1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The raddest synthwave tracks were chosen - Check out our Music Contest #12 - Results and congratulate the winners!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The poll for Hive's 12th Concept Art Contest is up! Go cast your vote for your favourite genie!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Travel to distant realms and encounter scenes unknown to the common folk. The Greatest of Adventures is upon us with the 8th Cinematic Contest. Join in on a fun ride.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The 18th Icon Contest is ON! Choose any ingame unit and give him/her Hero abilities. Good luck to all.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Contestants are to create a scene set in the Stone Age. Come and see what you can come up with. We wish you the best of luck!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Colour outside the lines! Techtree Contest #13 is a go. The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Greetings cerebrates, our Swarm needs new spawners that will have numerous children. Join the HIVE's 31st Modeling Contest - Spawners and Spawned! The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  10. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Reforged Warcraft III Reforged - Artistic/Textures/UI Feedback

Discussion in 'Patch & Reforged Discussion' started by Sieben, Nov 4, 2018.

1. Sieben

Sieben

Resources:
    Resources:
    Well the results of your work is quite decent actually. First I wasn't sure that this kind of WoW-rip-based model would be accepted in the Hive database, but apparently it will probably be (see this thread and Archian's response).
    It's a relief actually! Even if there will be a long time before we catch up with all the models we currently have, it means there is going to be some custom models faster than I feared. Don't know about buildings though, I suppose they are more difficult to create.

2. YourArthas

YourArthas

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Even buildings can be made actually like HateCrew said we made alot of HD wow based models for both WC3 remake and custom concepts

3. Sieben

Sieben

Resources:
    Resources:
    Yes I know buildings can be made, but I was just assuming it was harder than regular units. It was just a supposition, because I'm quite clueless about modeling :p

4. ENAleksey

ENAleksey

Resources:
    Tools:
    Resources:
  5. Razorburst

Razorburst

Resources:
    Resources:
    My criticism of the game would be that, they are focusing too much on the models and not much on the animations or technical aspects, yes, that's what a remaster is about, that it looks current and more current graphics but comparing it to HD mods that they already exist for the original game, there is not much difference more than the UI, I hope that they forget about the compatibility with the old game and are encouraged more, that they expand the editor of worlds (especially native ones related to the mouse and that the animations of the legs and torso are separated: P) when the units attack blood or sparks depending on their armor (too much retailer?) or things like that, that give a more realistic touch but in technical aspect and not so graphic, shadows are a very good hit, much better than the dark spot on the floor

6. SadisticLeprechaun

SadisticLeprechaun

Resources:
    Resources:
    Oh My Hatecrew that is great stuff. I was worried it might take time to get some cool added models but apparently there will be a database before the game comes out knowing the modders here YES!!!

7. dtnmang

dtnmang

Resources:
    Models:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    The Reforged UI from what I've seen in the videos is very good. We get a bigger view of the battlefield and the portrait UI is definitely very refreshing as well. I want to see more than just their faces :p

8. Jumbo

Jumbo

Resources:
    Resources:
    I'm personally not too concerned by the new graphics. I agree that the Footman should be toned down a bit and made more easily distinguishable. The ghoul also needs some work in my opinion, as right now it doesn't look scary enough.
    The character faces in the cutscenes are pretty bad and show clear signs of WIP which is fine since it was only a test version for Blizzcon. About the realism style: Frankly, I like it as it looks more like the HD Cinematics found in Warcraft 3 and WoW, making it easier to compare the ingame with the cutscenes and immerse yourself in it. At the same time I believe that the plastic look of HOTS and especially Starcraft 2 is something to be avoided very rigidly, cause to me the plastic look of the latter makes it very hard for me to enjoy.
    In sum I trust that Blizzard will end up with good visuals for this Reforged Warcraft 3.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
  9. dtnmang

dtnmang

Resources:
    Models:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Yes, the Undead ghoul in the reveal build looks less of a Ghoul than of a Zombie. The original Ghoul has much more exposed bones and looks more ravenous.

10. EredarArbeiterYU

EredarArbeiterYU

Resources:
    Resources:
    Yeah, the original had that much needed "ever-hungry" look.

11. YourArthas

YourArthas

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Yeah Ghoul is the only model that made me upset from Reforged,I really prefer the 'remaster' I made for it and I don't like it that much I was always hoping Blizzard will do alot better
    [​IMG]

and other ones I fear are Draenei (they can go WoW way insted of 'Lost Ones' we have in Wc3)

12. Jumbo

Jumbo

Resources:
    Resources:
    I agree. There is good reason to be concerned if you like the old Draenei model style.

13. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    What do you guys think of these pauldrons?
    [​IMG]
    Here, they're pretty much OK but it's a different armour?:
    [​IMG]

Normal hammer?
    [​IMG]

14. Sieben

Sieben

Resources:
    Resources:
    The two drawings nailed pretty nicely the original style of Warcraft III, especially the second one :) Exaggerated proportions, but in a reasonable and balanced way. Pauldrons and hammer look awesome, it's very good overall (though the footman/captain's pauldrons are very slightly oversized, but it is very subtle and not very disturbing - just being picky here)
    As for the cinematic screenshot, well it is Warcraft III, obviously; however, I always found very odd that Arthas had hands bigger than his head (the proportion issue is not quite new, it all started there! :p)
    Also, in the screenshot, I can't help but notice that Arthas doesn't have that juvenile teenager face he has in Reforged. Of course he was already corrupted by the Lich King by then, and he had spent a few months in freezing Northrend, but he was just at the beginning of his path as a Death Knight, so his face was probably similar to the one he had before being corrupted.

15. YourArthas

YourArthas

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    To be honest I havent seen any better Arthas than this:
    [​IMG]

I mean they could take it from WoW cinematic team and change textures if they wish to make it's style like the one they came up with

16. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    [​IMG]
    The idea for such shoulder armour to be upward like that is to protect the head when the shoulders are raised. However, in Reforged models, we see that they are blocking vision even when most units are relaxed.
    The problem is that you can't have peripheral vision when fighting with those pauldrons as the arms are always raised during combat.

The proportions of this one are pretty accurate as a dwarf:
    [​IMG]

17. Sieben

Sieben

Resources:
    Resources:
    Yes, I get the idea, though these pauldrons actually only serve aesthetics purposes in Warcraft, because such armour pieces didn't exist in history (IRL) without a reason :) It's just impossible to fight with that kind of pauldron, because of the vision issue as you mentioned but not only: that sort of huge armour piece would greatly reduce the ability to move the arms.
    Actually, in the western Late Middle Ages, there had been a lot experimentation with shoulderplate armours, in order to find the best balance between mobility and protection, and to my knowledge, nothing close to Warcraft armours was ever created. Most knights would use gorget armour (neck protection) along with nearly flat pauldrons instead, or sometimes a shoulderplate armour with an upward part like the hero's left pauldron in the cinematic screenshot, but way smaller (like this, the armour on the right).
    But of course I'm aware Warcraft is not the real world but a non-realistic heroic-fantasy video game, so a bit of exaggeration doesn't hurt, as long as it remains sensible :)

18. Onholyservicebound

Onholyservicebound

Resources:
    Resources:
    For me, the footman concept is a good one, he looks like the footman in the cinematics(The infernal and Thrall's vision both had footmen that looked similar to the Reforged version)
    But he could use work in a few areas.
    1. His armor is too dark, it went from white to dark grey, at the least certain parts of it should be highlighted to be a lot lighter and more noticable.
    2. Pauldrons are a bit too big, at the least they shouldn't be taller than his head.
    3. He is a bit thin and small, he looks small compared to the villagers in the culling
    4: He might look a bit elaborate for an early unit, I think it'd be super cool if Blizzard looked into having texture swaps for Unit upgrades, kind of like how troll headhunter had a model swap/upgrade for berserker, give units like the footman more flat-matte armor that is mostly grey, and add the more elaborate gold and borders/shine/etc with subsequent upgrades.

I think the Grunts are perfect, I don't think they're too big either, Orcs have changed a lot since War2, they're definitely depicted as significantly larger and stronger than almost all humans(Even most leadership position humans). Grunts themselves are about twice the strength and durability of a footman, so they should look the part.

Honestly I disagree with a lot of people here thinking that it needs to be done over or drastically changed. I think most of the proportions look much better than before, and if you listened to people and went with more cartoony proportions it would actually look MORE like heroes of the storm.(Which I don't find it does at all, despite some seeing a resemblance.)
    Look at a HoTs footman, big head, big hands/feet, simple armor. This game's art-style looks nothing like WoW or HoTs imo. (In fact I'd say the SC2 Warcraft 3 remake has more of a WoW look than this.)

Some proportions are bad though, mainly Arthas, he looks terrible. He has the head and neck of an elven woman and the shoulders and body of a tauren.. His little tiny girly head looks ridiculous. He needs a much larger neck and head and a much less feminine face.(Look at how he looked in the ending cinematic for instance.)

Secondly, giant dwarfs? Or Tiny footmen?
    I think the footmen need to be sized about 10% bigger, and the dwarf needs to be shrunk by about the same. The Dwarf is huge, even compared to the knight he looks tall. (To be fair, vanilla Warcraft 3 dwarves were also as tall as footmen, but this is way more noticable.
    In that same vein, units that seemed fine in War3, now look weird with more realism applied.
    1. Knights are tiny compared to footmen in War3, but reforged makes it more noticeable, they should be larger
    2.Same with kodos and other mounted units, the units on their mount are half that size of a normal unit.

Finally: Tiny air units, this was a problem in War3 always, but it looks worse with more realism, the air units are so flimsy and tiny, they need to be more reasonable to match the new realistic proportions.

Other than that, I don't really like the troll headhunter or Tauren, they look too much like WoW characters and less like the units they're meant to be. The original tauren didn't have that sort of uncanny human-like rounded face, he was much more "minotaur" looking. The troll also has that goofy WoW troll lankyness, and is lacking the sharpness of the War3 trolls.

Something is also needed to make the units stick out more in the environment, idk if outlines would do the trick, but I know that'd be seen as too cartoony, but maybe the future lighting upgrades will be enough to make the units not blend in to the BG so much.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
  19. Quilnez

Quilnez

Resources:
    Icons:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    TL;DR;

I've watched the reforged gameplay video and the new unit proportion looks just fine to me, not so much difference from the old one. I imagine adjusting HD models with the old proportion (i.e. shorter belly) will only make them look stretched, out of shape, weird, creepy, etc etc.

20. Gluma

Gluma

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    Im honestly so butthurt about new unit designs that i want to shout at people

someone please tell me im dumb and need to calm down lol