• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft III Reforged - Artistic/Textures/UI Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Yes, you don't.

Care to explain? Why are you so harsh? I haven't met such unwelcome people on the official forums.

!? maybe when you have cyanosis but not when you're dead.

I asked Google, and some knowledgeable posts on Quora confirmed that corpses turn blueish with time. Is that incorrect according to your sources?

Your opinion mate which I hope doesn't come to be, else you can be the only one who buys the game, oh I'm sorry, not a new game.

My opinion is more valuable than that of purists. Because purists do not need to buy Reforged. And I am legitimately happy for it - purists is what has kept this game alive for decades, and otherwise, a must-buy Reforged would have pissed them off and WC3 would have died. Or moved completely to Garena.

Also, you seem to be critiquing Reforged overall because you hate remakes? Incredible! But to this argument, I have to respond that Reforged is not a cash grab - it prolongs the life of WC3 by 1) making it being able to be run on modern hardware and 2) possibly attracting possible new blood. Credit goes to the two-faced hypocrite of a streamer Grubby for this amazing summary (see? I'm not shilling for him, I'm independently-minded).

You can't be serious dude

Yes, I am dead serious. It is a legitimately unpopular opinion, but I even disliked AoA videos on YouTube (back when my account had not yet been deleted in the March 2019 purge). Even thouh I try keeping clear head and must admit that the popularity of AoA might be the reason why we have Reforged at all.

My problem with AoA is that it's exactly what I imagined. Reforged blew all my expectations out of the water. It looks better than even SC2 in-game cinematics (such as Zeratul vs Kerrigan in WoL or Zeratul vs Artanis in LotV)!

Sometimes people take the power they took from forums and Omelette too serious that they believe taking it to Hive will work too :D

Carrying the sigil of Omelette into the darkest corners of cyberspace! And nothing short of ban can stop me! (Because I don't usually dodge it.) (Oooohh.)

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Care to explain? Why are you so harsh? I haven't met such unwelcome people on the official forums.
Guess there's a first for everything. It's also because your answers seem unfriendly.
What's to explain? The DLC era is obviously not at the same level with the expansions era. DLCs are usually much less content than an expansions and you pay for them much more than you're supposed to. That's why for instance, I waited for Nova Covert Ops to be all released before purchasing it.
My opinion is more valuable than that of purists.
And you're asking why I am "unwelcome" with that superior attitude.
a must-buy Reforged would have pissed them off and WC3 would have died
Wrong. We were still doing our things, people from the community made unofficial new native type editors and stuff, model editors and much much more, things Reforged doesn't even dream of bringing.
Also, you seem to be critiquing Reforged overall because you hate remakes?
I wonder where you get these ideas from?
making it being able to be run on modern hardware
You're funny. Have you heard of GoG.com and by the way, Diablo (the first game) and Warcraft: Orcs & Humans, and Warcraft II on that site running on the latest Windows OS?

You just like going with the Reforged bandwagon with little reasoning. We on the other hand expose the flaws in both visual as other designs.

Level 3
What's to explain? The DLC era is obviously not at the same level with the expansions era. DLCs are usually much less content than an expansions and you pay for them much more than you're supposed to. That's why for instance, I waited for Nova Covert Ops to be all released before purchasing it.

You have not explained why you would prefer Blizzard's releasing expansions to DLCs. I for one vehemently oppose both if they are paid and affect melee.

And you have not explained why you are calling Reforged a DLC. Reforged is what you make it to be - nothing if you wish so.

And you're asking why I am "unwelcome" with that superior attitude.

Not superior, but technical. Those, who like Reforged, buy it, those, who don't, don't. What's not to like? Aside from the power struggle (that I welcome, I'm Nietzschean, but logic plox).

Wrong. We were still doing our things, people from the community made unofficial new native type editors and stuff, model editors and much much more, things Reforged doesn't even dream of bringing.

How is this relevant? I said that Reforged is good because I know the danger of its being a must-buy fully well.

I wonder where you get these ideas from?

Because you said "not a new game". Regarding Reforged as something smaller. I regard it as something incredibly bigger than a game. The biggest news of the decade. The work on it is titanic.

You're funny. Have you heard of GoG.com and by the way, Diablo (the first game) and Warcraft: Orcs & Humans, and Warcraft II on that site running on the latest Windows OS?

I'm illiterate in these things. One of the facts I know is that you have to tinker with the shortcut for the mouse cursor not to be sluggish. That is enough reason to pay Blizzard rupees (well, no. But it's a part.)

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
I for one vehemently oppose both if they are paid and affect melee.
I didn't say they should necessarily affect the ladder play. Say, an expansion like the Nova Covert Ops, new official models, skins stuff, you know?
And you have not explained why you are calling Reforged a DLC. Reforged is what you make it to be - nothing if you wish so.
:\ your interpretation level is too damn high!
DLCs will come with/after Reforged, microtransactions etc.
Reforged is what you make it to be - nothing if you wish so.
We're talking about something "palpable", not about religion.
Not superior, but technical. Those, who like Reforged, buy it, those, who don't, don't. What's not to like? Aside from the power struggle (that I welcome, I'm Nietzschean, but logic plox).
Now, you're twisting your own "arguments".
How is this relevant?
Read your reply again and then mine.
Because you said "not a new game". Regarding Reforged as something smaller. I regard it as something incredibly bigger than a game. The biggest news of the decade. The work on it is titanic.
In your head maybe.

Since you like to spam the thread with your superior propaganda, I will just ignore your next void argument replies.

Level 3
We're talking about something "palpable", not about religion.

?? How am I wrong?

Now, you're twisting your own "arguments".

?? How am I wrong?

your next void argument replies

You are literally dodging the argument! It is I who's not getting the simplest things, but I at least try - both to understand and to explain. You don't... Why?

Your opinion mate which I hope doesn't come to be, else you can be the only one who buys the game, oh I'm sorry, not a new game.

otherwise, a must-buy Reforged would have pissed them off and WC3 would have died. Or moved completely to Garena.

How is this relevant? I said that Reforged is good because I know the danger of its being a must-buy fully well.

Read your reply again and then mine.

And?

Off-topic. I tried to find some alternate ways for jaina face, doing it on existing Reforged basis.
My conclusion is next, face is cool, but it need to be covered with hood more and lighter eyes (or she will have asian eyes like Reforged one) - this is easy and option A,which is kinda enough maybe.

Option B (harder way) : My edit, enlight eyes,add makeup upon eyes, add eyebags (cause asian young women lack of it), extend hood to give mystical magiacian look, add fatter trim,add bangs and hair from sides and some very rare bangs on forehead...
its texturing job mainly
The only physical change would actually be thiner nostril (nose) and bangs job

mMQ5daM.png

You have not explained why you would prefer Blizzard's releasing expansions to DLCs. I for one vehemently oppose both if they are paid and affect melee.

I'm illiterate in these things. One of the facts I know is that you have to tinker with the shortcut for the mouse cursor not to be sluggish. That is enough reason to pay Blizzard rupees (well, no. But it's a part.)

And that's it ladies and gentlemen we now have got the KingOmelette representative in the full mode here in Hive! Cut sentences in half to make some invalid arguments and deny stuff you have said a post before!

Last edited:
Level 7
And that's it ladies and gentlemen we now have got the KingOmelette represantative in the full mode here in Hive! Cut sentences in half to make some invalid arguments and deny stuff you have said a post before!

I do not know why but I already suspected that it was KingOmelette or one of his acolytes...

Level 14
Off-topic. I tried to find some alternate ways for jaina face, doing it on existing Reforged basis.
My conclusion is next, face is cool, but it need to be covered with hood more and lighter eyes (or she will have asian eyes like Reforged one) - this is easy and option A,which is kinda enough maybe.

Option B (harder way) : My edit, enlight eyes,add makeup upon eyes, add eyebags (cause asian young women lack of it), extend hood to give mystical magiacian look, add fatter trim,add bangs and hair from sides and some very rare bangs on forehead...
its texturing job mainly
The only physical change would actually be thiner nostril (nose) and bangs job
Looks more like Jaina, that way, but it would be better if just did her like on my sketches while keeping the same motions in remade animations(like wc3hd) so same animations with few new added for slow walking and maybe few other things(alternate cast using victory/duid of the talon cast and channeling similar to Archmage). Main problem is that they just copy her design from early-mid wow/heartstone heroes of the storm directly, with this stupid armour set she had since vanilla wow and only because of limitations in WoW at hte time, which also caused several other stupid designs becoming canon, like appearence of orcs. Her BFA model is incredibly close in tone and facial appereance to her Wc3 self same goes for Arthas in her visions in BFA who is currently most accurate higher fidelity representation of arthas, with proper hammer and armour and is much better than godawful Woltk model from Caverns of time or one Reforged has.

About Reforged designs again.....main idiocy of the design is that they claim to go for realistic proportions but it only applies to their bodies, and only on human characters, while armour and weapons got more oversized when in wc3 they were actually mostly realisticly shaped and sized. Which makes them look stupid like all these idiotic chinese Idle Heroes or Mobile mmo rip offs where you get these ridiculous "lvl 69, lvl 99" "armours" with gigantic wings, spikes, some gases irradiating off them and levitating pieces while still having tons of nudity in there which is just anti realistic in every way and just looks stupid and is visually noisy. Its just to be as loud and "kewl" as possible so people who are like children getting excited about this pay. Its more exaggerated than even WoW.

And again.. about buildings/ doodads in wc3hd there are only handfull, stone walls, lordaeron trees, a gate, human watchtower(with all the upgrades)tavern and neutral market(which has few doodads like treasure piles stuff) and they look gorgeous as they should unlike few minor issues with other models(weird and a bit inaccurate faces, or ugly infernals) Watch tower has even stuff from building animations which was redone perfectly down to a T and its just perfect. While reforged has incredibly ugly and noisy buildings with unesseary detail and forcing stupid iron on orcish buildings from Cataclysm wow from "garrosh era". Its like who ever was in charge of it and that stupid infernal from intro/prophecy remake cant stand bit of normal looking wall or grate and everything has to be overflowing with unessesary shit just for sake of it.

It already made grubby and other pro's who play wc3 competitively in melee dislike it severly because even in static screenshots it causes chaos and requires unessesary time spent of figuring out wth is going on and what is what, not to mention it in motion. It will make all of them play on Classic just because it has units with very defined and unique animations and styling which helps them stand out, Reforged negates all this together with animations in name....of noisy and unfaithful mess.

Also lots of stuff looks just outright worse....tiles and tree doodads on screenshots we got so far look horrible. Also that variation of dead tree from western plaguelands that is all over the place on them is stupid and out of place. they look bad when bunched up. TIles.......blurry and ugly, bland..... magicly less detailed than Wc3 ones which were relativly low res............i have no words..... Wc3 ones have clearly defines depth for pits of dirt in grass, and grass has shadows in it adding more to definition and detail....reforged doesnt have it at all and it all looks super bland, blurry and undefined..... How.........at this rate they just should upscale the textures of original wc3 with waifu2x and call it a day while having much better results.

And to be honest, Wc3 classic should get such light remaster to make it as good as it can be on its own with textures upscaled and fixed(like i do for my own map and model edits) to 512x512 at minimum which would be a gigantic improvement for many because 128x256 sizes and even some 64x64 textures for doodads and units are common, for lower res elements it should be just used from related material so for things like far seer's wolf ....any other wolf in wc3, other things like building elements or axes or blades also are shared between textures with some having it in higher quality(they are bigger on these) unused original high res textures like on for griphon rider should be reinstated plus lots of fixes to wrapping on all models that have some badly wrapped parts(like jaina, griphon rider and others). With this Wc3 Classic would look as it should and was intended. And then.... a faithful remake could follow making stuff more realistic but in same way Wc3hd did, so same animations, details but with realistic proportions on everything like my sketches(i have more in works not just that Jaina one i did)

Instead wc3 is left in its current state while remake is going against all it was in every way, except for mechanics, and wc3 is laughed at and shown at its worst at blizzcon and original artists mocked by team leaders on the dev panel......."This is how they "ART"-ed back in the day".......ofcourse followed by removal of all traces of these people's work by complete and disrespectful remake, removal of all their eastereggs and references. Its just sad.....when i know you could do better.......because.......You did........few years ago.....with Starcraft 1 and asset pack for Starcraft 2......its just sad..... especially since it will replace warcraft III.....

I still seen dosens upon dosens of new people coming in long before you even though about announcing this on blizzcon, for years people in early teens were coming in to play customs, my map and others, probably brough in by their friends and older siblings, we never were dying.....Community kept this game alive and kept it growing, Wc3 customs gave life to new game genres....not just Moba, who's the killer/monster games, tower defences, hardcore dungeon crawlers Stuff that is just recently being made into standalone games, years after it was created and popularized in Warcraft III. I know that reforged will bring more fresh blood into the community, i am not arguing that.....i am arguing execution and approach that was taken towards remaking of this game...which is complete opposite of what was done with Starcraft 1.......

Its not pink tinked glasses case, its not antiquated game that had to be forcefully remade because of how badly it was made blocked by severe limitations of the time it was made at.....it came from the time when these limitations finally werent a thing, just after that, and made in a way that kept it as good as it is, both thanks to how solid it was, how well made it was, of it's artstyle, incredibly solid Editor which is both powerful and really easy to use....was also forgotten later in Sc2 with its editor being more like Unity or Unreal engine editors. It was much better than editor for Warcraft 2 which allowed for pretty much nothing and slightly better editor from Sc1. It had modern quality audio and design solid menues and UI which werent antiquated like Sc1 and Warcraft 1/2 are. And yet it gets treated like it is.....and unlike actually audio-visually antiquated game like Sc1.

Obviously it has few fields where it could be improved, smooth and limitless raise and lower terrain, brushed tilework(which also should be uncapped), few minor improvements to object editor and other limitations in world editor i was talking about not related to coding languages......and thats it......pretty much what WoW had since 2001-4 in its alphas already while in earliest versions running on Wc3's engine when it was modified. This should be something that is a focus updates to the engine, instead of taking away everything that makes warcraf III from Warcraft III for next generations which will not bother to play classic at all. While Starcraft 1 gets played and seen they way it was intenden to look but in better fidelity at the same time...............why.....

Last edited:
Level 3
I tried to find some alternate ways for jaina face

I actually do like your work on Jaina's face. Even though I do dislike your vision of Arthas (as I noted on the forums).

It already made grubby and other pro's who play wc3 competitively in melee dislike it severly because even in static screenshots it causes chaos and requires unessesary time spent of figuring out wth is going on and what is what, not to mention it in motion. It will make all of them play on Classic just because it has units with very defined and unique animations and styling which helps them stand out, Reforged negates all this together with animations in name....of noisy and unfaithful mess.

Also lots of stuff looks just outright worse....tiles and tree doodads on screenshots we got so far look horrible.

The environments were said to have been unfinished. A lot of folks on the forums admitted that they do look cartoony and out of place next to the hyper-realistic unit models (although others were calling the new models cartoony, weirdly enouh).

asset pack for Starcraft 2......

In my opinion, that asset pack is too low-poly to warrant a WC3 remaster.

its just sad..... especially since it will replace warcraft III.....

But it won't? Because everyone can always scale back to the SD?

Just a note - from what I saw on WGL, Moon doesn't even use the new widescreen resolution (with dead spaces in the bottom left and right corners) preferring what seems to me like the 1.26 widescreen. A lot of BW pros too stay on the pre-SCR graphics. What I'm saying is that I wouldn't be surprised in the least if pros used the SD.

And that's it ladies and gentlemen we now have got the KingOmelette representative in the full mode here in Hive! Cut sentences in half to make some invalid arguments and deny stuff you have said a post before!

the thing is, he's worse than omlette...

I do not know why but I already suspected that it was KingOmelette or one of his acolytes...

Apparently different persons:

Guys. I am trying to be on topic and argue in good faith and in the name of materialism and logic, whereas you are not addressing any of my points, opting instead just to... name call me? Because I'm going against the hive mind? Shouldn't you be thankful to me instead for bringing you a new perspective? Unironically.

You are literally like a band of anti-bodies ganging up on a virus, or a band of homosexuals surrounding the only straight man in an American town. You aren't even responding to me... That's silly.

I am talking in the name of a search for the truth and good conversation. But you seem like what certain folks call... identity politics, right? Just deaf to any arguments? Because of that omelette sigil I proudly wear on my tabard (alright, that's cringy, and I know it)?

deathglare-jpg.326520

You saw it? Good. Now look at that!

2-jpg.326521

It's visible, isn't it? The black tears. Now it can be like a skin for the archer, but I'm skeptical to why they'd put a skin, and not the original one here. So I guess it's a Kaldorei Dark ranger Skin for the archer!
Kam already said it is Dark Ranger and it's removed from the website, though I'lld never expect a common Dark Ranger to be a Night Elf

Level 7
You first said this:

Those SC2 assets look horrible. [...] Both the ugly SC2 assets and that ugly fan mode Armies of Azeroth.

And then you say this:

I am trying to be on topic and argue in good faith and in the name of materialism and logic

I am talking in the name of a search for the truth and good conversation.

So how do you explain your attitude during your first messages? Something is failing here because your supposed intentions are different from your actions...

Level 14
I think it is probably better we ignore the troll, or more things will come to a point where we cannot stop
Yeah he never even seen Sc2 wc3hd models.....tho at the same time its quitr hard without having sc2 because people foegot about them and only youtube coverage is horrible and low res. I cam provide the pictures for everything tho. They are not low poly. They only lack separated fingers in some models which dont need it....plus its for rts game so you know....kind of pointless especially since sc2 has separate cinematic models for cutscenes itself

Level 7
Yeah he never even seen Sc2 wc3hd models.....tho at the same time its quitr hard without having sc2 because people foegot about them and only youtube coverage is horrible and low res. I cam provide the pictures for everything tho. They are not low poly. They only lack separated fingers in some models which dont need it....plus its for rts game so you know....kind of pointless especially since sc2 has separate cinematic models for cutscenes itself

This is very true, as you say for example I do not have Starcraft II and, when they released these assets in HD (and a long time later) it was almost impossible to see the models.

I remember that there were only a couple of examples of undead heroes, night elves and some fanmade video that was shown to Sylvanas, Samuro, Medivh, Tyrande... I also remember watching gameplay of a map for the Arcade where you can controll a Blademaster and it looked fancy.

The assets really went unnoticed...

Level 8
Sc2 wc3hd models are most war3 original models,exclude heroes and burning legion units,they are not beautiful.I think the AOA mod models are better,It's real remake of Warcraft3.

Last edited:
Level 14
What about the ogre size shoulder pads?
I will take care of it. Arthas is next sketch i will do. Then Uther amd Thrall. After that i will work on the models using my sketches as 1:1 reference(thats why jaina one is in A pose, i will make some posed sketch of her later if i have time). Thrall will be like my avatar/Wc3 desktop icon/ingame model and hero icon, 2002 pre-release figurine which i bought and shipped from USA. I ingore cover art and cinematic versions because they are both ugly and inconsistent woth how Thrall is meant to look. For Arthas ingame icon, cinematic and cover art woth his faint facial hair. Uther will be relatively easy pretty much like wc3hd paladin but with his wc3 face and armour being brass/golden plated of course.

Level 3
So how do you explain your attitude during your first messages? Something is failing here because your supposed intentions are different from your actions...

How do you explain people literally telling others to ignore me, calling me names? Cite any moment where I behaved disrespectfully or did not explain my point?

I think it is probably better we ignore the troll, or more things will come to a point where we cannot stop

I have tried to talk to you on Discord 1on1. You said you had no problems with me. Lmao. Can't even talk like a real man.

The SC2 models are decent for what they are worth (this trailer is actually epic), but I had always had this nagging thought in my head, "What's the point?". It does not look ground-breaking enough. Reforged does.

By the way, I have always found the Keeper and the Archmage looking like plastic toys, too round. And the Tauren Chieftain's face is too young.

Are you basing this on the skin colour of the Dark Ranger unit in question? I'm still not sure what it should be, white, blueish, purplish?

I think the AOA mod models are better,It's real remake of Warcraft3.

But will it be of any use after Reforged hits?

Level 7
How do you explain people literally telling others to ignore me, calling me names? Cite any moment where I behaved disrespectfully or did not explain my point?

You still don't answer my question, the first one who began to give an opinion in an aggressive and disrespectful way is you dude, throwing away the work of others with these phrases, I remind you again:

"Those SC2 assets look horrible. That is what I expected a WC3 remake to be before I saw Reforged. That's why I never wanted a WC3 remake before I saw Reforged. Reforged blows it out of the water. Both the ugly SC2 assets and that ugly fan mode Armies of Azeroth."

I think it's perfect that you expect something more from the Starcraft II assets or that you think WAA models are too conservative for your taste, nobody tells you that you can not say what you want; but come here in such a mean way to despise the others work? It seems disrespectful to me.

Whether you like it or not in the case of the assets of Starcraft II are a slight updated upgrade of the Warcraft III classics and, in the case of WAA models, are models that carry a lot of work behind, without reimagining or strange experiments such as that we have seen in Reforged... but you're looking for a "ground-breaking look"... of course...

And the Tauren Chieftain's face is too young.

Ok, now I see it clearly, you like this face more:

WC302.jpg

than this:

WC301.jpg

You still don't answer my question, the first one who began to give an opinion in an aggressive and disrespectful way is you dude, throwing away the work of others with these phrases, I remind you again:

"Those SC2 assets look horrible. That is what I expected a WC3 remake to be before I saw Reforged. That's why I never wanted a WC3 remake before I saw Reforged. Reforged blows it out of the water. Both the ugly SC2 assets and that ugly fan mode Armies of Azeroth."

I think it's perfect that you expect something more from the Starcraft II assets or that you think WAA models are too conservative for your taste, nobody tells you that you can not say what you want; but come here in such a mean way to despise the others work? It seems disrespectful to me.

Whether you like it or not in the case of the assets of Starcraft II are a slight updated upgrade of the Warcraft III classics and, in the case of WAA models, are models that carry a lot of work behind, without reimagining or strange experiments such as that we have seen in Reforged... but you're looking for a "ground-breaking look"... of course...

Ok, now I see it clearly, you like this face more:

View attachment 326580

than this:

View attachment 326579

A question comes to my mind: What would community think if we(WAA) were to throw that 'style' of Reforged and shown Footman as 'first model of fan made Warcraft III Remake' what would people think, would it be welcomed more or ignored, I personally think the latter

Level 7
A question comes to my mind: What would community think if we(WAA) were to throw that 'style' of Reforged and shown Footman as 'first model of fan made Warcraft III Remake' what would people think, would it be welcomed more or ignored, I personally think the latter

Surely they would have hanged you :oops:

Level 8
Waa is still alive?I visited their vk last week,I want to check the campaign remake progress,but the website is disappear.

Level 14
its more because of how defensive you are of Reforged and what they do with it that gets most people here so
By the way, I have always found the Keeper and the Archmage looking like plastic toys, too round. And the Tauren Chieftain's face is too young.
That's why i said with tweaks, its within my original criticism of these models, some are quite far off, but most are really well done. Demon Hunter, infernals and Dread lords arent the best either. And orich heroes faces could be far better and faithful to original ones, but all of this is within tweaks i mentioned. Overall stylem animations and texture work are very good, and buildings/doodads that are included are great.

Are you basing this on the skin colour of the Dark Ranger unit in question? I'm still not sure what it should be, white, blueish, purplish?
Pale blue/blue, with red eye glow

Level 14
Example of how all assets should be remade in terms of buildings at very least is how they were done for Wc3hd, only 3 buildings were made but it is enough to show how to make it well.
First original model:
MarketplaceOriginal.png

And Wc3HD remake in Starcraft 2:
MarketplaceHD.png

And here is the Human Scout tower and its contruction:
Original:
ScoutTowerOriginal.png

War3HD from Sc2 Scout Tower:
ScoutTowerHD.png

and Contruction, Original:
ScoutTowerOriginalcontruction.png

War3HD:
ScoutTowerHDcontruction.png

That's how it should be done...

Level 14
And that word 'reimagining' makes me go away from it more and more and work on stuff myself cause more will get 'reimagined'...
Its lazy throw away word nowadays, i heard it so many times with shitty movie reboots and alike productions that it's sounding negative at this point, and is a bad sign right away. Only good application of it was with Resident Evil II remake which is one of few great remakes that did change stuff for the better while keeping the vibe, but in this case also RE2 was a 3d ps1 game so its very antiquated audiovisually.

Level 10
So If there are any experienced modelers in this thread I wanted to ask - do you think "simple" model edits will still be possible on HD assets? Like now I can take a unit, import a head geoset from another one and glue it. Then import animations, wrap some different texture and I have a brand new model with realtively little effort. I can do that with Magos, mdlvis and Matrix Eater without the need of heavy weight 3D modeling software. Would you say this still will be viable? Or will the effort and knowledge required increase dramaticaly?

So If there are any experienced modelers in this thread I wanted to ask - do you think "simple" model edits will still be possible on HD assets? Like now I can take a unit, import a head geoset from another one and glue it. Then import animations, wrap some different texture and I have a brand new model with realtively little effort. I can do that with Magos, mdlvis and Matrix Eater without the need of heavy weight 3D modeling software. Would you say this still will be viable? Or will the effort and knowledge required increase dramaticaly?

It can be done but model format will be changed so tools have to be upgraded or you need to first convert new format back to mdx,edit and then convert it back, but changing a head or weapon will still not be a big problem

Level 14
Depends if format changes to blizzards .m3 one.....if it does then simple edits for less experienced people are thing of the past because it will require learning 3ds max and or Blender and converting the models there and back in. Unless Retera will work extra to make .m3 version of the matrix eater but it may not be so easy because m3 isnt like mdx. Maybe some built in coverter like neodex could help but its still adds to complexity and will cause loss of some effects, animations and rigging may partially corrupt and so on. For sake of makong it easy for all people and not limiting model edits and such to just more advamced modders it would be best if format stays the same. But then Blizzard said they will release tools to work on the models so we may get something as a code base to work off if format is changed. In the past what we got was mediocre and locked to single version of 3ds max so it was kind of shit, but we got tools made from this for more versions like neodex. So in the end i dunno if it answears your question exacly but in short it may lock out newbies severly or only slightly depending on the tools if format is different or not at all if it is the same as now

Last edited:
Level 14
Thanks guys. I hope that modders will come up with some tools that will be able edit new formats the same as mdx. I would greatly miss being able to do these quick edits
That's why they should try their best to keep it in mind. Officially released tools are mostly useless for such stuff, they usually only serve as basis for community made ones later that are much better. I doubt it will really change, all tools we always had for most blizzard games are community made, Blizzard artists always work on 3DS max so, only thing we got was version bound converter/import-export tool with some game specific effect support.
Addition of these metallic effects and other stuff may cause issues tho....magos wont handle this neither will mdlvis, so simple model rewrapping and vertex editing may be done for if they do it wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.