• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft III - Patch 1.30.2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Now that hostsbots are no longer a thing in Warcraft III. LAN is just a useless option when you have Battle.net. The only thing that LAN offers is to the banned cd-keys owners to play games using 3rd party platforms like ent connect or garena nothing else.

This is not true.

First of all, what is the link between hostbots and LAN?
Hostbots were hosting on Battle.Net.
Even if you were to remove the LAN option now, "3rd party platforms" as you call them will be using previous build clients where the LAN functionality was still present.
We cannot go back in time to remove functionalities that were present in previous build clients.

Second, it's not because you play on LAN that you are necessarily a hacker with a banned CD-key.
There are still a lot of internet cafés who mostly all play on LAN.
Internet cafés are still being considerably used in South America, Europe, Middle East, and Asia where not everybody has access to internet at their homes.

Level 28
After I updated my version to 1.30.2. Battle.net is now grayed out and the game keeps crashing after a few seconds later saying that : my CD-Key is invalid? However, this crash doesn't happen if I click on the "Solo" button before I get this CD-Key error. Apparently, It crashes only if I stay on the Main Menu of the game for a brief time. Does anyone else experiencing the same issue?

Level 3
Now that hostsbots are no longer a thing in Warcraft III. LAN is just a useless option when you have Battle.net. The only thing that LAN offers is to the banned cd-keys owners to play games using 3rd party platforms like ent connect or garena nothing else.

If you don't use a feature of the game it doesn't make to be useless, it allows:

1.- Play offline maps that have disabled the single-player option, a lot of anti single-player systems detects only the mode because the cheats.
2.- Play with friends in local, I don't like to be forced to have the last version of the game to play with them, moreover if this version it's not stable.
3.- I like to comfy play or farm in some rpgs, a lot of them have respawn time for bosses or units, I can do another things while waiting for respawn time or grinding, in single-player mode the game stops.
4.- Without counting the hostbots, Gameranger, garena and problably a lot more of places that I don't know where a lot of people play use that function, having banned CD-keys or not.

Imagine the hypothetical case blizzard goes bankrupt and have to shut down servers, bam!, you can't play never again with someone. It's a very unlikely scenario right now but it could happen in the future, you never know.

So it's not useless and I hope it stays forever.

Level 9
I played twice in this new version of Warcraft 3. And I saw that there were many lobbys created, even I think more than when had bot recently. New custom games, I've seen more a few different custom games compared to when had bots this variation was less.

Speed to download the maps at least I played, was excellent.
Information latency, who is the host, etc is good.

This patch does not include all that was good about bots. But for me, that's good. In the future I wish more good features than bots had.

Nice patch.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
Except, when your internet connection goes down, or when you are on a trip with your notebook.

Please do not design the game for the ugandan players. Unstable internet is rare, the most popular games are internet based. Just check twitch which is a pretty decent indicator.
Also, the trains in Sweden has wifi and I have played both runescape and hearthstone on my phone without issues.
Sure, I would not go into a ranked game since it is not amazing internet. But it is more than enough to log into battle.net and fire up the world editor.

You can even your phone as a hotspot and connect that way.

Level 10
On the other hand, there are occasions where playing offline is even in more developed countrues very usefull. For example when i moved into my last flat i had no internet for a month since my provider couldn't send out a technician in time (there is a fucked up monolopoly considering internet providers in germany, and their service in some towns shows that).
On the other hand, when you got a bunch of PC's in a flat playing over LAN is still more convenient. Its far rarer than say 5 years ago, but still a delight at times.
So an offline/LAN mode would still be highly appreciated.
I mean Steam got it, but on the other hand steam is one of the most liberal launcher for both developer and players on the market.

Level 11
Please do not design the game for the ugandan players. Unstable internet is rare, the most popular games are internet based. Just check twitch which is a pretty decent indicator.
Also, the trains in Sweden has wifi and I have played both runescape and hearthstone on my phone without issues.
Sure, I would not go into a ranked game since it is not amazing internet. But it is more than enough to log into battle.net and fire up the world editor.

You can even your phone as a hotspot and connect that way.
Let's not assume that all countries are like Sweden. Warcraft III is played all around the globe, and you can't be certain internet is reliable in every countries. Even in France, internet is not top notch everywhere and everytime, and not everyone can afford a decent internet connection or a smartphone.
In any case, I really don't see the necessity to force players to play on battle.net when using offline features.

~El

Level 17
I think it's pretty silly to get upset over people not wanting a feature removed. What purpose does removing LAN serve, even? It was a feature of the game at launch, an intended feature, and seeing it suddenly break is not a good sign, and definitely not a good enough reason to remove it altogether.

There are reasons beyond "crappy internet" to have LAN as a feature:

1) LAN parties. If I just want to hang out with my pals and play warcraft on a local network, why shouldn't I be able to do so anymore? B.Net, especially nowadays, introduces a lot of extra overhead - you are basically at the mercy of Blizzard and their proxy servers. Even in good conditions, you are likely to have at least 50-100 ms ping on a local network, using B.Net, because all the traffic is routed through Blizzard's proxy servers for their implementation of port-less hosting. Why do I need that overhead, if all my pals are literally on the same network as I am? What if there are problems with B.Net, as there are now? What if, ten years down the line, Blizzard decides they are bored with Warcraft 3 and finally shut down all the servers? Having LAN as an option ensures the longevity of the game, even after support for it ends completely. Let's not debate whether or not that will happen, having LAN as a working option literally has no drawbacks vs not having it.

2) Local testing with multiple sessions. This was a big deal for me when I was working on some libraries that were prone to causing desyncs if mishandled, and identifying sources of desync. My setup was to use several VMs all running Warcraft 3 at once, and connecting to a single lobby through LAN. In the absence of being able to launch multiple clients otherwise, this was the only option I had - and it still is. If LAN goes away, it means I (and for that matter, anyone else using similar methods) cannot test for desyncs anymore without having to find people to bug-test with me (which can be tedious, requires a dedication from another person, not to mention that B.Net itself is still unstable).

3) What is the freaking point in removing it anyway? It worked fine before, why shouldn't it work nowadays? It was an expected feature, and still is, for many people. If we start removing features that few people use, where do we draw the line? Should we break old maps, that nobody plays anymore? Should we remove the campaign, because everyone has already completed it and doesn't play it? Should we remove B.Net clans because other methods of organizing and communication have superseded them in the modern era? These are far-fetched examples, but they all stem from the same rationale. Drawing the line at LAN but no further seems rather arbitrary to me.

pyf

pyf

Level 32

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
Then use your phone as a hotspot, leech from a free wifi. (Unless the entire city is without internet)
If there is a will there is a way.

By the way, I do not want LAN removed.
The reason I argue is because there was a mention of the game requiring internet to start, as in initial authentication.
And I think the "I have a shitty internet plz don't do this" complaint was BS since you need internet for 1 second for the inital login and then you're done.

As long as you've logged in once on your battle.net launcher you can start the SC2 editor from the launcher even if you are currently offline. To my knowledge, the editor does not shut down if you DC.
Other games can be launched too though the game brings you to its specific login instead since they are internet based.

edit: made sure to test it.

I can open the editor without internet, but I cannot play the game. So I guess modding should be viable offline.

Last edited:

~El

Level 17
Then use your phone as a hotspot, leech from a free wifi. (Unless the entire city is without internet)
If there is a will there is a way.

By the way, I do not want LAN removed.
The reason I argue is because there was a mention of the game requiring internet to start, as in initial authentication.
And I think the "I have a shitty internet plz don't do this" complaint was BS since you need internet for 1 second for the inital login and then you're done.

As long as you've logged in once on your battle.net launcher you can start the SC2 editor from the launcher even if you are currently offline.
Other games can be launched too though the game brings you to its specific login instead since they are internet based.

I think the typical (and most correct) solution in this case is to do the authentication once, upon installation, and to store the result of that authentication for subsequent launches, much like how Steam does that. Though, I am not here to debate that, and neither was my post in direct response to you, rather just the general mood here that some people introduced of removing LAN. Maybe I misread.

In any rate, the "verify on launch" method has garnered it's own share of drama over the years in different launchers and DRM schemes, and I think it's a dead horse at this point. Either way, it's not up for us to decide how that works, unfortunately.

Level 11
In fact, you don't even need a stable internet as launching the editor takes 1 second of stable internet. Same for the base game presumably.
I can't speak on everyone's behalf, but I encountered absence of internet multiple times (remote place in the countryside, no internet, no mobile) when not at home for several weeks, and it was in 2018, in France, not in the 90's or in Uganda. If I had been required to log in, I wouldn't have been able to launch the game at all.
I think it's pretty safe to assert that some people might be in the same position sometimes, especially in some parts of the world. Allowing them to enjoy the game offline is not asking too much, whether it is for testing maps, playing on LAN or whatever. Since an authentification shouldn't be vital for this, I don't really see the point of arguing :p

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
I did not do any in depth testing, but single maps seemed to work.
A shame about the campaigns.

Maybe reforge has a better system than sc2 (or worse), can't say.

edit:
2opz5x
2opz5x.jpg

just a joke btw

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
Yes, @Chaosy, we get it, you always have perfect internet.
The only way you could make that more obvious is by writing "MY INTERNET IS ALWAYS PERFECT!" every post. :p

Not everyone, neither in Europe nor anywhere else, has that luxury.
It is getting repetitive to see you write that. ;)

Level 4
So Blizzard decided to screw up LAN (don't get me started on installing useless software like Bonjour and not even explaining why) because... of no good reason and the only alternative is deciding to not to play it at all?
If Blizzard decides I need to pay monthly for BNet access, is it fine for me to be able to choose either to be harassed or to stop playing the game? This makes no sense.
LAN was in the game and there are no reasons to remove it.
In fact it is useful as long as someone finds a use.
•Playing with friends in the same building is more reliable that way as Blizzard's servers are not top notch.
•LAN gives ability to play custom maps which forbid singleplayer due to cheat protection.
•Again, playing multiplayer maps solo without wasting time on logging into BNet (after years it get's trully annoying).

I don't see LAN removal as a practical anti-piracy action. Those folks can still find workarounds and as usual, such changes hit only the actual community.

If LAN is to be removed just because it's not needed... why do even bother? No one is forced to use it, it doesn't harm anyone, instead it suits some people.

Level 16
Why keep LAN and offline mode?

- Lower latency. This is hugely useful for those of us in the Oceania region where Blizzard don't have nearby servers.
- Allows playing over poor or no Internet connection. I play sometimes on long car trips or when I'm out in the country, the latter with friends.
- CD key sharing. Allows me to play with my brothers and friends without buying 4-8 copies of the game (or convincing them to pay for it). Not sure if this is allowed or not but I doubt I'll convince everyone to buy their own copy so we can play together. I might not buy Reforged if I can't play with them.
- Provides long term security. I doubt Blizzard will fall victim to this, but there are numerous other games which rely on servers. Sometimes when the community dies or the game isn't popular enough, the servers can decommission which makes the game unplayable.
- Provides reliability. Servers sometimes experience downtime. LAN allows us to play anyway.

I'm reluctant to buy some of the new games these days which offer no true offline and LAN support.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
Yes, @Chaosy, we get it, you always have perfect internet.
The only way you could make that more obvious is by writing "MY INTERNET IS ALWAYS PERFECT!" every post. :p

Not everyone, neither in Europe nor anywhere else, has that luxury.
It is getting repetitive to see you write that. ;)

Currently I have fiber which gives me 10 mb/s download speed and roughly 30 ping.
Half a year ago I was rocking 800 kb/s with 60-80 ping, which is far from impressive. However, yes it was rather stable.

The most popular games have multiplayer elements, I reckon Fortnite is the most popular one at this point in time.
Do people play Fortnite with 9999 ping that crash every 3 seconds?
I do not think it is the minority of today's society that have stable internet.

Unless you want to argue that the wc3 playerbase is completely different. Which I can neither prove or disprove.
There is an internet speed post thread however, if that is anything to go by people have good internet.

Not that speed matters for this. You can probably get away with 100 kb/s and 500 ms without much annoyance.

Last edited:
LAN is still very useful for many reasons, one not provided currently would be singleplayer without cheats though thanks to CE and easily accessible public knowledge of mpq files kind of cancels this out for anyone wanting to bypass this. Currently there is no "pirate" server for 1.30.2 and likely won't be so it is effectively pointless removing LAN and only hits players that should be cared about.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
The most popular games have multiplayer elements, I reckon Fortnite is the most popular one at this point in time.
Do people play Fortnite with 9999 ping that crash every 3 seconds?
Let's find out for Sweden, shall we:
Fortnite fel? Aktuella fel, störningar och problem | Downdetector

... and for general comparison purposes:
Statusöversikt | Downdetector

Last edited:
Level 10
Does any1 know if Blizzard fixed "wait" and its leaks in this patch? (asking for singleplayer). (I know about timers, but why complicate life if there's an easier option at hand?)

Which things leaked with waits? As far as i know most of the things that needed fixing with the wait functions were in front of the pc and not in the editor...
Normally when you shadow your globals or use locals the wait function had no really issues with leaks. At least none i'm aware of.

Level 4
I have hosted several private melee games with a friend and always selected random race but in 90 % of the games I get Undead.
This cannot be random.
In the Slalom 8 player map, the opponents start next to our bases when playing 2 vs 2.
This is quite annoying, they should start at the other end of the map?
Actually, this can be random, it's just very very very unlikely xD

Level 2
Hello everyone! Im new, not to warcraft but to the site community, glad to see theres a wc 3 one here! the newpatch has made it unplayable online, friends and I from work tried to connect and play and nothing.

Hello,is this proper thread to report some things?

I am writing to @Kam , hoping he will read it.I downloaded latest hotfix,i was at bnet yesterday.

1. Can you guys please fix that "game name bar" not to be empty when i select game = which should be filled with game name when i click on game ?

2. Join button is not working after selecting a game.

I think this was programming premise : If you select game to play = a bar will show game name = clicking join button will enter a selected game with its game name

I believe join button do "recognize" empty game name bar (this function dont show game name when select game in new patch hotfixes) and this is why you cant enter game by clicking join button

It literally saying like this : ''You didnt specify a game to join it''

3.Refresh button is not fading out anymore after i click it,or get full solid color after autorefresh,until i manually click button again ???

Maybe auto refrehs and manual refrehs not synchronize enough?

4.Another problem directly connected with things mentioned above :

a)Custom game system auto-refresh is too "fast" (maybe its normal, but without all functions above working it give me a feeling its fast)

b) literally loose game name while list is refreshing fast, i can not copy-paste for example if i want send to friend etc= cause ''game bar'' dont show me ''game name'' at all when select a game

5.An additional suggestion :

I hope 1 day when reforged comes out and wc3 be on bnet launcher and when we get new UI for whole game = that a custom game list windows will be more "taller"
so we do not have to scroll way too much.

I think all of those things should be fixed or implemented and it will be a real feeling and enjoy, and people will stop complaining (wtih real reason) , and we will not argue anymore .

Tnx, i believe in you

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.