1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Reforged Warcraft III Reforged - Artistic/Textures/UI Feedback

Discussion in 'Patch & Reforged Discussion' started by Sieben, Nov 4, 2018.

1. xISLx

xISLx

Resources:
    Resources:
    You're dumb and need to calm down

But I too, hope that they will make some changes to the current design :D
    The devs might have already taken our feedback into consideration, and are making new changes and various adjustments right now

2. Gluma

Gluma

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    Maybe we could collectively write a single big general piece of critique on game's general art direction? General feedback is quite contradictory, there even are people on reforged's forum who ask devs to not change anything about the new design an̶d̶ ̶I̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶n̶o̶ ̶i̶d̶e̶a̶ ̶h̶o̶w̶ ̶t̶h̶o̶s̶e̶ ̶p̶e̶o̶p̶l̶e̶ ̶f̶u̶n̶c̶t̶i̶o̶n̶

3. Sieben

Sieben

Resources:
    Resources:
    @Gluma , @Archian is already planning to send a document with compiled feedback from us to Blizzard, he mentioned it somewhere. :) I don't know if he's already started to do it or if it's still a work in progress.

If you take a look at the pictures Deepstrasz provided, you'll see it's possible to keep the original Warcraft III style without giving units a weird look. :) Cartoony proportions, but not too much!

I agree that orcs should definitely be larger and stronger than humans. In Warcraft III, this is why grunts cost more food and gold than human footmen! ;)
    On the other hand, it doesn't mean that orcs must have weird bulky proportions, like in the movie, in the MoP trailer or in Reforged. It's just an artistic choice Blizzard made a while ago for some reason, but it differs from what the design of Warcraft used to be. In the original Warcraft III, orcs are larger than humans, but their proportions are more harmonious and balanced most of the time.
    I would just feel disappointed if the game changed too much while it could have kept the original spirit and having better graphics. Once again, it's a matter of taste!

I wouldn't say that graphics and style have to be redone entirely! From what I've seen so far, there is a lot of good stuff, even though it's still a work in progress - which mean it will be improved even more. I just think that many things need to be tweaked, but I'm sure the final result will be great. I just hope very hard that the game will not look to different, because I would like to use the new fancy graphics and not keep the old ones! :)
    Also, about WoW and HotS: the similarities between WoW/HotS and Reforged are not about proportions, but the general style. I would say it applies mostly on buildings and environment, and some other details such as the size of some weapons and armours.
    WoW, HotS and current Reforged styles are not bad per say; they just don't look like Warcraft III, that's all I'm saying. :p

4. Tauer

Tauer

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Not everybody shares your view. I think the new art direction is fantastic. There is room for some improvement in some areas like proportions and such. But if you think that they're gonna drastically change the entire art direction because a few people here are too nostalgic too let go of the old one, I think you're gonna be sorely disappointed. No way they throw out that much progress. Which is why, and I think I've repeated this a million times already, we will have the option to switch to the old art style. So even if the art style doesn't end up changing that much people still have the opportunity to play with the old art style that they love so much. Not that I dislike the old art style, I adore it, but just because something is new doesn't mean that it's worse. It's supposed to look different. If it looked the same what would even be the reason to make the game to begin with?

5. YourArthas

YourArthas

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Just wanted to ask something has anybody got any info about if they will change .mdx model file format to something else or to keep old assets will they keep it 'supported' atleas?

6. Gluma

Gluma

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    Don't worry man, I was dissapointed right from the start

7. Tauer

Tauer

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    To each his own I guess. I just don't understand all the complaints about the art style "changing" when you can literally switch to the old one with the click of a button.

8. Wareditor

Wareditor

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Saying you can go back to old models is a non argument - nobody is talking about the old models here. If people are "complaining", it's about the new models. There are many angles you can critique the models today (as we are seeing alpha footage). Even if you are only talking about the complaints concerning the art style, you can easily understand how people wanted to see more faithful HD models, can't you?

The visuals has been the #1 topic of discussion since the announcement. Feedback on them has been mixed to say the least.
    Many interesting points have been raised and I hope the team will take them into account and make a very visually pleasing game that stays true to the values that made the original good enough to be remastered and played after 16 years.

9. Gluma

Gluma

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    I mean we are allowed to not like the new style and and try and explain why, right? I mean some might be annoying about it like I am, but that's ok to not like things

Yeah true, I'll probably play with old graphics anyway. I hope the original gets some new visual stuff too, like the skins. Wouldnt iit be cool if we could see peoples skin even in the old game, all in the good old style? This would add for custom map consistency too

10. lan nguyen

lan nguyen

Resources:
    Resources:
    Will reforged support directx shader?

Blizz said it can be turn back to the old version anyway

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2018
  11. Tauer

Tauer

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Of course. Criticism should always be encouraged (and Blizzard has actually done so), but the criticism should at the very least be constructive. Saying "I dislike the art style" is useless criticism. Blizzard can't use this. Saying stuff like "maybe the proportions should be like so and so" or "this unit's silhouette should be a bit more recognizable" on the other hand is constructive, as it's something Blizzard can actually implement. Saying it should be more "faithful", while I can appreciate the sentiment, is probably not that useful either, because doing so would require a total rehaul of everything that they've made so far. That's not just textures and models, it's their entire shader library (faithful would mean no more PBR) out the window. Basically wasting all the man hours put into it so far. It's not happening. That's really my gripe here. Complaining about the art style doesn't really help anyone. Critiquing the models does.

Then there are of course people who are totally toxic and are accusing Blizzard of destroying the old game, or being too "revisionistic", to which I say: you can still use the old art style! So that sentiment isn't so much in regards to the valid criticism that we're hearing, but more in regards to the absolute hate that some people have been spouting.

12. Triceron

Triceron

Resources:
    Resources:
  13. YourArthas

YourArthas

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Yeah I realized this screen was posted 1 week before blizzcon, to be honest I'm abit unhappy that Blizzard gave designing job to them but sadly when you make an agreement it lasts long and you can't change the company without paying a penalty fee (considering this studio remade sc1 means they already made agreement for atleast 5 years)

14. Triceron

Triceron

Resources:
    Resources:
    Blizzard is happy with the work, and tbh I don't blame them considering the quality of models they're getting at the speed and quantity needed to get WC3R out by next year. The cost it would be if they made this internally would easily double the cost and time taken.

I can see this style being a compromise of what the Artists are used to (PBR-centric pipeline) and the lore is taking a dump simply because they are using whatever most relevant concept there is to base the units off of.

Honestly I don't mind because whatever they're doing gets us all closer to what we want to see. If something needs tweaking, that's where we can step in. If I want a bigger shield or different decals on footmen, I'll just go in and model edit or completely replace it and just use their animations; that's exactly what I did for their WoW and WC3 models. Whatever they provide will be useful tools for us.

I'm already planning on revamping my WC2 Death Knight design and their new Archmage skeleton would be perfect to support a higher res model.

15. Augustus

Augustus

Resources:
    Resources:
    Hmm, I think remasters have lower budgets so that is probably why they are oursourcing. Their A team is probably very expensive. I think they are also not expecting to make a boatload of money out of it too. Remasters usually have less interest and the cinematic only has 1 million views so far. Might explain why they are also only remaking the opening cinematic. Still, Blizzard are swimming in cash and the fact that they are not going full steam ahead on this is dissapointing but I kinda get it why.

I am still disappointed, seeing that remade cinematic was like seeing the original for the first time again. I was hoping I could have the same experience for all of them. I hope they are remaking the Illidan vs Arthas cinematic at least...

Still, that cinematic was the oldest of the bunch and it shows. Compare it to the Human campaign finale and you will see quite a big difference in quality.

16. NearbyHermit

NearbyHermit

Resources:
    Resources:
    I saw this discussion on reddit and I don't understand people's disappointment with the news. I find that these guys are doing an amazing job.

So far, everything about Reforged makes me feel like I'm taking a trip down memory lane!

17. Wareditor

Wareditor

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Interesting quote from Samwise Didier.

18. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Yeah, but it seems to work fine for Brood War and StarCraft II and other non-Blizzard games. So, I fail to see why it won't work for Warcraft: Reforged.

19. Wareditor

Wareditor

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    @deepstrasz
    Because it's two different types of RTS. In Starcraft you control anonymous masses where a single unit taken by itself has little importance, in Warcraft 3 you control units and hero units - each of them having its own individual importance.

sc.jpg

20. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    No. Brood War's camera can't get that many units in and even if StarCraft is more macro based, many units actually have their role so, I don't buy it.