• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Feedback] Request Features for JASS and the World Editor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
Quoting my post from a discontinued thread, thanks to @deepstrasz for notifying me. ;)

NEW BIG BATCH OF WISHLIST WHICH MIGHT BE USEFUL TO SOME OF YOU:

SOUNDS
  • Additional attack sounds like Bone Light Bash, Bone Heavy Bash, Bone Heavy Bash, Flesh Light Bash, Flesh Medium Bash, Flesh Medium Bash, Metal Light Stab, Metal Heavy Stab, Metal Medium Stab.
  • The editor'z power to create custom soundsets without replacement of existing ones.
  • Builti-in editor sound and music converter for Warcraft III.
EDIITOR POWER TOOLS
  • Freehand Draw Movement Path - Set movement paths or paint lines and points for unit movement and more effective patroling.
  • Freehand Pathing Paint - Instead of putting boxes of pathing blockers, you may be able to draw as you desired with ease.
  • Shadow Editor - A built-in like Grimoire that allows you to edit shadows by using grayscale paint editor.
  • Create Custom Unit Category - Allows you to make categories rather than naga, undead, humans, night elf, and so on.. Why not be able to make 'fel orcs', 'dark trolls', or 'dwarf' their own respective folders for proper sorting?
  • Auto-Backup - Saves an internal copy of your map in every X minutes and makes it .bak or .blabla file, somewhat like what happens to AutoCAD files speakng of .dwg and .bak file.
  • Previewer in editor regarding of Attack Animation via Backswing and Cast Damage Point for effective and realistic attack animation and damage physics.
  • Changeable Pallette View - be able to view units in a powerful fully alphabetical manner, view unit pallete in list view with embedded previewer.
  • Terrain Brush Presets - Have new brush type like preset hills, mountains, walls, cliffs, and rivers.
  • "The Water Tool" - A special brush that gives water with just one click.
UNIT DATA FIELDS (EXTENDED)
  • "Acquisition Range Type" - Allows units to have not only circular vision but able to choose, Triangular, Linear Path line of sight (Real world), and Vertical!Look Down vision (for some flying units or ufos).
  • Weapon Types - Additional ones like missile (chain), artillery (bounce), instant (splash), missile (meteor), and missile (by two's / three's / fives) for gun modes.
  • Additional Armor Types - Aside from Flesh, Metal, Wood, Stone, can add Water, Plant, Shell, and Rigid Metal.
  • Regeneration Type - New ones like "Only when on Water", " Only when Asleep", and "Only when loaded" in transports or garrisons.
  • De-hardcoded and modifiable abilities like 'Sacrificial Pit' abilities.
  • New Classifications aside from Tauren and Undead, can be Troll, Demon, Human, Elf, Dwarf, and etc... or customizeable.
  • Increase Max Movement Speed Limit.
AI
  • Naval AI.
  • Enable one player to change AI script by triggers.
  • Patrol and scouting AI.

Level 12
AI
  • Naval AI.
  • Enable one player to change AI script by triggers.
  • Patrol and scouting AI.

• Naval AI would be a welcome addition. Fixing the broken behavior of zeppelins would be a start, then maybe it can be expended to include naval units.
  • Changing AI script by triggers might not be possible, but you can get close to that using JASS AI: it is very much possible to send a command to the AI via triggers and have it change the behavior entirely.
  • What do you mean by patrol and scouting AI. Do you want to be able to send a lot of small groups of units to different locations?

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
I would welcome it for Hostile Creeps. Make them more unpredictable by patroling and moving on their own.
Does the ability Wander not work for that? However, they will move randomly like critters and not in a group, organized. This would not work in melee and honestly for campaigns and custom maps, you can use triggers to do it.

Level 30
Does the ability Wander not work for that? However, they will move randomly like critters and not in a group, organized. This would not work in melee and honestly for campaigns and custom maps, you can use triggers to do it.

The Wander Ability makes them non-aggressive. They only attack, if you attack first or it just happens out of nowhere. And even then they flee from you due to the Wander ability. (At least it was like this the last time i testet that)

And while Triggers can do the Job, i agree, you would have to make a nearly perfect Creep AI, that keeps surprising even the Veterans of War3. And then Import it to other Maps, which takes time.

Edit: However let's stop this small discussion and continue with the wishes/demands.

My Request Megapost

Note: Some of these were written before Reforged was announced, and so may be outdated in the long view.

• Perhaps turn the Quests menu into an Info menu, with Quests only being a submenu. It'd be a good place to put notes about the map.
  • Infinite timeouts and saves in multiplayer games
  • Option to Fill Empty Slots with Bots in lobbies, like in Dota 2. It's exhausting to have to set each player individually when testing an 11v11 map.
  • Built-in option for QWER-cast
  • Comprehensive binding options
  • Option for quick cast, with instant and on-release variants
  • Better unit management, larger selection groups
  • Targeting images including linear abilities
  • Allow attachments to play their wielder's animation
  • Remove Movement Speed Limit
  • New abilities for Reforged, please. The old ones are old.

• Load imports upon import, not upon map load/save
  • View imports without going to the Object Editor
  • Copy folders in the Object Editor
  • Copy multiple folders in the Trigger Editor
  • Import a map's terrain, automatically creating missing object data (with the option of exporting source map's imports)
  • Tags for custom object data, and the option to copy all data with a specific tag
  • Option not to overwrite existing data when importing object data
  • Option to automatically add missing terrain tiles when copying terrain

Set unit's current ability cooldown
  • BlzSetUnitAbilityCooldownRemaining(unit u, integer abilId, real cd) (MyPad's name idea)

Modify unit attack range
  • BlzGetUnitAtkRange(takes unit u, integer weapon index returns real)
  • BlzGetUnitTotalAtkRange(takes unit u, integer weapon index returns real)
  • BlzSetUnitAtkRange(unit u, real range, integer weapon index)

When I saw BlzSetAbilityExtendedTooltip, I thought I could finally display scaling ability damage in the tooltip. But the native doesn't even take a unit, and the effect is global. I'd like the option to customize individual unit ability tooltips.
  • BlzSetUnitAbilityxxTooltip(unit u, integer abilID, string text)

• Support for locally adding items to shops
Native to retrieve the unit/object the player is mousing over. I recently tried to recreate League's summon commands, where reactivating the ability orders the summoned unit to do stuff where your mouse is. And boy was it inaccurate for tall structures.
  • BlzGetPlayerMouseObj(takes player p, returns object)

• Enhanced speed and efficiency for selection events. The delay is quite noticeable. Sometimes they don't even fire correctly
  • Custom region shapes (more than four anchor points)
  • Full Damage Detection, with support for multiple damage types
  • Expose the code of default abilities for modification
  • GetTotalAttackDamage(takes u returns integer)
  • Expanded generic events - we would never have to pick player or unit groups and filter units entering playable map area if generic events covered all that shit.
  • Option to automatically write handle destructors when setting var
  • Option to automatically create u groups when a null one is used/referenced
  • Optimize BJs
  • Using python in the Trigger Editor
  • IsAtkIndexEnabled(takes unit u, integer index, returns boolean)
  • EnableUnitAtkIndex(unit u, integer index, boolean true)
  • Modify unit weapon data from triggers
  • Event for attack being launched

• Allow morphing units to adapt to their target unit-type's vertex/team coloring, etc.
  • Make building facing configurable
  • Support for importing Object Data into Campaign Editor
  • Actually change Base Order IDs
  • Turn units into heroes in the Object Editor
  • Option to remove base commands from the Command Bar
  • Detect player keystrokes
  • Allow usage of model formats other than .mdx
  • Map sizes not in multiples of 32
  • Comprehensive base abilities/settings, so that we don't have to code all sorts of silly missiles with buggy height.
  • Terrain Editor rotation wheel for doodads and units (xyz axes, with option to align axes to view)
  • Option to adopt new doodad size when using Replace Doodad (currently, they retain the old scale)
  • Option to automatically add missing terrain tiles when copying terrain
  • Adopt JNGP's features/absorb it, so my technician can stop thinking it's a virus
  • Blizz? Orb Effects? Let them stack?
  • Object groups in the Terrain Editor. When using enormous glows, every other doodad becomes impossible to select
  • Default cameras below 0 height
  • Increase maximum attack indices

For Reforged model editing:
  • A model finalizer with an option to update used textures when they are modified, for a smoother workflow between skinning and modeling
  • Allow .MDX files to make use of seams
Currently, importing meshes with seams to .mdx duplicates the vertices.

• Wrap vertices differently to multiple textures from their geoset's material

- Option for particles to face the direction they're flying
- Support for quad faces
- Option to change particle emitter facing without resorting to animating helpers
- Model viewer where ribbons work
- Model viewer that can simulate motion to preview particle and ribbon trails
- Model viewer that can support game lighting

- Introduce force fields
- Allow more than three particle segments
- Allow animated ribbon emission rate and life span
- Y-Billboard ribbons

- Model viewer that can change bone/object hierarchy and duplicate
- Allow saving animated translations and rotations for cameras
- Allow naming of geosets, their anims, and materials
- Allow saving animated textures
- Allow functional saving between mdl/mdx (Magos' only works halfway)

Last edited:
Level 11
Give an option to allow units to switch between attack 1 and attack 2 depending on the distance of the target. For example, a hunter could automatically use melee attacks against close units, and ranged attacks against distant units.

Level 11
I second the PathExist idea, would make making mazing tower-defense maps a hella lot easier :)

I think that some way of protecting a map from outside modifications would be supper appreciated by the community. We can already do this by hacking the map file so why not make it official.

Could you also allow us to draw on the minimap? A massive amount of maps built around procedural terrain generation could emerge from something like that (and procedurally generated stuff are a big thing in games these days).

Last edited:
Level 2
Add some version control ability to the editor like Git. I currently write triggers and such in notepad++ and then paste them into the world editor when i want to commit the changes i made to the map in order to be able to see what has been changed. More general version control would be great and needed for stuff like object editor.

Add a native to change unit animation cast time and backswing. I wanted to make an ability that decreases the cast time for a unit and since there is no natives for it i figured I had to morph a unit into an alternate form. Using a modified Robo-Goblin ability that seemed to work... at first but then I discovered a minor bug. Robo-Goblin morphed form retains the same cast point and backswing times as the original form for some reason. Just placing the morph variant and standard variant on the map via world edit shows clear differences in cast time. I don't know if it's the same for combat damage point and backswing but I'd consider looking into that too.

So in essence
1. version control.
2. natives for changing animation casts and backswings.
3. Fix Robo-Goblin bug. Haven't tested other morph abilites though.

Level 5
Add natives to fully handle/detect unit's regeneration. One example for condition.
  • natives IsUnitRegenerating whichUnit, whichUnitState takes nothing returns boolean.
And some :
  • Supports unit selection group more than 12.
  • Add natives/functions to handle/detect unit's attack speed. And please, new native on 1.29 only check unit's base attack cooldown. Please add more.
  • Shows unit attack speed/cooldown and movement on UI.
  • Add support to changes building rotation while we start to build it (Like in the game Battle Realms).
  • Fixing bug in some spells and buildings with unit requirements. (Like Sacrifice and Entangled Gold Mine to make it more configureable).
  • And I fully agreed with all of Nestharus requested.
  • Fix Devotion Aura percentage values. As far as i knew, it only works for enemy unit. cmiiw.
  • Natives/functions to detect while unit stat value (Attack damage, hp, mana, armor, attribute, etc.) was changed.
  • Add support for vector (and the other) targeting spells. (Like in dota 2).
  • Ability/Item keys using numbers.
  • More units classification and makes them fully customize and configureable.
  • More configureable Abilities like Carrion Swarm/Shockwave/Breath of Fire and Stampede special effects.
  • And more buggy spells, functions, units to fix.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Add support to changes building rotation while we start to build it (Like in the game Battle Realms).
That would only help the aesthetics as the pathing for buildings is always a square. There is no circular or triangle pathing in Warcraft III. Some doodads/destructibles have it rectangular.
Ability/Item keys using numbers.
Heck, an option to make items stackable.

Level 30
I believe he's simply referring to the visual side. I too would like building facing to be configurable.

Yap. It is kinda boring ya' know, all of the buildings can't be rotated and we have to see them like that for 16 years. Haha.

You can make them face any direction, if you make the Building a temporary unit, place it and then make the unit a building again. However changing it's position or it's ground texture will revert it back to normal.

That would only help the aesthetics as the pathing for buildings is always a square. There is no circular or triangle pathing in Warcraft III. Some doodads/destructibles have it rectangular.

Yeah. That's true. I have however have made a custom Path, which belongs only to this specific building. Rotating the building would make it very weird.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Yap. It is kinda boring ya' know, all of the buildings can't be rotated and we have to see them like that for 16 years. Haha.
You can make them face any direction, if you make the Building a temporary unit, place it and then make the unit a building again. However changing it's position or it's ground texture will revert it back to normal.
Yeah. That's true. I have however have made a custom Path, which belongs only to this specific building. Rotating the building would make it very weird.
The square pathing will be kept but buildings can't be rotated in the editor because they have no movement speed. Only buildings that rotate are the night elven Ancients but they have special animations for that and once they don't have to use the animation they return to the initial facing, towards the screen. I'm curious how they missed it with the Corrupted Protector which doesn't have proper turning animations while rooted.

A thing they could do is to also add random facing for buildings when you construct them because no melee player will waste time on rotating them before placing them.

Level 10
Posted this already in different thread but I was directed here:

An option that when one imports a bunch of models, it would be possible to tick an option in WE that would automatically create new default doodad/object/unit for every imported model.
Would save a lot of time when importing packs with lot of small models

Rui

Rui

Level 41
I've been posting a few suggestions here and there aswell. I'll repost them:
  • Pathing editor, so you can paint pathing at will without relying on blockers. Ideally this would be done without resorting to those air spheres the SC2 Editor had.

• Rejoining feature for BattleNet (disabled by default, but can be enabled in the World Editor). When a player hasn't been defeated, but leaves the game, the game continues, but the lobby reappears in the BattleNet custom game list. A joining player takes the free spot.
    Options like, does the game pause and force players to wait, and so on, can be left for the mapper to decide.

• Unlikely to happen, but: two modes for the World Editor.
    • Classic mode, which displays as it is now.
    • Full mode, which displays the full set of features offered by the SC2 Editor. Logically, the user's actions in classic mode affect the full mode: e..g, copying a unit (in classic) duplicates actors, weapons and the like (in full mode, when modified).

When I saw BlzSetAbilityExtendedTooltip, I thought I could finally display scaling ability damage in the tooltip. But the native doesn't even take a unit, and the effect is global. I'd like the option to customize individual unit ability tooltips.

Suggestion: BlzSetUnitAbilityxxTooltip(unit u, integer abilID, string text)

Last edited:
Level 4
Now that we can easily open old maps using VJass, i wish there would also be support for Umswe GUI trigger options.
There is a lot of irrelevant stuff, so if that is too hard i wish there was support for the most used features by mapmakers. And the single most useful feature is the ability to insert custom scripts into every option of GUI triggers (standart Trigger editor only allows a standalone "custom script" action). This is really convinient for using local variables and arithmerics with GUI triggers.
So if no Umswe support is possible I would like to at least have this option of inserting custom scripts inside actions, conditions and events.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
I would love it if we had more than 2 (except Main and Optional Quest) rubrics/categories for the Quest Log for organisational purposes. Say you want to add some text about new items, units you get. The Log has every message you get cluttered and after too many they might even overwrite each other(?).

Interesting native, but shouldn't abilId be of type integer?
Pardon. Edited.

I would love it if we had more than 2 (except Main and Optional Quest) rubrics/categories for the Quest Log for organisational purposes. Say you want to add some text about new items, units you get. The Log has every message you get cluttered and after too many they might even overwrite each other(?).

+1. Perhaps even turn the Quests menu into an Info menu, with Quests only being a submenu. It'd be a good place to put notes about the map.

To add to my list:
- Support for locally adding items to shops
- Map sizes not in multiples of 32
- Terrain Editor rotation wheel for doodads and units (xyz axes, with option to align axes to view)
- Option to adopt new doodad size when using Replace Doodad (currently, they retain the old scale)
- Option to automatically add missing terrain tiles when copying terrain

Last edited:
Level 11
I would love it if we had more than 2 (except Main and Optional Quest) rubrics/categories for the Quest Log for organisational purposes.
This would be very nice. Hopefuly Reforged will bring something in that area, with the future customizable UI?

- Map sizes not in multiples of 32
Oh my god, yes!

- Terrain Editor rotation wheel for doodads and units (xyz axes, with option to align axes to view)
I support this! It's already possible with z axis, using Ctrl + click (placing doodads used to drive me crazy before I knew this), but it would be nice to do it with x and y axes.

- Option to adopt new doodad size when using Replace Doodad (currently, they retain the old scale)
And an option to keep doodad altitude when copying-pasting :)

Last edited:
Level 5
When my map crashed, I want to know which JASS sentence the game last executed. Is there a way reforged can support this feature?

• Native to retrieve the unit/object the player is mousing over.
I recently tried to recreate League's summon commands, where reactivating the ability orders the summoned unit to do stuff where your mouse is. And boy was it inaccurate for tall structures.

Additions:
  • Enhanced speed and efficiency for selection events in general. The delay is quite noticeable.
  • Built-in option for QWER-cast
  • Comprehensive key-binding options
  • Object groups in the Terrain Editor. When using enormous glows, every other doodad becomes impossible to select.
  • Default cameras below 0 height
  • IsAtkIndexEnabled(takes unit u, integer index, returns boolean)
  • EnableUnitAtkIndex(unit u, integer index, boolean true)
  • Modify unit weapon data from triggers
For Reforged model editing:
A model finalizer with an option to update used textures when they are modified, for a smoother workflow between skinning and modeling

• Allow .MDX files to make use of seams
Currently, importing meshes with seams to .mdx duplicates the vertices.

Last edited:
Level 2
Here my wishlists. I love to and want to make more entertaining usemaps.

=============Plz fix it, I begging you. plz. I think these are the Super Villans of usemap making
-Fix memory leaks
Most important things are group leaks and location leaks. of course, other leaks suck too.

-Fix wait action.
Action - wait(0.01) doesn't work well, it actually wait 0.11 sec.
it's very very uncomfortable for making speedy custom spells.

-Make GUI trigger script efficient.
GUI uses too many BJs, which makes trigger almost twice slower than jass.
So, replace BJs with natives as many as possible.

=============Personal preferences, may be not important.
-(Object Editor,OE)Enable multiple effects of spell, we can add many effects in spell's one category ex)target, but only first one has effect.

-(OE)Make possible to edit spell's baseId to use similar skills individually.

-(GUI)Add option of auto destroying in 'creating a special effect', default as 'destroy'

-(OE)Make option for ability icon display or not.

-(OE)Make ability adding stats by percent. for example) int + 30%, hp +25%,

-(OE)Make possible choose multiple things in object editor.
For example, choose 16 units at once and copy paste to other map.

Here are additional suggestions.

-Remove limit of movement speed, max 522 is not good at all.

-Expand tilesets more than 16.

-Break the limit of values in Object Editor.
for example, hp, dmg are limited under 500000.
of course. we can break this limit using shift key.
Anyway, I haven't gotten any reasonable purpose of this limits since I start making maps.
It's just uncomfortable and useless.
There must be no limit in WE.

-Improve import manager.
For example, when we import a icon, we have to resize it, convert it with other programs.
Very uncomfortable.
So importing manager has to have an ability to convert imported files to appropriate format automatically.

-Improve icon choosing window.
When we make custom items, units etc, we want to change the icon of them.
And then we have to search icon one by one. It's timewasting and awful.
How about this?
When we change icon, a window shows all icons including imported icons, of course in seperated categories.
==============