• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft III Reforged - Artistic/Textures/UI Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 23
Hope they decide to make the aura/buff/debuff icons on units go horizontally across the portrait of units, rather than vertically.

upload_2019-3-9_19-4-3.png

upload_2019-3-9_19-4-45.png

Even in normal ladder games, there can easily be 4-5 + aura/debuff/buff icons. In custom maps, it can go a lot higher. If they choose to keep it vertically, it will either go above the portrait height, or they will start to re-stack it to the left side, which will cover too much of the portrait. If they choose to have them show horizontally (bottom of the portrait), I feel it would be better.

In the normal warcraft 3 version, it is not even shown on portrait, but is shown on the hero bar place.

Level 7
Hope they decide to make the aura/buff/debuff icons on units go horizontally across the portrait of units, rather than vertically.

Even in normal ladder games, there can easily be 4-5 + aura/debuff/buff icons. In custom maps, it can go a lot higher. If they choose to keep it vertically, it will either go above the portrait height, or they will start to re-stack it to the left side, which will cover too much of the portrait. If they choose to have them show horizontally (bottom of the portrait), I feel it would be better.

In the normal warcraft 3 version, it is not even shown on portrait, but is shown on the hero bar place.

I think they'll go to the horizontal Status bar again because I saw an image of an "improved" UI of the Reforged version that was totally different from the gameplay of the Culling of Stratholme (which I don't like at all).

In the image there are strange things, like the minimap is the preview of what you see in the menu or the damage of the Footman is 38-48... but still...

full

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
I think they'll go to the horizontal Status bar again because I saw an image of an "improved" UI of the Reforged version that was totally different from the gameplay of the Culling of Stratholme (which I don't like at all).

In the image there are strange things, like the minimap is the preview of what you see in the menu or the damage of the Footman is 38-48... but still...
Are you sure that one isn't actually before the UI in Culling?
Also, it looks fake since there are no units on the minimap. It's a map preview instead.

StarCraft II has them vertically but the UI is bigger or the buff icons are smaller and they're placed right to the left of where the attack and armour is on Reforged.

What about something like this?
ReforgeUIBuffs.png

Last edited:
Level 7
Are you sure that one isn't actually before the UI in Culling?
Also, it looks fake since there are no units on the minimap. It's a map preview instead.

StarCraft II has them vertically but the UI is bigger or the buff icons are smaller and they're placed right to the left of where the attack and armour is on Reforged.

What about something like this?
View attachment 318035

Clearly I can not be sure, it's just a guess. Maybe we will have a remastered version of the classic UI and a new modular UI (I think they said something like that in an interview).

Yes, I commented that the minimap looked strange as well as the portrait of the Footman. For example the "remastered" icon of the type of attack and armor of the Footman has not been seen in any other image or gameplay, except in this image, but I do not know why it would have to be fake:

The screen capture is from this video (minute 1:53):

In this picture you can compare the supposed "remastered" version of the Warcraft 3 UI with the version shown in the Culling. The dragons of the in-game clock are more defined in the "remastered" than in the Culling, the style of the bricks is totally different too.

WC3RUIvsCullingUI.png

Level 14
merge_from_ofoct.jpg

I asked someone that never touched Warcraft III to pick one and they choose the left one, that should tell you something.
Truly, The right one nails the cheap mobile copied-art feel.

I know they have been slightly updated in the culling map (adding gold color basically) but overall the 2D art we have seen so far is lackluster and cheap compared to the original.

Level 11
View attachment 318039
I asked someone that never touched Warcraft III to pick one and they choose the left one, that should tell you something.

I know they have been slightly updated in the culling map (adding gold color basically) but overall the 2D art we have seen so far is lackluster and cheap compared to the original.
I feel the same about these icons, though I'm not sure why. Maybe because they seem colourless compared to the old ones, or because the handles of the swords are even bigger that the original ones, whose size was already exaggerated. Like most of Reforged art style, they exaggerated what already was exaggerated, at least in my opinion.

Edit: I also asked someone about these two sets of icons, she said they were pretty close but she prefered the left one too.

Reactions: Rui
View attachment 318039

I know why, everyone pick up left picture including me (who suffer to see "HD" things). Ill tell the reason whats wrong

1.Icon signs are enlarged
2.They are monotone, no color contrast.Example shield,its basically in similar range of colors
3.Those signs tried attend to be "realistic art"
4.They arent simple, and they arent recognizable fast

So what we need is :

1.Regular wc3 size of signs inside icon bar
2.Need a distinguish color contrast from certain parts (not talking about regular contrast HDR or PBR effect)
For example "attack" icon in wc3 literally has color contrast - golden/bronze color for stick,and blade is silver.
Reforged one doesnt have color contrast cause they went washed out color for stick which aint enough to give an accent to a blade=final result is monothony which lead to unnrecognision
3.Icons should be sketchy,handpainted
4.They should be simple without spamming super details-art so they can be recognized easy

Now,we all agree while providing feedback that we arent bitching around attacking Reforged and defending classic wc3 by any cost.

We all want reamstered icons , in all glory they could be done for Reforged :D

Last edited:
Level 11
I don't see why the icons need to change at all. The original ones are perfectly fine and it's not like they look old or outdated or anything.
It's pretty much a waste of time and resources to "reforge" them.
Yeah, exactly, graphical enhancement=/=redrawing 2D good quality icons.
I agree with you guys. Icons are already quite good.
The only thing that could have been done with icons is to provide a high-resolution version of them, if it exists.

Reactions: Rui
Level 11
Or recycle some from WoW since Reforged is WoW inclined.
Why not, provided that the icons remain recognisable and close enough to their original counterparts.
Another thing that bugs me about new icons is that some of them are much different from the current version. For example, in the Culling of Stratholme, Divine Shield and Resurrection icons have totally different art styles. It's been 20 years with the current icons, and changing them to much might be annoying at first if they are not recognisable.
(Besides, giving paladins yellow icons only is a lack of imagination)

Level 7
View attachment 318039

I know why, everyone pick up left picture including me (who suffer to see "HD" things). Ill tell the reason whats wrong

1.Icon signs are enlarged
2.They are monotone, no color contrast.Example shield,its basically in similar range of colors
3.Those signs tried attend to be "realistic art"
4.They arent simple, and they arent recognizable fast

So what we need is :

1.Regular wc3 size of signs inside icon bar
2.Need a distinguish color contrast from certain parts (not talking about regular contrast HDR or PBR effect)
For example "attack" icon in wc3 literally has color contrast - golden/bronze color for stick,and blade is silver.
Reforged one doesnt have color contrast cause they went washed out color for stick which aint enough to give an accent to a blade=final result is monothony which lead to unnrecognision
3.Icons should be sketchy,handpainted
4.They should be simple without spamming super details-art so they can be recognized easy

Now,we all agree while providing feedback that we arent bitching around attacking Reforged and defending classic wc3 by any cost.

We all want reamstered icons , in all glory they could be done for Reforged :D

I don't see why the icons need to change at all. The original ones are perfectly fine and it's not like they look old or outdated or anything.

Yeah, exactly, graphical enhancement=/=redrawing 2D good quality icons.

I agree with you guys. Icons are already quite good.
The only thing that could have been done with icons is to provide a high-resolution version of them, if it exists.

I think the best example of what you say is what they have done with the "Magic Sentry" or "Holy Light" icon.

Most likely, they should respect the soul of the original icons and give them a more "new" look

WC3RHolyLight.png

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
(Besides, giving paladins yellow icons only is a lack of imagination)
I agree.
Most likely, they should respect the soul of the original icons and give them a more "new" look
Looks as if the one on the right has no depth, not that light has depth but perception and relativity creates that.

So, this is how Holy Light looks in WoW...
spell_holy_surgeoflight.jpg

Divine Shield:
spell_holy_divineshield.jpg

Devotion Aura:
spell_holy_devotionaura.jpg

So... as you can see, what I wrote about them recycling WoW icons just became obsolete.

Last edited:
Hey guys excuse me they are already remastering icons!
"No need for new icons,old are already good" is awfull statement !
Face the reality its happening,provide a feedback and do your job.
Maybe someone else is wanting remastering of icons,cause you know what you can ALWAYS use old, so no need to ban and cut desires of other people,it is so so selfish.

Level 11
Hey guys excuse me they are already remastering icons, "no need for new icons,old are already good".
Maybe someone else is wanting remastering of icons,cause you know what you can ALWAYS use old, so no need to steal desires of other people,it is so so selfish.
We are not stealing anything from anyone, we are providing feedback and we try to do it in a way as constructive as possible. Surely you didn't expect us to provide only positive feedback?

Yeah, all the original 3D art is severely limited by the limitations of 2003 computers, plus some 2D art like the UI which could be higher resolution now. But most 2D art like icons had no limitations even back then, because they're just simple, small images of 64x64px, so anything new is just different for the sake of being different rather than to increase quality, which IMO is a mistake and a waste of time.

Although maybe the original 2D art is compressed in a way that loses more quality than it would today, which is only a problem if they no longer have the original files, I dunno.

Keeping the original icons intact would, IMO, go a long way in making Reforged feel and look like it's still WC3.

Hey guys excuse me they are already remastering icons!
"No need for new icons,old are already good" is awfull statement !
Maybe someone else is wanting remastering of icons,cause you know what you can ALWAYS use old, so no need to ban and cut desires of other people,it is so so selfish.

We are just sharing our opinions with anyone that is reading this thread. We aren't taking anything away from anyone.

Its not waste of time at all, they are remastering the game, for which you and hundreds of thousand of people will pay ,but blizz will earn money.
You feel sorry for them ?

If community with all its passion can do it, why professional artists can not do it proper way ?
Are you afraid of them not being capable of doing it - well tell it straight,cause its totaly legitimate question that i asked my self too.

Just look at community and tell me Reforged studio cant do it BETTER THAN US!

sQLYVRm.png

Level 11
Its not waste of time at all, they are remastering the game, for which you and hundreds of thousand of people will pay ,but blizz will earn money.
Of course Blizzard will make money out of the game anyway, but that's not the point. These resources could have been allocated to some other aspect of the game, which would benefit the players even more than some icons.

Wow, those are actually great. They have depth.

Theres more..But we should just stop feeling sorry for blizz, so they dont work too much...
If we as amateurs in free time with passion can do it , comon they should do it better than us...

There is no logical sense and point to mod the game tommorow just because they did it wrong.
(that is already being Reforged/"Remastered" by official company with professional artists)

They just have to do it better or equal to our standars its a common sense for Petes sake

Is this studio capable of doing so is totally another question where i wont get into, but maybe what worries some people?I rly dont know,probably and maybe not

Sieben = ya, worry more about them and organise them please :)
Can you please answer why you say such a things for a company ?

1. Cause classic team got low funds to remaster a game . so they will remaster everything but save money and ARTISTS on ICONS ?????LOL?
2.Cause outsoursing studio not capable of doing so ?

Level 11
If we as amateurs in free time with passion can do it , comon they should do it better than us...
It's not just a matter of talent or skill, it's about artistic direction and some choices they made. They decided to competely overhaul icons, which is:
  • not 100% necessary and thus a waste of resources (which could have been allocated elsewhere)
  • something that will make us lose the feeling that it's still Warcraft 3

Level 5

If community with all its passion can do it, why professional artists can not do it proper way ?
Are you afraid of them not being capable of doing it - well tell it straight,cause its totaly legitimate question that i asked my self too.

sQLYVRm.png
That Bloodlust icon really brings out the lust in me. :}
Beautiful!

Level 7

sQLYVRm.png

I'm speechless ... They are perfection come true.

Where did they come from? I NEED to see more please.

Level 7
After a little research all the icons come from Heroes of the Storm, there are many, here I compare some examples (in Heroes of the Storm do not have the border as in Warcraft 3).

stormbolt.gif
storm-bolt.png

thunderclap.gif
thunder-clap.png

windwalk.gif
wind-walk.png

mirrorimage.gif
mirror-image.png

whirlwind.gif
bladestorm.png

wallofice.gif
frost-nova.png

frostarmor.gif
armor-of-the-archlich.png

darkritual.gif
master-of-the-cold-dark.png

deathanddecay.gif
death-and-decay.png

carrionbeetles.gif
scarab-host.png

polymorph.gif
polymorph.png

lightningshield.gif
lightning-shield.png

trollregeneration.gif
regeneration.png

ensnare.gif
ensnare-talent.png

flare.gif
flare.png

reignoffire.gif
living-bomb.png

lifedrain.gif
drain-life.png

scout.gif
sentinel.png

Last edited:
Level 7
It is super nice,under which section or name you search them (icons?)
So thisproves it is possible to rmk items..Why not,if moba could do this why not wc3..

I used to play Heroes of the Storm and I found them on this website.

For now we know that it is possible to create an "improved" version of the classic icons.

I'm afraid these icons were created by Blizzard... however, I do not think the Reforged icons get the same treatment as the Heroes of the Storm since they will be created by another studio... We'll see...

Level 7
For example, these three icons are common to Warcraft 3, Reforged and Hots... Which style do you prefer?

In my opinion HotS version of Cloak of Flames and Defend are better than Reforged, however Reforged version of Magic Sentry is better than HotS.

full

Level 11
Here's my opinion:
  • Reforged version of Magic Sentry is the best, but it's the exact same icon as the original one, with higher quality. HotS's version is ok.
  • I really don't like Reforged and HotS versions of the Cloak. HotS version is too far away from what Warcraft usually is like. I'm not fond of Reforged version because of the green halo which is cheap compared to the original one, and because of the green eyes, which are not necessary. I don't like too many visual effects.
  • I prefer the original Defend, but HotS's version is decent. Reforged version is horrible, the shield looks like it came right from Toys "R" Us... It doesn't look so much like a shield and arrows, unless you already know it's Defend and you carefully look at it.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
The problem is that the cloak has flames not the body that wears it too. But I'd go for (from up to down) Reforged, Reforged, HotS.
Of course, now it depends on what the Footman's (model) shield will look like.
Why are they round though?
No idea. I was thinking of it right now too. Different art direction.. I guess. Why not make the borders triangles :D?

1. Reforged eye is rather enlarged than remade, but its fine. Hots eye is fine too
2.Cloak of wc3 is best, Reforged could be better, and hots cloak is bad..
3.Shield of Hots is better than Reforged x5 times,with proper recolor it would be rly appropriate.
Reforged is using footman shield with sign that has nothing to do with footman and probably wc3 ???
And its too much toyish...

AND I JUST PRAY ICONS WONT BE ROUND ! ITS WORST THING EVER !

Level 7
The problem is that the cloak has flames not the body that wears it too. But I'd go for (from up to down) Reforged, Reforged, HotS.
Of course, now it depends on what the Footman's (model) shield will look like.

No idea. I was thinking of it right now too. Different art direction.. I guess. Why not make the borders triangles :D?

1. Reforged eye is rather enlarged than remade, but its fine. Hots eye is fine too
2.Cloak of wc3 is best, Reforged could be better, and hots cloak is bad..
3.Shield of Hots is better than Reforged x5 times,with proper recolor it would be rly appropriate.
Reforged is using footman shield with sign that has nothing to do with footman and probably wc3 ???
And its too much toyish...

AND I JUST PRAY ICONS WONT BE ROUND ! ITS WORST THING EVER !

Dudes, they are not using round icons in game, they just use them in the forums like they used to do on old WoW forums... calm down ;)

wowforumscreenshotold.png

It's not just a matter of talent or skill, it's about artistic direction and some choices they made. They decided to competely overhaul icons, which is:
  • not 100% necessary and thus a waste of resources (which could have been allocated elsewhere)
  • something that will make us lose the feeling that it's still Warcraft 3

To be honest icons should stay as what they were, I think the reason behind Blizzard to remake them is they are trying to 'hide' what Warcraft III used to be so they are changing the icons to their new models look and style because of it people can't say something like 'Hey this icon looks cool but why the model isn't looking like it?' , and well I mean okay they can go and update the icons but it would be for increasing their quality and keeping their old look like hots did (Lich's icons etc are remade to be exact same as 'portraits' for example).

examples:

Death_and_Decay_Portrait.png

Dark_Ritual_Portrait.png

Frost_Armor_Portrait.png

Frost_Nova_Portrait.png

Last edited:
Its nice explanation, i agree with that. I would expand it a bit.

I mean if Reforging models different from original alot with style + imagine how skins would look alike + if they go different icons (not talking about unit icons right now) ,and anims different than wc3,then i am afraid we wont be able to recognize game anymore ?

We will need to play alot of time to get used to it (always remembering how old one looked...).
This can produce a psihologicaleffect that can can cause a great dissatisfaction .

I passed many stages in my purist ego, i must say that i realised that sc2-wc3 assets that look almost 100% same as old wc3 will make you bored after a while....
Still going totally different style than old wc3 can lead to rage. We need some middle, like hd mods tried to do, using different platform art but trying to reach original...
and they can do it x15time better than us.

We need them to hit that old charm, like reforged did with human peasant ICON ?
X2TYCWQ

I saw Reforged icon and model probably use same base,but i cant surely tell is it 1 single same model with
X2TYCWQ.png

a)different angle shoot camera of real model and icon
b)with different processing of real model and icon
c)different anims of wc3 animations on real model...

Cause i want human peasant look same as his icon of Reforged (lets assume his icon is shoot of real model with wc3 anims????)

Anyway, we are fine, i accepted new "pegasus pony casting rainbowspell" philosophy, and i will stick to it alot, trying to stay positive hoping my bolt of positive energy will be shoot in universe and then strike back to dev minds.

We are good, we are fine, we are strong, we are safe, we work with passion, we work hard, we discuss models in caffe bar after shift ends, when we go to town and drink beer together we make lore jokes! And we love this game and we will do it the best we can, and we will listen community voice!
We will bring you the best product you will enjoy in next few years - Your lovely Lemonsky studios.

Last edited:
Level 7
Its nice explanation, i agree with that. I would expand it a bit.

I mean if Reforging models different from original alot with style + imagine how skins would look alike + if they go different icons (not talking about unit icons right now) ,and anims different than wc3,then i am afraid we wont be able to recognize game anymore ?

We will need to play alot of time to get used to it (always remembering how old one looked...).
This can produce a psihologicaleffect that can can cause a great dissatisfaction .

I passed many stages in my purist ego, i must say that i realised that sc2-wc3 assets that look almost 100% same as old wc3 will make you bored after a while....
Still going totally different style than old wc3 can lead to rage. We need some middle, like hd mods tried to do, using different platform art but trying to reach original...
and they can do it x15time better than us.

We need them to hit that old charm, like reforged did with human peasant ICON ?
X2TYCWQ

I saw Reforged icon and model probably use same base,but i cant surely tell is it 1 single same model with
X2TYCWQ.png

a)different angle shoot camera of real model and icon
b)with different processing of real model and icon
c)different anims of wc3 animations on real model...

Cause i want human peasant look same as his icon of Reforged (lets assume his icon is shoot of real model with wc3 anims????)

Anyway, we are fine, i accepted new "pegasus pony casting rainbowspell" philosophy, and i will stick to it alot, trying to stay positive hoping my bolt of positive energy will be shoot in universe and then strike back to dev minds.

We are good, we are fine, we are strong, we are safe, we work with passion, we work hard, we discuss models in caffe bar after shift ends, when we go to town and drink beer together we make lore jokes! And we love this game and we will do it the best we can, and we will listen community voice!
We will bring you the best product you will enjoy in next few years - Your lovely Lemonsky studios.

I agree with you, we need a style that does not stray too far from the original Warcraft. At the moment with the little information we have about the game I'm afraid we can only think that we won't able to recognize the game, I mean: new artistic style, new voices, new dialogs, "new" campaign maps (Culling of Stratholme)... too many drastic changes that do not respect the original game (it's still too soon to say but...).

In my opinion the assets of the Stracraft II were the natural evolution of the classic models of Warcraft III (especially the Heroes, which are more worked than the normal units) and look great...
If everything goes wrong we can import them into the new lighting system of the Reforged, right? :grin:

For example, the Energy Pendant icon was easily recognizable but now it does not respect the original icon and it is also very boring and generic.

1.png
2.png

Another example, I think the icons of the Human buildings capture the essence of the originals although I am not a fan of the blue background brightness (the Blacksmith does not have it, the rest of the buildings yes... wtf?)

3.png
4.png

The point is that there are things that they respect, others that they adapt (with more or less fidelity) and others that are totally separate from the original concept... That's when we have the problem, the conglomeration of good and bad ideas is something that we can not afford.

PD: Another example.

5.jpg

6.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.