1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Reforged Warcraft III Reforged - Artistic/Textures/UI Feedback

Discussion in 'Patch & Reforged Discussion' started by Sieben, Nov 4, 2018.

1. Whisper

Whisper

Resources:
    Resources:
    [Copied from other thread]

Blizzard should take at look how other developers made/are making awesome remasters:
    ex.:
    Crash N. Sane Trilogy (everything is same as in original but made from 0 with higher quality)
    Spyro Reignited Trylogy or MediEvil.

That's how you make remasters IMO.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Everything is just redone in HQ.

For now here's my Wc3R model rating:
    Peasant: 4/5
    Militia: 4/5
    Footman: 1/5
    Rifleman: 5/5
    Knight: 3/5
    Jania: 5/5
    Arthas: 2/5
    Uther: 3/5
    Grunt: 5/5
    Dradlord: 2/5
    Ghoul: 1/5
    Abo: 4/5

2. Blackcat

Blackcat

Resources:
    Resources:
    I like the direction they've taken. It needs some adjusting, I agree. (Like the ghoul doesn't feel like a ghoul) (the footman is too fancy)

But the comparisons you made are really a different kind of beast.

This is a better comparison:

Edit: Or maybe not, since WC3 is more 3D based. AoE:DE is more comparable to SC:R.

3. Whisper

Whisper

Resources:
    Resources:
    My examples are good imo. Cuz they are 3D.
    Models are recreated in HQ. Without changing the design.
    I played new Crash Trilogy.
    That game is great. Missions are identical, all boxes etc. are in the same place just gameplay feels is smothier, models are high-poly. Sounds are same, just recorded from scratch.
    That is really a good example of remastered game.

4. Blackcat

Blackcat

Resources:
    Resources:
    [​IMG]

The old models look really strange. Look at the size of the head and arms. Sadly they kept the size of that hammer..

5. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    They made Arthas too young or effeminate compared to the original game and that concept art. Arthas had that arrogant look. Now he doesn't anymore and makes it look unbelievable to what he becomes and how he acts.

6. Augustus

Augustus

Resources:
    Resources:
    The game needs to look more saturated. I repeat, the realism comes from the models, not from the textures/colors.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also, is it just me or does the remaster have a slight fog effect? Not entirely sure I like that.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2018
  7. Blackcat

Blackcat

Resources:
    Resources:
    I can agree with that. His facial expression and hair should be tweaked. (And please change that hammer a bit ;( )

Yup. The colors need to 'pop' more. Now it looks as if I'm comparing a HDR game to a non-HDR game. The original has way brighter color. Both in the unit models, the buildings and the ground textures. I'm also afraid that we won't be able to differentiate units as easily in Reforged. They should really look at this.

8. Augustus

Augustus

Resources:
    Resources:
    Here is a quick mock-up with more saturation. Maybe don't take it too seriously, but I think it looks more like Warcraft.

[​IMG]

Maybe we should also take into consideration that Blizzard was afraid people would accusing them of making it too much like WoW, so they made the colors darker.

9. Blackcat

Blackcat

Resources:
    Resources:
    Yup. This feels more like Warcraft and is preferable in competitive play.

10. Augustus

Augustus

Resources:
    Resources:
    Hmm, it seems to me like the screenshots all portray different stages of development. I mean, look at this, definitely brighter.

We should also take in mind that because of PBR, materials behave a lot more realistically. This means that the game can look very different during nightime and daytime.

[​IMG]

11. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I prefer clearness though so things could be distinguished.
    Also, @Augustus and @Blackcat enough with the double-multiposting. Write everything in one post. You can copy from one post to another and delete the surplus.
    Those images aren't how the actual HD looks like. They're bad quality.
    Saturation like that might make things blurry. I wouldn't want that because honestly Warcraft III didn't have that on highest video options and resolution.

12. Augustus

Augustus

Resources:
    Resources:
    Like I said, it was just a quick mock-up.

13. Tauer

Tauer

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    I'm not really following your logic here. You say that the problem lies in the models being too realistic, but your suggested fix is more saturation? Saturation has everything to do with the textures and nothing to do with the models. I might be misunderstanding what you're saying.

I do agree that the textures should be more saturated though.

14. Arvell

Arvell

Resources:
    Resources:
    To be honest, I'm definitely loving the direction they are taking this remaster in, but there are a couple of things that could be improved prior to the release.

Characters models:

Contrary to the OP, I'd say that the character models are not cartoony enough. The main reason being that, compared to the original WC3, the characters themselves have much more realistic proportions and thus are harder to read during battles.
    It would be great if Reforged took an even more stylized, painterly approach to its direction.

I think HotS has some great examples of this. Take a look at the hand-painted textures on Arthas, compared to the more detailed, realistic rendering of Reforged. Apart from being more pronounced, it feels much more consistent with WoW's direction too.

[​IMG]

UI:

I like how the HUD seems a lot lighter, however, the exact scale of the elements and positioning might need some further tweaking. I agree that the lack of any background for the character portrait seems weird.

I'm not a fan of a more 3D look of the icons though, which most apparent on the character and hero icons.
    Again, we have this masterfully crafted, established iconography of Warcraft and within it, these 3D faces really stick out.

[​IMG]

15. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    God almighty, @Frotty was right!

JainaReforged.png

Not only that but people are so biased they don't even have common sense.

16. yxq1122

yxq1122

Resources:
    Resources:
    The HD arts may be affected by WOW partially. However, most models such as Jaina Proudmoore, Uther and footman look great.

About models:
    However, I don't like Paladin's haircut and beard. The classic Paladin looks good. The Arthas's shoulder armor and hammer exhibit too much WOW elements. The tauren's weapon, wood, looks awkward. I just prefer the original tauren model.

About UI:
    The classic portait looks great. A frame is needed for the reforged portait. A head portait is enough. Additionally, the insights into unit’s face and expression are also missing.

Edit: Every one focused on the gameplay and HD model things of the reforged. It seems that environment, water and shadow renderings as well as 3D sound effect of the reforged are rarely focused on. Are these graphical things improved and satisfactory?

Edit2: Compared with the HD models of units, I noticed that little graphical improvements on the destructables, trees and doodads have been done in the demo reforged game (see the cutting video). Have those models been well reforged? I just concern there will be too much difference between the characters and surrounding environment on graphical details.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
  17. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    A thing I don't like is that some portraits are seen from a distance compared to others where you only get to see the head which is what should be seen with its expressions and all that.

18. Mr.Pro

Mr.Pro

Resources:
    Resources:
    I would like some ability with two cast points, something like you fix one point and use the second one to fix its direction, like Viktor Laser on league, it would expand our imagination

19. Whisper

Whisper

Resources:
    Resources:
    Here's my comparision.
    As you can see Blademaster (Heroes models in general) is too small. And where is the glow that every hero had? It was good...

[​IMG]

20. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    You people are way too irascible. If you'd take the time to watch the Reforged Culling of Stratholme gameplay video and inform yourself a bit beforehand you'd realize some of these questions will have their answer as: Reforged is still in development.