• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Patch 1.31 announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
C'mon guys dont complain about patch fix. Play games, go to holidays, write books, draw paints, make plans about your maps until they fix editor.

also me: BLIZZ Fıx f@%&&#₺%&%&₺&&!!!!

Yeah never forget the most important tip given by paid trolls too: Make your own game in your free time !

Level 27
Blizzard could at least do us the courtesy of giving us an ETA as to when this patch will be fixed or whatever instead of generic answers like "we're working on it".

ETA only implies that the most important points are going to be worked, while the "rest" is pushed to a later time. So between Multiplayer ladder and the WE, what is priority and what is rest?

If the classic section management isn't suffering from Vince's McMahon "Out of touch and reality"TM, 1.31.> are going to be fixes over fixes, and a 1.32 will be coming next year.

Level 6
In the end there were no blizzard workers left on activision, the newbies will be like "wtf is this game? What i have to do?" and the former blizzard workers, full of exp, in their forties, will create a new gaming company. Using the hype people had "for their good all work" as free advertising. And Activision would have paid insane amounts of money to buy blizzard just to give them cash to finance that new gaming company.

That, or everyone just go away and they split among several different companies, with the good games and developers forever forgotten. What is sure, is that activision is going to hell sooner than later. Their "shor period" mentality is breaking WoW, already fucked HotS and now is crashing W3, a game that has been great for 20 years.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Oh dear god that was so simple. I couldn't read the whole 18 pages of this topic, I guess the answer was there. Sorry for the dumb question and a big thanks for your answer you saved my projects...
Besides searching the site/forums/thread, try doing it on your hard drives too :)
I would say WE breaking bugs should be priority.
The multiplayer experience (custom games+ladder) is what makes the game a game in the first place.
Not sure if this is related directly with the classic games division, but seems like Activision-Blizz is having some internal earthquakes recently: Blizzard’s Staff Is Still Unhappy, More High Profile Employees Are Leaving Due To Low Morale , so i'm not surprised of the recent messes they're delivering.
I don't know about that. What I'm intrigued by is why Michael Morhaime did not let Blizzard Entertainment thrive as it was for so many years and made the pact with the devil.

Level 6
Besides searching the site/forums/thread, try doing it on your hard drives too :)

The multiplayer experience (custom games+ladder) is what makes the game a game in the first place.

I don't know about that. What I'm intrigued by is why Michael Morhaime did not let Blizzard Entertainment thrive as it was for so many years and made the pact with the devil.

Custom games cant be played if they dont fix WE.

Level 6
Yes they can. They can't be updated.

No, they CANT. And i say it as mapper. My map was working, they fucked WE. Now when people play my map (old version, im not talking about updating it), they can blught mountains. The game is broken and no longer playable.

So, as i said: till they fix WE, custom games cant be played.

No, they CANT. And i say it as mapper. My map was working, they fucked WE. Now when people play my map (old version, im not talking about updating it), they can blught mountains. The game is broken and no longer playable.

So, as i said: till they fix WE, custom games cant be played.

Some custom games maybe, but I am hosting old school hero wars and line tower wars as we speak with no problems.

Level 6
Some custom games maybe, but I am hosting old school hero wars and line tower wars as we speak with no problems.

Yea, simple maps like a tower war wont have much problems. Since what they fucked was custom tile pathing. And a i dont think a tower defense would have much customization there xD

Wrda

Spell Reviewer
Level 25
have much customization
Today's world in a nutshell.
Sem Título.png
Apparently they broke this kind of stuff in the WE. Yet it works in-game when I tested. Why do they have gradient colouring and no normal colouring, doesn't make much sense? Besides that, the lag was so weird, I casted Summon Water Elemental and a 0.2 sec lag spike came, same when i clicked acolyte and ghoul. When I clicked the build button, it just froze and eventually crashed. Just what the fuck is this going on? I've never thought it was unstable like at all, new record I guess.
Despite all of this, I think they added decent amount of functionality, I'm impressed. They just really need to get their asses a bit faster and cautious. I still have hope.

Level 7
Apparently they broke this kind of stuff in the WE. Yet it works in-game when I tested. Why do they have gradient colouring and no normal colouring, doesn't make much sense? Besides that, the lag was so weird, I casted Summon Water Elemental and a 0.2 sec lag spike came, same when i clicked acolyte and ghoul. When I clicked the build button, it just froze and eventually crashed. Just what the fuck is this going on? I've never thought it was unstable like at all, new record I guess.
Despite all of this, I think they added decent amount of functionality, I'm impressed. They just really need to get their asses a bit faster and cautious. I still have hope.

Pressing "Apply Color" adds the color above the button.

I hope they fix the 'BlzFrameSetTexture' native, right now it removes the edges of the backdrop.

A version for setting edges, or the ability to add both as parameters would be great.

Also, a native for gettting framehandle childs (by name or index or something) would be amazing. Like the get parent native.

Great job Blizzard, once your update is stable, the innovations you have done to the editor looks like they will really revolutionize map making.

Too bad the rocky start totally overshadow that.

Last edited:
Level 6
Yes they can. They can't be updated.

This is false. Maps saved in 1.3+ with over 999 strings defined (tooltips, unit names, etc) are broken retroactively and cannot be fixed until Blizzard releases a fix.

DO NOT SAVE ANY MAPS YOU HAVE BEEN WORKING ON WITH THE 1.31 EDITOR WITHOUT MAKING SEVERAL BACKUPS FIRST AS THE DAMAGE TO THE TOOLTIPS IS IRREVERSIBLE.

Maps saved 1.28 < using Chinese editor or other old tech and converted to work under 1.3+ still work for some unknown reason. Our team is still investigating on as to why or about finding alternative solutions in case Blizzard never fixes this.

Level 6
Even with the 999 strings defined, how can you even work on your map if WE just randomly crashes, not to mention in game tests? They really have to fix this quick.

Ironically the new 1.31 natives (+ save as file system folder feature) they added allows to reduce the work required in the world editor considerably. Too bad its FUBAR atm.

I don't understand why they can't just revert back to the old patch the day after, are they that afraid to report failure to the Activision Exces? Any other sane company will give you an extension if you explain your case properly. Just quit your job of that's not the case man... You're gonna get fired anyway.

Level 3
I've seen a comment a few pages ago saying that having the map in Documents/Wacraft 3/Maps folder and then opening the map in World Editor to work with it should stop the tooltip bug from happening. So far I've had a backup corrupted by not doing that, but now I've kept the map in the folder while working and no map-breaking bugs or crashes happened so far. Although to be fair I save very very often now just in case.

Level 6
I've seen a comment a few pages ago saying that having the map in Documents/Wacraft 3/Maps folder and then opening the map in World Editor to work with it should stop the tooltip bug from happening.

This appears to work for some but not others. Even if this works for you I advise extreme caution as you can never be sure if it truly "works" or maybe its still messing with some strings at the background without your attention. I've had it appear working for units but abilities/buffs were still messed up.

They can be played, I meant if they were not saved with 1.31. Some actually bug regardless.

Yes, why some maps are broken retroactively why some aren't is the real question here.

We have a test case of 2 nearly identical maps with nearly identical string count. One in Chinese but saved under 1.28 (date: 2019-2-19, converted using unknown means at the moment), other's in English which is a derivative* version using the same "base" (code,terrain,units), but saved under 1.3 editor (not 1.31). The Chinese one apparently works without flaws while the English vers is broken retroactively.

*(technically Chinese vers is a derivative of ours, but not relevant)

Level 6
This is false. Maps saved in 1.3+ with over 999 strings defined (tooltips, unit names, etc) are broken retroactively and cannot be fixed until Blizzard releases a fix.

DO NOT SAVE ANY MAPS YOU HAVE BEEN WORKING ON WITH THE 1.31 EDITOR WITHOUT MAKING SEVERAL BACKUPS FIRST AS THE DAMAGE TO THE TOOLTIPS IS IRREVERSIBLE.

Maps saved 1.28 < using Chinese editor or other old tech and converted to work under 1.3+ still work for some unknown reason. Our team is still investigating on as to why or about finding alternative solutions in case Blizzard never fixes this.

I have been told that working With jaso new gen allows u to save without the strong corruption and also use custom tile Pathing without problem. Could you check that? Maybe the answer is there.

Level 6
I have been told that working With jaso new gen allows u to save without the strong corruption and also use custom tile Pathing without problem. Could you check that? Maybe the answer is there.

Problem is that WE-newgen is pretty dead in terms what it can do and what warcraft versions it supports, our hopes for an alternative editor now rest on Sharpcraft. I will try to reinstall JNGP and use it with some old wc3 but I'll give Blizzard 1 more week before searching for alternatives.

Not really related but, NewGen WE also contains steep hills elevation (like almost 90 degree steep instead of the smooth bell curve hills) which the current WE seems to lack (or does it?).

At any rate, THANKS BLIZZARD, FOR KILLING NEW GEN-WE, I BET YOU WISH IT STILL EXISTED NOW SO YOU CAN COVER YOUR TRACKS ON THIS DEBACLE. HOPE THAT MURDER-OP WAS WORTH IT.

Sharpcraft
Sharpcraft is also dead since its developer joined Blizzard. He's one of the people working on the official World Editor.
Although IIRC it's open source so anyone could continue development.

At any rate, THANKS BLIZZARD, FOR KILLING NEW GEN-WE, I BET YOU WISH IT STILL EXISTED NOW SO YOU CAN COVER YOUR TRACKS ON THIS DEBACLE. HOPE THAT MURDER-OP WAS WORTH IT.
I don't think this tone or attitude are constructive at all. Assuming any ill will or malicious intent is just plain silly, because Blizzard has nothing to gain from it, only customers to lose.
We should give the team actually working on these updates the benefit of the doubt and give them some credit for the awesome updates we're getting.
The problems with the latest patch are at best an honest mistake, and at worst the result of deadlines and/or lack of time/resources imposed by the company.

Last edited:
Level 6
Assuming any ill will or malicious intent is just plain silly [...]

I wasn't assuming mal-intent. In fact assuming mal-intent would be a compliment to Blizzard for a rather skillful execution of killing their own game for some new world order reason. (Edit: killing New-Gen was definitely not an innocent "oopsie" move, though, so IDK what you were referring to)

But no. Never ascribe maliciousness where incompetence or stupidity would suffice. Hanlon's Razor.

And no, the problems with the latest patch is as much of a honest mistake as a drunk driver getting caught for the 3rd time in the same week. They have screwed us over several times in the past with these patches. One can say "Enough is enough", but they have us by the balls and can do pretty much whatever they want.

Last edited:
Level 6
I wasn't assuming mal-intent. In fact assuming mal-intent would be a compliment to Blizzard for a rather skillful execution of killing their own game for some new world order reason.

But no. Never ascribe maliciousness where incompetence or stupidity would suffice. Hanlon's Razor.

And no, the problems with the latest patch is as much of a honest mistake as a drunk driver getting caught for the 3rd time in the same week. They have screwed us over several times in the past with these patches. One can say "Enough is enough", but they have us by the balls and can do pretty much whatever they want.

Exactly. Is like here in Spain, a famous football player has died (and killed his cousin) in a car accident, cause he was driving... At 237 Km/h, the double of the max. And it was not the first time he did it... And all people saying "oh what a terrible accident, fuck fate, what bad luck, poor guy", WTF? It was his fault, he is better dead, at least he wont do it again risking inocent lives and maybe crashing against another car and killing someone else.

Blizzard is doing the same, patch after patch without proper control, without proper testings, without the right work on it, just throwing it to our faces hoping it wont crash. If they were an indie small company or their first time, you could say "oh what a terrible accident, fuck fate, what bad luck, poor developers". But NO. They are a massive company with a lot of exp, they know how things should do, other thing is they want to do it correctly. I dont say they want to do it bad, but they just dont want to put enough money and time to do it right at first try.

Level 6
By the way, to make this absolutely clear: In case any Blizzard dev is reading my harsh words, know that I do not hate you personally. I know that whatever circumstances you are facing you must face alone, and whatever happened was probably outside your direct control.

But here is why you are where you are, by malice, stupidity, or greed:

Blizzard ->
1) Killed the standard editor/tools available and been in use for over 10 years now (JNGP/NewGen), promising to quickly replace them and we are still waiting. Standard procedure is to offer replacement first and then deprecate old tools, not the other way around.

2) Proceeded by a refusal to provide backward compatibility "save-as old map" feature for any old maps after updates they release to editor, based on a clause that "blizzard does not directly support the editor" - probably corporate greed to save some quick $ on developing this feature. This would have saved you from nearly ALL the flak you faced and are still facing.

3) Back-dropped what appears to be a reckless merging of code from Netease wc3 codebase, and even more reckless merging of experimental features such as Dx11, CASC, cloud map hosting, and the list goes on. Are all of these risks really necessary to sell war3 reforged? Who signs off on this type of major technology/ framework changes? its almost like Microsoft waking up one day and ninja changing Windows to Linux, but keeping the UI the same... Sure its better and memes, but imagine the crapstorm that follows the nanosecond after people realise what really happened.

Edit->
And lastly, why the hate train will increase until you or your managers stop it
4) Used and IS STILL USING people who bought the game 10+ years ago at retail price, and were happily using it as it was (v1.26 and lower), as "testers" for your new features, because "bugs are to be expected", after all... All that so that war3 reforged can come out smoothly, and we can pay full price for it again. You're ruining our game we have been playing for 10+ years now (bought and paid for fully), so that you can profit and earn a salary, and the suits at Activision can tickle the investors with some shiny charts.

Last edited:
a famous football player has died (and killed his cousin) in a car accident
Wow, are you actually comparing updates to an old computer game to the deaths of two people? Get some perspective...

Edit: killing New-Gen was definitely not an innocent "oopsie" move, though
I'm pretty sure they're just not bothering to support third-party software they have no affiliation to... again, why would they do that on purpose? Isn't it more likely that they're simply not interested in investing time and effort into supporting this sporadically updated tool with several versions and no clear and easy way to contact its developers?

I really feel like you're failing to differentiate between the people actually working on the game, and the company as a whole. Obviously the company (CEOs, managers, people like that) is driven only by short term profits and lacks any knowledge or insight to make the decisions they're imposing on the development team (and probably doesn't care either).
The developers IMO deserve to be given the benefit of the doubt, seeing as they're probably working within constraints beyond their control with insufficient time, resources, and people to do their job in a satisfactory manner. Some of them are long time community members from this very site who have contributed a lot (case in point: Sharpcraft), so there's no doubt that they're passionate about this game and want the best for it.

So by all means, piss on Activision/Blizzard; like any huge corporation they don't give a fuck about their customers or anything else except the bottom line.
But IMO the classics team deserves support and sympathy, they're doing their best.

edit: as to your last post, I think "differentiate between the people actually working on the game, and the company as a whole" again applies.

edit: to clarify, I think the developers are stuck between their passion and ambitions for the game on the one hand, and the constraints and objectives imposed by their employers. This is not an enviable position to be in. As for Activision/Blizzard creating the circumstances for all this to happen... hey, welcome to the real world, huge multinational corporations tend to do this...

Last edited:
By the way, to make this absolutely clear: In case any Blizzard dev is reading my harsh words, know that I do not hate you personally. I know that whatever circumstances you are facing you must face alone, and whatever happened was probably outside your direct control.

But here is why you are where you are, by malice, stupidity, or greed:

Blizzard ->
1) Killed the standard editor/tools available and been in use for over 10 years now (JNGP/NewGen), promising to quickly replace them and we are still waiting. Standard procedure is to offer replacement first and then deprecate old tools, not the other way around.

2) Proceeded by a refusal to provide backward compatibility "save-as old map" feature for any old maps after updates they release to editor, based on a clause that "blizzard does not directly support the editor" - probably corporate greed to save some quick $ on developing this feature. This would have saved you from nearly ALL the flak you faced and are still facing.

3) Back-dropped what appears to be a reckless merging of code from Netease wc3 codebase, and even more reckless merging of experimental features such as Dx11, CASC, cloud map hosting, and the list goes on. Are all of these risks really necessary to sell war3 reforged? Who signs off on this type of major technology/ framework changes? its almost like Microsoft waking up one day and ninja changing Windows to Linux, but keeping the UI the same... Sure its better and memes, but imagine the crapstorm that follows the nanosecond after people realise what really happened.

Edit->
And lastly, why the hate train will increase until you or your managers stop it
4) Used and IS STILL USING people who bought the game 10+ years ago at retail price, and were happily using it as it was (v1.26 and lower), as "testers" for your new features, because "bugs are to be expected", after all... All that so that war3 reforged can come out smoothly, and we can pay full price for it again. You're ruining our game we have been playing for 10+ years now (bought and paid for fully), so that you can profit and earn a salary, and the suits at Activision can tickle the investors with some shiny charts.
Your words might feel harsh for them but trut never lies, and what you are stating are the facts.

Level 6
Wow, are you actually comparing updates to an old computer game to the deaths of two people? Get some perspective...

Jajaja, ofc not. Im just saying 2 situations in which people say "poor one, bad luck" when it was its fault. Its really clear that i care much more about the game update, he was not my friend or family so... :D

Now being serious. i think some people is blaming Blizzard too much, i dont care if they fucked external editors, they had improved A LOT their WE in last patches: more doodads, more filesize, open ports in btnet,... It has been awesome, much better than some clunky extra programs. BUT that caused that now "all the resposanbility is on their shoulders", before u could use different tools, now WE is great, but is THE editor. So if they fuck it their mistake is much worse.

I just hope they can finally fix WE properly and we could still use it, since they had done a great job with it.

BTW, have anyone around here noticed that new WE is like... Ugly? I mean, when i opened it, everything looked much more... Pixeled? Like worse resolution, a lot worse graphics, idk why.

Level 6
I really feel[...]

I respect your opinion, but also think it is invalid, especially parts where you criticise me directly. But I don't want to argue my defence here, as it will derail the topic. We would have to agree to disagree.

But yeah, trashing Activision is a holy affair. One of the 4 horsemen of Video Gaming and a blight on the industry.

Jajaja, ofc not. Im just saying 2 situations in which people say "poor one, bad luck" when it was its fault. Its really clear that i care much more about the game update, he was not my friend or family so... :D
sorry, I overreacted a bit xD

BTW, have anyone around here noticed that new WE is like... Ugly? I mean, when i opened it, everything looked much more... Pixeled? Like worse resolution, a lot worse graphics, idk why.
Haven't noticed this. Maybe somehow it's running in a different resolution on your pc?

edit:
I respect your opinion, but also think it is invalid, especially parts where you criticise me directly. But I don't want to argue my defence here, as it will derail the topic. We would have to agree to disagree.
Didn't mean to criticise you directly, sorry if it came off that way. It's fine to disagree, I respect your opinion too.

But yeah, trashing Activision is a holy affair. One of the 4 horsemen of Video Gaming and a blight on the industry.
100%
Blizzard being acquired by Activision was definitely a bad deal for the gamers (even though Blizzard had been on a decline for a while before that).

Last edited:
Level 6
Dont be mean guys. 1.31 fucked the game and moved everything, maybe he couldnt find where new we was placed. Chill. We are here to help With the doubts, no to harass the questioners

Status
Not open for further replies.