1. Music Contest #10 - Results are finally published! Drop by to check some retro songs and congratulate the winners!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Join Terraining Contest #19 and witness the aftermath!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The 3rd Melee Mapping Contest is ON! Join in on a ride of a 4v4 melee experience!
    Dismiss Notice

Warcraft 3 Reforged

Discussion in 'Latest Updates and News' started by Archian, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Kacpa2

Kacpa2

Resources:
    Resources:
    Sorry to say that but i am excessively pesimistic towards this.......its really far call from what should be made(take Starcraft 1 Remastered for prime example of how faithful they could get....if they tried...). It's poorly done port of heroes of the storm and world of warcraft assets with few edits, incredibly unfaithful to the artstyle. Excessively revisionist and meant only for world of warcraft fanbase that didnt play the rts games at all. It looks really bad so far especially the culling trailer....it looks like fan fic machnima and menages to be far worse cinematic wise to original cutscene in wc3....which is remarkable.....in worst way possible... I would take the slightly wowified models from Sc2 HD Wc3 asset pack we got years back over this....it wasnt perfect...would still be incredibly unfitting to all assets we made over the years but would be for sure much closer AND WOULD use original animations.....when this lazily put together mess uses animations from wherever it got copied and ported from either wow or hots(even if its reanimated its clealry not trying too hard to resemble originals...), same with many sounds. How did it go from quite well done remasters like WoW HD models in WoD and Starcraft 1 to this disrespectful revisionist remake?

On top of that it will part the community, make artstyle in games with custom assets incredibly inconsistent and painful to look at, will make Reforged the stardard kids and newcomers will default to neglecting original game, and will be just heptic mess that will hurt the game over all. It should be handled in far better way.....with respect and faithfulness Starcraft 1 received...... Is Warcraft 3 not worthy of such treatment? What are reasons to make this so lazily, to such degree that it doesnt even bother to attempt at being a remaster? Good remaster is at faithful as it is physicly possible, with all sounds, animations(with minor upgrades which we seen on Sc2 HD wc3 pack despite its minor wowification in few models, and textures that would break all custom assets made by us using ingame textures), UI and music. Instead we get everything disrespectfully changed and Excuse given is "You dont like it then dont play it" or "You still have the old game" from most people who dont even understand this community too well.

I feel incredibly dissapointed and betrayed, it should be given far more respect and stick to original artstyle with improvements drawn from textures, icon artworks and concept arftworks....instead we got revisionist mash up of existing Heroes of the Storm and World of Warcraft assets with few edits and reskins using source animations which are incredibly clinky and unfitting and are incredibly far call from originals..... I dont care that some people who dont understand my points will attack me, but i wont stand for this and will still carry on with my plans of remastering wc3 in coming years on my own i just got myself freed of previous time constraints that stopped my progress for months.....and i am greeted by this.....and many wow fans and clueless people who dont think about it in proper mindset taking everything into account praise it to no end......which is a really bad sign.....

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
  2. Pyraeus

Pyraeus

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    What this guy said above. Rep + and yes.

This community will face a divide soon. Let reality sink in.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
  3. Wardota2 Gamer

Wardota2 Gamer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I love how you reply deepstrasz really simple but Off-Topic

4. Xarwin

Xarwin

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Too lazy to read all the other posts.
    All I can say is to be happy to see this happening.
    I've been waiting for a long time.

5. Drakensang

Drakensang

Resources:
    Resources:
    Blizzard probably has their B or C team working on this remaster, while for Starcraft they had the real deal. That or they just probably don't care at all since they know for sure that people will buy their games regardless of quality (Battle for Azeroth for example) due to them being such a big name in the gaming industry. I'm positive they could've done a way better cutscene even under time constraints if they cared at all.

6. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Except for many portraits and not only.
    It's the sign they need. Hopefully, the modding part would be what will actually matter in the end.

7. Hero_Lief

Hero_Lief

Resources:
    Resources:
    I respectfully disagree. While the in-game cutscene they showed ("The Culling" between Arthas and Uther) looked a little bit like WoW's shorts, the actual gameplay they showed off looks incredibly respectful of the original art style.

Ah yes, look at this amazing writing. Such a detailed cinematic!

Considering you can still use the original art assets with a simple button to switch between them, I don't think it's going to part the community too badly. I bet you could even enforce new vs old graphics as a map option.

I think you are blowing this WAY out of proportion.

8. Wareditor

Wareditor

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    You could cure cancer and people would bitch about it.

9. Bribe

Bribe

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Anyone have the video of Grubby playing?

10. Sieben

Sieben

Resources:
    Resources:
    Twitch

11. Pyraeus

Pyraeus

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    It’s called common sense. You want to be a war editor? Be opened to criticism and be prepared.

This isn’t curing. This is adding while trying to cure what is not broken.

12. Chaosy

Chaosy

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Getting upgrades and complaining [​IMG]

I suggest the reforge edition is 600x800 max res and units can only move in 8 directions like diablo 1.
    And lastly, no sounds are allowed to maintain our stoneage pre-evolution feel where we had not developed the ability to hear yet.

edit: sign my petition to add "omegalul" as a standard emoji to the hive.

13. Efran

Efran

Resources:
    Resources:
    Perfectly

Heil the new era of mapmaking

14. YourArthas

YourArthas

Resources:
    Resources:
    For guys that said new graphics are not cool etc or saying asking money for only dynamic shadows is bad here is my answer: I worked atleast 5 years to make that HD mod and I'lld even give 100 dolars if they were gonna do it and now they have done it, so if you guys don't like it just play classic you have, I will play with my new graphics and also use models I made that I still like better.

15. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    It's called treatment.
    I'm sorry. A remaster is not supposed to be a reboot.
    Let's understand this. You're still going to use your models even though your happy they did what they did?
    Also, your work is pretty much in vain now.

16. YourArthas

YourArthas

Resources:
    Resources:
    No, no I did not try to say it I mean I don't care about my mod they can take all my money I'll use their models and if I don't like a model I'll use my versions on top of it

17. Kacpa2

Kacpa2

Resources:
    Resources:
    I even more respectfully and excessively firmly disagree. Its not Wc3 artstyle, it's based of one of unused artworks that went to use in Hots, model isnt copied from there per se(except for jaina who is DIRECTLY copied from hots and restextured, maybe with her face edited a tiny bit...). Wc3 Artstyle is mroe cartoony ingame and more realistic in cinematics, WoW isnt on either it kind of sits in the middle and towards to "fantasy oversized and overly fancy syndrome". Replacing the sounds shouldnt even happen. REMASTER is a faithful recreation and upgrade of original game's appreance with all audio and animations intact, it could be improved(good examples are hadn and face animations on WC3HD models in Starcraft 2 which are MUCH more faithful that this mess they shown because it TRIES to look like wc3 and mostly suceeds even if i still have some issues with it, but its MUCH better than what they just shown)

you completely missed my point. It was about the atmosphere of the scene, way it was acted out even with wc3's limitations, Culling trailer looks really bad in comparison to that..... which as i said is remarkably bad feat. Again artstyle is incredibly unfaithful. Its derived from WoW and Hots models swith some being straight ported from Hots like human knights, footmen, blademaster to some extend with edits buildings and so on(Alterac map from hots).

It doesnt change a think about making all assets accumulated over the years aside from few(which will still not fit with ones they used even with more detailed custom made ones) will be obsolete and unfitting in al custom maps using them. New doodads are welcome but they still should be adapted for wc3 artstyle instead of being literally WoW's artstyle with textures and look. Changing the cinematics instead of trying to recover originals and updating them to rerender at higher resolution was also not ideal.....there was no need to repalce the audio in it.

Another thing is.....how will it work with original game if assets of 'Reforged' are used, that may or may not be unique like Terenas statue i seen in culling. Does it replace some wc3 doodad or it will be there is it's wow-style appearence?

18. Sieben

Sieben

Resources:
    Resources:
    I wouldn't say it in such a harsh way, but I think pretty much the same, to be honest. I don't feel the new graphics are faithful to the origin design. They have amplified the cartoonish design, which was already cartoonish enough...
    And it's obvious Blizzard tried to match WoW as much as possible. This is a disappointment, because there are many things I dislike about post-vanilla WoW. For example, the excessive size of spaulders or weapons which is really absurd, like in WoW. Just look at Arthas' head in Reforged, it is ridiculously small compared to the rest of his body, his armour and his oversized weapon. It's just my personal taste here though, but I'm sure I'm not the only one. They changed the whole Stratholme map just to match WoW design: was it necessary? I mean, does WoW derive from Warcraft III, or is it the other way around? Are they going to change all Warcraft III campaigns to make sure it is as close as possible as WoW, even if it degrades the original game experience? (and I think WoW design and scenario were already messed up since a long time ago, but that's another topic)
    I concur with Deepstrasz here, is it a reboot or a remaster?

As for the general style, there are pros and cons, in my opinion. Right now, I'm almost happy with most units (except what I said about size issues). I really don't like buildings. They are too stylized, too cartoonish. Overall environment is not too bad, however I find it too smooth. On the whole, you can see there was a clear choice in visual style, similar to games like Heroes of the Storm, or also a bit like Overwatch or even Fortnite, games with that kind of style. Maybe to follow the current trend in games graphics, I don't know, but I'm so not fond of it.

Also, why putting one orc and two jungle trolls in the surroundings of Stratholme? Jungle trolls in Lordaeron? I don't mean to be an ass, but do they know there own game? I hope they just dropped them there just for Blizzcon, to show off some of the new assets.

And, again, I'm disappointed that even the best custom models won't be able to fit in this remaster.

These are just my humble thoughts. I'll try to be more specific and constructive in the future, especially when more footage will be available. Perhaps new threads should be opened shortly, so we can discuss about suggestions and deliver some feedback?

19. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    If nothing else, this will be a melee/ladder hit.

20. EredarArbeiterYU

EredarArbeiterYU

Resources:
    Resources:
    YES!!! THIS I'D LOVE!! :D Also for UI to have it stylized in such a way. :) So sometimes u can play Humans but not always have Lordaeron crest in your UI. :)