to the top once you import or change a path.
  • Add multiple importing, rather than have to import things one by one.
  • Add a repository or some kind of support (package manager) for extensions
    for the world editor, for example for stuff like optimizers and such.
  • Add HTTP requests natively, this would enable 1)Leaderboards, 2)Full character load/save for ORPGs and so on.
  • Remove the "100" base stat limit on heroes in regular world editor.
  • Allow us to play Music at 320KBPS/32 bit-float rather than have to use 128kbps/16 bit depth.
  • Show Ability/Unit etc IDs in the editor like JNGP does (or better).
  • Fix the bugs with the Sound editor in which imported music duplicates or triplicates(In view) when you edit path, until you restart the editor.
  • Allow Map Makers to decide if they allow the user to use the player's hotkeys of choice (from a hotkey editor/picker in-game based on the player's preference or the icon position), or the map's hotkeys.
  • (Maybe) Increase Attack Speed/Movement Speed limits (The map maker can choose to have them increased).
  • (Maybe) allow us to modify the minimap in-game (although this might be not possible).
  • (Maybe) allow us to add or remove water in-game.
  • (Maybe) add a more simple pathing system for bigger strategy maps that start having pathing issues once the map hits too many units.
Other:

TriggerHappy made a fairly simple website that lists currently hosted games
on battle.net, but I’m fairly sure it runs on a bot, if you guys could give us a simple
API to bring currently hosted games so that users can Index them for a quicker
way to get into games, it’d be amazing

Currently Hosted - Warcraft 3 Maps

(Maybe give him an API to load maps faster?)

=======
This list is open for improvements, it will be expanded on new requests.

Level 20
I don't know if it is a bug and I would like to report this because it causes us trouble in creating an AI map especially when the AI or computer player is working with dummy units...

Dummy units have locust ability which means they are designed to be uncontrollable by the user. Human players cannot control them but why the computer players can?

I also know that we have remedies for this one but it is not convenient to do them unless there's a reliable fix for it.

You can check on these threads:
[General] - AI controls locust unit
Dummy Units for Computer Players get unwanted orders
[Help] Not allow the computer to use the dummy units (for spells)
Dummies Ignoring Orders when owned by Computer
[Trigger] - Triggerred Spell Works... except when a computer uses it?
[AI] - AI Computer Players can't execute a spell properly with dummy

To be more specific,
- AI sometimes can manipulate the locust swarm ability's units.
* I've already encountered this on melee games where the Crypt Lord uses it.

- AI interrupts the casting of a dummy unit.
* It seems that they are ordering it to move or stop.

- AI can mess your dummy unit's abilities especially autocasts (ex. Bloodlust)
* It seems that they are using it based on their given AI tactical orders and ignores/breaks my triggered order.

etc...

In other words, I want the AI to completely disable its FULL control to their owned units that have locust ability so it will not cause those problems that are stated from above.

I'm hoping for this to be acknowledged somehow (although it's been a decade tho) and looking forward to be fixed on the newer patches =)

As shown in this video, it took me 10 minutes to add new custom folders to the Object Editor.
If I can do it in 10 minutes at 4 am, Blizzard should be able to do it in 5 minutes during the day with a trained engineer.

So this feature is a must for Reforged unless anyone can prove otherwise.

NVS

NVS

Level 2
The haunt style of building - WE unit modifications 'Can Be Built On' (`uibo`) and 'Can Build On' (`ucbo`) - does not behave the same as standard building. This can make it difficult or impossible to use. Standard building shows a construction (i.e. greed/red) indicator displaying whether the building can be placed. It seems to care only about pathing and whether an area is buildable (given certain conditions). This UI feedback is sufficient given how the action works.

However, the haunt style of building functions differently. Yes, the construction indicator is displayed, which is nice. But, it also seems to depend on whether the cursor is hovering over the model of the desired target. Given that the cursor is not shown, it can be difficult to gauge things accurately. Additionally, if the target is visually blocked by a building with a large model, the cursor will be stuck on the blocking unit (without the player realizing). In such cases, it can be impossible to haunt the target unless the camera is adjusted.

The usability and utility of the haunt style of building would be increased if these issues could be resolved. I realize haunting of gold mines by Undead is in the core game, but I believe that addressing the raised concerns would not cause any problems in that regard.

Level 11
It would be nice to have a hotkey to change the variation of doodads that have already been placed on the map (with numpad for example, so you can choose the variation number)

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
When selecting multiple units and setting their mana to full, not all get the whole mana. Please fix this issue otherwise we manually have to do it for each of those units or make due via triggers which aren't melee.

- Allow setting transparency/tint for individual faces/vertex groups
- Option to collectively or individually scale a.) particles, b.) particle speed, c.) particle size, d.) particle area, e.) particle emission rate with model size.
- Option to allow ribbons to wrap the whole texture upon emission/interval, instead of one contiguous wrap for its entire life
- Expiration distance for ribbons and particles
- Option for particles to use materials, and ribbons not to

- Particle latitudes along an axis
- Wrap ribbons
- Ribbon segments (like Particles)
- Create custom lightning effects within the world editor
- Support for chain effects
- Option to have particle tails start at particle location, or only show starting at particle location
- Allow animated texture translation using wrapped areas as texture boundary

- Native to detect source ability/buff/effect during damage detection
- Option to stack buffs if they are from different players, and natives to allow buff owner identification
- Settings for default in-game cam, triggered and in-game (The cam the game resets to upon scrolling the middle mouse button)
- No. More. Visible. Terrain. Seams.
- Adjust and view Day and Night models in-Editor

- Specific and generic ability cast orders
There should still be an option to order dummies/AI to cast any spell based off a default one, alongside specific order ids
- Option to minimize/maximize all
- Option for World Editor to remember minimized items
- Allow negative flying height
- Allow constant height for units/fx, unaffected by terrain
- Allow spell/default attack missiles to do the opposite, and be affected by terrain height

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
A way to save the state/store (played time) of music or a sound as a variable to be able to resume from where it was stopped/paused.
Technically it would be possible now by firing a countdown timer each time the sound or music plays but that would mean one for each sound/music you need instead of just using the music/sound variables.

Remixer

Map Reviewer
Level 31
Give more control over transformation abilities:
1. Allow users to set the duration to Bear Form/Gargoyle Form/Destroyer Form/Crow Form etc. like metamorphosis works, by utilizing the "Duration - Hero" field.
2. Differentiate different transformation abilities from one another (Currently you need to base every single transformation ability on the same unit from different ability) - This does not apply to "Burrow" however, which is an exception from the rest, expand the function to other transformation abilities as well.
3. Allow users to cancel/hide timed life at will (The current native is broken - it kills the unit, instead of canceling timed-life).
4. Metamorphosis roots its duration to the duration that the duration of the first metamorphosis that the unit had. Make it actually obey its current level.

Last but not least:
New native: "Unit - Set unit build style (race)". Currently the unit builds in style which it first had / if a unit transforms from a race to another, it keeps the build style.

EDIT: Never mind you can change the build style by enabling and disabling the abilities by rawIDs.

Last edited:
Level 9
1) Add models, textures, and icons that didn't make it out of Beta/Alpha to the game. Some of those have been recreated/extracted by the community, true, but far from all, and even if some models would be a bit low-quality by today's standards, it still means the game will have new and useful in-game textures for modelers to go wild with.

In same vein and even more importantly, bring back spells that didn't make it out of Beta/Alpha. Having native spells like Charge, or Corpse Explosion, or Seal of Fortitude (temporary targeted max health bonus) would be very useful.

2) Bring back certain Alpha/Beta mechanics, such as different icons for different ranks of the same spell, variable unit models (AFAIK, either ghouls, zombies or skeletons had that functionality), third resource support, race-based command buttons, buildable walls, etc.

3) Merge combat targets and unit classification, and allow us to create our own flags. E.g. so a spell can only target Workers, for instance. AFAIK Starcraft works in a similar way. Also add an ability similar to the new Sundering Blades that modifies damage dealt to specific flags.

4) New native spell ideas:
Ability Level Increase - upgrades have this functionality, shouldn't be too hard to turn it into passive ability. This should work like ability level bonuses in Diablo II.
Ability Sell - a spell that allows other spells to be cast from neutral buildings, optionally for gold/lumber cost. Currently Goblin Lab's Reveal works in that way, so that clearly is possible, and Archimonde's Dark Portal spell is a spell that casts other spells, so that too is possible. This would be really easy for Blizzard to implement. In fact, it would be nice to have at least a few abilities (i.e. single-target missile, single-target instant, AoE instant, AoE channeled, point-blank AoE, shockwave) that do nothing except check for targets affects and cast desired ability upon them, without other limitations (by which I mean Dark Portal currently only accepts unit creation abilities, which is a shame).
Warcraft II Fireball - it was an interesting concept.
A Basic Single-Target Skillshot - self-explanatory. Skillshot that actually stops at first target hit.
Baleful Polymorph - proper targeted transformation spell, not just model swap like Polymorph/Hex.
Item Creation Ability - creates, well, an item. Could create it either in caster's inventory, in target's inventory, at target point, or at caster's feet. Must have option for limited duration. Or just let us add expiration timers to Items.

5) Give us proper control over buffs. Let us modify their durations at runtime, get their handle for hashtables (maybe that is possible with Lua now, I'm not sure), let us access their data (e.g. what damage their deal, or what effect they cause).

6) At least one additional pathing "layer", for underground/underwater movement.

7) Let us properly edit Wander ability. We should be able to modify interval at which random movement occurs, how far the unit moves, whether it should play movement animation/change facing when it moves due to Wander (e.g. for drifting ships), and should it run away when attacks (currently units with Wander do). In addition, a field with a region name that unit shouldn't be able to leave due to Wander would be nice.

8) Fix Breath/Wave type abilities so they can damage Neutral/Allied units.

9) Smartcasting support, like in League of Legends. In same vein, charge-up abilities (hold button to charge up, release to cast).

10) Give us ability to create, modify and manipulate drop tables with triggers. Also make them use user-defined random number instead of 1-100.

11) Let us turn off secondary effects of certain abilities - e.g. Firebolt that doesn't stun, Frost Nova that doesn't cause Frost, etc.

12) Let us import Lightning effects without replacing existing ones.

13) Let us add implicit duration or expiration timers to Special Effects and Lightning Effects created with triggers.

14) Add native damage absorption shield mechanic. A version of Anti-Magic Shell already does that, shouldn't be hard to implement. And, ideally, support for Life/Mana-like bar and numbers for it.

15) Let us edit scale, tinting color and transparency of SFX/projectiles in Object Editor. And let us edit a unit's or doodad's Transparency in Object Editor too.

16) Tileset expansion and improvements (lots of text).
More tilesets, complete with trees/rocks/other doodads, covering at least most common biomes and major WoW zones. May even use compressed WoW textures. Examples could be Volcanic (ash, black cold lava, etc, as opposed to Dungeon's red color scheme, maybe some Dark Iron themed doodads), Teldrassil (purple foliage, bark "ground" and "cliffs", greenish marble (matching Ashenvale doodads)), Silithus/Tanaris (proper sandy desert, with cracked ground, several types of sand, dark rocks, Ahn'Qiraj doodads), Gnomeregan/Kezan (sheet metal, corrugated metal, bricks, oil/sludge spills, etc; would also be very useful for sci-fi maps), Plaguelands (variation of Lordaeron tileset, similar to Ashenvale/Felwood or Dalaran/Dalaran Ruins), Black Morass (dreary brownish mud, clumps of grass, more mud, etc, like WoW's Dustwallow Marsh or Swamp of Sorrow), Terokkar (weird trees and shiny crystals, emulating the feel of Draenei zones in WoW - mostly Terokkar forest, Talador, Azuremist, etc), Eversong (golden foliage, white trees, white stone paths, blood and high elf doodads, etc), Naga (underwater themed, even moreso than Sunken Ruins; kinda like Vashj'ir in WoW).

Additionally, some tilesets could work as either variations of existing ones (kinda like Lordaeron/Village) - Gilneas/Silverpine (Village with dark grass, grey rock, tall pines, etc), Khaz Modan or Ironforge (Lordaeron Winter or Underground with bigger focus on Dwarf architecture and mountains), Zuldazar (Sunken Ruins with Troll architecture), Desolace (Outland, but sand is grey, and using Barrens doodads)

In same way, expand existing tilesets a bit. Add Canopy trees to all tilesets without those; adapt all generic Rock/Rock Spider/Fissures/etc models to all tilesets; add Gorgrond themed doodads to Barrens; fel green lava tiles and doodads to Outlands, etc.

Maybe add a third cliff type (so tileset that could support "dirt", "grass" and "square tiles" cliffs but only supports two of those now would have all three). Better yet, if possible, let mapmakers choose which tile to apply to cliffs.

Make base water color blank white for all tilesets, so tileset's default water color doesn't interfere with water-coloring. Switching tileset would just alter the already existing "Water tinting color" in map options.

And more skyboxes please.

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Ability Level Increase - upgrades have this functionality, shouldn't be too hard to turn it into passive ability. This should work like ability level bonuses in Diablo II.
I'm not sure I follow but can't you do this with Engineering Upgrade?
Ability Sell - a spell that allows other spells to be cast from neutral buildings, optionally for gold/lumber cost. Currently Goblin Lab's Reveal works in that way, so that clearly is possible,
Can't you use a player sharing control with you but not also vision? I guess you could make a dummy item (tome/rune?) that orders the building to cast an ability that's hidden.
Baleful Polymorph - proper targeted transformation spell, not just model swap like Polymorph/Hex.
You could trigger so that when Hex/Polymorph buff is on, the affected unit raven/crow forms into something else. But you'll have to add the ability via trigger and order the affected unit to cast it. If it doesn't work when Polymorph/Hex is active, then a dummy spell could be used instead.
Item Creation Ability
I don't think this is that hard to do with triggers. I mean we should ask for stuff that's literally annoying to workaround like damage detection systems etc.
5) Give us proper control over buffs.
Buffs are the effect of the spells so the duration is integrated in the spell/ability. But I'd love to have an Add Buff action as we only have Remove Buff ones.
and should it run away when attacks (currently units with Wander do)
Even if they have the Can Flee (unit data) to False?
8) Fix Breath/Wave type abilities so they can damage Neutral/Allied units.
You mean like implement the option to. Many spells have target issues. For instance I couldn't make Entangling Roots be cast on air units.
14) Add native damage absorption shield mechanic.
and protoss shields!
Maybe add a third cliff type
"infinite" tileset numbers if possible :D

Level 9
I remembered another one!
17) Let us manipulate individual Doodads with triggers! Play animations, etc.

I don't think this is that hard to do with triggers.
A lot of my proposals are easy to do with triggers. Its still nice to have native variants of all those. Its tidier, it saves hassle of importing, it helps people who don't know how to trigger and are scared of Trigger Editor button, it reduces amount of potential memory leaks, it doesn't introduce new bugs, etc. Plus even for trigger pros new natives would expand their capabilities.

As for item creation, the main point was items with duration, so they would automatically despawn (and preferably show expiration timer, like units).

Buffs are the effect of the spells so the duration is integrated in the spell/ability. But I'd love to have an Add Buff action as we only have Remove Buff ones.
Buffs still carry some kind of data, presumably a snapshot of ability at the moment of casting (in fact this should be interesting to test with new ability editing at runtime). We should have access to that data.
And Buff handle would be extremely useful for all kinds of triggered effects.
Add Buff is very easy with dummy units.

Even if they have the Can Flee (unit data) to False?
No, but Can Flee is needed for other things too (e.g. running away from Invulnerable enemy).

You mean like implement the option to.
Yes, obviously.

Status
Not open for further replies.