• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft 3 Patch 1.31

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
If this is legit news, that is absolutely amazing to hear. It will open up massive doors for modders to work in wc3 and i'm absolutely pumped for it!

Just a reminder though, we can prepare ourself that when 1.31 hits, a massive amount of bugs could be introduced. We know what happened when the desynch detection got improved.

Level 12
Not sure if this has been mentioned but I found the article talking about netease making big bucks of microtransactions or whatever, in chinese.

But rather than the monetization stuff or anything like that, what really caught my eye was this: 不喜欢物品栏的摆放方式?你可以修改,改成你喜欢的模样。

Now I can't read Chinese, but to me that's saying that we'll be able to change the UI for the inventory and/or possibly change the number of items etc.

Maybe we'll even be able to make completely custom inventories, like in TKoK, since it's talking about RPG maps.

And of course, if there's the functionality for those kinds of UI changes, then there's probably going to be lots more of UI customization that will be possible.

But obviously, I've got no idea whether they've got some credible source for this or it's just someone saying some random BS. (And I don't really know Chinese to begin with either...)

p.s. I came upon the article by google searching the image from:
YDAPI is provided by YDWE,a third-party-worldeditor,which was inherited from JNGP and improved by several Chinese fans.It only support old Wc3 versions before 1.27a.

DzAPI is provided by DzWE,another third-party-worldeditor,which is a pirate version of YDWE.Netease has stolen most of codes from YDWE and didn't give any credit to anyone.

Both of these APIs support map-moneytizing and microtransaction,which have completely destroyed the environment of worldeditor forums in China.I highly suggest you guys be cautious of these news.

In case you are curious of what's the potential of Chinese Wc3 markets...

It was said Netease has made a profit of ¥100,000,000(about $15,000,000 or €13,000,000) by microtransaction last year.Blizzard knows that and has been keeping quiet.Perhaps it was the real reason why Blizzard decided to make a Reforged one.

Level 9
But rather than the monetization stuff or anything like that, what really caught my eye was this: 不喜欢物品栏的摆放方式?你可以修改,改成你喜欢的模样。
Now I can't read Chinese, but to me that's saying that we'll be able to change the UI for the inventory and/or possibly change the number of items etc.
Pleasebetruepleasebetruepleasebetruepleasebetruepleasebetruepleasebetrue...

and/or possibly change the number of items etc.

You guys know that if you just copy paste "Inventory (Hero)" and name it "Inventory (2)" and then give a hero both the normal one, and the (2) version, then the hero will be able to pick up 12 items, right?
That has been that way for over a decade.

Here is a GIF of it. This was done without any triggers or abilities other than the second inventory ability.
twelveitems-gif.319399

Attachments

• twelveitems.gif
    twelveitems.gif
    4 MB · Views: 1,616
Level 9
You guys know that if you just copy paste "Inventory (Hero)" and name it "Inventory (2)" and then give a hero both the normal one, and the (2) version, then the hero will be able to pick up 12 items, right?
Here is a GIF of it. This was done without any triggers or abilities other than the second inventory ability.

And how does one see and interact with items in second inventory?

Level 6
but to me that's saying that we'll be able to change the UI for the inventory and/or possibly change the number of items etc
That's not something new.Netease and some third-party platforms in China have already achieved such function last year,which only support old Wc3 versions before 1.27a though.Check this link if you are interest in,pay attention to the video.I'll upload some screenshots of a WoW-like prototype to you in case the video can't be opened by overseas guys.

UI_01.jpg

UI_02.jpg

UI_03.jpg

I've got no idea whether they've got some credible source for this
Pete Stilwell comes to China in March every year and holds so called "Conference of mapmakers" since 2016.However,the quality of our new maps and capabilities of our mapmakers have been declining since Netease and Blizzard allowed moneytizing and microtransaction.

Last edited:
And how does one see and interact with items in second inventory?

Unfortunately, I don't really know exactly, other than killing the unit and having them set to drop on death.
There might be a way with triggers.

But I find it nifty that it works at all.

Level 12

twelveitems-gif.319399
I actually wasn't aware of this, but since there's no UI for it, it doesn't seem particularly useful either way.

One thing that struck me though is this makes it more convenient for item combinations, since in a lot of maps if you've got a full inventory you can't pick up items, thus an item that should've combined with another into a new item doesn't since the component can't be picked up.

Workarounds for it includes replacing all sold items with dummy units, so obviously this wasn't common knowledge, but it could be quite handy. Now I might not have to make a dummy unit for every item anymore, so while I don't see the use in terms of having a hero with more than 6 items, I'll find this useful in other ways.
That's not something new.Netease and some third-party platforms in China have already achieved such function last year,which only support old Wc3 versions before 1.27a though.Check this link if you are interest in,pay attention to the video.I'll upload some screenshots of a WoW-like prototype to you in case the video can't be opened by overseas guys.
That's awesome

p.s. the link works for me at least

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
I actually wasn't aware of this, but since there's no UI for it, it doesn't seem particularly useful either way.
Hmm, it's good for a lot of things, mainly auras, spellbook type items when you can't put anymore spells on your hero in the object/unit editor. Maybe you could add them via triggers instead and hide their icons? Interesting since now you can add attributes and stuff via triggers but back then invisible items like these would have been useful as attributes out of nowhere.

I'm not sure yet how item combinations could work. Do the triggers detect both inventories as one?
How can you for instance be sure that an item will go in the either of the inventories if you don't want it to be seen?

@Retera how many inventories can one have?

Last edited:
Interessting did not know of this multiple inventory on one unit.
So I tested around with a unit having 2 inventory skills a bit, the picking works fine you get all stats the items should give.
The droping from a living was broken to me. I did not test the suggested drop on death.

I registered collected items with triggers in an simple item array with a counter to know the amount of items collected. Now I droped all of the items at once (with move item to loc) which worked at first look, the 12 items were at the map again.
But there was a problem with the items from the not visible inventory. They were not pickupable (did only test right click) nor did the previously item holder lost the abilties the items give.

Level 9
To switch between them? There are some inventory systems here on the site but I don't know if they're based on this.
Yeah. I'm currently not at home, can't test it.
Inventory systems are generally quite complex. Hiding a basic ability is very simple and can be implemented/imported with zero hassle.
Although I doubt it would work, because of course it wouldn't.

Level 1
YDAPI is provided by YDWE,a third-party-worldeditor,which was inherited from JNGP and improved by several Chinese fans.It only support old Wc3 versions before 1.27a.

DzAPI is provided by DzWE,another third-party-worldeditor,which is a pirate version of YDWE.Netease has stolen most of codes from YDWE and didn't give any credit to anyone.

Both of these APIs support map-moneytizing and microtransaction,which have completely destroyed the environment of worldeditor forums in China.I highly suggest you guys be cautious of these news.

In case you are curious of what's the potential of Chinese Wc3 markets...

It was said Netease has made a profit of ¥100,000,000(about $15,000,000 or €13,000,000) by microtransaction last year.Blizzard knows that and has been keeping quiet.Perhaps it was the real reason why Blizzard decided to make a Reforged one.
I hate the bad environment like you ,mate,I can't agree with you anymore bro,you are the few people who know the truth

Last edited:

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Upgrade to 64 bit without changing anything above the bare minimum.

Would it be an upgrade?

I would guess yes, but not in a meaningful way that a player cares about.
That's probably the answer yes :p. The thing is that no one will be able to tell. E.g. Wc3:R will use a modern graphics library. However, it will also get a graphics enhancement. Chances are this'll cancel out any efficiency gain by far. Unless you keep using the old graphics with the new library. But wc3's old graphics are already easily handled by any modern hardware anyway.

Level 20
Hmm, it's good for a lot of things, mainly auras, spellbook type items when you can't put anymore spells on your hero in the object/unit editor. Maybe you could add them via triggers instead and hide their icons? Interesting since now you can add attributes and stuff via triggers but back then invisible items like these would have been useful as attributes out of nowhere.

I'm not sure yet how item combinations could work. Do the triggers detect both inventories as one?
How can you for instance be sure that an item will go in the either of the inventories if you don't want it to be seen?
The problem would be how would you stop people from piling stuff into the unseen inventory.

~El

Level 17
I highly doubt that. I'm sure there are specific reasons for going with Lua. They probably picked it because it's what Dota 2 modding uses, and would use its familiarity to lure players over.

I think it's just the fact that Lua is so widespread in the modding community overall. DotA2, GMod, WoW, Starbound, and hundreds of other games all use lua. It's an excellent embeddable language.

But lua allow modder to access and write memory
Someone may make viruses :-<

Nice low-quality shitpost.
In case you aren't memeing, no, Lua does not have raw memory access. In fact, it's even more secure than JASS due to the sheer amount of usage it's seen over the last 20 odd years.

Level 9
2018《魔兽争霸III》地图开发者大会:拓展RPG地图创作的疆界-魔兽争霸官方对战平台 use translator from Google Chrome. It has good information about further map development that we all want to experience
So customizable interface is confirmed.
I wanted to write some funny or witty comparison to describe how awesome these news are, but I realized that "Warcraft III getting customizable interface" is pretty much the apex. I can think of nothing to compare it to. Its absolutely awesome. I've waited for it for many-many years. Yesss.

Level 4
Level 33
> Lua Support

So it is time for my Lua libraries to rise and be active then? (My ReactiveX library for Lua was on halt, might continue developing it soon)

I wonder how the Blizzard API for Lua will look like, I can imagine it something like this:

Code:
-- Unit API
function Unit:setX(value)
function Unit:setY(value)

but that would make things in Lua easily extensible (and over-writtable, except if the global environment was made read-only).

Level 1
> Lua Support

So it is time for my Lua libraries to rise and be active then? (My ReactiveX library for Lua was on halt, might continue developing it soon)

I wonder how the Blizzard API for Lua will look like, I can imagine it something like this:

Code:
-- Unit API
function Unit:setX(value)
function Unit:setY(value)

but that would make things in Lua easily extensible (and over-writtable, except if the global environment was made read-only).

actboy168/MoeHero
like this, if blz don't want to do more work

Status
Not open for further replies.