• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Shattering

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Have been a while everyone...
I did this map last night. I was trying to made a Kezan map but hearing Cataclysm OST I found inspiration to do this 1v1 melee map. After review I think I'll use it for the next contest. I hope you get much fun as I did creating it. Try to play it listeing Cataclysm OST too.

Update 02/03/2021: added more trees. Improved heroes and fixed creep camp.
Contents

The Shattering (Map)

Reviews
deepstrasz
The description doesn't say much about the map itself but about why it was made. The edits are very subtle for this to be considered altered melee. It's basically replaced neutral camps with neutral heroes and other non-usual units from the game...
Level 15
Played this with a friend twice, our first moments creep clearing we were surprised to find creep heroes guarding the neutral buildings, which made the creeps feel varied. The later part of both matches devolved quickly into dragon spamming, but with how fun the ensuing chaos was, I think that it was a good thing! Also the little detail of snow coming off of the lava in the center was pretty nifty, it does look a lot like ash.

Level 26
Welp, I did take a look. probably gonna talk more about a melee balance and what you must do.
must:
1. never use a random level drop of item like permanent 3-6 random drop in the same list or even charge-permanent else you know what you are doing.
2. doodads gap and trees.
3. camp aggro

other:
4. terrain path broken. between red base and lab click 'P' and you will see that there is a path you can't walk on. +cliff broken
5. trees starve [under 180]
6. units camp status. some are blue and some are normal...what? Expo should set as 600 and other should be 200 unless you know what you are doing like i say before.
7. blight terrain...
8. narrow path every where.

addition:
8. why use all mech units at lab camp? first problem is that these guy never drop the corpse disadvantage for UD, also no range or medium armor creep? maybe that was my taste but hmm...
9. every dragon roost have a different. If I remember it right bronze dragon and black dragon do more dmg to the air unit than other dragon. fire and green have strong dmg. blue had slow. and there are something to do about splash dmg which I'm not sure. Go check Knecht wiki book. In short, very unbalance dragon roost choice[to who ever the closet].
10. why shipyard when lab is easier and safer to get? weird.
11. critter choice...

I guess that's not too many :vw_sleep:

Level 15
Welp, I did take a look. probably gonna talk more about a melee balance and what you must do.
must:
1. never use a random level drop of item like permanent 3-6 random drop in the same list or even charge-permanent else you know what you are doing.
2. doodads gap and trees.
3. camp aggro

other:
4. terrain path broken. between red base and lab click 'P' and you will see that there is a path you can't walk on. +cliff broken
5. trees starve [under 180]
6. units camp status. some are blue and some are normal...what? Expo should set as 600 and other should be 200 unless you know what you are doing like i say before.
7. blight terrain...
8. narrow path every where.

addition:
8. why use all mech units at lab camp? first problem is that these guy never drop the corpse disadvantage for UD, also no range or medium armor creep? maybe that was my taste but hmm...
9. every dragon roost have a different. If I remember it right bronze dragon and black dragon do more dmg to the air unit than other dragon. fire and green have strong dmg. blue had slow. and there are something to do about splash dmg which I'm not sure. Go check Knecht wiki book. In short, very unbalance dragon roost choice[to who ever the closet].
10. why shipyard when lab is easier and safer to get? weird.
11. critter choice...

I guess that's not too many :vw_sleep:

1) Any suggestion about how should I fix the drops? Just set one list?
2) I didn't add more doodads 'cause the short terrain, however if you have any suggestions I'll be glad to add it. I know about the tree starve, but that was part of the idea of the map and an incentive to buy the shredders and get them faster or even develop more the expansion.
3) fixed. ty
4) fixed. ty
5) not fixed. lol.
6) fixed. ty
7-8) the earth is dying! is the shattering! XD
9) both players get access to all the dragons, but keep control of them is the nest is the challenge. also, the powerful items that the boss drop is also another incentive to creep clean red camps faster. Deathwing (the black dragon at the center) has the most powerful item (soul orb).
10) I know! XD the annoying dragon turtle is really hard in early! I will fix it! The idea is to rush with ships, cause zeps take longer to be ready.
11) Just for fun! XD I get bored of ogres and trolls also, they match with the theme of the map: elements are angry!

Anyway, tysm for the full review! <3 n_n/

Level 15
Played this with a friend twice, our first moments creep clearing we were surprised to find creep heroes guarding the neutral buildings, which made the creeps feel varied. The later part of both matches devolved quickly into dragon spamming, but with how fun the ensuing chaos was, I think that it was a good thing! Also the little detail of snow coming off of the lava in the center was pretty nifty, it does look a lot like ash.

I'm so glad to read that you and your friend enjoy it! XD I'll keep improving it! stay on pal! n_n/ and ty for play it! <3

Level 26
1) Any suggestion about how should I fix the drops? Just set one list?
2) I didn't add more doodads 'cause the short terrain, however if you have any suggestions I'll be glad to add it. I know about the tree starve, but that was part of the idea of the map and an incentive to buy the shredders and get them faster or even develop more the expansion.
3) fixed. ty
4) fixed. ty
5) not fixed. lol.
6) fixed. ty
7-8) the earth is dying! is the shattering! XD
9) both players get access to all the dragons, but keep control of them is the nest is the challenge. also, the powerful items that the boss drop is also another incentive to creep clean red camps faster. Deathwing (the black dragon at the center) has the most powerful item (soul orb).
10) I know! XD the annoying dragon turtle is really hard in early! I will fix it! The idea is to rush with ships, cause zeps take longer to be ready.
11) Just for fun! XD I get bored of ogres and trolls also, they match with the theme of the map: elements are angry!

Anyway, tysm for the full review! <3 n_n/
critter are not creep... critter is somekind like animals... such as pig bird penguin sheep... not orge or trolls ._.
and what I try to say about the dragon is that each dragon have diffrent ability red got bronze and frost, blue got red and green...

just saying, I can delete my comment if you didn't like it.

Level 15
critter are not creep... critter is somekind like animals... such as pig bird penguin sheep... not orge or trolls ._.
and what I try to say about the dragon is that each dragon have diffrent ability red got bronze and frost, blue got red and green...

just saying, I can delete my comment if you didn't like it.

You are right bro, my bad! please DO NOT delete your comment!! I love it! xD It's just I'm not English speaker native so sometimes I mix my words (like creeps x creeters asjdlkasjkld)! but whatever, the point is that your comment helps me to improve the map and that is what really matters, not only for me but to future map developers! keep doing it pal! :) <3

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
The description doesn't say much about the map itself but about why it was made.

The edits are very subtle for this to be considered altered melee. It's basically replaced neutral camps with neutral heroes and other non-usual units from the game.

Substandard.

Delve into proper altered melee:

If you want more reviews, you should participate in the The Grand Review Exchange!

R U L E S

Site Rules
Map Submission Rules

M A P - D E S C R I P T I O N
BB CODES
BB Codes | HIVE

MELEE MAPS
Description Guide - Melee Maps
Describing Your Melee Map
Melee Map Description Generator v1.3

MAPS IN GENERAL
The importance of a Description
Description Guide - Maps
Map Thread Guide
Map Description Making: Good & Bad
Map Description - Templates
Map Description Generator [1.2]

How to Add a Screenshot to your Map Description

ADDITIONAL NECESSARY INFORMATION
  • A credits list in the map thread description is required where the names of the resource (models, skins, icons, spells, sound etc.) authors are mentioned along with the specific resource. It would be a luxury to have links leading to the used resources. Credits in the Quest Log would be appreciated too.
  • A detailed changelog in the first post would be helpful to reviewers and notify fans about the newest implementations to your map.
  • Map thread tags are important. Please use those that fit and not more or none.

M A P - C R E A T I O N - G U I D E S

If you're not satisfied with the review and wish another opinion, contact the other reviewers or use the staff contact:
Paillan
Alexen
eubz
https://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/staff-contact.692/