• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Warcraft III Reforged - Artistic/Textures/UI Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.
Edit:
Besides, I don't really see how you can ask for a specific look of just about any Warcraft 3 character and claim it to be the authentic, when Blizzard has been inconsistent with all the characters so far.. In every different Blizzard game they look different, different artists have different styles and ideas, nothing wrong with that really.

So... Reforged is a new game now and not a WCIII remaster and the artists must make characters and concepts from scratch

Level 22
So... Reforged is a new game now and not a WCIII remaster and the artists must make characters and concepts from scratch

It is not a new game made from scratch, but the models indeed are made from scratch by different artists than those who made the originals. I don't think improvements in both quality and design are gonna ruin the Warcraft 3 feel, those nitpicks in details aren't significant, it's more about the overall appeal.

Sure though, I would prefer seeing a remaster done like with Starcraft myself, where everything feels and looks exactly the same but is just HD.. However, they haven't went in that direction but are instead making things in a different style and it still looks great and I hope the end product will please both the old and new fans. There are things that need adjusting of course but I don't think Jaina's outfit is one of them, I don't think whether she wears white pants or brown will make a difference.

Last edited:
"Yes i dont wanna do anything anymore" - then don't, I don't care why. Or do, I don't care, just please don't post fifteen lines of caps-lock whining about it.

"And btw it is tailored for" - no, Reforged is being made to appeal to the broadest possible audience while minimizing production costs, in order to maximize profits.
Which means Blizzard's goals for Reforged are different to your expectations for it, which is what I was hinting at when I said the world is not tailored to your desires.

"Reforged is official blizzard mod for wc3" - this does not mean anything. TFT is also an official mod. Any modification to the original WC3 is a mod. "Official mod" is just an angry, entitled way of saying you don't like it.

- I can post 100 lines of caps lock, and you are nonone to stop me , this isnt your private game made by you to stop me.
-About marketing ye i am aware of it . But still i will express my feelings
-And yes it is a mod officialy made by blizzard , cause they skip following original wc3 concept .
-In tft you can find same models just reskined . They didnt drastically change anything and didnt go wow-hots copy paste armor.
- Going this way make Reforged a mod , not a remaster .
- You obviously dont read what i am writing. I even give a reasonable solution for this, they can follow concept for default models and for skins they can go everything "attractive" that can fill their pockets with wow-hots copy paste parts.
-And yes they are in power to skip all of this , and nonone can stop them . But if that will going to happen - I can say they betray wc3 .
-when you say someone hey what you write its nothing ,its just weak-fake argument to justify your own opinion for which you either dont supply enough intellect or having problem to pass thoughts in form of post?
-Which makes your statement = nothing, by its self
-A worse way to talk with people is like that, Mr.Nothing
-Oh,i forgot something which is in essence of your manner : If you dont like Reforged = You can always play classic wc3.

I should have been more direct, but my point was that this is a public forum where posts like that are generally frowned upon.
My suggestion is maybe don't post things that don't contribute to anything for anyone and only really serve to unload your emotional tension.
<3

I am not that toxic , altough sometimes perceptualy i can leave that impression, we didnt met yet . I understand that part , and why you reacted that way.

Also on Reforged forums theres a real mess in conversation and true toxic ppl , ther is a wide specturm from ppl who hate blizz and their own lifes,
to another kind which is the worst =defending every bad deciion from blizz,yelling on people about tehnical stuff from patch = and theres no place for that. Those people probably hate their self in morning, and for the rest of the day they hate everyone else,finding shelter from its own toxicity in "blizzard" as their personal savour from lack of self confidence.

About art its a theme that can be discussed , cause oftenly can be a subject of very personal and subjective taste .

But now i will show you something that went wrong . HD Model made by community and Reforged are basically same in its bases . I used yellow parts to demonstrate a problem of reforged one . Its about proportion of armor and parts , which didnt end up stylezed very well

jruiaJo.jpg

Do i like model communtiy : yes . Its wow-hots parts.
I am aware Reforged went same. But proportions and some shapes went wrong for Reforged. I personally think this model of Reforged may go as SKIN, i would buy it if they did it better.

Now,going marshmellow armor and some parts proportions and small head isnt really a good way.

It is better to go stronger BASE proportions, and smaller armor = this way can give better solution for problem,and Uther may give a stronger feeling.

Lets see a villager man, and his base proportions now.

Villager man look like Arnold Swarceneger compare to paladin base "naked body".

xkKvXcn.png

I am just using a logic. Trust me Uther is not a worse model to examine. I dont hate blizzard , i wish they grant use an amazing final result.
But i must point out some things.
Caught me on this : Theres a high possibility someone will come here and say i am imagine all of this,just like that without opposing me using arguments,or providing constructive feedback to blizzard(its ok guys ignore me, but at least provide some feedback to blizzard and dont go fight first guy you see -i am just a fan),even i rly tried to explain whats going on with this Uther

Cheers

Level 22
The difference there is because they decided to go for a more realistic style, they pointed it out in the interviews. The new style has more realistic proportions than the cartoony style of the original graphics.

I don't see much of a point in examining each and every model and pointing out the details that make difference between the original cartoony and the new realistic style individually. That can be critiqued generally, you can give them your impression with the overall change of the style instead.. And you can do that in a single post rather than writing a ton of posts that have just about same points.

I'm personally not too fond of the realistic style they went with either, I think it's a very risky move since it can squander the feel game originally had.. I already pointed out before that the biggest and most noticeable problem with it can be seen with the Peasant model, originally the design emphasized on the goofyness of this character which was designed as a cartoony character and had suitable voice acting and lines, I don't see how they can pull off the change into realistic style without squandering the appeal of the original in this case.. And if they decide to keep the voice lines and voice acting to me personally it will turn out in a bit of a mess, a clash of ideas for the character design.. The voice acting is totally missmatching with the character in the alpha previews we've seen.
I've seen the peasant and peon characters used to make funny cutscenes, or their goofy character design used to even make funny parody videos like of Sheepova (ie. Chibicraft Episode1: Burrow Rush).. I don't see how things like this will be done nor if they'll be nearly as entertaining or enjoyable to watch with the new boring and realistic character designs.

Last edited:
Level 22
Pretty sloppy to only go half-way. I prefer weird proportions and normal armours.

I disagree that it's sloppy to go half way since I would NOT want them to go full way realistic! haha xD

But yeah I prefer the original cartoony style since it's the authentic "Warcraft" style to me (from Wc2, Wc3 to WoW and others; I can clearly identify).. We'll see what they do with Reforged though, the graphics they put together are still quite amazing and there's option to play with original graphics no matter how disappointing it is for some who's expectations the mod might fail to meet - graphics aren't so important but the game is, so I wouldn't mind playing on original graphics if I don't like the new. I'm just glad Warcraft is getting the remaster and I put my few cents, having read some posts there's a lot who think alike me so I'm hopeful.

They never said they're making the game realistic, they're just making it more realistic than it originally was.

Sir i understand you dont care that much, and telling me i shouldnt post too mucha about it.

But i do care,i do care cause i was part of HD mods. And ppl who struggle and put all passion in those mods and loving this game care even more.

And tbh 100% honest = i am personally and selfishly interested in environmet,specually tiles.

Models are not my special love.

But when i see some things like Uther = which is kinda almost same parts as HD mod community Uther i must say Reforged proportions are wrong.

Going marshmellow armor and balerine dress IS NOT REALISTIC AT ALL. Villager man stronger than Paladin, where is realism there ?

I know to be very ironic and rude you cant beat me in fight.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok here we go. Question : Why Paladin warrior looks thiner and weaker than villager man ?

Lets go "Scias realism propaganda" : Kantarion it is because Reforged is realistic game. Because villager man work in fields, work hard to collect taxes and over time they get natural muscules. They are hard workers and at night they must do a marriage obligation with their villagers wife (another extra physical work) .
Over the time of war crysis they must take a weapon and train their selfs when their village stay unprotected = extra gyms bro.
Their muscules grows over the time and they begin to look like Arnold.

And Paladins ? They are special soldiers, ones who talk much and command and going around showing their hieararchy.
They travel a lot directly under king command and many times they dont get enough food . They feel exosted after all those fights.
In war times their only salvation is a good fellow villager man to offer them food from farms, but those are happy times in their life.
They supposed to be a "kings castle elite warriors" but no. King always send them somewhere far far away,so they old fast and look exosted. Their body is geting thiner and thiner,their muscles dissapear over the time, and because of this their arogancy replace this body wieght loss.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So yes, you are right. Nothing is wrong. You personally can play wc3 classic, but you can come here and tell someone he shouldnt post anymore and show problems about specific models.

If you dont like Reforged : You can always play classic wc3, and theres no need to discuss it :)

Oh no wait,more realism : Did you know Reforged footman head can not be took down (ony by meteor ingernal in cinematics maybe if hits directly in his head xD)

He has shoulder pads over the head and nice helm .

Ok, maybe blade master if he do his samurai straight attack can hurt him :)

You won with realism bro. Congratulations

Last edited:
Level 22
Sir i understand you dont care that much, and telling me i shouldnt post too mucha about it.

I do care otherwise I wouldn't have been posting here in first place.. and I agree with what you're saying for most part.. But man do you make it hard to agree with you.

Your posts are poorly written, disrespectful, lacking in quality and structure. You're repeating same points, mocking work blizzard has done so far, mocking people and arguing, "yelling" with caps.. You don't seem to have even read my posts or you completely missed their point but here you are trying to mock me. This being said, I'm out of this conversation, I'm done discussing anything with you - and you should consider if you're leaving this kind of impression on me who actually cared enough to come discuss with you what kind of impression you'd leave on a official Blizzard developer who might be reading this.

Last edited:
I do care otherwise I wouldn't have been posting here in first place.. and I agree with what you're saying for most part.. But man do you make it hard to agree with you.

Your posts are poorly written, disrespectful, lacking in quality and structure. You're repeating same points, mocking work blizzard has done so far, mocking people and arguing, "yelling" with caps.. You don't seem to have even read my posts or you completely missed their point but here you are trying to mock me. This being said, I'm out of this conversation, I'm done discussing anything with you - and you should consider if you're leaving this kind of impression on me who actually cared enough to come discuss with you what kind of impression you'd leave on a official Blizzard developer who might be reading this.

Relax its just my tactic, i must provide an arogant attitude sometimes which can perceptually give a vision of me as a very toxic person.
And i have to see is other member who oppose me in posts - is toxic or honest person.
I assure you i am not in my nature essence,but you dont have to trust me....
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
About human peasant . I must say human peasant is not only widely seen in ladder and campaign ofc, but also massively used in custom games,his voice acting,portrait is amazing. He is a good example of the soul that wc3 has...
I am afraid Reforged will not have this soul of old wc3 has,as far as i saw in demo.
It is a specific combination of :

1.Face
2.Portrait and its animations and camera positioning
3.Voice acting (sounds we have in old wc3...which are amzing)
4. Specually when you see those things together in some custom games with bakcground story and its gameplay, those models give you a feeling they have personality,that they are alive persons...

Some people call this "cartoon". Some sketchy smell. I just call it "soul". But we all agree that thing exists ? (i hope...)

I made a post in Reforged forums about it and i was shocked,is this same model?
I recieved an answer from wc3 fan that is a modeler, and he said it is same model but with different lighting process.
I believe him, and he said its hard Reforged will do such a processing cause theres no need every model being processed as super model.
This makes me sad...Look at the picture and pease tell me,did i picked right guy for final apperance or i mistaken...

lEyV7OO.png

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For human peasant theres a chance they be on right way if only they make him wc3 portrait same anims and camera,keep voice etc...

Me personally think undead should be scary and abomination generally look fine to me, i liked it...

But how they will do this "soul" for Abomination face ?

How they can preserve a scary undeads (realistic textures) but give that "cartoony" smell wc3 had

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am not being ironic now, i rly cant find good example...
For example clows are cartoony and kids like them in cartoons...But when they are too realistic they may end up scary xD

cLilQq2.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How we will give abomination a funny look so he keeps his "wc3" soul ?

Like this (even tho his nose is bad on model) ?

nDrMBrz.jpg

NO WAY. I will have to pick up generic abomination from Reforged, cause to me this look ridicilous...

Generic confronts with my attitudes, but i just need go that way cause i cant pick up
"scary funny clowns"

Now i will show you HD community model, a wow model with wc3 animations and what magic wc3 anims does.

Remove X_

X_Imgur

Cheers = if everyone is reading my novels at all :(
MtW88OY.gifv

Last edited:
Level 2
I visited website of Lemon Sky studios, the ones making models and doing animations for Reforged. I wanted to see their former projects, and when I saw that they worked on all 3 of Dark Souls, I was impressed. Dark Souls had the best looking western medieval design along with Witcher 3 in my opinion, even if it wasn't something that original warcraft concepts are in line with.

I wasn't really in love with original models of wc3, but I loved character design in cinematics, I hated, and I still do hate most of character designs of WoW, HotS looked good to me, but Reforged looks the best. Now, is Reforged perfect? Well, no, it needs a lot of details added, tweaks and changes, but I believe that most of those things can be done with models as they are now. Arthas needs a smaller neck and shoulder pads, footman also needs smaller shoulder pads and maybe more team color on them, Uther needs to have a little wider chest area etc. You can always go into more details for faces of Heroes for example... The only models that I absolutely don't like are Spell Breaker and Jaina from Reforged.

I also believe that texture are hand painted to an extent, but as they are going for a more realistic style, with all those shaders or effects(sorry but I'm not really familiar with right terms), it may appear as if they are not hand painted. I also think that for Reforged they are going for something between realism and cartoony style, more realistic than Hots or WoW, but less realistic than Warhammer. Anyway, if they went for cartoony style it would look like some mix of WoW and Hearthstone, which to me looks like a terrible western Pixar/Disney design, which original WC3 never looked like.

Level 7
I think I have become accustomed to the new art style and I think they are taking the right path... I add a small comparison that I have made from the gameplay of 40 minutes.

For example, some doodads like the Statue have lost its characteristic "metallic touch" and the Fountain has lost its water jet...

Anyway, it looks pretty good (look at the corpse on the meatwagon... awesome).
What do you think?

full

full

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
I think I have become accustomed to the new art style and I think they are taking the right path... I add a small comparison that I have made from the gameplay of 40 minutes.
One thing is to get accustomed to it, one thing is to like it and one thing is for it to be adequate.

The images cannot be seen. Did you upload them in Media? If yes, make them public.

Level 7
One thing is to get accustomed to it, one thing is to like it and one thing is for it to be adequate.

The images cannot be seen. Did you upload them in Media? If yes, make them public.

You're right, obviously there are things that I can not get used to and I think they should improve, such as the design of the Arthas or Footman shoulder pads, the design of Jaina, that all the armors shine so much...

But with the doodads and the decoration I think they are doing a good job...

I hope that in February we have some new news of the development of the game

PD: I think I've already fixed the images.

Level 2
Nice to see you after a decade,magaracmaldi xD

Well, i am afriad like Triceron said , blizz doesnt read community feedback about art.

But anyway we must express our feelings, right ?

I believe texture we saw isnt handpainted..I saw bricks on chapel behind Dreadlord and Rusty armor on Arthas.

Anyway i am happy not seeing rusty thing from air perpective, so not big deal + it seems this upgraded engine dont make problems for it.

If its on original wc3 engine,that would be a huge problem.

But i got problem with bricks that looked like google search image downsized alot,getting blurry loosing its quality,not being processed at all.

But that was demo, saw 3 styles.

City tiles were way too cartoonish, but round-tiles was amazing...one that look like circle and can be found in city-scape and dalaran. Just amazing,and i hope everything goes well

Landscape tiles outside city had more realistic texture but flat...

Me personally wish textures not cartoony as hots, but more realistic than wow texture xD....With rly nice details on faces i mean 3d sculpts xD

But this is not case, i believe texture will be exactly like you showed in a Dark Soul game, but way more cheaper done...

Since you've worked on tiles and are interested in scenery, I wonder if you've come to the same conclusion while looking demo gameplay.

City cliffs are replaced by wall now I think, and I like that. I'm just hoping we get better cliffs with more variety, especially for different cities.

Also, doodads seem fine mostly, but I'm waiting to see how they'll handle other parts of the world like Barrens, Ashenvale, Outland...

I think that Stillwell mentioned there will be a completely new tiles system, so tiles we saw in demo are not what we'll get in the end.

About units...
I'm mostly fine with art, especially when it comes to Orcs, as for Humans, well, I would prefer normal shoulder pads :) Also, have to point again that I hate Spellbreaker, but I can live with it.
I actually love how Undead look, it certainly isn't what I expected them to be like, but I like 'realistic' feel that Abomination has, even if it's not really in the spirit of original or updated WoW model( that follows the original in my opinion).

I hope I'll like models for other key heroes. I'm excited to see Rexxar, Grom, Kael and Maiev.

That's my take on what I've seen so far. More thoughts after some new WIP photos or beta footage.

Since you've worked on tiles and are interested in scenery, I wonder if you've come to the same conclusion while looking demo gameplay.

City cliffs are replaced by wall now I think, and I like that. I'm just hoping we get better cliffs with more variety, especially for different cities.

Also, doodads seem fine mostly, but I'm waiting to see how they'll handle other parts of the world like Barrens, Ashenvale, Outland...

I think that Stillwell mentioned there will be a completely new tiles system, so tiles we saw in demo are not what we'll get in the end.

About units...
I'm mostly fine with art, especially when it comes to Orcs, as for Humans, well, I would prefer normal shoulder pads :) Also, have to point again that I hate Spellbreaker, but I can live with it.
I actually love how Undead look, it certainly isn't what I expected them to be like, but I like 'realistic' feel that Abomination has, even if it's not really in the spirit of original or updated WoW model( that follows the original in my opinion).

I hope I'll like models for other key heroes. I'm excited to see Rexxar, Grom, Kael and Maiev.

That's my take on what I've seen so far. More thoughts after some new WIP photos or beta footage.

uHtPNig.png

I like doodads generally,i like how stone bench looked,how fountains looks (no metter about water part), generally all showed.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I got huge problems with rocks,it seems like basic stone is split into more parts...

I think they should really kinda follow original basic shapes but modernize it ofc. Something like last picture icon,without that top part xD...

But mostly i pray they dont go solid poo thing from first picture icon, omg...

yqnhlur.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maybe that horn part on statue irritates me ,i would go same like wc3...

Maybe those camps which looks nice, are more for creeps...

Camp tent we saw in wc3 is reminding me for humans,and it has its name Human Tent -something like that.

I think those small city walls is exactly how i want textures to be...Or those round tiles under the fountain. Just amazing...I liked "cliff fountain" model too alot (the one that is made from cliff textures in wc3,but in Rforged is a true model),and its textures...

About cliff textures and tiles they said they will remake(in Reforged i saw some too much cartoonish tiles in city and flat-plastic "realistic" tiles outside city).

For "City" cliff textures, i hope they go walls , maybe one easiy to copy-paste reskin, so we can add windows etc, pillars in it as form of texture etc.. rofl , you know what i mean :)

Anyway i hope i will not complain, i belive they will look good in new system and make them good in artisctic way, cause old system was pain in the a**.

Specually where a "scultp" 3d model file of clifs are not "tiled" very well.

And btw landscape cliff texture suxed at Reforged. I hate that plastic-mud effect wtf..

But they said they will make them awesome , and i believe them :)

Last edited:
Level 7

About units...

I do not think the new walls of the city are a kind of cliff, either it is the modified model of the stone wall of Warcraft 3... or it is a new doodad for Reforged. Why do I say this? Because in the gameplay of 40 minutes there are doodads that we had never seen before like the fruit stands (I attach the image below).

The truth is that the Reforged's earth cliff, while being "ugly", is far better than what is currently in Warcraft 3.

full

uHtPNig.png

I like doodads generally,i like how stone bench looked,how fountains looks (no metter about water part), generally all showed.

I got huge problems with rocks,it seems like basic stone is split into more parts...

I think they should really kinda follow original basic shapes but modernize it ofc. Something like last picture icon,without that top part xD...

But mostly i pray they dont go solid poo thing from first picture icon, omg...

yqnhlur.png

Maybe that horn part on statue irritates me ,i would go same like wc3...

Maybe those camps which looks nice, are more for creeps...

Camp tent we saw in wc3 is reminding me for humans,and it has its name Human Tent -something like that.

I think those small city walls is exactly how i want textures to be...Or those round tiles under the fountain. Just amazing...I liked "cliff fountain" model too alot (the one that is made from cliff textures in wc3,but in Rforged is a true model),and its textures...

About cliff textures and tiles they said they will remake(in Reforged i saw some too much cartoonish tiles in city and flat-plastic "realistic" tiles outside city).

For "City" cliff textures, i hope they go walls , maybe one easiy to copy-paste reskin, so we can add windows etc, pillars in it as form of texture etc.. rofl , you know what i mean :)

Anyway i hope i will not complain, i belive they will look good in new system and make them good in artisctic way, cause old system was pain in the a**.

Specually where a "scultp" 3d model file of clifs are not "tiled" very well.

And btw landscape cliff texture suxed at Reforged. I hate that plastic-mud effect wtf..

But they said they will make them awesome , and i believe them :)

To be honest I took a random rock in the Editor to make the comparison :grin: Still, seeing the care they have had recreating to the millimeter the modeling of the boxes or the bonfire, I would not be surprised if they respected the shapes of the stones.

Regarding the tilesets, I think they said in an interview that they had a lot of work ahead...

It seems they have changed the white marble for the red bricks but they have retained the edges of the old white marble... However, the cream-colored tiles of the Reforged are the same as those of Warcraft 3 with a more cartoon touch. Also, in Warcraft 3, the white marble overlaps the rest of the tiles, however in the Reforged they are using it underneath (I have changed them as if it were Reforged below)... strange...

full

I do not think the new walls of the city are a kind of cliff, either it is the modified model of the stone wall of Warcraft 3... or it is a new doodad for Reforged. Why do I say this? Because in the gameplay of 40 minutes there are doodads that we had never seen before like the fruit stands (I attach the image below).

The truth is that the Reforged's earth cliff, while being "ugly", is far better than what is currently in Warcraft 3.

full

To be honest I took a random rock in the Editor to make the comparison :grin: Still, seeing the care they have had recreating to the millimeter the modeling of the boxes or the bonfire, I would not be surprised if they respected the shapes of the stones.

Regarding the tilesets, I think they said in an interview that they had a lot of work ahead...

It seems they have changed the white marble for the red bricks but they have retained the edges of the old white marble... However, the cream-colored tiles of the Reforged are the same as those of Warcraft 3 with a more cartoon touch. Also, in Warcraft 3, the white marble overlaps the rest of the tiles, however in the Reforged they are using it underneath (I have changed them as if it were Reforged below)... strange...

full

Can i ask, do you have some experience in photoshop , like manipulating shape of alpha channel ?

About red bricks "parquet" and other tiles. it is possible that in campagin may look different :)

And ye i want it different for campagins only lol. But i also want they rmk them by default to look like original xD

Level 2
This is why I thought it might be some new cliff, and also, I hope we get many different walls, for dalaran, silvermoon etc.
terrain_floor-jpg.314613

I hope cliffs get upgraded in Refored, even if they are better in demo.

Attachments

• terrain_floor.jpg
    terrain_floor.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 1,395
This is why I thought it might be some new cliff, and also, I hope we get many different walls, for dalaran, silvermoon etc.
terrain_floor-jpg.314613

I hope cliffs get upgraded in Refored, even if they are better in demo.

I must say i like that curvature line alot, just glad they didnt go simple straight squarish edges.

Still i would like to know how this could be cliff, cause i dont get the picture,plz explain lol :)

P.S yes i want citys like you mentioned omg..I always wanted complex environment similar to wow, this is kinda best visual feeling of Reforged imo

Level 7
Can i ask, do you have some experience in photoshop , like manipulating shape of alpha channel ?

About red bricks "parquet" and other tiles. it is possible that in campagin may look different :)

And ye i want it different for campagins only lol. But i also want they rmk them by default to look like original xD

I have been using Photoshop for some time, I know there is an Alpha Channel and I think it is used to "hide" zones or use them for team color, but I have never worked with it.

Level 2
Models in wc3 didn't work the way that wall seems to be working. I don't think it's a model of wall in traditional wc3 way, it's continuing I believe, and connection or curvature line as you said looks like it's connected like cliffs are in wc3. It might be that I'm wrong, and it is not a new cliff, but I'm almost certain, that it's not a model in a traditional wc3 way.

Models in wc3 didn't work the way that wall seems to be working. I don't think it's a model of wall in traditional wc3 way, it's continuing I believe, and connection or curvature line as you said looks like it's connected like cliffs are in wc3. It might be that I'm wrong, and it is not a new cliff, but I'm almost certain, that it's not a model in a traditional wc3 way.

It can be a whole wall model like WoW wmo's or combination of doodads

Level 7
It can, but I doubt it.

I have seen again the Reforged trailer that was published in November and I have noticed that it appears in Strahnbrad (in the lower left corner) the same style of wall they have used in Stratholme.

WC3RCityWall.png

If we compare it with the gates of Strahnbrad in Warcraft III...

WC3CityWall.png

Maybe you're right and they're working on a new cliff system or maybe it's just a couple of doodads together.

EDIT: I have noticed that in this image you can see a piece of wall.

WC3RCityWallBonusImage.png

Last edited:
I have seen again the Reforged trailer that was published in November and I have noticed that it appears in Strahnbrad (in the lower left corner) the same style of wall they have used in Stratholme.

If we compare it with the gates of Strahnbrad in Warcraft III...

Maybe you're right and they're working on a new cliff system or maybe it's just a couple of doodads together.

EDIT: I have noticed that in this image you can see a piece of wall.

I believe its doodads, they remodeled old walls you showed from Strahnbrad, in their style ofc. In wc3 usually with walls tower is attached.

So it might be combination of walls and high towers.

Anyway, those walls and towers give you a feeling you are entering in some "city", and giving way more realistic look of game.

This part of environment will make wc3 look great,and i happy they understood it.

Also visual size of race buildings compared with units, would be nice...

But i dont know how they wil do it, since it would need redraw all maps, cause of ladder spawning goldmines...etc...

Also there are custom games using buildings as barriers, with speicifc visual size.

Altough, there was a feature in some maps, no metter how much visually resize a building, a selecting circle is always default by wc3 its self , understand...

Anyway even with visual sizing, there could be lot of problems with custom maps..

I rly have no idea how this feature would be possible so nothing get messy + classic reforged synchro... It would be hell of a work, not quite necessery cause amount of job...

Even tho a nice feature, cause of those reasons i think no ?

Maybe yes, maybe i dont know there are ways to do it, forgive me.

Cheers

Level 7
I believe its doodads, they remodeled old walls you showed from Strahnbrad, in their style ofc. In wc3 usually with walls tower is attached.

So it might be combination of walls and high towers.

Anyway, those walls and towers give you a feeling you are entering in some "city", and giving way more realistic look of game.

This part of environment will make wc3 look great,and i happy they understood it.

Also visual size of race buildings compared with units, would be nice...

But i dont know how they wil do it, since it would need redraw all maps, cause of ladder spawning goldmines...etc...

Also there are custom games using buildings as barriers, with speicifc visual size.

Altough, there was a feature in some maps, no metter how much visually resize a building, a selecting circle is always default by wc3 its self , understand...

Anyway even with visual sizing, there could be lot of problems with custom maps..

I rly have no idea how this feature would be possible so nothing get messy + classic reforged synchro... It would be hell of a work, not quite necessery cause amount of job...

Even tho a nice feature, cause of those reasons i think no ?

Maybe yes, maybe i dont know there are ways to do it, forgive me.

Cheers

The truth is that they look very good (although the scale seems too big), hopefully they will make more variations different races for such as the walls in Orgrimmar in the Rexxar Campaign.

For now we know that there will be new doodads and also have to have different collisions (because they are much larger, as in the case of the walls)...

To be honest, I am afraid that in a few months they will announce that it is impossible to synchronize the old graphics with the new graphics in the same way they did with the Starcraft remake...

How would they synchronize the new collisions?

How would they synchronize new doodads that do not exist in the original version?

I think we all know it's impossible, I hope I'm wrong.

EDIT: For example, in the first map of Human Campaign on Roc they have already changed, eliminated or added some doodads ... Compare the images.

WC3RHuman01.png

WC3Human01.png

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Was Strahnbrad supposed to be a city or a village. I think the latter, so that tower there doesn't quite fit.
How would they synchronize new doodads that do not exist in the original version?
For custom maps, only the old doodads which will be converted will be replaced when running those maps in Reforged. As for new doodads, you'll have to place them yourself.
The campaign maps have been remade/edited so it's not like they are being converted by Reforged. They are made with Reforged.

Was Strahnbrad supposed to be a city or a village. I think the latter, so that tower there doesn't quite fit.

For custom maps, only the old doodads which will be converted will be replaced when running those maps in Reforged. As for new doodads, you'll have to place them yourself.
The campaign maps have been remade/edited so it's not like they are being converted by Reforged. They are made with Reforged.

About Strahnbrad ye it might be village. So yes that tower is kinda unpropriate.

But what i wanna say is that new doodads maybe used specifically only in campagin maps, and its file as an extra bonus content can exist is "data" files.
So if you wanna build maps with them you will have to use them for that specific use.

If walls are replacement, then i dont know how some custom maps will behave.

But if its a new asset then there are 2 possible way i see : 1. Files are injected in map directly and its only source exist in campaign maps only (this would not be that smart having new content only in campaign maps...) 2. Reforged is having bonus content somewhere in "data",with bonus listfile that can not effect synchro between classic and reforged, with simple programming premises no problem, so the final differences lays only in visual appereance.

And specually for campaigns its not online multiplayer yet, so its easy for now,no problems...

Level 2
I just had to try to edit footman, to see how he would look with smaller shoulder pads, also I edited his helmet a little bit. I know I'm terrible with photo editing tools(just look how shitty his metal of the helmet looks on my edit), but still I wanted to show you guys. I think he would definitely look much better with smaller shoulder pads.
footman-edit-png.315081

P.S.
I know there are many guys here that could do actually a good job with edits like this one, and I would like to see your suggestions or edits.

Attachments

• footman edit.png
    footman edit.png
    392.1 KB · Views: 6,486

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
I just had to try to edit footman, to see how he would look with smaller shoulder pads, also I edited his helmet a little bit. I know I'm terrible with photo editing tools(just look how shitty his metal of the helmet looks on my edit), but still I wanted to show you guys. I think he would definitely look much better with smaller shoulder pads.
They still hamper visibility to the sides.

Level 11
I just had to try to edit footman (...)
They still hamper visibility to the sides.
It's nice, proportions are more balanced, so it's much better visually. I agree with Deepstrasz though, it could be reduced a bit more to improve the man's visibility.

Also, I'm still not comfortable with the golden rim in some armour parts, it wasn't on the original model and it makes the footman look too fancy, like he was a rich nobleman. It would fit better a knight or paladin, but not a footman who is supposed to be a regular soldier, a man of the people (some of them are even peasants who just grabbed their rusty sword to help their prince against the Scourge!). Actually, the current footman could be used as a captain.
But the shoulderpad is definitely the detail that needs the most tweaking, I've seen a lot of complaints about it, so hopefully Blizzard will take inspiration from this edited footman.

I can't wait to see Blizzard's next Reforged updates, hope they'll provide some new pictures soon.

Level 2
I also can't wait to see more details about Reforged. I hope they give us some screens or more of concept art... I wish they would give us some pictures on a monthly level, but I guess, that will only remain my wish.

Level 7
footman-edit-png.315081

P.S.
I know there are many guys here that could do actually a good job with edits like this one, and I would like to see your suggestions or edits.

Your edition is perfect! Adding the team color on the right shoulder pad and reducing the size of the shoulder pads is the best option, good work.

I think they should increase the size of the shield and the sword and make it more "robust", comparing it with the Footman of Wacraft 3... it seems too thin and short. I also think that the animation of "Stand" does not impose as much as that of the original Footman and that takes away his personality.

A quick idea of what I'm trying to say is the Footman on the right. Size of the shoulder pads reduced, shield size and sword increased, "decoration" of the shield removed or add the symbol of Lordaeron.

WC3RFootman.png

WC3RFootman2.png

Level 2
Your edition is perfect! Adding the team color on the right shoulder pad and reducing the size of the shoulder pads is the best option, good work.

I think they should increase the size of the shield and the sword and make it more "robust", comparing it with the Footman of Wacraft 3... it seems too thin and short. I also think that the animation of "Stand" does not impose as much as that of the original Footman and that takes away his personality.

A quick idea of what I'm trying to say is the Footman on the right. Size of the shoulder pads reduced, shield size and sword increased, "decoration" of the shield removed or add the symbol of Lordaeron.

Your sword seems a little too large, I made it bigger also, so maybe somewhere between what we both made it to be?

Anyway, I like how you edited shield, made it simple, while it also looks good.

Level 7
Your sword seems a little too large, I made it bigger also, so maybe somewhere between what we both made it to be?

Anyway, I like how you edited shield, made it simple, while it also looks good.

Yes, the sword is maybe too big :grin:.
The shield should be large and the sword longer. As in the Intro of Warcraft 3.
The shields are big, as it has to be.

WC3Shields.png

Level 11
@Sieben look at the golden rims of the WcIII Footman^
Oh! Well spotted!
I had never seen it before, I thought it was only on the helmet. Oh well. I still don't like it, but I can't say it doesn't fit the original model now :p

I think they should increase the size of the shield and the sword and make it more "robust", comparing it with the Footman of Wacraft 3... it seems too thin and short.
I agree that the shield could be a little bigger, to better cover the footman's body, but you really think it's too thin? It's super thick already! A normal human being shouldn't be able to carry such a thick, heavy shield! :p

I also think that the animation of "Stand" does not impose as much as that of the original Footman and that takes away his personality.
I agree with that. Someone wrote somewhere (official Reforged forums, or Reddit) that the footman's posture didn't reflect what the unit is supposed to be, and I liked what he said. In the current Reforged version, the guy stands straight, like posing for a fashion catalogue. He doesn't look like he's "ready for action"! On the other hand, the original version shows the footman not as straight, but in an alert position, ready for combat at anytime. It also reflects the fact that the footman is not a proud, noble and invincible hero who poses like a statue, but a man of the people, who's just here to defend his land and who is indeed "ready for action".

"decoration" of the shield removed or add the symbol of Lordaeron.
I'd like it better if the shield was kept neutral. Not only because it would match better the original model, but also because it would be much better for campaigns and custom games, since all footmen are not necessarily from Lordaeron: they could be from Stormwind, Stromgarde, Kul Tiras (like in Rexxar's campaign), etc, or even another universe that is not Warcraft.

Last edited:
Level 2
Another quick edit.

Arthas with smaller shoulder pads, but they are still very wide so his armor looks more epic than what units have. His neck is also too long but I didn't edit it in this picture. MAybe having a bigger head would make things better.

arthasedit-png.315100

I've also noticed that I like his face when he's angry looking like in this picture.

Attachments

• arthasEdit.png
    arthasEdit.png
    324.5 KB · Views: 2,317
Last edited:
Level 7
Oh! Well spotted!
I agree that the shield could be a little bigger, to better cover the footman's body, but you really think it's too thin? It's super thick already! A normal human being shouldn't be able to carry such a thick, heavy shield! :p

Sorry, I mean the sword is thin and needs to be more robust :D

Another quick edit.

Arthas with smaller shoulder pads, but they are still very wide so his armor looks more epic than what units have. His neck is also too long but I didn't edit it in this picture. MAybe having a bigger head would make things better.

arthasedit-png.315100

I've also noticed that I like his face when he's angry looking like in this picture.

I love it!
He is angry because you have reduced the size of his shoulder pads :mad:

footman-edit-png.315081

P.S.

Nice, btw there is a way for his helmet so armor still do not block his vision, as someone complain even in this edit. I dont know if this statement still stands for this edit, but i can 100% tell that Reforged footman and his armor above his head could be killed only by infernal from the sky and with blade master samurai attack.

About helm there is a solution, so he still look thick "aka realistic proportions" as they wanna represent to us in Reforged, and so the armor look proportional.

It is when you try go with this helm

YxDO4bq.png

Also about velvet thing between his legs i thing it should me more stylezed like on community model (not flat as Reforged)

5DrDJqQ.png

And the most important thing - foots must be more fat , its well know for military things.

Cause with thick body proportions as they wanna do in Reforged (with helm he will get an elite model charm) and with stronger fat boots he will have required strenght.

Anyway its a FOOT MAN

Level 9
Human altar of kings:
  • The Lordaeron banner looks cool, but it is unnecessary. It ruins all the potential of altar of kings in custom maps, because all custom maps don't take place in Lordaeron, all humans are not from Lordaeron, etc.

Add an option in the Object Editor to appear the Lordaeron banner, or other factions. Unchecked this option is without flag.
Having that option I suggested would be opposite of what you said. Being an aggrandizement (options via World Editor) for custom maps.

Level 7
Recently Blizzard added new subforums to the official forum of Warcraft 3 Reforged.

We have three new icons!

I have compared them with the original Warcraft 3 and I think they're pretty cool, what do you think?

full

Status
Not open for further replies.