• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft 3 1.28 Pre-patch PSA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
So by your logic the internet should be removed. We already had unlimited file size limit through the use of a edited file or custom MPQ's and/or local files/folders. They've done nothing so far besides make WC3 worst last year, hopefully that isn't the case this year.

Since the file size limit seems to be a big deal then what are they doing for the maps over 128MB? They're still playable on B.net/multiplayer however that isn't thanks to Blizzard. We have only lost feature's, maybe hashtables were a nice addition however we already had whatever those offered and they're even slower then what we already had. They didn't give us anything that could be even considered equal or close replacement to what they stole/patched away. So many varieties of possibility were there yet many didn't know how too achieve them back then, now there is quite a lot unlocked for the public.

What about the people who, unlike you, don't WANT to play B.net with those extra files/edits because they've always been afraid Blizzard will ban them for it? Why the hell haven't you considered what this means for THOSE people?

Seriously, it looks like you're just looking for any reason to complain at this point.

Thursday already and still no news... 1stQ 2017? Running out of time, m8.

Patience is a virtue!

Level 6
What about the people who, unlike you, don't WANT to play B.net with those extra files/edits because they've always been afraid Blizzard will ban them for it? Why the hell haven't you considered what this means for THOSE people?

Seriously, it looks like you're just looking for any reason to complain at this point.

Patience is a virtue!

Well, I don't see Blizzard releasing a huge patch (because it looks like it's gonna be huge) at friday, blocking the support for two days.

Patience is a virtue!

I have considered them in my maps, instead of seeing invisible models they'll see regular WC3 ones. If they want to play under the limit then they'll still be able to play however will be lacking a few feature's such as better graphics as well music/sounds. Not a single problem for people who don't want to have a better gameplay experience, they can still play properly if the mapmaker knows what they're doing. Those people might eventually have to quit WC3 anyways due to nobody to play with if Blizzard takes out bots however so far those people haven't got anything new technically and have lost some feature's to eventually play with already.

No, I am looking for any opening I get to help Blizzard make less mistakes.

Level 7
I have considered them in my maps, instead of seeing invisible models they'll see regular WC3 ones. If they want to play under the limit then they'll still be able to play however will be lacking a few feature's such as better graphics as well music/sounds. Not a single problem for people who don't want to have a better gameplay experience, they can still play properly if the mapmaker knows what they're doing. Those people might eventually have to quit WC3 anyways due to nobody to play with if Blizzard takes out bots however so far those people haven't got anything new technically and have lost some feature's to eventually play with already.

No, I am looking for any opening I get to help Blizzard make less mistakes.

You didn't even begin to answer my question.

You didn't even begin to answer my question.
I'd prefer not to quote myself so I will toss you a link instead for direction. Warcraft 3 1.28 Pre-patch PSA

Besides what has already been typed/said and done... What else could there be? Shouldn't fear a company whos game you enjoy, worst thing would be having to spend another 10 dollars or so which would suck however those people wouldn't be banned to begin with as they wouldn't be using anything that can be detected that modifies the game unfairly otherwise they wouldn't be afraid and would know what they're doing unless of course they tried to follow some random guide from google. Asking for instructions/guides on how to do stuff is a good start to answering your question for others, luckily this site is an awesome place for that.

So now I think I should ask what about the people that can no longer make their maps that would of been easily possible before but now have lost so much that the gameplay and other parts of it have been damaged so much that it is becoming something different then intended? I know memory bug needed to be mostly patched however their is so many vulnerabilities they'll never be able to "patch" yet they usually decide on taking most of the features also known as harmless "bugs" away without offering much reason why besides for the obvious Blizzard as usual.

Edit: It's up to the player base to try to save a game they enjoy from destruction because as usual barely anything is known which is usually a bad sign from a game making company so that means the only thing left to do until the patch happens is to complain and hope to be heard because only waiting won't help anyone.

Edit2: Blizzard is like a bullet train, it goes so fast in only one direction and very rarely does it ever go backwards or stop while in motion. Once something is "patched" it stays that way and that is very bad in a game that relies on modding.

Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Looks like I better save my custom Troll-filled MPQ, lol. xD

This topic has gone to incredible lengths, and while it's tempting, I simply don't have the time to nitpick each & every injustice. However, let me say I am generally excited for what's going on, & more than willing to wait for more good news. I must, also, strike something down:
@DracoL1ch
... Sure you can call Kam community leader or whatever, but in fact he isn't mapper. He doesnt know what mapmakers need. ...
It's fine to have opinions. It's fine to strut them about. Many of us may not like your pessimism, but we don't have to. What we can and should expect is a modicum of respect & a baseline of research; I categorically denounce this statement as scurrilous libel. Even a cursory look at his giant freaking signature banner would reveal that not only is @Kam a mapper... He's an active mapper with a finished product that he is continually updating even in recent months! How many of us can say that? Not me... Can you?

I think it's abundantly evident that Kam knows a thing or two about Wc3 modding & the Hive community in general, and all his conduct to this point has been to it's benefit. So please, back off.

Level 19
He's an active mapper with a finished product that he is continually updating even in recent months! How many of us can say that? Not me... Can you?
well, I mostly meant "coder". he's using GUI therefore he's not even nearly understand what does mapper (coder) really needs, those who push wc3 forward with amazing creations. No, I was talking about YouTD this time. Dota's code is simple and awful at many places, yet there's diamonds. Which had hard way getting good just because wc3 is fucking outdated. If devs do not love mapmakers, well, that's how games dies normally anyway

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
well, I mostly meant "coder". he's using GUI therefore he's not even nearly understand what does mapper (coder) really needs, those who push wc3 forward with amazing creations. No, I was talking about YouTD this time. Dota's code is simple and awful at many places, yet there's diamonds. Which had hard way getting good just because wc3 is fucking outdated. If devs do not love mapmakers, well, that's how games dies normally anyway
Well then. A literal example of "moving the goal-posts", and a short-sighted one at that. Geez.

Bottom line: Coders are merely one part of what it is to be a 'mapper'/'modder'. They've got needs & wants, just like everyone else; get in line. If you don't feel the wishlist discussed with Blizzard covers your needs and/or the needs of "true mappers" (i.e. coders), then you should take that up with them. But it appears your issue is more in believing that it was discussed, believing that they actually care, and believing that their concern will be motivating them in the coming weeks/months/years to make such proposed changes.

Level 19
aha, I see. Tell me how many maps EpicWar has, and how many of titles you actually know or plays weekly. Just to see what different "mapper" from "coder". Mapper can think of good concept but will never implement it due to how hard is to code. Coder wise versa. You can surely pleasure those "turtle rock copy-paste" mapmakers. But I doubt you'll ever play those. Until you see the difference there's no point to talk about it with you.
And im in the line, for a year already. Im patient guy

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
aha, I see. Tell me how many maps EpicWar has, and how many of titles you actually know or plays weekly. Just to see what different "mapper" from "coder". Mapper can think of good concept but will never implement it due to how hard is to code. Coder wise versa. You can surely pleasure those "turtle rock copy-paste" mapmakers. But I doubt you'll ever play those. Until you see the difference there's no point to talk about it with you.
And im in the line, for a year already. Im patient guy
I'm not sure I follow your rambling train of thought here.

I'm not trying to draw any comparisons to other communities, or whatever. I'm just going on a basic definition of terms. Can we agree that a "mapper" is someone who... 'maps' (i.e. "makes custom maps (i.e. scenarios, campaigns, games, maps, etc)")? A "coder" is someone who 'codes' (i.e. creates triggers & what-not (either via GUI or writing actual code with (v)Jass or whatever))... And so forth. All "coders" are, usually, also "mappers". Most, if not all "mappers", must at least begin to work with "code" to do what they do. There's plenty of overlap, though I'll admit there are those who do only one or the other (i.e. "coders" who simply code spells & systems & stuff; don't actually "map").

You said "he doesn't map/not a mapper". I unequivocally proved you wrong. You rephrased yourself, claiming that you meant "coders". I don't have the same proof for that one (his Tides of Darkness map is locked), but from everything I've seen he's at least a capable "coder" as well. That is all.

Level 2
I've just downloaded 1.28 and there are font glitches XD for ( Polish ver.) and had a trouble becaus ei had custom files in my w3 folder and it couldn't finish migrating...

Level 2
Tons of font bugs, can't change brightness, can't open options in the main menu. Nice, Blizzard!

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
can't change brightness
WC3 never had the ability to change brightness... Cannot lose something it never had!

can't open options in the main menu
Use regedit to delete all WC3 settings while WC3 is closed. WC3 will rebuild those registry keys next time it is run. It seems invalid ones cause the options menu to crash.

Level 2
WC3 never had the ability to change brightness... Cannot lose something it never had!
Can't change gamma (which directly translates to how bright things are on the screen, but thanks for being on guard for meaningless mistakes).

Use regedit to delete all WC3 settings while WC3 is closed. WC3 will rebuild those registry keys next time it is run. It seems invalid ones cause the options menu to crash.
How about I don't tinker with my operating system's sensitive components just because Blizzard Entertainment can't patch their own games properly? And it didn't work anyways.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Can't change gamma (which directly translates to how bright things are on the screen, but thanks for being on guard for meaningless mistakes).
Gamma does not change how bright things are. It changes the lighting response in a non linear way... Black is still the same black and white the same white no matter the value of gamma, unlike brightness which changes those.

Yes it can make an image look brighter, but that is a side effect of gamma altering the average intensity of component values.

How about I don't tinker with my operating system's sensitive components just because Blizzard Entertainment can't patch their own games properly? And it didn't work anyways.
You are tinkering with a program's data and not the operating system's. If it still crashes try reinstalling WC3. If it still crashes then, possibly your graphic driver is exposing a mode that WC3 cannot handle displaying in the options?

There is that option.Please go check Warcraft 3 settings again.
Check again, no brightness. Only gamma which has nothing to do with brightness or contrast.

Last edited:
Level 2
Yes it can make an image look brighter
Thanks for admitting my point.

Gamma does not change how bright things are.
Now you are contradicting yourself?

An image is a thing, thus if gamma correction can make an image brighter, it can make 'things' brighter.
The nature of our quarrel here lies in semantics. I mentioned brightness as it is understood in common sense, and you for some reason suddenly decided that we're talking about brightness as it is understood in color theory, even though it was obvious that it wasn't what I meant. But hey, anything to look smart!

If it still crashes try reinstalling WC3
It doesn't crash. The menu scrolls upwards into infinity, never to come back.
I wasn't even able to get it running without reinstalling, actually, as it kept prompting me to insert the (long gone) cd because of apparent lack of the cd-key. So I had to download both installers and install it again to even get it running.

I'm not interested in wasting time fixing what Blizzard fucked up by myself just because they can't run a patch in a testing environment first to see what will it break. I just felt the need to express how little regard I have for these twits here. I'd rather prefer getting my money back at this point.

R.I.P. Warcraft 3

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Now you are contradicting yourself?
No I am not.

An image is a thing, thus if gamma correction can make an image brighter, it can make 'things' brighter.
So could potentially negating (making a negative) an image if the components of an image are on average less than half maximum intensity. Still does not make it a "brightness" setting as brightness adjustment is neither gamma or negation.

The reason the option exists was to allow for improved compatibility with displays that have unusual gamma response curve such as old Mac computers and some CRTs. The setting should really be removed now as all consumer displays, even HDR ones, follow sRGB standards and WC3 clearly is not designed to have any form of gamma colour space correction applied.

I'm not interested in wasting time fixing what Blizzard fucked up by myself just because they can't run a patch in a testing environment first to see what will it break. I just felt the need to express how little regard I have for these twits here. I'd rather prefer getting my money back at this point.
Options work fine for me. Probably also worked fine on their test rig.

Level 21
Warcraft works fine on my end, no idea what you mean @Kering.

So far it seems that just Newgen needs compatibility with the new structure.

Level 2
No I am not.

So could potentially negating (making a negative) an image if the components of an image are on average less than half maximum intensity. Still does not make it a "brightness" setting as brightness adjustment is neither gamma or negation.

Options work fine for me. Probably also worked fine on their test rig.
How convenient, ignoring the whole point of me talking about brightness as it is understood in common sense and you incorrectly assuming that I'm talking about brightness as it is understood in color theory.
Also, I quoted two of your contradicting statements one after another. You can't just say "No, I'm not" in response to that.

I hope you'll understand when I refuse to argue with you any longer.

Level 1
Hello all, i'm french and i'm sorry if i don't speak english very well.

I play warcraft III Frozen Throne with the new patch 1.28 and i have very big problem : my screen during the game is extremely dark and i can't change the gamma control in the panel setting.
This problem make me crazy !

What can i do ? please help me or i die !

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Hello all, i'm french and i'm sorry if i don't speak english very well.

I play warcraft III Frozen Throne with the new patch 1.28 and i have very big problem : my screen during the game is extremely dark and i can't change the gamma control in the panel setting.
This problem make me crazy !

What can i do ? please help me or i die !
Run Warcraft 3 with -nativefullscr OR change it in your AMD Catalyst/NVidia Control Panel/Intel HD Graphics Control Panel, whatever solution you use.

Edit: Also I guess you could change your monitor brightness if those other two seem too difficult.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Also, I quoted two of your contradicting statements one after another. You can't just say "No, I'm not" in response to that.

I generally agree with your points, and definitely agree with your presentation. However, if we're going into semantics & such, I must point out that the "two contradicting statements" you quoted weren't quite contradictory, read in context.

Gamma does not change how bright things are. It changes the lighting response in a non linear way... Black is still the same black and while the same white no matter the value of gamma, unlike brightness which changes those.

Yes it can make an image look brighter, but that is a side effect of gamma altering the average intensity of component values.
So according to DSG, it can make things look brighter, but cannot change how bright things 'are'. Now, whether there's more than a semantical difference between "looking" and "being" brighter... Ah dannae. : )

Level 1
Run Warcraft 3 with -nativefullscr OR change it in your AMD Catalyst/NVidia Control Panel/Intel HD Graphics Control Panel, whatever solution you use.

Edit: Also I guess you could change your monitor brightness if those other two seem too difficult.

Thank you for your answer Jondrean but i don't know how i can run Warcraft 3 with native full screen. Can you explain me ?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Thank you for your answer Jondrean but i don't know how i can run Warcraft 3 with native full screen. Can you explain me ?
Add the -nativefullscr flag to the command line of a shortcut.

EG: Target: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Warcraft III\Frozen Throne.exe" -nativefullscr

When run from that shortcut the game will be in exclusive fullscreen mode.

Level 2
I generally agree with your points, and definitely agree with your presentation. However, if we're going into semantics & such, I must point out that the "two contradicting statements" you quoted weren't quite contradictory, read in context.
Weren't if we followed Dr Super Good's logic, were if we followed mine. He responded to me, so the context arose from my post. The context where "brightness" is how bright, in the common sense, the image displayed on the screen is, not where it's a property like in the color theory. I'm no expert on color theory or semantics, but I am pretty sure that in that context what he wrote was, if not contradicting itself, just irrelevant to that context.

I get where you're going and you'd be quite right if not the fact that if he's responding to someone he's kind of obliged to follow the context and not make up his own. It was obvious what I meant. He tried correcting me irrelevantly anyways. That was pointless. End of story.

To add something besides off-top to the thread:

I haven't found any solution to the game freezing on entering the settings.
Nobody else seems to have, either, and I found 3 other people's posts mentioning that problem.

Level 1
Add the -nativefullscr flag to the command line of a shortcut.

EG: Target: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Warcraft III\Frozen Throne.exe" -nativefullscr

When run from that shortcut the game will be in exclusive fullscreen mode.

Edit : Ok it work, but i am in dual screen and during the game, my mouse can go to the second screen (and return to the windows when i click in the desk on the second screen)

How i can resolve this problem ?

Last edited:
Level 14
Aaaaand heeeereeee weee....Go!
Another game breaking patch that wasnt propelt tested!
-Settings cannot be accessed causing infinite hang after clicking the button.
-custom campaigns manu text is broken and shows node names(atleast in Polish version)
Also if you removed gamma settings(cannot verify cuz i can open settings at all). Re-add it. There is no reason to remove such setting, i dont want to mess around with my laptops display to get what game could set. Removing features that dont need to be removed and are of a use is just stupid.

I had no time to test more of stuff yet, i will do so when i'm back at home. Tho i seen loading hangs and other thing on bnet forums.
For love of mankind test your stuff before release. Also huge No to Bnet 2.0 just because of how strict map upload policies are. Its like you would delete 99% of Gmod's workshop. I doubt maps like BFME, GoT maps or anything else that is based on some feanchise would thrive in this system.

Also getting your opinions as proof and excuse to ban creativity of community is not really a way to go Super Good. That's actualy dissapointing to hear that feom such major member of hive. You're not one to determine what is of quality for all of us by yourself, you have neither right to or basis to. Take auote by Gabe Newell that someone already quoted here - to yourself, it pin points that perfectly.

To claasic games team
Do not break the bots unless we get exacly the same service but officially with nothing in the way, if this isnt possible leave it to community and dont dare to break it.
Fix what you' ve broke, add that of what we want and you can do.
Dont force anything that noone of us wants or needs. The wishlists are veeery long, take your time,but Test Your Updates prioe to release, so mishaps like .dlls missing from last years 1.27a, removal of few features.

Of other things i could name LAN seems to be broken since 1.27b, i mean actual LAN not gameranger. It seized to show games on exacly same setups.

Good luck fixin and workin on it. Just dont forget to test carefully each update you push out guys,and communicate,tell us what are you up to.

EDIT: On good note, i like new icons for folders and saves, it seems taht map count icon gears and other types are also in higher resolution, but sadly there is far more important stuff that got broken - Loads of text is broken and shows raw data instead of gui text in game, Types of AI, Handicap procentages, Custom Campaigns and data regarding them inside this menu. Bnet tournment text, clan tab, parts of profile info, few buttons for engaging melee game and filter button in Custom games are also victims to that aswell. I'm playing on polish version of Warcraft III
EDIT2: Chat messages about players joing and leaving are also invisible like AI types.

Last edited:
Level 1
Hello, can u help me ?

Today WC automaticly updated to version 1,28 and after I run the game, I got this message: User Data Migration Required - War 3 needs to change the location of your saved data. When i click on OK, game frozen and program stop working.

Any tips please?

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Edit : Ok it work, but i am in dual screen and during the game, my mouse can go to the second screen (and return to the windows when i click in the desk on the second screen)

How i can resolve this problem ?
Are you sure it's happening during the game? Mouse clamping should be in effect while in-game and not when in menus.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Any tips please?
Give it about 10 minutes. It will hang at 0 percent for a while but should eventually advance. It requires moving all maps from your install folder to a user folder which might take some time, especially if installed on a separate partition from where user profiles are stored.

If not then reinstall the game.

Level 1
Give it about 10 minutes. It will hang at 0 percent for a while but should eventually advance. It requires moving all maps from your install folder to a user folder which might take some time, especially if installed on a separate partition from where user profiles are stored.

If not then reinstall the game.

Ah.. Thank you. And how can I fix screen resolution ? Is it still possible to have 1920x1080 or not ?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Ah.. Thank you. And how can I fix screen resolution ? Is it still possible to have 1920x1080 or not ?
You disable fixed aspect ratio. Mind you it will result in highly distorted visuals as only the text scales properly with everything else being stretched from 4:3 to 16:9. For this reason it is recommended to play with fixed aspect ratio, so icons are square and units do not seem fat.

Eventually they might add 16:9 support, but that would have to be a later patch.

Level 32
You are one of the bad blizzard stupid developers? Otherwise, why would you want to protect them?
I'm not protecting anyone. I'm just answering your question.

Did you want an answer or did you just want me blindly join your cause? Because I gave you and answer so you can understand, but instead you're just repeating "bad blizzard stupid" and accusing me of whatever.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Bad blizzard stupid developers can't test patch before release?
You want something like PTR, or?

Make a thread suggesting it here, they'll most certainly read it even if you received no blue answer.

Level 32
You protecting blizzard developers. Every patch added new problems and resolve only part of previous problems.
No? I literally just gave an answer to your question and that's it. I never said to stop hating Blizzard, anything to protect Blizzard, or anything of the likes. I honestly don't care about if you like them or not.

A lot of us explained multiple times in addition to the patch notes of what it's about, the details, and why it was needed. But if you ignore that, then of course you'll think that.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Blizzard developers publicly promised to solve the problem with big CPU usage (low FPS), they did it?

They promised to fix FPS in 127c or 128a.

For example hpbars not optimized and uses a lot of CPU, even on invulnerable(without hp bar) units.
The entire graphic system is poorly optimized by todays standards as it was written for D3D8/OpenGL fixed function pipelines. It is not something they can fix without raising the minimum system requirements.

For example each 4*4 terrain tile chunk needs dozens of API calls (expensive). There is also a limit of 8 lights per fragment bunch (7 if you exclude the global environment light).

Status
Not open for further replies.