• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft III Reforged - Artistic/Textures/UI Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
The game needs to look more saturated. I repeat, the realism comes from the models, not from the textures/colors.
I prefer clearness though so things could be distinguished.
Also, @Augustus and @Blackcat enough with the double-multiposting. Write everything in one post. You can copy from one post to another and delete the surplus.
Also, is it just me or does the remaster have a slight fog effect? Not entirely sure I like that.
Those images aren't how the actual HD looks like. They're bad quality.
Maybe we should also take into consideration that Blizzard was afraid people would accusing them of making it too much like WoW, so they made the colors darker.
Saturation like that might make things blurry. I wouldn't want that because honestly Warcraft III didn't have that on highest video options and resolution.

Level 39
The game needs to look more saturated. I repeat, the realism comes from the models, not from the textures/colors.

I'm not really following your logic here. You say that the problem lies in the models being too realistic, but your suggested fix is more saturation? Saturation has everything to do with the textures and nothing to do with the models. I might be misunderstanding what you're saying.

I do agree that the textures should be more saturated though.

Level 1
To be honest, I'm definitely loving the direction they are taking this remaster in, but there are a couple of things that could be improved prior to the release.

Characters models:

Contrary to the OP, I'd say that the character models are not cartoony enough. The main reason being that, compared to the original WC3, the characters themselves have much more realistic proportions and thus are harder to read during battles.
It would be great if Reforged took an even more stylized, painterly approach to its direction.

I think HotS has some great examples of this. Take a look at the hand-painted textures on Arthas, compared to the more detailed, realistic rendering of Reforged. Apart from being more pronounced, it feels much more consistent with WoW's direction too.

Arthas_Crown_Prince.jpg

UI:

I like how the HUD seems a lot lighter, however, the exact scale of the elements and positioning might need some further tweaking. I agree that the lack of any background for the character portrait seems weird.

I'm not a fan of a more 3D look of the icons though, which most apparent on the character and hero icons.
Again, we have this masterfully crafted, established iconography of Warcraft and within it, these 3D faces really stick out.

fE3Mwg4.png

Level 7
The HD arts may be affected by WOW partially. However, most models such as Jaina Proudmoore, Uther and footman look great.

About models:
However, I don't like Paladin's haircut and beard. The classic Paladin looks good. The Arthas's shoulder armor and hammer exhibit too much WOW elements. The tauren's weapon, wood, looks awkward. I just prefer the original tauren model.

About UI:
The classic portait looks great. A frame is needed for the reforged portait. A head portait is enough. Additionally, the insights into unit’s face and expression are also missing.

Edit: Every one focused on the gameplay and HD model things of the reforged. It seems that environment, water and shadow renderings as well as 3D sound effect of the reforged are rarely focused on. Are these graphical things improved and satisfactory?

Edit2: Compared with the HD models of units, I noticed that little graphical improvements on the destructables, trees and doodads have been done in the demo reforged game (see the cutting video). Have those models been well reforged? I just concern there will be too much difference between the characters and surrounding environment on graphical details.

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
The classic portait looks great. A frame is needed for the reforged portait. A head portait is enough. Additionally, the insights into unit’s face and impression are also missing.
A thing I don't like is that some portraits are seen from a distance compared to others where you only get to see the head which is what should be seen with its expressions and all that.

Level 2
I would like some ability with two cast points, something like you fix one point and use the second one to fix its direction, like Viktor Laser on league, it would expand our imagination

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
As you can see Blademaster (Heroes models in general) is too small. And where is the glow that every hero had? It was good...
You people are way too irascible. If you'd take the time to watch the Reforged Culling of Stratholme gameplay video and inform yourself a bit beforehand you'd realize some of these questions will have their answer as: Reforged is still in development.

Level 11
Contrary to the OP, I'd say that the character models are not cartoony enough. The main reason being that, compared to the original WC3, the characters themselves have much more realistic proportions and thus are harder to read during battles.
It would be great if Reforged took an even more stylized, painterly approach to its direction.
My concern was about buildings being way too cartoony (and I hold that position :p), and units having absurd proportions (tiny head, huge weapons and shoulderplates), which are not pleasant to look at.
But you have a point: as we discussed before, the issue of units proportions could be addressed by having exaggerated proportions like in the current game. It means increasing the size of some body parts, mostly the head. If weapon and shoulderplate size coud be reduced as well, I'd be delighted. Even if I'm not a big fan of the picture of Arthas you linked, it would be great if the result was somewhat close to it.
The idea is to find the right balance between having some exaggeration, but no too much, to keep the game as faithful as possible to the original one.

About UI:
The classic portait looks great. A frame is needed for the reforged portait. A head portait is enough. Additionally, the insights into unit’s face and expression are also missing.
A thing I don't like is that some portraits are seen from a distance compared to others where you only get to see the head which is what should be seen with its expressions and all that.
I second that! Units will have to have enough facial expressions though, so they don't look too stiff. I hope grunts will show their angry berserk face in the portrait :)

Level 5
They made Arthas too young or effeminate compared to the original game and that concept art. Arthas had that arrogant look. Now he doesn't anymore and makes it look unbelievable to what he becomes and how he acts.
Exactly!
Oh... and Blademaster's sword is a bit too long in Re4ged. :c

Last edited:
Level 2
When i saw the Announcement Video on Youtube, i was a little bit scared as, even though the models look great, the way the units moved in their environment felt kinda cold and the unit models animations felt isolated. I always loved Warcraft 3 because the styles fit together perfectly, there was nothing which felt out of place. The gameplay footage then already took away some of my fears as the composition of the humans in their base and their surrendings was more fitting. Of course there are still some adjusments to do which have been named already:

1) The scaling of the heroes can be increased.
2) The proportions of Arthas towards his hammer do not fit for me aswell.
3) I would like to see more distinction for the units Models, so that even in a bigger battle you always can find each type of unit. --> in that regard i'd also like the return of hero glowing or something like that.
4)I think the charm and the distinction of the graphics of warcraft 3 came alot through the contrast of some colors while still fitting the style of everything around. It felt as if each model had been textured and then each got some unique part, filled with the player colors, which made it all look that great. So i could imagine, that some brighter colors and some more contrasts would not hurt the look of Warcraft 3 Reforged.

All that said, im totally aware that this is in development and probably most of these things will be attended in some way or another. I definitely can't wait for it and as a long-time player of warcraft 3 i'm pretty sure, that Blizzard will as always release a unique, A-grade, product, which may not satisfy all expectations, bu most of them.

Level 21

aSKRvMB.jpg

yyezOUd.jpg

Also, is it just me or does the remaster have a slight fog effect? Not entirely sure I like that.
The terrain textures look zoomed out compared to original. Originally they had this fake 3D effect that made them look really awesome. It made it so you didn't realize the map is lacking in doodads.
Compared to that the new one blends together too much, so you can see the exact elevation. At that point it's obvious that the texture is flat, which makes it look inferior.

Level 14

The terrain textures look zoomed out compared to original. Originally they had this fake 3D effect that made them look really awesome. It made it so you didn't realize the map is lacking in doodads.
Compared to that the new one blends together too much, so you can see the exact elevation. At that point it's obvious that the texture is flat, which makes it look inferior.

I wholeheartedly agree with that. I really wish they consider adding that effect since it was so integral to Warcrat 3's visual style.

On another note, I am beginning to suspect unit proportion discrepancies look so jarring because of the way unit models are made. Given that they will release the tools used to made the models, and that they'll be available in the World Editor, I think we'll get "unit creation options" similar to WoW's character creator, which would allow for rudimentary changes in the world editor, such as adding Hero Glow or swapping the weapon in hand.

Don't count on my prediction at all, but if I am right, it will explain why Arthas and a Footman have essentially the same proportions, only at different scales.

Level 1
The idea is to find the right balance between having some exaggeration, but no too much, to keep the game as faithful as possible to the original one.

Agree. I think there's definitely room for improvement here for Reforged.

Level 28
The Artstyle looks pretty awesome tbh. However, I don't like the way they changed the UI, the original one was much better for my taste. (Yeah I know it's not that different from the original but still, I'm used to it :p)

Last edited:
Level 6
I love that Pete recognizes that the human models still need work. He appreciates the grunt the most and so do I.

The classic team will publish the map making tools before releasing reforge. Check out the interview with B2W.

Confident that this is going to be good.

Edit: In my opinion this interview is a must watch. Some really good questions and answers!

Last edited:
Level 6
BLIZZARD, PLEASE! I BEG YOU! Please make the Footman look more like this! I have been DREAMING of seeing this exact model in World of Warcraft. I want to see it in W3R too. It is SO perfect! The one you have one looks similar but not quite there! Please! I beg you! The reason I love it so much is because it looks darn epic with just the right amount of detail. This is what realism should look like in Warcraft. The one you have right now has just a few too many unnecessary details.

d6092ae47971d67c13639add183b9318.jpeg

1200px-Warcraft_III_Human_Campaign.jpg

16eb5c94620de88fd44c5a4954a9a0fc.jpg

Here is also a great fan effort.

i6kNbZzW2k0.jpg

Level 5
I'd love to see different variants of footmen for different human countries, like the already seen Lordaeron Footmen, then Stormwind Footmen then for example Kul Tiras footmen etc. :D They could all have their respectable faction crest on their shields or armor. :)

Level 6
I'd love to see different variants of footmen for different human countries, like the already seen Lordaeron Footmen, then Stormwind Footment then for example Kul Tiras footmen etc. :D They could all have their respectable faction crest on their shields or armor. :)

Man that would be so epic!! I can hardly contain my excitement. What about a Blood Elf equivalent of the footman too? The old one is just a reskin of the Captain footman. The Footman is my favorite Warcraft unit and I really hope it gets the love it deserves.

Level 8
For people saying there would take a lot of time before people start making things that we already have on hive database (custom models, custom textures), here's what i did today
nb6c1y.png

I know it's not really the same style as Reforged models, and it is not finished... But isn't it better than nothing xD
And yes, wow rips, noone likes it

Level 11
BLIZZARD, PLEASE! I BEG YOU! Please make the Footman look more like this! I have been DREAMING of seeing this exact model in World of Warcraft. I want to see it in W3R too. It is SO perfect! The one you have one looks similar but not quite there! Please! I beg you! The reason I love it so much is because it looks darn epic with just the right amount of detail. This is what realism should look like in Warcraft. The one you have right now has just a few too many unnecessary details.

d6092ae47971d67c13639add183b9318.jpeg
Well, apart from the cloak, the new footman already looks like a lot the hero of the first pic you linked. To me, that's the problem: he looks like a hero, not the regular soldier he's supposed to be.
However, I wouldn't throw the footman model out, because it's a very nice model (except for the pauldrons size! :p) and it would be great as a captain unit, for example.

We could make something similiar to units in They Are Billions game.
When footman kills X units it becomes captain.
I don't know about changing the model, it seems complicated because classic and Reforged will work on the same engine, with crossplay etc, so changing the model of a unit might break things. But a rank system depending on the units killed could be interesting. Or just the kills counter, that would be neat.

By the way, Pete Stilwell said he was not happy with the terrain and there is still work to be done with tiles. We can expect changes in that area in the future.

@HateCrew: You made all that in one day?

Level 7
I don't know exactly what but Arthas's face is missing something... They could try to work it a bit (the golden detail of the shoulder pads is greatly appreciated).

full

Here is also a great fan effort.

i6kNbZzW2k0.jpg

This model is so gorgeous... Just perfect.
I think they should try to get closer to this style.

Level 8
Well yeah, an hour or so since i got back from work...
And it was not that hard it was basicly putting select wow model parts to a base mesh that i already have, which is possibly easier than it takes to make some custom models using wc3 textures...

Something like this took more time to do because i had to use some parts that required some "creative thinking"
kd27v4.jpg

For example chest is made using modifyed motorcycle mesh from wow...
Or above posted warcraft reborn footman and my new version which i mostly edited the textures, added some new parts and stuff... (In the end it turned out a lot more cartoony xD)
29y2v5s.jpg

Or here's a kul tiras footman i made by basicly retexturing a wow stone statue doodad that was somewhere in kul tiras
KulTirasFootman.png

But it is all simple geoset merging and modifying some meshes, which is probably plausable with new Reforded models

About reforged footman, yeah it looks a lot more like a captain of a hero footman. If i remember from wc3 unit guide the footman was described allmost like a militia status unit, different from "plate wearing noble footman of old wars". So yeah a more basic armored style and design could benefit the lore and gameplay visibility...
And definitivly the shoulder pads are tad too big (also i'm a big fan of "offset" style different looking left and right shoulder pad from the original concept art) and the shield could be more basic, like original concept and in the original model

Level 11
Well yeah, an hour or so since i got back from work...
And it was not that hard it was basicly putting select wow model parts to a base mesh that i already have, which is possibly easier than it takes to make some custom models using wc3 textures...

Something like this took more time to do because i had to use some parts that required some "creative thinking"
kd27v4.jpg

For example chest is made using modifyed motorcycle mesh from wow...
Or above posted warcraft reborn footman and my new version which i mostly edited the textures, added some new parts and stuff... (In the end it turned out a lot more cartoony xD)
29y2v5s.jpg

Or here's a kul tiras footman i made by basicly retexturing a wow stone statue doodad that was somewhere in kul tiras
KulTirasFootman.png

But it is all simple geoset merging and modifying some meshes, which is probably plausable with new Reforded models

About reforged footman, yeah it looks a lot more like a captain of a hero footman. If i remember from wc3 unit guide the footman was described allmost like a militia status unit, different from "plate wearing noble footman of old wars". So yeah a more basic armored style and design could benefit the lore and gameplay visibility...
And definitivly the shoulder pads are tad too big (also i'm a big fan of "offset" style different looking left and right shoulder pad from the original concept art) and the shield could be more basic, like original concept and in the original model
Well the results of your work is quite decent actually. First I wasn't sure that this kind of WoW-rip-based model would be accepted in the Hive database, but apparently it will probably be (see this thread and Archian's response).
It's a relief actually! Even if there will be a long time before we catch up with all the models we currently have, it means there is going to be some custom models faster than I feared. Don't know about buildings though, I suppose they are more difficult to create.

Well the results of your work is quite decent actually. First I wasn't sure that this kind of WoW-rip-based model would be accepted in the Hive database, but apparently it will probably be (see this thread and Archian's response).
It's a relief actually! Even if there will be a long time before we catch up with all the models we currently have, it means there is going to be some custom models faster than I feared. Don't know about buildings though, I suppose they are more difficult to create.

Even buildings can be made actually like HateCrew said we made alot of HD wow based models for both WC3 remake and custom concepts

Level 11
Yes I know buildings can be made, but I was just assuming it was harder than regular units. It was just a supposition, because I'm quite clueless about modeling :p

Level 1
My criticism of the game would be that, they are focusing too much on the models and not much on the animations or technical aspects, yes, that's what a remaster is about, that it looks current and more current graphics but comparing it to HD mods that they already exist for the original game, there is not much difference more than the UI, I hope that they forget about the compatibility with the old game and are encouraged more, that they expand the editor of worlds (especially native ones related to the mouse and that the animations of the legs and torso are separated: P) when the units attack blood or sparks depending on their armor (too much retailer?) or things like that, that give a more realistic touch but in technical aspect and not so graphic, shadows are a very good hit, much better than the dark spot on the floor

Level 4
Oh My Hatecrew that is great stuff. I was worried it might take time to get some cool added models but apparently there will be a database before the game comes out knowing the modders here YES!!!

Jumbo

Hosted Project GR
Level 19
I'm personally not too concerned by the new graphics. I agree that the Footman should be toned down a bit and made more easily distinguishable. The ghoul also needs some work in my opinion, as right now it doesn't look scary enough.
The character faces in the cutscenes are pretty bad and show clear signs of WIP which is fine since it was only a test version for Blizzcon. About the realism style: Frankly, I like it as it looks more like the HD Cinematics found in Warcraft 3 and WoW, making it easier to compare the ingame with the cutscenes and immerse yourself in it. At the same time I believe that the plastic look of HOTS and especially Starcraft 2 is something to be avoided very rigidly, cause to me the plastic look of the latter makes it very hard for me to enjoy.
In sum I trust that Blizzard will end up with good visuals for this Reforged Warcraft 3.

Last edited:
Level 11
What do you guys think of these pauldrons?
betrayal__arthas_menethil__by_volendor-dc14vpj.jpg
Here, they're pretty much OK but it's a different armour?:
Arthas.jpg

Normal hammer?
prince_arthas_by_tamplierpainter-d3g0ks9.jpg
The two drawings nailed pretty nicely the original style of Warcraft III, especially the second one :) Exaggerated proportions, but in a reasonable and balanced way. Pauldrons and hammer look awesome, it's very good overall (though the footman/captain's pauldrons are very slightly oversized, but it is very subtle and not very disturbing - just being picky here)
As for the cinematic screenshot, well it is Warcraft III, obviously; however, I always found very odd that Arthas had hands bigger than his head (the proportion issue is not quite new, it all started there! :p)
Also, in the screenshot, I can't help but notice that Arthas doesn't have that juvenile teenager face he has in Reforged. Of course he was already corrupted by the Lich King by then, and he had spent a few months in freezing Northrend, but he was just at the beginning of his path as a Death Knight, so his face was probably similar to the one he had before being corrupted.

The two drawings nailed pretty nicely the original style of Warcraft III, especially the second one :) Exaggerated proportions, but in a reasonable and balanced way. Pauldrons and hammer look awesome, it's very good overall (though the footman/captain's pauldrons are very slightly oversized, but it is very subtle and not very disturbing - just being picky here)
As for the cinematic screenshot, well it is Warcraft III, obviously; however, I always found very odd that Arthas had hands bigger than his head (the proportion issue is not quite new, it all started there! :p)
Also, in the screenshot, I can't help but notice that Arthas doesn't have that juvenile teenager face he has in Reforged. Of course he was already corrupted by the Lich King by then, and he had spent a few months in freezing Northrend, but he was just at the beginning of his path as a Death Knight, so his face was probably similar to the one he had before being corrupted.

To be honest I havent seen any better Arthas than this:
maxresdefault.jpg

I mean they could take it from WoW cinematic team and change textures if they wish to make it's style like the one they came up with

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
(though the footman/captain's pauldrons are very slightly oversized, but it is very subtle and not very disturbing - just being picky here)
maxresdefault.jpg
The idea for such shoulder armour to be upward like that is to protect the head when the shoulders are raised. However, in Reforged models, we see that they are blocking vision even when most units are relaxed.
The problem is that you can't have peripheral vision when fighting with those pauldrons as the arms are always raised during combat.

The proportions of this one are pretty accurate as a dwarf:
warcraft-3-clipart-8.jpg

Level 11
The idea for such shoulder armour to be upward like that is to protect the head when the shoulders are raised. However, in Reforged models, we see that they are blocking vision even when most units are relaxed.
The problem is that you can't have peripheral vision when fighting with those pauldrons as the arms are always raised during combat.
Yes, I get the idea, though these pauldrons actually only serve aesthetics purposes in Warcraft, because such armour pieces didn't exist in history (IRL) without a reason :) It's just impossible to fight with that kind of pauldron, because of the vision issue as you mentioned but not only: that sort of huge armour piece would greatly reduce the ability to move the arms.
Actually, in the western Late Middle Ages, there had been a lot experimentation with shoulderplate armours, in order to find the best balance between mobility and protection, and to my knowledge, nothing close to Warcraft armours was ever created. Most knights would use gorget armour (neck protection) along with nearly flat pauldrons instead, or sometimes a shoulderplate armour with an upward part like the hero's left pauldron in the cinematic screenshot, but way smaller (like this, the armour on the right).
But of course I'm aware Warcraft is not the real world but a non-realistic heroic-fantasy video game, so a bit of exaggeration doesn't hurt, as long as it remains sensible :)

Level 3
For me, the footman concept is a good one, he looks like the footman in the cinematics(The infernal and Thrall's vision both had footmen that looked similar to the Reforged version)
But he could use work in a few areas.
1. His armor is too dark, it went from white to dark grey, at the least certain parts of it should be highlighted to be a lot lighter and more noticable.
2. Pauldrons are a bit too big, at the least they shouldn't be taller than his head.
3. He is a bit thin and small, he looks small compared to the villagers in the culling
4: He might look a bit elaborate for an early unit, I think it'd be super cool if Blizzard looked into having texture swaps for Unit upgrades, kind of like how troll headhunter had a model swap/upgrade for berserker, give units like the footman more flat-matte armor that is mostly grey, and add the more elaborate gold and borders/shine/etc with subsequent upgrades.

I think the Grunts are perfect, I don't think they're too big either, Orcs have changed a lot since War2, they're definitely depicted as significantly larger and stronger than almost all humans(Even most leadership position humans). Grunts themselves are about twice the strength and durability of a footman, so they should look the part.

Honestly I disagree with a lot of people here thinking that it needs to be done over or drastically changed. I think most of the proportions look much better than before, and if you listened to people and went with more cartoony proportions it would actually look MORE like heroes of the storm.(Which I don't find it does at all, despite some seeing a resemblance.)
Look at a HoTs footman, big head, big hands/feet, simple armor. This game's art-style looks nothing like WoW or HoTs imo. (In fact I'd say the SC2 Warcraft 3 remake has more of a WoW look than this.)

Some proportions are bad though, mainly Arthas, he looks terrible. He has the head and neck of an elven woman and the shoulders and body of a tauren.. His little tiny girly head looks ridiculous. He needs a much larger neck and head and a much less feminine face.(Look at how he looked in the ending cinematic for instance.)

Secondly, giant dwarfs? Or Tiny footmen?
I think the footmen need to be sized about 10% bigger, and the dwarf needs to be shrunk by about the same. The Dwarf is huge, even compared to the knight he looks tall. (To be fair, vanilla Warcraft 3 dwarves were also as tall as footmen, but this is way more noticable.
In that same vein, units that seemed fine in War3, now look weird with more realism applied.
1. Knights are tiny compared to footmen in War3, but reforged makes it more noticeable, they should be larger
2.Same with kodos and other mounted units, the units on their mount are half that size of a normal unit.

Finally: Tiny air units, this was a problem in War3 always, but it looks worse with more realism, the air units are so flimsy and tiny, they need to be more reasonable to match the new realistic proportions.

Other than that, I don't really like the troll headhunter or Tauren, they look too much like WoW characters and less like the units they're meant to be. The original tauren didn't have that sort of uncanny human-like rounded face, he was much more "minotaur" looking. The troll also has that goofy WoW troll lankyness, and is lacking the sharpness of the War3 trolls.

Something is also needed to make the units stick out more in the environment, idk if outlines would do the trick, but I know that'd be seen as too cartoony, but maybe the future lighting upgrades will be enough to make the units not blend in to the BG so much.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.