• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft III Reforged - Artistic/Textures/UI Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is fucking sad...

I was getting bored this morning and I got some more icons (surely you have seen it before), so we have some entertainment while Blizzard publishes some news...

While I looked at the gameplay I also noticed the sword models AGAIN...
Definitely, the Footman sword seems horrible to me and now that I have seen the sword of the Militia it seems infinitely better, the Knight swords are better than Footman's but they also has very weird proportions...

I think they should follow the style of Militia's sword.

Yeah it could be alot better if they used Milita's sword for footman\knight and give back him his poor man's axe

Level 11
Yeah it could be alot better if they used Milita's sword for footman\knight and give back him his poor man's axe
Exactly this.

I've said it before: footman's sword is extremely weird. In Reforged style, which is slightly more realistic than classic WC3, it doesn't fit at all. But even in a very cartoony style, it wouldn't fit either.
I had never noticed before but Knights have weird swords too. A tad less weird maybe, but weird anyway. Footmen and Knights should have a sword looking more like Militia's sword, and give an axe to those peasants.

About the icons:
  • Scrolls could be improved. With that design, I don't think one would recognise instantly what item it refers to.
  • The gem is very different from the original icon. I don't see what the new icon is supposed to represent.
  • Mana potion: design is ok, but there is too much black in the new icon. It could be slightly zoomed in, so the object is recognisable more quickly.
  • Health potion: same comment as Mana potion
  • Aura of devotion, Wand of Negation, Wood Gathering Upgrade: perfect icons. Original design is preserved. This is what I expect from a HD Warcraft.

@Juveqis tnx for those research and screenshot its very usefull. Those items are not good for recognision...

In reforge my brain will detect a new artstyle icon for item. Then i will visualy compare their look with old look (association). if i dont find a similarity then i will read descciption of an item.
Then when i buy new i will repeat the process. Then when they are aligned in my inventory i must memorize them all

So i highly suggest do not go direct ladder compete xD, do practice first. Also, what happens with custom games where you kinda buy items in start (that are faster than meele ladder...). Ill tell you : The result is AFK. The consequences are : Kick player for AFK ? Why all of it? Cause items are badly made...

I go AFK and study your screenshot so when Reforged comes out i be ready to play immidiate yeah!

Level 7
Footmen and Knights should have a sword looking more like Militia's sword, and give an axe to those peasants.

I agree.

However, the axe used by the Reforged peasants is different from the pickaxe used by the WCIII peasants, and, if used by the militias, it looks more like a two-handed axe than a one-handed axe...
We'll see how they solve it, if they solve it...

WC3RPeasant.png

peasant.gif
militia.gif

@Juveqis tnx for those research and screenshot its very usefull. Those items are not good for recognision...

In reforge my brain will detect a new artstyle icon for item. Then i will visualy compare their look with old look (association). if i dont find a similarity then i will read descciption of an item.
Then when i buy new i will repeat the process. Then when they are aligned in my inventory i must memorize them all

So i highly suggest do not go direct ladder compete xD, do practice first. Also, what happens with custom games where you kinda buy items in start (that are faster than meele ladder...). Ill tell you : The result is AFK. The consequences are : Kick player for AFK ? Why all of it? Cause items are badly made...

I go AFK and study your screenshot so when Reforged comes out i be ready to play immidiate yeah!

NP dude, I did not know what icon of Warcraft III correspond to many of the scrolls of the Reforged but in the gameplay the names can be read because they are sold in a Gobin Merchant, otherwise it would have been impossible :grin:

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
The Town Portal Scroll looks like... well... not the Scroll of Town Portal.
Why does the mana scroll have a red ribbon now instead of blue!? I thought the red one was for the restoration scroll since mana is blue, healing is green... Same with the first scroll.
The Gem of True Seeing is like a Diablo II socket gem now...

I don't mind the swords art that much but Militia did not have swords...

Hopefully, we can use the old/original icons in Reforged too either as a game option or for mapping.

Level 11
People who buy a ticket to attend next Blizzcon will get a grunt or a footman statue: Join Us At BlizzCon 2019
LLWF2MD9LHJF1556082391240.jpg
FUO5GTSAU2K21556082180154.jpg
Those are clearly inspired by Reforged models. From what I see, Blizzard seems to stick with the style we were shown at Blizzcon 2018. Huge, gigantic pauldrons, which makes the footman look like a kid who's trying his dad's armour on, and ridiculous toy sword.

I'm very curious to know if some of our feedback will be taken into consideration here, or if that style will be the one that will be shipped with Reforged.

People who buy a ticket to attend next Blizzcon will get a grunt or a footman statue: Join Us At BlizzCon 2019
Those are clearly inspired by Reforged models. From what I see, Blizzard seems to stick with the style we were shown at Blizzcon 2018. Huge, gigantic pauldrons, which makes the footman look like a kid who's trying his dad's armour on, and ridiculous toy sword.

I'm very curious to know if some of our feedback will be taken into consideration here, or if that style will be the one that will be shipped with Reforged.

Ye srsly alot of ppl complained about that footman...And blizz go this sytle as their new brand ???

I just hope this is a temporarly toy thingy and not they new core artstyle,otherwise we are doomed...
Tell me its for kids right ? Ye, its made for kids right guys ?

Level 11
On another subject, Blizzard just released a Hearthstone video: Hearthstone
It's not Warcraft III, but it shares the same universe. And what we see is... Disney-like graphics. Freaking Disney graphics and atmosphere, with gags for children. What have they done to Warcraft?
To me, Warcraft will always be this:
bb6e3801bd34f7b54628ee1fe6067fdb.jpg

metzen3.jpg

141710737056dfe3eed348adda06e1d1--warcraft--fantasy-art.jpg

b18d11f36d7bad30048997c4c4e5b34c.jpg
It's definitely not the same universe anymore.

It's not Warcraft III, but it shares the same universe. And what we see is... Disney-like graphics. Freaking Disney graphics and atmosphere, with gags for children. What have they done to Warcraft?

metzen3.jpg

Exactly and the animated Warcraft game will always look like this to me not like Reforged(that not even bothers to hear the man they invented to present the game's(Grubby's) feedback about footman)
Dentarg The Right Hand of Ner'zhul

Level 7
I think we are condemned.
I will think for my own emotional stability that these statues are 3D models that can be changed at any time and that is why they have not yet "applied" the Footman feedback.
Do not worry, everything will be great.

Level 2

metzen3.jpg

Hearthstone always had that Disney design and in my opinion new WoW faces have a similar feel to it and I really don't like that. But for me even these early artworks of Metzen and Samwise seem too outdated right now. I always wanted remastered models to be inspired by WC3 cinematics, but I know I'll never get that, so I'm just looking forward to see new World Editor and Model Editor.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
I think we are condemned.
I will think for my own emotional stability that these statues are 3D models that can be changed at any time and that is why they have not yet "applied" the Footman feedback.
Pretty much me right now.

As soon as I opened this, Wc2 Menu music started playing almost instantly in my head.

Level 8
[QUOTE =“kantarion,post:3341492,member:248508”] 2秒后我的回复确认orapa所说的关于开发=已删除并禁止xD
为什么他们这么沉默,他们可以设置测试日期,所以我们知道我们在等什么,这是疯了。
屏幕截图有点触动,就像重铸论坛的补丁线程上的无用回复一样。血腥的任何东西
晚安,这个重铸了很奇奇,它让我变得疯狂[/ QUOTE]
Just wait,the Blizzard secrecy is very obsessive

[QUOTE =“Sieben,帖子:3342230,成员:234187”]在另一个主题上,暴雪刚刚发布了一个炉石传说视频:炉石
它不是魔兽争霸III,但它拥有相同的宇宙。我们看到的是......类似迪斯尼的图形。吓坏了迪士尼的图形和氛围,给孩子们带来噱头。他们对魔兽做了什么?
对我而言,魔兽将永远是这样的:
[扰流]

metzen3.jpg

[/扰流]
它绝对不再是同一个宇宙了。[/ QUOTE]
Wow,they are wc2 original painting,they are wonderful.But the Wc2 game system is not suitable for period requirement,it's not enjoyable anymore,I hope they can remake it.

[QUOTE =“Sieben,帖子:3342208,成员:234187”]购买下一张Blizzcon门票的人将得到一个咕噜声或一个仆人雕像:加入我们的BlizzCon 2019
[扰流板]
[/扰流板]
[扰流板]
[/扰流板]
这些显然受到了Reforged模型的启发。从我看来,暴雪似乎坚持我们在暴雪2018年展示的风格。巨大的,巨大的坩埚,使得这个仆人看起来像一个正在尝试他父亲的盔甲的孩子,以及荒谬的玩具剑。

我非常想知道我们是否会在这里考虑一些反馈,或者这种风格是否会与Reforged一起提供。[/ QUOTE]
If they don't change them ,I hope they can make skin system,as similar as sc2,so that they can add a regular model,like Hots footman model(Alterac pass and Varian skin)

If they can comply with this image,it will look better.

Attachments

• IMG_1140.PNG
    IMG_1140.PNG
    1.9 MB · Views: 221
Last edited by a moderator:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Great catch. I'm in love with that archer. Wondering if it is the standard non-hero archer? Looks so special to me and has no cape. Or am I forgetting a unit?
First feelings are positive, but let's see how ingame shots will be.
Maybe Shandris? Nah. Anyway, looks like the night elves lost their tribal look. I guess they left that for the orcs? Or, of course, multiple skin/model variations.

Level 7
I think it's the "normal" model of a Dark Ranger... but that doesn't make sense because it's in the Night Elves section.

Level 6
It has the skin of a night elf. I don't think it's a Dark Ranger because in addition, what you wrote.

Wait. Why does Furion have wings? I mean it makes sense on the Druid of the Talon.

Shandris seems most likely of all guesses. Probably it's not the normal Archer because the very "special" face. But that is just a random guess.

Furion has these wings in World of Warcraft.
latest

Reactions: pyf
Level 7
It has the skin of a night elf. I don't think it's a Dark Ranger because in addition, what you wrote.

Wait. Why does Furion have wings? I mean it makes sense on the Druid of the Talon.

Yes... you're right, the skin is purple so she can't be dead...
Well she has to be Shandris, but I don't understand the choice of the gold colors in the place of silver like Wacraft III (File:Shandrisw3.JPG)...
She doesn't has the cloak either.
The purple shine of the bow and its eyes totally disconcert me.
She is the only ranged unit of the Night Elves that has the hood on (since it is the same model as Sylvanas) so, here we have Shandris.

I think he can't be Furion because it doesn't have horns.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Furion has these wings in World of Warcraft.
I know that. We're Warcraft III fans, mostly. Those wings don't make sense since he doesn't morph in either a crow/raven/bird or wildkin.
It is sadly druid of talon for sure, and about Archer\Shandris all I can say is disappointment
If it's indeed the Druid of Talon, which would make sense, then I really feel it's a good design.

@Juveqis lol cyborg archer (one eyed glow; or maybe the character has only one eye left?).

Level 14
If that is an Archer then they are seriously just ditching even basic design we had for elves which even WoW upheld up to BFA....with purple and silver armour, and numberous lunar symbols, but then Also BFA has far more accurate representations of Arthas and Jaina to their wc3 selves.... I will fix it myself through next couple of years i guess model by model.
All you had to do was to just pick up where Wc3HD pack for sc2 was and make it so for all the models...but i guess its too much to ask for. Wc3HD had 100% faithful designs and animations(remade but with same motions in more detail for hand, clothing and facial movement).
Not to mention even audio isnt respected which prophecy intro is just best example for, redub and complete relocalization too...which in case of polish dubbing will ruin one of the gems from the past with very passionate and theatrical acting that is surpassing original at times, well time to just see it replaced with Hots level modern dub with sex jokes and terrible writing.... 'Yaay'

Edit: Hulk orcs with sausage fingers thick as human forearms are just dumb....why we couldnt get faithful Wc2/3 style orcs which arent Hulk rip-offs is also beyond me, there wasnt even a slight attempt to stay in like with anything for it to begin with, from ui which now will follow stupid MOBA trends instead of keeping original one, design for characters which doesnt try to be faithful to neither wc2 artwork/wc3 or even wow for that matter(BFA arthas and jaina again as perfect example) and goes with something else and far worse to take away every bit of personality that this game has. Plus outright mockery of original and artists who made the game 17 years ago during blizzcon dev panel by laughin at it and insulting it with lines like "That's how they "ART"-ed back in the day". This is just unacceptable

There is even another layer to this with totally nerfing how creepy and unsettling wc3's undead are, you replace them with stupid goofy ghoul, original undead have yellow dread looking skin with ghouls having twitching veins on their heads and looking just gnarly. You just replace it with goofy disney like replacements, with has nothing to do with how they look in wc3.

You didnt even try to honour Warcraft III at any point. Starcraft Remaster is direct proof because with it blizzard just shown atmost, religious even RESPECT for Starcraft 1 and kept their "fixes" to absolute minimum. But as i said before....simingly Warcarft 3 DOES NOT deserve such treatment

Last edited:
Level 7
What do you think? Makes sense? Or am I crazy? (I'm not saying it's Sylvanas)

Sin título-4.jpg

Not to mention even audio isnt respected which prophecy intro is just best example for, redub and complete relocalization too

This is one of the things I fear most... Almost the same thing will happen in spanish. The original dubbing is masterful (even in Latin America they love it, which is very difficult because they are always complaining about the Spanish accent and many Spaniards complain about the Latin accent, it is an endless war), in Reforged it will be horrible...

View attachment 326385

This is one of the things I fear most... Almost the same thing will happen in spanish. The original dubbing is masterful (even in Latin America they love it, which is very difficult because they are always complaining about the Spanish accent and many Spaniards complain about the Latin accent, it is an endless war), in Reforged it will be horrible...

Taliban Ranger, prepurchese Reforged now to get this skin for Dark Ranger!

Last edited:
Level 14
Taliban Ranger, prepurchese Reforged now for get this skin for Dark Ranger!
Point of reforged is to just milk money and turn it into another free to play economy like sc2 with its skins is, except here its just disgusting since its not a new game but supposed remake. Its as insulting as lootboxes in CoD Modern Warfare remaster that Dun DUn DUN!! also ACTIVISION made.

Level 3
Point of reforged is to just milk money and turn it into another free to play economy like sc2 with its skins is, except here its just disgusting since its not a new game but supposed remake. Its as insulting as lootboxes in CoD Modern Warfare remaster that Dun DUn DUN!! also ACTIVISION made.

And why exactly would this turn of events be considered bad in your view?

This literally means longevity. And updates. And content patches. In a word, alive game.

Taliban Ranger

Ditto. And I'm loving it. I crave this vision of Warcraft! Edgy and realistic! Remember, Night Elves are a society of brutal guerilla fighters. Like the mujahideen.

Level 3

What do you mean? Any sensible person wants microtransactions. Because Blizzrd would get the money needed for keeping the game afloat.

Or is this forum completely anti-Blizzard? I'm usually active on the official forums.

TotalBiscuit said that the SC2 population had been begging for years for microtransactions. Now the game has been in an upwards spiral since 2015.

Level 14

The displayed archer artstyle transmits the feeling of a stealthy assassin, a ninja, or something along that line.
This isn't bad per se, it's a theme that might go well with a faction of dark elves as it's part of the trope for that race.
But this really does not go well with the style of the night elves of warcraft 3 as they've been established and depicted during all these years in the franchise.
It's VERY confusing in the warcraft 3 scene because this kind of artstyle, and dress color scheme, has traditionally been reserved to the dark rangers of the forsaken, as others already mentioned here.
To a spectator accustomed to warcraft 3/wow, this archer looks like a weird hybrid between the two mentioned factions. You want the basic unit of a faction to be very characteristic and recognizable, this is not. I hope this archer sees some updates in that direction.
Never been a fan of that eyeglow or the glowing bowstring, but this is a matter strictly of personal taste.

The portrayed druid of the talon on the other hand is quite consistent with the theme chosen for druids in the franchise along the years. I only have to say that the theme itself doesn't look good to me; the character looks like he's wearing a chicken costume and its elements just don't cmmunicate the theme of the "night" enough imo.
I would be overjoyed if the creators of this update to warcraft 3 wanted to revise this kind of druid and decided to make a comparable quality remake of the old alpha concept for this warcraft 3 unit, which looked way more consistent with the theme of night with its deep blue and gray hue, at least to me.
0subd6.jpg

Level 6
I know that. We're Warcraft III fans, mostly.

As am I. Just saying everything is possible since it seems like they are going a bit stronger in the World of Warcraft direction considering their style.

Btw. it probably means nothing, but the three other pictures of the races in this category all contain normal units and no heroes at all which would confirm that it is a druid of the talon we have here. And it could suggest that it is a normal archer and not Shandris, even though she is no "hero unit". And the heroes are also featured earlier on the page.

I don't know, I always find this "milking gamers" term so hypocritical. As if gamers would be little occupied cows that could not make their own decisions and have to buy things as soon as they come out. This is just not realistic. The gaming market is like any other market: Supply and demand. You have to understand that making money is exactly what a company wants and if you are unhappy with the way they are doing it because you feel it is unfair, that is totally fine. But at the end of the day the only way this should end is in not buying the game as this is the only way for Blizzard to see that people are unhappy with their game. If it still gets bought a lot that means the demand is big for that, and why should they not continue doing that then.

Level 8

View attachment 326385

It makes sense, you're not crazy. I thought the same!

Level 3
Now that I think of it, it's most likely a Dark Ranger. I'm buying Triceron's argument that her team colour is black, whereas all the other NE units on the page (including the Archer's icon above) are teal.

Not to mention even audio isnt respected which prophecy intro is just best example for, redub and complete relocalization too...which in case of polish dubbing will ruin one of the gems from the past with very passionate and theatrical acting that is surpassing original at times, well time to just see it replaced with Hots level modern dub with sex jokes and terrible writing.... 'Yaay'

And how exactly would you bring back the old voice actors? Some are dead. Some are too old. Maiev's English voice actress in HotS, Debi Mae West, is the same (and I unironically like her), but she got a throat surgery, and some in the community were in disbelief that it's her.

Btw. it probably means nothing, but the three other pictures of the races in this category all contain normal units and no heroes at all which would confirm that it is a druid of the talon we have here. And it could suggest that it is a normal archer and not Shandris, even though she is no "hero unit". And the heroes are also featured earlier on the page.

You are missing a giant tree in the background. It definitely breaks the logic of the former three panels - neither of those features a building.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Taliban Ranger, prepurchese Reforged now to get this skin for Dark Ranger!
and get a real life dynamite belt just in case you don't like Reforged :D
This literally means longevity. And updates. And content patches. In a word, alive game.
You're funny. Who, again prolonged this game's life? The? The? Community! That's right.
If they want to do it adequately, they should release expansions not soft DLCs.
Ditto. And I'm loving it. I crave this vision of Warcraft! Edgy and realistic! Remember, Night Elves are a society of brutal guerilla fighters. Like the mujahideen.
This is not a matter of taste. It's a matter of retconning the night elven society.

Dark Rangers are undead. They don't have night elf skin.

Level 14
And how exactly would you bring back the old voice actors? Some are dead. Some are too old. Maiev's English voice actress in HotS, Debi Mae West, is the same (and I unironically like her), but she got a throat surgery, and some in the community were in disbelief that it's her.
Keep original recordings and lines, they arent in bad quality at all, and for fixes or new lines just look for people who can impersonate the original actors who are gone. Wc3 isnt from 1996 with some terrible compressed audio, everything inside the game is uncompressed 40 000 hz wav format sounds and music is high quality mp3's.
There is no reason to update it other than for aggressive revisionistic changes with their stupid retconning that is very disrespectful of Warcraft III and how it revamped the warcraft's universe from excessively silly tones from Wc1 and wc2 and made it into grand and serious story and expanded the world, and instead of honouring it with its historical significatnce to show how it was and embrace it, it was revised and mangled.
Obviously there are flaws and things to fix in original game but nothing that requires complete disregard for it in every way and i wiill never stop bringing up Starcraft Remaster and how it was treated like holy artifact when they remade it and Wc3HD assets from Sc2 which are both direct proofs that IT IS POSSIBLE to make it faithfully and they just chose not to.

Level 5
The nonsensical thing is that while they go with WoW-esque style on one hand, on the other they do just some crazy things that don't fit WoW or Wc3 either. Like the footman unit model. Even in WoW, when we look at Stormwind's guards they look quite simple, like Wc3 Footmen, but then for Reforged they went for the SUPER FANCY AND SHINY MASTER-LEVEL FANTASY armor. o_O

Level 3
If they want to do it adequately, they should release expansions not soft DLCs.

Expansions are literally DLCs. Also called add-ons. I don't get it.

Reforged is not an expansion. And expansions are a BIG no-no. Adding new multiplayer content that is must-buy... Basically the risk of killing WC3 WC4 would have without its being WC4.

Dark Rangers are undead. They don't have night elf skin.

I'm not sure about this. Aboms and Ghouls have white skin in SD but blue in Reforged. As far as I know, blue skin is more realistic and gruesome. But hey, Dotards were crying that Stitches in HotS is less gruesome because his skin is blue.

and Wc3HD assets from Sc2 which are both direct proofs that IT IS POSSIBLE to make it faithfully and they just chose not to.

Those SC2 assets look horrible. That is what I expected a WC3 remake to be before I saw Reforged. That's why I never wanted a WC3 remake before I saw Reforged. Reforged blows it out of the water. Both the ugly SC2 assets and that ugly fan mode Armies of Azeroth.

The nonsensical thing is that while they go with WoW-esque style on one hand, on the other they do just some crazy things that don't fit WoW or Wc3 either. Like the footman unit model.

The Reforged Footman looks the closest to the model in the Thrall's Vision cinematic.

Also here's my WIP feedback on arthas and jaina...

I don't like your edit, honestly. Maybe reduce the pauldron size and neck length a bit, and improve Jaina's face (either to Europoid or Chinese standards). But not more. Your leg change makes no sense.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Expansions are literally DLCs. Also called add-ons. I don't get it.
Yes, you don't.
blue skin is more realistic
!? maybe when you have cyanosis but not when you're dead.
That is what I expected a WC3 remake to be before I saw Reforged. That's why I never wanted a WC3 remake before I saw Reforged. Reforged blows it out of the water. Both the ugly SC2 assets and that ugly fan mode Armies of Azeroth.
Your opinion mate which I hope doesn't come to be, else you can be the only one who buys the game, oh I'm sorry, not a new game.

Status
Not open for further replies.