• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft 3 Reforged

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
"An Upgraded Experience
Challenge opponents with modern multiplayer matchmaking, search for custom game lobbies, and connect with friends through the Blizzard Battle.net app. With updated UI and countless quality-of-life improvements, it’s never been easier to get into Warcraft III. "

If that doesn't mean Battle.net 2.0, I don't know what it is. Even StarCraft: Remastered requires you to start the Battle.net app.

Then why are they making all these efforts for revamping Battle.net 1.0? They've changed clan sizes, channels, matchmaking, etc. And in PTR they have a patch which will change how/if bots work, how you can find a custom game, the need for port forwarding, etc.

Why all that work if it's for nothing?

Reactions: Rui

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Then why are they making all these efforts for revamping Battle.net 1.0? They've changed clan sizes, channels, matchmaking, etc. And in PTR they have a patch which will change how/if bots work, how you can find a custom game, the need for port forwarding, etc.

Why all that work if it's for nothing?
I think you might be right. They just port the game to the B.net app and that's it. That, because they will probably update both classic Warcraft III and Reforged with patches since they can be toggled from one to another.

Level 6
I think you might be right. They just port the game to the B.net app and that's it. That, because they will probably update both classic Warcraft III and Reforged with patches since they can be toggled from one to another.

Yup. There will be crossplay. So I'm sure both classic and reforged players will get the new multiplayer experience.

Level 35
I am really looking forward to this - Although I could be in for a disappointment if the spirit of the original is lost. At the very least, damn the potential of this.

EDIT: Should keep in mind that this is written on their site for the remake:

Warcraft® III: Reforged™ is a complete reimagining of a real-time strategy classic. Experience the epic origin stories of Warcraft, now more stunning and evocative than ever before.

So I guess I am more hoping for a reimagining that keeps the spirit of the original game and allow us to still do all our beloved modding (perhaps also use some of the old:con:).

Last edited:
Level 12
I really disliked how the classics team started patching wc3 over a year ago. There was no communication and the patches broke so many things. I also thought SC:R was poorly made. Many pro-players just stuck to the the original SC.

Despite that I think the classics team has become a blessing to wc3. They started really listening to the community and asking people what they wanted and how they wanted. Having a reverse compatible remaster is the smartest and best possible way to have handled this. Now we just need to keep feeding them our feedback and build this into an amazing project. The team working on WCR look incredibly passionate and I feel like this is a collaboration with the community rather than a Blizzard solo-cash-grab.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Or even remakes of those legendary alpha models we never got to see?
We'll be lucky enough that they port the plentiful bundle of models wc3 has (creeps, I'm looking at you; replacing Stratholme bandits for orcs does not bode well).

What would happen with the custom maps? Does all progress of current projects will cancelled?
Guys, you must read the thread :( the original game is compatible with reforged.

More detailed models means less people able to cope with detail.
Already said that in my post :p
As per your other question, Blizzard is releasing the art tools they used to reforge models. :infl_thumbs_up:

@Blackcat @RED BARON love it that you guys are around!:cute:

Level 14
Writer Christie Golden, who has worked with Blizzard on multiple novels set in the Warcraft universe over the past two decades, is helping to bring “parity” to the stories of Warcraft 3and World of Warcraft, which will require retconning some of the strategy game’s story. Those changes will bring “renewed focus to a few central characters that we thought deserved a little bit more time in the limelight,” Stillwell said.

“There’s been 16 years of evolution of this franchise outside of this game,” Stillwell explained. “Some of that, especially central characters like Jaina and Sylvanas

Of course they were gonna push their agenda in the remaster of a 15 years old game.

Level 35
We'll be lucky enough that they port the plentiful bundle of models wc3 has (creeps, I'm looking at you; replacing Stratholme bandits for orcs does not bode well).

@Blackcat @RED BARON love it that you guys are around!:cute:

Yea, the reimagining factor makes me somewhat nervous. But of course I am around - Always :smile: I might be fairly lurking, but I always have Hive as a primary tab for whatever PC I am on. I am glad to see you as well :wink:

Very glad they didn't go the Diablo Immortal route though haha :grin:

Level 14
Yea, the reimagining factor makes me somewhat nervous. But of course I am around - Always :smile: I might be fairly lurking, but I always have Hive as a primary tab for whatever PC I am on. I am glad to see you as well :wink:

by reinagining it means stuff like
Assaulting Silvermoon will probably have an island you have to push to after destroying cirty to reach the sunwell. in additino Anasterian Sunstriders presence.

A quick look at the Stratholm map at blizzcon tells you where they are going.

This is frankly a good thing. You can play old warcraft anytime you want. This is the SAME STORY we all know but with new map layouts and tactical challenges.

Think of Azjol Nerub in Legacy of the Damned 2.0
Think of the potential extended Scourge of Lordaeron Campaign with Arthas purging his men.

there will obviosuly be new quests and new sidequests. I somewhat hope Campaign map items are static and not randomized however with blizzards new RNG boner in every game it has these days.

Think of the potential for a TRUE dalaran and not knights and footman with 3 mages.

This has the potential to be a groundbreaking RTS a new warcraft RTS even.

What SUCKS ASS tho is if they were going this route. Why didn't they just make a damn new game instead of patching and breaking the fuck out of WC3 when they could of left it intact while making this without breaking OLD custom content which will obviously happen when THIS goes live.

Custom Campaigns entirely unplayable? Probably so.
Going to be hell to keep a legacy version patch of the game up one this goes out with Bnet forcing your patching updates.

This isn't going to be a simple Starcraft remaster graphics resolution toggle with the changed maps.
So it's either going to have a legacy campaign and reforged campaign selection

they say custom content will work but I'm skeptical we will have to see how this plays out. They are playing with fire right now.

If they auto update your existing WC3 and also DELETE the old map layouts.
THat would not be good for anyone and piss many off myself included.

Last edited:
Level 1
I'm a lurker for ages, but this... sounds amazing! I can't wait until release.
Remade/Improved World Editor :wgrin::wthumbsup:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Maybe, it's WoW to blame?
What the .... is that? I just watched the trailer. It's a Diablo game only for mobile! Is Blizzard that desperate?
Think of the potential for a TRUE dalaran and not knights and footman with 3 mages.
Let's hope they actually bring all that material in! Imagine the orcish and whatnot factions (Kul Tiras too!) being put for us on the modding table.

Level 14

What the .... is that? I just watched the trailer. It's a Diablo game only for mobile! Is Blizzard that desperate?

Let's hope they actually bring all that material in! Imagine the orcish and whatnot factions (Kul Tiras too!) being put for us on the modding table.

well it's not a LORE accurate port for sure.

Orc and Darkspear headhunter creep camps were off the the left of the Stratholme preview levels area.

Speaking of Which if the Demo campaign isnt included fully into the game. Thats a fail and a point that need to be found out if they forgot it yet so they can add it.

Rexxar campaign is already comfired happening and with the reimagining happening it will probably have even more RPG feels than before.

Level 20
Writer Christie Golden, who has worked with Blizzard on multiple novels set in the Warcraft universe over the past two decades, is helping to bring “parity” to the stories of Warcraft 3and World of Warcraft
Oh, for the love of the Light, Blizzard... Just... F**ck off with your lore retcons.

Like, seriously... I could give the new graphics a try. I could wait and see what they do with modding. But this... This is really hurting my hype levels right now.

Last edited:
Level 27
“There’s been 16 years of evolution of this franchise outside of this game,” Stillwell explained. “Some of that, especially central characters like Jaina and Sylvanas

Well... shit

If WoW writters were better keeping their own lore straight, this could be only a minimal meedling. But given the "In yo face" way they do the things now, this is going to be a Battle for Lorderon 0.5.

And seriously this is the seven mass retcon to WC3 events.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
I am glad to see you as well :wink:
Hug emoji does not display :(

WoW has orcs in Stratholme? I did not know that :xxd:

That would be awesome, but somehow I doubt it's about to happen :p getting decals, at least, would be nice.
Also, the orc grunt and troll headhunters were probably because bandit models have not been reforged yet^^

Level 35
by reinagining it means stuff like
Assaulting Silvermoon will probably have an island you have to push to after destroying cirty to reach the sunwell. in additino Anasterian Sunstriders presence.

Well, we don't really know yet. Reimagining could mean an utter change to everything I love in the game. I hope not and that we are just talking about adding a gate to a city, changing some voices and whatnot.. But it could also mean utterly changing creeps to be other races and leaving out stuff that was in Wc3, thus breaking things. So yea, I dislike that word. Say a formulation similar to this: "A true remake with adjustments in the main storyline to fit WoW" would make me feel more secure (in however meaningless that feeling would be, given that this is just semantics). :bored:

Haha yea - although maybe it can be run through the Windows 10 client.. but still.. mobile..Just why Blizzard. Although having watched the short for OW and seeing Reforged I am in a slightly more forgiving mood (As in I am pissed that I will likely never play that Diablo game, but guess that is why you have a wiki :grin:)

Last edited:
Level 14
I hope they won't change lost ones, and if they did I hope it will be optional (only thing I hate about wow is draenais)
they have too and most likely will

Akama and his tribe were Broken not Lost ones. it will be changed

Woohoo! Naaru all the way! Can't wait!
No narru

its more off Eredar and Draenei had no connection in WC3

NOw they were the same race.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Haha yea - although maybe it can be run through the Windows 10 client.. but still.. mobile..Just why Blizzard. Although having watched the short for OW and seeing Reforged I am in a slightly more forgiving mood (As in I am pissed that I will likely never play that Diablo game, but guess that is why you have a wiki :grin:)
And YouTube to see the game!
No narru

its more off Eredar and Draenei had no connection in WC3

NOw they were the same race.
I know, right? Can't wait!

Level 14
Another legit concern not on the style of the graphics, but since War3 we have the Stramholme mission being narrated on like five flavors.

War 3: Arthas was right.
WoW: Uther was right.
Comic: Everyones fault.
Lich: Arthas killed his own people.
Else: GREY MORALITY!!!

Given the current WoW expansion, i fear that Throne undead will be rewritten to make Sylvanas a dark and misunderstood GREY MORALITY!!! character under the influence of the evil Dreadlord and Betrayed by Garithos that is an "Insert political term of your preference here"
Retxones are in cukling demonall over the place already.....with addition of wow bosses, reshaping the map, its also smaller, less realistic(as city scape), all extrs triggers seem to be gone including hidden line from arthas contemplating his choice in fromt of terenas's obelisk(could be replaced by statue but since map isnt even remotrlt similar kn layout it wont happen)
They will surely retcon and even change the dialogue as he mentioned in the interview

Level 14
And YouTube to see the game!

I know, right? Can't wait!

I just want more info

Will old map layouts be accessable in a Legacy Campaign tab with reforged seperate or is Reforged a diff executable?
will the Highly important Darkspear Prologue maps be added or forgotten?
How do they plan to NOT destroy every single custom campaign created with reforgeds changes?

I really believe a seperate Executable and game would of been a far better thing for them to do.

also for campaigns will map items be static or Random knowing Blizzards 2018 RNG hard on.

Many many questions and no way to ask... :(

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Yeah, about that... I've thought Hive would get an interview with the devs.
The staff should be collecting questions and feedback and send all that to Blizzard so they won't die reading everything. When I say feedback, I mean even negative criticism.
Im permanently banned from the site.

The only one to ever get one it seems.

Latest infraction was worth 60,000 points to get rid of me forever.
You posted something distracting?

Reactions: Rui
Level 11
Dammit, this is getting worse than I expected. So retconning is going to be a thing, not just on details?
Wowhead stated that "The main focus of the team is laser-cut fidelity with the original Warcraft III experience"
Rob BridenbeckerBlizzard said:
So right now, we are laser-focused on bringing Warcraft 3 forward into today's graphical state, gameplay state, and that is a pretty monumental task, we didn't too much into the details the presentation this morning, but one of the things that folks would be interested to know is that the original version of Warcraft 3 is still basically compatible with the reforged version, and that includes also the maps, custom mods, the idea there is that we're starting from the original version of Warcraft 3, and we're evolving, we're adding on all the graphics we're adding in new mechanics from a campaign standpoint, from a gameplay standpoint, but we're rooted in what made Warcraft 3 great, to begin with.
And a moment later, they say they will retcon the lore and reshape the world?
This is so wrong... I hope we'll get more info soon and Blizzard will reconsider.
The only thing that reassures me is that they said several times that they are going to have a lot of discussion with the community. I truly hope they will not totally break the game and make a totally different one.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Just Pro Sylvanas stuff

Best character in the franchise
Oh clearly a well deserved ban. Will also unfollow you.

~JK rolling.

@Anaxie Sylvanas is distracting indeed especially if you're a feminist.
Maybe they just meant not touching the melee part.
2 Different executables or 1?
You should link your previous post(s) not write another one. Also, that person has a profile...

Level 14
Dammit, this is getting worse than I expected. So retconning is going to be a thing, not just on details?
Wowhead stated that "The main focus of the team is laser-cut fidelity with the original Warcraft III experience"

This is so wrong... I hope we'll get more info soon and Blizzard will reconsider.
The only thing that reassures me is that they said several times that they are going to have a lot of discussion with the community. I truly hope they will not totally break the game and make a totally different one.

Yeah see this is what scares me

ALL THE OLD maps layouts GONE
Custom Campaigns? how will they NOT break?
Culling of Stratholme at blizzcon has NO PRIST OR SORCERESS UNITS. Far diff then them being buildable in WC3 Legacy

WIth Bnet integration keeping a Legacy old patch install is going to be impossible or hell jumping through hoops.

They are removing the old game essentially the way I interpret this and that is NOT okay. Everyone should backup their current WC3 now and keep it far away from bnet if they want to have reforged and not have their old game go bye bye.

Level 20
Okay, I've posted your stuff. If you come up with anything else (or anyone else wants their questions posted in the MMO-champ thread), just let me know.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
They are removing the old game essentially the way I interpret this and that is NOT okay. Everyone should backup their current WC3 now and keep it far away from bnet if they want to have reforged and not have their old game go bye bye.
No, they're not doing that. They're going with it in parallel like with the first StarCraft (+Remastered).
If they would do what you wrote, I'm sure there are enough conservatives in California for an unpeaceful boycott.

Level 14
How can you toggle graphics and expect the old game when the map campaign layouts are entirely changed.

Blizzcons Stratholme VS Classic This won't be the only case I'm sure Silvermoon with the Sunwell location and most others will be entirely remade.

losing the OLD game is NOT acceptable a toggle is insufficient. hope they plan on having Legacy and Reforged Campaign Selection.

This is the #1 Question everyone should ask.

@Kam

Can we have ANY insight here?

Level 20
I mean, it's pretty obvious that the graphics toggle will just work for graphics, i.e. you will still have the new layouts of the campaign maps.

The real question here is will there be an option to play the campaign with the old layouts?

Level 14
Yes but I guess only on the classic mode and not with Reforged.

But we don't know if there will even be a classic mode.

Better to clarify now to get response so the Masses can demand a Classic Campaign Selection.

As I see it right now this is 2 completely diff games. which is awesome
But I won't erase My OLD favorite game for something new and entirely different with only similarity being story.

with this should also be 2 editors with stuff already made because again. I'm skeptical it won't destroy custom campaigns entirely.

I don't get why they even update the base game and didn't just make a brand new one and executable. all this patching hell the last year + could of been avoided.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Warcraft 3 Reforged will contain a remaster of Warcraft 3 Rain of Chaos and The Frozen Throne.
As @Anaxie wrote on the first thread, would the Exodus of the Horde or what's it called (that official custom campaign with Thrall) not make it to Reforged?
But we don't know if there will even be a classic mode.
We know. They said the games can be toggled from one to another.

Status
Not open for further replies.