1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Reforged Warcraft III Reforged - Artistic/Textures/UI Feedback

Discussion in 'Patch & Reforged Discussion' started by Sieben, Nov 4, 2018.

1. Wareditor

Wareditor

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Well in Brood War, the units are much bigger than in Starcarft 2 (since the camera is much more zoomed in). I don't see how that contradicts the Samwise quote.
    His quote is pretty clear and explains the issues with Reforged quite well, or at least how it fails compared to Warcraft 3.
    The devs have heard that complaint and I believe we will see a lot of improvements next iteration.

2. Rui

Rui

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Well, if Samwise himself says that, I guess there's no turnaround from the oversized shoulderpads and hammers. To me, they're what's dumb about those models.

3. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    That or the resolution is just small. The thing is, the proportions are OK there in what unit design is concerned. They didn't have to make huge unrealistic armour to identify units. StarCraft II has more bulky stuff than Brood War but not as much as WoW and its spread to Reforged. So, unit overall size=/=parts of them being way bigger than normal, especially when you want to aim for realism.

4. Wareditor

Wareditor

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    It's much more about silhouette than oversized parts. Warcraft 3 used oversized and bulky proportions, but the purpose was to built an interesting and remarkable silhouette for a RTS game.
    In Reforged, the oversized parts are more about fitting the Warcraft visuals. So much that it looks like a parody - the shoulder-pads and the hammers with those small heads are laughable.
    Let's take the paladin, they used the blademaster skeleton for it, which result in a very lean silhouette that make him unremarkable when seen from a RTS view.

comparisonuther.PNG

W3R_side_by_side_comparison.png

5. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    @Wareditor well, I can see the Reforged units being clearly identified there and with time you get to know which is which. That, without the need of huge pauldrons and whatnot, just a whole unit size tweak would do. Plus, the colours they'll use on each unit.

6. Wareditor

Wareditor

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    The point is that the paladin has less presence that a footman. His hammer is almost as big as his body.

7. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    So, how does the paladin have a less presence than the footman? I don't get it. If anything, the paladin is more visible because of the huge hammer which should be changed by the way. The hero will be noticed by the hero glow instead among others.

8. Wareditor

Wareditor

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Here I made it easy for you:

paladin.PNG paladin2.PNG

And I didn't even include the knights that outclass the paladin in presence by a lot in Reforged.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
  9. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    You meant that it's smaller. That does not mean its presence is not noticeable, hence the big hammer...
    Anyways, they'll probably tweak heroes as in the Reforged Culling of Stratholme...
    The picture you're showing is surely a pre-alpha or an early alpha. I don't think they'll leave the paladin like that. Can you see the Riflemen, which are supposed to be dwarves, almost bigger than the Footmen? (sure, in classic Warcraft III too but we're talking about Reforged and namely that picture you keep shoving in my face).
    While we're at it, look at the Grunts, way bigger than the orcs on the wolves as in Warcraft III. In case I'm not clear here, they will not leave a small paladin while weird things like what I wrote about the orcs still stand.
    Realistically proportionate, being tall doesn't mean having a small head. That's disproportionate.
    All in all, they still have work to do.

10. Triceron

Triceron

Resources:
    Resources:
    Honestly, once you play for a week, your brain will adapt to every unit and recognize what is what.

Play some Total War Warhammer. There are so many units and the camera is so far out that its all visual noise to a newcomer. But if you actually play and get into it, you begin to recognize what is what.

Your brain abstracts the white border of the footmans shield in WC3, to the point where you only recognize that shield silhouette. That expectation is being carried over to Reforged. your brain has had YEARS to recognize he shape and look of a footman out of a mish ash if low polygons from a screenshot.

Once you get used to it, the Reforged footmans will be easily seen the same way. Maybe the sharp shoulder angles and dark metallic coloration might be the thing your brain identifies as ''footman". Its a matter of perspective. Remember that we were once used to seeing a very rounded Footman without a shield from Warcraft 2.

There are two things that need to be worked on to identify units more clearly. Team color and Hero Glows. As soon as this is sorted out more clearly, the Paladin issue would go away because now he has a hero glow under his feet or now ghouls can be clearly identified as Purple Team instead of Red Team. Silhouttes dont really matter, because your brain will abstract nee visual connections to any unit. If I imported the Total War models into WC3 and replaced them all, it would take you 10 minutes to get used to which is which no problem.

11. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Yeah, nifty concept they did back then. In Orcs and Humans the Footman had a shield while the Grunt used both hands to wield the axe. I guess those yellow gauntlets stretching on the forearms were a sort of shield.
    [​IMG]

They did it quite right with human armours in the movie though:

12. EredarArbeiterYU

EredarArbeiterYU

Resources:
    Resources:
    Hmmm... Well Re4ged lacks hero glow. :x

13. Whisper

Whisper

Resources:
    Resources:
    Wc3 is cleaner.

Imho Blizzard should take a look at Dota 2, this game has really good graphics/proportions and UI.

14. Itztalmatan

Itztalmatan

Resources:
    Resources:
    In the pictures of loading screens and such were no graphical limitation, right? so they would represent the real apearence of the units, i mean the way the original artist meat them to be. Now with the power of new computers that figures are easily archivable so... why they dont look like them? Its loosing the escence of the game, a medieval enviromet, coarse and simple. I would like to see more in other fields just like the animation modifiers i found in the new triggers are awesome as the legendary size map is.

15. Duke

Duke

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    If they could improve cliff design, it would be great. For example Armies of exigo had good looking cliffs

Couldn't find many good pictures tho

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    is a different game. Sure, they could improve the design.
    I'd love it if they'd also implement two level type maps (overground and underground) [like first seen in Heroes of Might and Magic III].

17. Duke

Duke

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    you don't say -.-'

it is just an example of how generic cliff can look better

18. kantarion

kantarion

Resources:
    Resources:
    Inside warcraft 3 mpq there are MDX files for cliffs . It can be seen how they are sculpted,and those sculpts arent tiled very well . So they need to resculpt cliffs in order to look more smooth

Anyway Pete said in 1 interview that they will go new tileset and cliff system for reforged , cause the old wc3 system of tiles and cliffs will never let the game look good as modern games.

It means all of the work of modders who created custom cliffs and tiles wil not work. But guess what ?

It will be way more better and easier both blizz and modders ! I hope it will look at least complex like you have shown in screens,and i believe its gonna be super great !

19. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Iconic drawing!

[​IMG]

20. alex05

alex05

Resources:
    Resources:
    Call me a heretic, but TBH, I love almost all of the art so far in WC3 Reforged. It's the UI that I'm not too sure about. Needs to have a classic variant, as well.

In the case of the art, my only real ick is maybe the Ghoul (hard to recognize as a Ghoul...Perhaps give us one that looks more like the original, with the current one being an alternate, sort of like the Dark Templar has 2 variants in SC2?), Footman's shield (rest of the Footman looks great, though) and the Scout Tower (It's too small). Maybe the walls on the Human Town Hall could also be straight and angled, instead of round. But that's really a minor thing.