1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Reforged Warcraft III Reforged - Artistic/Textures/UI Feedback

Discussion in 'Patch & Reforged Discussion' started by Sieben, Nov 4, 2018.

1. Juveqis

Juveqis

Resources:
    Resources:
    I've watching the 40 minute video gameplay of WC3:R again and there's something I don't like at all... It's about the attack animation of the Troll Headhunter.

I don't know how to explain it well in English but... Don't you find strange that when he attacks, he steps forward and "gets inside" the unit in front of him?

TH1.gif

I know it's a more natural movement to throw the javelin but it feels weird and it's not the only animation I've seen of this style.

TH2.gif

For example in the Warcraft III the feet of the Troll remain static in the ground.

TH3.gif

For example in the Heroes of the Storm the feet of the Troll also remain static on the ground (although the animation seems cheaper but still ...)

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
  2. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    It's kind of the same thing really.

3. kantarion

kantarion

Resources:
    Resources:
    Nothng wrong with you(maybe headhunter is not best example,but i understand what you wanna say totally), if they go completly different or nonsense animations it will not be wc3 anymore at all . It will be MOBA game , or wow alike anim on RTS game, so unnatural. Wc3 Reforged by Blizz may then give you a feeling its not only wc3 anymore, but its some FAN MODd based with mass wow or moba anims and style , which would be a shame for the firm

They can not do mesh transplant , cause it doesnt work on high polly models - it breaks and destroy their parts totally.

Modders perfectly understand that mesh trasplant isnt possible for a blizzard standard ,even though they sucesfully did it on many models, but on some its not possible.

What makes this game kinda to remember it and to leave a scar in your brain forever is : Combination of Portrait (And its following awesome sounds) and anims.

With a specific bakcground story and environment in custom maps , those principles make wc3 popular.

SO : only possible solution is they hire animators to carefully watch wc3 model anims and animate models from begining totaly to be wc3 alike-friendly.
    Ofc they can go a bit different , but some are unique . But in the sea of animations (which i highly doubt they will devote such a time to keep very specific one and do other in their way,its hard) - so most easiest way is to do similar like everything it is.

P.S It will never happen cause they hire a studio that doesnt have a bright history of games, and cause blizz decided its the most cheap way . And once for all i dont hate that studio , and i am not a racist = i can proove it by shooting a selfie on my skin color...I just wish both blizz lemonade a good luck in future work!

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
  4. Korialstrasz

Korialstrasz

Resources:
    Resources:
    In my opinion the direction of the new art style is great. Yeah it's different but I'm fine with it and I will be even more fine with it when I get into it.
    Other than that, I totally agree with most what Tauer said in his posts. If we want to make good changes we need to be as constructive as possible with our critics as we can be.
    While it is important that a company should listen to their community to make them happy it should be equally important that the community gives reasonable and constructive feedback in order to earn the right to be listened.
    Here comes my view on some of the points I have with the work in progress that was presented.

Footman - In my opinion he is slightly too big and looks too heroic. When I played the campaign, Footmen were more like villagers/peasents that help armies in war times. That is exactly what happens twice in the first campaign aswell where Arthas recruits villagers twice. Also they felt more rough and not so seriously in their job. I would prefer them to be less heroic as they are more troops to send into death and who would sacrifice such an epic armor as a king. Does not feel right for me. TL;DR I would prefer them slightly smaller and a less heroic armor.

Rifleman - A bit too big but other then that an amazing model. Well done!

Ghouls - I do actually like them, but they need more team colors they are hard to spot in some parts of the trailer.

Knights - I have a weird feeling about them, the riders feel so small compared to Footman and other human units. Proportion feels a bit weird but other than that I like the new model. Could also use a bit more team color. But those things could just be me.

Dreadlord - Awesome!

Abomination - Great one, nothing to do here in my opinion.

Tauren - Weapon is like 25% too big, otherwise good.

Raider - Good model.

Grunt - Really good, but I do not like the walking animations. They look to hastened and he is moving his arms too much. Don't think a brute like that would walk with such moving arms. Would prefer a stronger walk.

Paladin - Dunno, I didn't like the original one either so this is atleast a small upgrade. He is slightly too small in my opinion.

Batrider and Wyvern Rider - Both are good in my opinion, not much to add.

Orc Buildings - Awesome, especially the towers were really really good for me. I love them, good work!

Human Buildings - Good, but not as good as the orc buildings. Not really sure why though.

Ground Textures & Doodads - Really good for me. Many people say that they look worse than in the original game but I can't agree on that at all. They are much better than the old ones. But surely there is still room for improvements.

Hero Glows - I think this is what more people should consider when saying that heroes don't look noticeable anymore compared to normal units. The glow made a lot of the magic in that I guess. I would want it back. This would be one of the things I think could create the "classic" feeling a bit more for many players.

Saturation - I would also like a bit more saturation as mentioned and shown on pictures in this thread. I think this would add the "classic" feeling very quickly as well and would make it a better feeling.

Interface - This might be one of the most important parts and I actually like it. They managed to keep the old feeling while giving you much more vision. I want this right now.

5. EredarArbeiterYU

EredarArbeiterYU

Resources:
    Resources:
    Guess we all agree on the footman issue.
    Honestly who would put in the insane amount of effort and work into mass-producing such awesome armor for basic infantry fodder. :D
    They need something more humble. :}

6. Riflemen have always been bigger than footmen. I guess it just looks even more weird with these new graphics. They should and probably will stay that way because of the hitboxes.

Footmen are really over engineered. Too much detail. They look muddy and plain bad from the distance imo.
    But I think that Uther's model embodies what's wrong with these new inconsistent graphics, I just can't put my finger on what it is specifically.

7. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    If I recall correctly, they said they will have to redraw the hit boxes.

8. I think they said it in the context of adapting the new models to the old hitboxes but not sure.

9. Whisper

Whisper

Resources:
    Resources:
    What do you think, when can we expect some development update about reforged? December?

10. Well, it does look weird when headhunter is attacking melee units. He kinda dives through them.

11. kantarion

kantarion

Resources:
    Resources:
    This is not a worse example,its not same as original, a bit annoying i must say , but still standable

The worst example is regular attacking with 2 hands with axe with hands almost to the ground, with feet in front moving each attack. Its wow alike anim for RPG third view camera game, very annoying, and those kind of animation shouldnt be regular attack, maybe as a spell .

I hope they will not do those stuff cause it doesnt exist anywhere in wc3

12. And the way that headhunter holds the spear is pretty strange and impractical. Why hold it over his head while walking/standing?

13. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    To be ready to shoot it at any time:D?

14. You'd really see how weird it is in the cutscene angles. Besides, it would just tire him out for no reason if we're looking at it that way.

The vanilla headhunter has it slightly above shoulder while walking, and it's rested on it while he's idle.

15. kantarion

kantarion

Resources:
    Resources:
    Reforge will be an amazing MOD made by asian brothers, and nearly a new game cause it has nothing to do with a remastering of wc3.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    I will accept everythign they poo,and in secrecy i will cry alot.

Cause there is 1 trilion thing people are right . They could at list give us official survey, or give us a hint that survey guys are secret blizz agent.

Instead of causing warcraft 4 among us, on obvious thing that everybody see, they could offer some solution. Do you think they read anymore,did you see how Reforge forums look a like ? Feminism in wc3, Bible, remove undeads from Reforge - its cause ppl are just mad and 90% of them dont know explain WHY in argues between us. Then comes a fake ego, arguing 10 post about 1 specific thing flooding threads etc xD.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    So get used to those shity anims copy-pasted from wow....They will pay new actors from WOW even survey says we dont want it, and they didnt tell us they will go wc3 alike anims from stratch to blend it with high polly models. Cause those things cost man.

Blizzards wants best for you and they love you, more than you imagine. If you accept them as your personal saviour without questioning them, you wil enter a kingdom of heaven.

So if you waited 15 years and think its can be done better in 2019 year for a game that its basis ALREADY EXIST so they dont ahve to invent everything, no m8 YOU DONT HAVE A RIGHT TO ASK THINGS.

IF YOU DONT LIKE REFORGE (my favourite sentence): You can always play classic warcraft 3 :)

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  16. Astrella

Astrella

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I'm a bit disappointed with the new look, I was honestly hoping for something a bit more along the styles of the Alterac Valley style in Heroes of the Storm. Hoping all the other features get patches through to original WC3.

17. kantarion

kantarion

Resources:
    Resources:
    Please again can you be more specific,you want maps/terrain to be more complex with more doodads and assets to look like Valley or you want units for Reforged like cartoon grunt from that map ?

Cause generalasing those things might cause a war. The one who hate cartoon will attack you. The one who like cartoon will support you. Some people who think you said it like overal general look of Alterac will maybe support you , and there are people who generally hate HOTS.

There are people who will understand your things from your post from their perspective only.

There are people who dont even understand what you wanted to say cause of lack of intelect .

But still i think yous hould provide more info

Which things you want it to be Alterac alike for Reforged ?

18. Astrella

Astrella

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    The graphics style to be similar. Alterac Valley already had assets for common units like Footmen, Riflemen, Grunts, Headhunters, Raiders, etc... I was expecting / hoping for similar ones for Reforged.

19. kantarion

kantarion

Resources:
    Resources:
    What ending result you want it to look in Reforge ? Pick a model

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  20. Whisper

Whisper

Resources:
    Resources:
    I played Wc3 yesterday and blademaster looked different :D.

IMO you should do comparision with ingame models not portraits.