1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The poll for Hive's 12th Concept Art Contest is up! Go cast your vote for your favourite genie!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Travel to distant realms and encounter scenes unknown to the common folk. The Greatest of Adventures is upon us with the 8th Cinematic Contest. Join in on a fun ride.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The 18th Icon Contest is ON! Choose any ingame unit and give him/her Hero abilities. Good luck to all.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Contestants are to create a scene set in the Stone Age. Come and see what you can come up with. We wish you the best of luck!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Colour outside the lines! Techtree Contest #13 is a go. The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Greetings cerebrates, our Swarm needs new spawners that will have numerous children. Join the HIVE's 31st Modeling Contest - Spawners and Spawned! The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Warcraft 3 Patch 1.31

Discussion in 'Latest Updates and News' started by Ralle, Mar 25, 2019.

1. Robbepop

Robbepop

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
  2. GetLocalPlayer

GetLocalPlayer

Resources:
    Resources:
    What the hell is YDAPI/DzAPI?

3. Elladaryn

Elladaryn

Resources:
    Resources:
    64-bit support means better performance?

This mean the bigger maps would run smoothly?

4. Robbepop

Robbepop

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Look one post above yours and see what I have found here: sumneko/All-Star-Battle-2

1. 64-bit means computations are using 8 bytes pointers instead of 4 bytes thus using more memory. However, this also enables to use more memory for computation.

2. I don't think that we can conclude this from 64-bit support. Maybe more related to the engine support for Dx11 and Metal.

5. Kakerate

Kakerate

Resources:
    Resources:
    YDAPi is likely related to LUA integration actboy has already done. It's amazing to see a 1.26 coder get acknowledged in this presentation photo!

Source: actboy168/YDWE

6. nuck001

nuck001

Resources:
    Resources:
    YDAPI is provided by YDWE,a third-party-worldeditor,which was inherited from JNGP and improved by several Chinese fans.It only support old Wc3 versions before 1.27a.

DzAPI is provided by DzWE,another third-party-worldeditor,which is a pirate version of YDWE.Netease has stolen most of codes from YDWE and didn't give any credit to anyone.

Both of these APIs support map-moneytizing and microtransaction,which have completely destroyed the environment of worldeditor forums in China.I highly suggest you guys be cautious of these news.

In case you are curious of what's the potential of Chinese Wc3 markets...

t_05.jpg

It was said Netease has made a profit of ¥100,000,000(about $15,000,000 or €13,000,000) by microtransaction last year.Blizzard knows that and has been keeping quiet.Perhaps it was the real reason why Blizzard decided to make a Reforged one.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
  7. Magtheridon96

Magtheridon96

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Why the fuck would you want multi-threading in JASS?

If it's for structure, you can probably pull it off already (callbacks and promises and shit)
    If it's for performance, what the fuck are you doing? Multiplying large matrices?

8. NEL

NEL

Resources:
    Resources:
    wait.... what? LUA in Warcraft 3? with YDAPI? Holy Shit.

9. actboy168

actboy168

Resources:
    Tools:
    Resources:
    This is only part of the ydwe feature. Blz once again shortens the gap between WE and YDWE. I think their next step is to support the text format map. Anyway, I would rather see the idea of blz if they still have it.

10. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Yes and no. 64bit means more instructions per cycle due to more general purpose registers and more powerful instructions. It also means more cache misses due to lower cache density from 8 byte pointers as opposed to 4 byte pointers.

11. Chaosy

Chaosy

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    @Dr Super Good
    Due the nature of the question, I do not think your answer helps. As you use a bunch of fancy words that most likely wont be understood by people who ask what 64 bit is (or what it means).

If I have a program for 32 bit.
    Upgrade to 64 bit without changing anything above the bare minimum.

Would it be an upgrade?

I would guess yes, but not in a meaningful way that a player cares about.
    (unless they do more than the bare minimum of course)

12. T77df

T77df

Resources:
    Resources:
    #Warcraft_Will_Never_Die :D

13. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Same answer, yes and no.
    • Potential instructions per clock cycle of the application, the speed at which code can potentially run, can be improved due to instruction set features of 64bit.
    • Memory footprint of the application will be larger due to larger address sizes.
    • Cache performance of processors is reduced due to less of the application data fitting inside the cache.
    • Actual instructions per clock cycle may be reduced due to worse cache performance and higher memory bandwidth requirements.
    Ignoring the obvious removal of a restrictive memory limit. This has nothing to do with performance but can potentially allow the game to do more than it currently can.

Only way to know is actual physical benchmarks. For example StarCraft II lost performance when moving from 32bit to 64bit on my system due to the worse cache performance and higher memory bandwidth usage. Like wise Simutrans when built for 64bit can perform worse for the same reason, but on some systems (more modern ones) it may actually perform better. Tools such as 7-Zip perform a lot better when built for 64bit. Diablo III performed a lot better when built for 64bit but there were other engine changes at the same time voiding the tests.

I am guessing Warcraft III will not gain too much performance from the 64bit move directly. Often the gains are cancelled out by the losses for average performance changes in the order of a few % either positive or negative. It will gain performance from the move to D3D11 however and this will likely be quite a significant gain. There might also be many other under the hood optimizations which help improve performance unrelated to the move. On a modern computer one will likely see over a 25% improvement in performance in some cases, but most of this not due to the 64bit move.

There is also potential for map makers to improve performance of their maps themselves. Especially if a JIT LUA compiler is used, a map maker might be able to optimize slow JASS triggers into faster LUA triggers yielding large performance improvements.

14. GetLocalPlayer

GetLocalPlayer

Resources:
    Resources:
    Thanks for the link. Hadn't refreshed the page for 10 mins that was enough to miss it.
    Thanks for the explanation. That's quite disappointing though.

15. Trill

Trill

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    I have a bad feeling about this.
    Modern Blizzard is not exactly known for putting long-term profit and customer loyalty above some quick buck.

16. sonphamthe11H

sonphamthe11H

Resources:
    Resources:
    Hope they support custom hud design like starcraft2
    @actboy168 where can I download ydwe?
    Wanna test that apis

17. T77df

T77df

Resources:
    Resources:
    Did they change anything about game selection system that make it possible to select more than 12 unit? o_O
    I'm asking this cause I've been inactive for sometimes and I don't have Warcraft III now. T_T

18. Sieben

Sieben

Resources:
    Resources:
    Nothing has changed so far.
    In an interview, Pete Stilwell said the ability to select more than 12 units was possible and that it had been discussed. But nothing has been decided yet, apparently there is no plan to change it right now. Maybe we'll learn more about it when 1.31 patch notes (or another future update) will be available.

19. Trill

Trill

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    I understand not changing selection size in melee games (blahblahblah balance yaddayadda micromanagement noisenoisenoise skill etc) but if its technically possible they should add it as a map option in the editor. "Maximum selected unit count" or something.

20. LiSen冯

LiSen冯

Resources:
    Resources:
    wc3r == 1.31