1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Reforged Warcraft III Reforged - Artistic/Textures/UI Feedback

Discussion in 'Patch & Reforged Discussion' started by Sieben, Nov 4, 2018.

1. Whisper

Whisper

Resources:
    Resources:
    ok. Thread can be closed then. Who wants fb.

2. Sieben

Sieben

Resources:
    Resources:
    My concern was about buildings being way too cartoony (and I hold that position :p), and units having absurd proportions (tiny head, huge weapons and shoulderplates), which are not pleasant to look at.
    But you have a point: as we discussed before, the issue of units proportions could be addressed by having exaggerated proportions like in the current game. It means increasing the size of some body parts, mostly the head. If weapon and shoulderplate size coud be reduced as well, I'd be delighted. Even if I'm not a big fan of the picture of Arthas you linked, it would be great if the result was somewhat close to it.
    The idea is to find the right balance between having some exaggeration, but no too much, to keep the game as faithful as possible to the original one.

I second that! Units will have to have enough facial expressions though, so they don't look too stiff. I hope grunts will show their angry berserk face in the portrait :)

3. EredarArbeiterYU

EredarArbeiterYU

Resources:
    Resources:
    Exactly!
    Oh... and Blademaster's sword is a bit too long in Re4ged. :c

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  4. Deadworker

Deadworker

Resources:
    Resources:
    When i saw the Announcement Video on Youtube, i was a little bit scared as, even though the models look great, the way the units moved in their environment felt kinda cold and the unit models animations felt isolated. I always loved Warcraft 3 because the styles fit together perfectly, there was nothing which felt out of place. The gameplay footage then already took away some of my fears as the composition of the humans in their base and their surrendings was more fitting. Of course there are still some adjusments to do which have been named already:

1) The scaling of the heroes can be increased.
    2) The proportions of Arthas towards his hammer do not fit for me aswell.
    3) I would like to see more distinction for the units Models, so that even in a bigger battle you always can find each type of unit. --> in that regard i'd also like the return of hero glowing or something like that.
    4)I think the charm and the distinction of the graphics of warcraft 3 came alot through the contrast of some colors while still fitting the style of everything around. It felt as if each model had been textured and then each got some unique part, filled with the player colors, which made it all look that great. So i could imagine, that some brighter colors and some more contrasts would not hurt the look of Warcraft 3 Reforged.

All that said, im totally aware that this is in development and probably most of these things will be attended in some way or another. I definitely can't wait for it and as a long-time player of warcraft 3 i'm pretty sure, that Blizzard will as always release a unique, A-grade, product, which may not satisfy all expectations, bu most of them.

5. Xonok

Xonok

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Pics

The terrain textures look zoomed out compared to original. Originally they had this fake 3D effect that made them look really awesome. It made it so you didn't realize the map is lacking in doodads.
    Compared to that the new one blends together too much, so you can see the exact elevation. At that point it's obvious that the texture is flat, which makes it look inferior.

6. SMBComix

SMBComix

Resources:
    Resources:
    Honestly I think the art direction is about perfect tbh.

7. WerBackIII

WerBackIII

Resources:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:

I wholeheartedly agree with that. I really wish they consider adding that effect since it was so integral to Warcrat 3's visual style.

On another note, I am beginning to suspect unit proportion discrepancies look so jarring because of the way unit models are made. Given that they will release the tools used to made the models, and that they'll be available in the World Editor, I think we'll get "unit creation options" similar to WoW's character creator, which would allow for rudimentary changes in the world editor, such as adding Hero Glow or swapping the weapon in hand.

Don't count on my prediction at all, but if I am right, it will explain why Arthas and a Footman have essentially the same proportions, only at different scales.

8. Arvell

Arvell

Resources:
    Resources:
    Agree. I think there's definitely room for improvement here for Reforged.

9. KaszankaSzatanka

KaszankaSzatanka

Resources:
    Resources:
    Can get earlier access to the modeling tool?

10. Warseeker

Warseeker

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    The Artstyle looks pretty awesome tbh. However, I don't like the way they changed the UI, the original one was much better for my taste. (Yeah I know it's not that different from the original but still, I'm used to it :p)

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  11. WerBackIII

WerBackIII

Resources:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    You will still be able to use the original UI, and a "reforged" version of the original UI.

12. Blackcat

Blackcat

Resources:
    Resources:
    I love that Pete recognizes that the human models still need work. He appreciates the grunt the most and so do I.

The classic team will publish the map making tools before releasing reforge. Check out the interview with B2W.

Confident that this is going to be good.

Edit: In my opinion this interview is a must watch. Some really good questions and answers!

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  13. Augustus

Augustus

Resources:
    Resources:
    BLIZZARD, PLEASE! I BEG YOU! Please make the Footman look more like this! I have been DREAMING of seeing this exact model in World of Warcraft. I want to see it in W3R too. It is SO perfect! The one you have one looks similar but not quite there! Please! I beg you! The reason I love it so much is because it looks darn epic with just the right amount of detail. This is what realism should look like in Warcraft. The one you have right now has just a few too many unnecessary details.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is also a great fan effort.

[​IMG]

14. EredarArbeiterYU

EredarArbeiterYU

Resources:
    Resources:
    I'd love to see different variants of footmen for different human countries, like the already seen Lordaeron Footmen, then Stormwind Footmen then for example Kul Tiras footmen etc. :D They could all have their respectable faction crest on their shields or armor. :)

15. Augustus

Augustus

Resources:
    Resources:
    Man that would be so epic!! I can hardly contain my excitement. What about a Blood Elf equivalent of the footman too? The old one is just a reskin of the Captain footman. The Footman is my favorite Warcraft unit and I really hope it gets the love it deserves.

16. Whisper

Whisper

Resources:
    Resources:
    [​IMG]
    This one looks awesome!.

We could make something similiar to units in They Are Billions game.
    When footman kills X units it becomes captain.

17. HateCrew

HateCrew

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    For people saying there would take a lot of time before people start making things that we already have on hive database (custom models, custom textures), here's what i did today
    [​IMG]

I know it's not really the same style as Reforged models, and it is not finished... But isn't it better than nothing xD
    And yes, wow rips, noone likes it

18. Sieben

Sieben

Resources:
    Resources:
    Well, apart from the cloak, the new footman already looks like a lot the hero of the first pic you linked. To me, that's the problem: he looks like a hero, not the regular soldier he's supposed to be.
    However, I wouldn't throw the footman model out, because it's a very nice model (except for the pauldrons size! :p) and it would be great as a captain unit, for example.

I don't know about changing the model, it seems complicated because classic and Reforged will work on the same engine, with crossplay etc, so changing the model of a unit might break things. But a rank system depending on the units killed could be interesting. Or just the kills counter, that would be neat.

By the way, Pete Stilwell said he was not happy with the terrain and there is still work to be done with tiles. We can expect changes in that area in the future.

@HateCrew: You made all that in one day?

19. Juveqis

Juveqis

Resources:
    Resources:
    I don't know exactly what but Arthas's face is missing something... They could try to work it a bit (the golden detail of the shoulder pads is greatly appreciated).

Comparison of the different faces of Arthas
    [​IMG]

This model is so gorgeous... Just perfect.
    I think they should try to get closer to this style.

20. HateCrew

HateCrew

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Well yeah, an hour or so since i got back from work...
    And it was not that hard it was basicly putting select wow model parts to a base mesh that i already have, which is possibly easier than it takes to make some custom models using wc3 textures...

Something like this took more time to do because i had to use some parts that required some "creative thinking"
    [​IMG]
    For example chest is made using modifyed motorcycle mesh from wow...
    Or above posted warcraft reborn footman and my new version which i mostly edited the textures, added some new parts and stuff... (In the end it turned out a lot more cartoony xD)
    [​IMG]

Or here's a kul tiras footman i made by basicly retexturing a wow stone statue doodad that was somewhere in kul tiras
    [​IMG]
    But it is all simple geoset merging and modifying some meshes, which is probably plausable with new Reforded models

About reforged footman, yeah it looks a lot more like a captain of a hero footman. If i remember from wc3 unit guide the footman was described allmost like a militia status unit, different from "plate wearing noble footman of old wars". So yeah a more basic armored style and design could benefit the lore and gameplay visibility...
    And definitivly the shoulder pads are tad too big (also i'm a big fan of "offset" style different looking left and right shoulder pad from the original concept art) and the shield could be more basic, like original concept and in the original model